• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider |OT| The Other Side of The Coin

Morts

So im totally stuck on the final level

After you "use" the dead god's eye. Is there some kind of path way that Im missing here to get around the first group of monsters and cultists? Seems like you have to fight them since there is no sneaky routes around them and its totally pissing me off.
Also how do you kill these monster things? I thought I read that you could stun them and then execute but I cant seem to do any damage to them at all.

Ive liked this expansion for the most part up until this point, but this section seems poorly designed.

I just
ran like hell. I'm sure there's something I'm missing, but I agree that section was a letdown after the rest of the game.

DukeBobby

Yup. First game had some stellar voice acting talent:

Admiral Havelock - John Slattery (Roger from Mad Men)
Daud - Michael Madsen
Calista Curnow - Lena Headey
Emily Kaldwin - Chloe Grace Moretz

Yep, stellar talent wasted on such poorly developed characters. Well, aside from Daud.

Why hire Brad Dourif and have him voice a glorified merchant? He's perfect for villain roles.

I just
ran like hell. I'm sure there's something I'm missing, but I agree that section was a letdown after the rest of the game.

Yeah, I tried this last night and got pretty far but got lost cornered in that guys office attempting to get the low chaos method.

This level really is shit, probably the worst Dishonored level Ive played.

I miss Blink and Far Reach. I need that instant jump for my playstyle. I'm doing a lethal but ghost run. That's my style. They know something is going on but no idea who or what and can't stop it. Really love exploring the levels though. Arkane games are probably my favorite right now. I'll buy whatever they put out.

After you "use" the dead god's eye. Is there some kind of path way that Im missing here to get around the first group of monsters and cultists? Seems like you have to fight them since there is no sneaky routes around them and its totally pissing me off.
Also how do you kill these monster things? I thought I read that you could stun them and then execute but I cant seem to do any damage to them at all.

Ive liked this expansion for the most part up until this point, but this section seems poorly designed.

Yep. This level is very unintuitive. I usually play without mission indicators, but had to turn them on here because nothing in the level made any sense.

You can sneak by them, but it's a lot of chance. Basically...

Above the God's Eye thing there's a small crawl space, you can find it because there are wires for lights going up through it. You can crawl through that and either kill the monster thing by using several shots of your bolt gun and then performing a melee on them when you're close especially if you charge it up. You can also sneak around the first guy by distracting him by thwoing an object from where you are up above him, he'll go investigate, and then you can sneak around and use the lights to keep moving. I had already dispatched a lot of the humans in this area in my play through going through it, so when I went back I didn't have to contend with most of them. For instance, i had already cleared out that whole area near the guy's office when I Was coming up through there, so that was kind of a safe zone for me.

One thing about these monsters is they have a much further track that they walk around. They're more similar to the guys on stilts from Dishonored 1 than they are any other enemy... they cover a lot of ground, which makes it easier to sneak around them, but also they cover a lot of territory too.

You can also kill them by using the Displace where you displace into them. That stuns them pretty severely and you can then melee them. It's tough to time though. The bone charm where you get half damage by using displace into a person helps here too.

Mostly though that level is the worst Dishonored level ever. The level isn't intuitive at all and many of the zones aren't built well. Particularly the 2nd floor of that factory where you have 3 or 4 "workers" and then an overseer-type... I skipped it
by using the elevator w/ 3 bodies on it
, but I'm a completionist and I like to go through areas, but that area basically forces you to have to use force to get through that spot. It's poorly done.

Yep. This level is very unintuitive. I usually play without mission indicators, but had to turn them on here because nothing in the level made any sense.

You can sneak by them, but it's a lot of chance. Basically...

Above the God's Eye thing there's a small crawl space, you can find it because there are wires for lights going up through it. You can crawl through that and either kill the monster thing by using several shots of your bolt gun and then performing a melee on them when you're close especially if you charge it up. You can also sneak around the first guy by distracting him by thwoing an object from where you are up above him, he'll go investigate, and then you can sneak around and use the lights to keep moving. I had already dispatched a lot of the humans in this area in my play through going through it, so when I went back I didn't have to contend with most of them.

One thing about these monsters is they have a much further track that they walk around. They're more similar to the guys on stilts from Dishonored 1 than they are any other enemy... they cover a lot of ground.

You can also kill them by using the Displace where you displace into them. That stuns them pretty severely and you can then melee them. It's tough to time though. The bone charm where you get half damage by using displace into a person helps here too.

Mostly though that level is the worst Dishonored level ever. The level isn't intuitive at all and many of the zones aren't built well. Particularly the 2nd floor of that factory where you have 3 or 4 "workers" and then an overseer-type... I skipped it
, but I'm a completionist and I like to go through areas, but that area basically forces you to have to use force to get through that spot. It's poorly done.

I basically just ran through the final level. I've got to say, it was not very fun to travel through.

In the end, this game wasn't as fun as the others. I really didn't feel the power set, but still had fun until that last section. Though the ending was interesting. I wonder what they will do if they make another Dishonored.
Will the Outsider still play a part? Even though he's human now, he does have all that knowledge.

Coreda

I miss Blink and Far Reach. I need that instant jump for my playstyle. I'm doing a lethal but ghost run. That's my style. They know something is going on but no idea who or what and can't stop it. Really love exploring the levels though. Arkane games are probably my favorite right now. I'll buy whatