• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Review Thread Dood

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
+1 for revenge curry.

Also, does anything from the demo carry over?

Zonar

Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance |OT| Story? You mean the tutorial.

I have been lurking this thread daily.

OmegaDL50

Okay so far these are two most liked

Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance |OT| Revenge is a dish best served Curried

I'll let you guys continue to voice your opinion or make votes.

I'll tally them by Sunday 5PM EST and pick the one which is liked the most.

Thanks for everyone's participation.

They're both DLC as well. In fact, you can now play as
Zenon
version of Rozalin along with her normal self as of DD2/D5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30co6Z3jtdU

Video of some of their skills if you wanna watch.

I love those alliance attacks! I didn't think the DLC characters would get some too, that's awesome.

Edit: Tough choice. Both are pretty funny. I'll have to go with, "Story? You mean the tutorial" though.

Still biased towards my "Rules of Curry" joke, but it is a bit too meta.

Yup, this is the one, lol.

I LOVE how quick and smooth the game plays. Beautiful.

Didn't spend too much time with the demo so there was nothing amazing I transferred over. Highest character is 20 at the moment. Just leveling up some other classes and doing quests.

Unlocked the cheat shop. What a wonderful thing. Increased EXP and decreased everything else, as well as increased enemy strength a bit.

All these additions make playing so much fun. Don't get me wrong, this series has always been fun but it's such a time sink lol. With all of these added things, it benefits those, like myself, who don't have as much free time.

The nice benefit of monsters in later titles is the fact that you can fuse monsters together into a gigantic, four-square-occupying monster, and then fuse more monsters into another gigantic monster, and then put a humanoid next to both monsters, and then turn both monsters through magichange into gigantic swords that have the stats of your monsters on them as weapons so you can dual wield fused gigantic monsters turned into weapons.

I played Disgaea D2 and didn't even remember monster fusing and the magichange. I saw it mentioned in the demo for 5 and thought I might check it out. That sounds awesome though, can't believe I've been neglecting this mechanic.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I still prefer the "best served curried" one since story=intro is a pretty common feature for games with a postgame (e.g. Diablo 3). It's fine though, not like it's been used in titles.

Almost done grinding up my thief to 150 via soda chugging marathon, lol. It doesn't feel out of place at all considering the shenanigans we've been up to with previous entries. I wonder why people have been using 150? Must be something special that happens with class exp at that level.

If anyone else is doing that, make sure you turn fast forward on (hit R1 to get to the next settings pages) and set the skip speed to the max 4. It speeds up the turn end messages among other things. The setting description is misleading, it applies to more than just the skits.

Edit: ah, 188 to get L150 sage recruit with that ability makes sense.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Almost done grinding up my thief to 150 via soda chugging marathon, lol. It doesn't feel out of place at all considering the shenanigans we've been up to with previous entries. I wonder why people have been using 150? Must be something special that happens with class exp at that level

150 isn't a special benchmark, afaik. It's 188, which lets you create 150 level generics, which, if you have unlocked sage, gives you an early land decimate.

So i played the demo (loved it btw), but didn't do much grinding. Should i transfer the demo progress or start fresh?

First disgaea game btw

I played Disgaea D2 and didn't even remember monster fusing and the magichange. I saw it mentioned in the demo for 5 and thought I might check it out. That sounds awesome though, can't believe I've been neglecting this mechanic.

Monster Fusion only exists in 4. Magichange is only in 2DHD, 3 , 4 and 5. D2 had mounts instead.

Fou-Lu

I haven't played a Disgaea game since the first one, which I loved a lot. After playing the demo for a bit I think I will be picking this one up too. What kind of systems have been introduced since the first game that I should be aware of?

128 characters recruited (108 Gen + 20 Story)). Not sure if DLC included.

10 dispatch during the story. Can raise to 15 in postgame. There's a bill to make it 20 for the next map only. Zetta and Petta can combine to add 5 more twice. So the max Dispatch is 30.

Thanks to Etna, Zeroken , Majorita , Tyrant Val and Seraphina's upgraded overload you can have considerably more characters under your control. The latter 3 can't directly add characters to the map though.

There's a postgame map with around 100 enemies. Which I think is the largest.

That'd give a theoretical max of ~164 chars on a battle map.

OmegaDL50

128 characters recruited (108 Gen + 20 Story)). Not sure if DLC included.

10 dispatch during the story. Can raise to 15 in postgame. There's a bill to make it 20 for the next map only. Zetta and Petta can combine to add 5 more twice. So the max Dispatch is 30.

Thanks to Etna, Zeroken , Majorita , Tyrant Val and Seraphina's upgraded overload you can have considerably more characters under your control. The latter 3 can't directly add characters to the map though.

There's a postgame map with around 100 enemies. Which I think is the largest.

That'd give a theoretical max of ~164 chars on a battle map.

Considering the previous games started to have significant slowdown with 20+ units on screen, that is quite impressive.

I think I've messed up the story vs gen balance too by including starting chars. So take with a grain of salt. It should be within 5ish though.

Impulsor

I'm so on the fence. With all the big titles releasing... I dunno if this will grab me or not. I really like it because it brings me memories of the best games of psone, breath of fire, fftactics.. etc...

Halp.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm so on the fence. With all the big titles releasing... I dunno if this will grab me or not. I really like it because it brings me memories of the best games of psone, breath of fire, fftactics.. etc...

Halp.

You played the demo yet?

OmegaDL50

Probably not the place to ask this, but when does stuff from Nis's store usually ship?

They surprisingly ship sometimes a week before the release date to have the game arrive on the day or day before release. They have generally been good with this sort of thing in previous games too.

If your card was already charged and you haven't yet received a tracking number. Chances are you are likely to get your stuff before a tracking number actually drops. This happened to me before in the past.

EDIT - Voting for the OT subtitle ends in 20 minutes folks.

Going to start tallying the votes soon.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance |OT| Revenge is a dish best served Curried

Happy with either of those.

OmegaDL50

Okay based on all of the responses so far

This is the winner folks.

OT will go up tomorrow.

Sifl

They surprisingly ship sometimes a week before the release date to have the game arrive on the day or day before release. They have generally been good with this sort of thing in previous games too.

If your card was already charged and you haven't yet received a tracking number. Chances are you are likely to get your stuff before a tracking number actually drops. This happened to me before in the past.

EDIT - Voting for the OT subtitle ends in 20 minutes folks.

Going to start tallying the votes soon.
Thanks for the info, gonna see if I got charged yet since I didn't get a shipping notification.

chekhonte

I swore to myself 2 games ago that I'd never buy another NIS/Disgaea game but every time I end up doing it anyway.

OmegaDL50

Man I can't believe we are only one day from Disgaea 5 releasing in the US.

I am anxious to see what lies beyond the demo.

I think more games should do demos like Disgaea 5 had. A small introductory portion of the game that is part of the full package that lets you transfer your save to the retail version.

Having this sort of demo would let most players get a decent feel for the game if they like it or not, it would prevent a lot of issues when people buy a game and find out they don't really like it, even though the reviews may be positive.

There are lots of games that have decent scoring reviews but simply don't mesh well with my interests, being able to at least try to see if it might be something for me would probably push me towards checking out a lot of games out there.

Of course there is also the money factor too, but I digress that is a personal issue and has no reflection on if a game may or may not be worthwhile to purchase.

Foffy

Banned
Got a question for you homies. As someone who kiiiinda liked Disgaea 1 - I played the PSP remake - but got painfully bored at how much grinding it involved, do later games and potentially this solve that? I was planning on playing a good chunk of NIS' games over the summer, but the original Disgaea left a bad taste in my mouth because it seemed sparse on extra content but kinda demanded some grindygrinds for some of the regular game.

Shinjica

Got a question for you homies. As someone who kiiiinda liked Disgaea 1 - I played the PSP remake - but got painfully bored at how much grinding it involved, do later games and potentially this solve that? I was planning on playing a good chunk of NIS' games over the summer, but the original Disgaea left a bad taste in my mouth because it seemed sparse on extra content but kinda demanded some grindygrinds for some of the regular game.

The new game make the grind less boring but if you want to do all postgame content, you've to take some grind in consideration.

Edit: the basic story normally dont require grind, plus you can use the power leveling stage that help you for the main story.

OmegaDL50

It's pretty much unnecessary to grind for the story portion of a Disgaea game. Especially if you take advantage of every mechanic the game gives you.

As for the comment about a Disgaea game being sparse on extra content, haha...Let me just say this, typically takes 25 to 30 hours just to get to end of the story campaign, Completing the post-game and full mastery, one can easily go into hundreds of hours.

Each game in the series reiterates upon the last game but with a revision of various tweaks and mechanics. Generally streamlining things were necessary and removing outdated and less frustrating mechanics when needed.

Case in point Disgaea 1 experience could only be obtained by two means, Killing enemies or characters standing on the field at the end of battle when a experience bonus was available on the bonus gauge.

Since then with things like Magichange, The Cheat Shop, Squads, and various other additions makes leveling multiple characters at the same time practical to the point it's possible to raise a character from level 1 into the hundreds for just exp being shared from a higher level character doing specific tasks.

Man, I really want to play this.... Have they hinted about a Vita version at all yet?

I highly doubt Disgaea 5 will get re-released on the Vita considering several major concessions would need to be made.

Disgaea 4 on the Vita had issues with slowdown when there was 15+ units on screen in the Campaign HQ and every 10th Item World level.

Disgaea D2 on the PS3 had similar issues and had crashes when too much happened at once.

In D5 your main base holds 100+ units on screen all at the same time, also the overall maps are larger and deployment count is higher. Unless a lot of this stuff was gutted, only then would a Vita version be possible.

The fact that Disgaea 5 isn't even a PS3 game is telling enough as it is.

Foffy

Banned
It's pretty much unnecessary to grind for the story portion of a Disgaea game. Especially if you take advantage of every mechanic the game gives you.

As for the comment about a Disgaea game being sparse on extra content, haha...Let me just say this, typically takes 25 to 30 hours just to get to end of the story campaign, Completing the post-game and full mastery, one can easily go into hundreds of hours.

Each game in the series reiterates upon the last game but with a revision of various tweaks and mechanics. Generally streamlining things were necessary and removing outdated and less frustrating mechanics when needed.

Case in point Disgaea 1 experience could only be obtained by two means, Killing enemies or characters standing on the field at the end of battle when a experience bonus was available on the bonus gauge.

Since then with things like Magichange, The Cheat Shop, Squads, and various other additions makes leveling multiple characters at the same time practical to the point it's possible to raise a character from level 1 into the hundreds for just exp being shared from a higher level character doing specific tasks.

I highly doubt Disgaea 5 will get re-released on the Vita considering several major concessions would need to be made.

Disgaea 4 on the Vita had issues with slowdown when there was 15+ units on screen in the Campaign HQ and every 10th Item World level.

Disgaea D2 on the PS3 had similar issues and had crashes when too much happened at once.

In D5 your main base holds 100+ units on screen all at the same time, also the overall maps are larger and deployment count is higher. Unless a lot of this stuff was gutted, only then would a Vita version be possible.

The fact that Disgaea 5 isn't even a PS3 game is telling enough as it is.

So, my issues with grinding being very bland and lifeless in Disgaea 1 has been addressed in later games? I've been trying to have a party in a general level bracket typically similar to those of the enemy in the campaign, but it's just become so fucking boring and time consuming to do it all, that I just stopped playing the game three months ago.

I got up to 13-3 after 60 hours and realized this shit was too tedious for my liking, and actually made me almost totally uninterested in NIS other games. This was odd because I really liked La Pucelle and even Rhapsody. I can only take your word that they made grinding and leveling up less of a Buddhistic effort of trying to be at peace as one suffers.

My limited edition copy arrived in the mail today. Hopefully I'll have some time to dig into it tonight after work. Loved the demo.

OmegaDL50

So, my issues with grinding being very bland and lifeless in Disgaea 1 has been addressed in later games? I've been trying to have a party in a general level bracket typically similar to those of the enemy in the campaign, but it's just become so fucking boring and time consuming to do it all, that I just stopped playing the game three months ago.

I got up to 13-3 after 60 hours and realized this shit was too tedious for my liking, and actually made me almost totally uninterested in NIS other games. This was odd because I really liked La Pucelle and even Rhapsody. I can only take your word that they made grinding and leveling up less of a Buddhistic effort of trying to be at peace as one suffers.

If you are up to 13-3....I have some helpful information for you

Go to a map called 5-3 Terrible Cold. The entire field will be covered with invincibility panels. The trick is to throw all of the monsters on top of each other. When an enemy unit is thrown into another enemy unit they merge and combine together. Continue to do this until all of the monsters are a single super strong enemy.

The object is to get this enemy and throw it onto the single square on the entire map that doesn't have an invincible floor and completely surround the one enemy where it cannot move from that one spot. And use the Invicibilities advantage to not die against the strong monster and use team attacks, spells and skill combos to chip it's HP little by little.

Whoever lands the killing blow on this monster will get a crap ton of experience and increase levels rapidly.

Also if you are playing the PSP version, there is an item in the shop that is bugged called a Foresight, the one you are looking for has a resident called Statistician.

For every Statistician on a weapon equates to 1% additional EXP gain. So 300 of them means 300% exp gain on top of your base.

So if a monster gives you 1000 exp and with 300% bonus that is 100% Base + 300% Bonus = 400% EXP multiplier x 1000 exp = 4000 experience points.

This is the most effective ways to get experience, also if you fight enemies on top of exp panels the experience effect stacks more so, which extremely expedites the leveling process.

Generally trying to have a party that is equal strength with the enemy is a fine for the sake of challenge, but Disgaea generally is designed to overwhelm the enemy with higher numbers. Which is why systems like Item World exist. You won't ever encounter enemies with an item higher than level 1, but you can take some weak ass sword and raise it 100 and basically throw it on a weak character and streamroll through higher enemies.

Shinjica

Go to a map called 5-3 Terrible Cold. The entire field will be covered with invincibility panels. The trick is to throw all of the monsters on top of each other. When an enemy unit is thrown into another enemy unit they merge and combine together. Continue to do this until all of the monsters are a single super strong enemy.

The object is to get this enemy and throw it onto the single square on the entire map that doesn't have an invincible floor and completely surround the one enemy where it cannot move from that one spot. And use the Invicibilities advantage to not die against the strong monster and use team attacks, spells and skill combos to chip it's HP little by little.

Whoever lands the killing blow on this monster will get a crap ton of experience and increase levels rapidly.

Also if you are playing the PSP version, there is an item in the shop that is bugged called a Foresight, the one you are looking for has a resident called Statistician.

For every Statistician on a weapon equates to 1% additional EXP gain. So 300 of them means 300% exp gain on top of your base.

So if a monster gives you 1000 exp and with 300% bonus that is 100% Base + 300% Bonus = 400% EXP multiplier x 1000 exp = 4000 experience points.

This is the most effective ways to get experience, also if you fight enemies on top of exp panels the experience effect stacks more so, which extremely expedites the leveling process.

Generally trying to have a party that is equal strength with the enemy is a fine for the sake of challenge, but Disgaea generally is designed to overwhelm the enemy with higher numbers. Which is why systems like Item World exist. You won't ever encounter enemies with an item higher than level 1, but you can take some weak ass sword and raise it 100 and basically throw it on a weak character and streamroll through higher enemies.

There is the level 99 trick too. Enemy with level 99 give exp like they were at level 323

Foffy

Banned

Been doing that to actually try and keep my party similarly leveled in the game. I have seen that stage almost 100 times, and if that's the grinding spot for the game, no wonder it got old for me, fast.

Figured I'd play the demo to 5 before going back to the first game, and I already see improvements to stuff I couldn't stand. Is 5 the first game that lets you recruit people and not have them start at level 1? It seems like such a smart decision, and I worry every other title kinda omits that feature. :p

Top Bottom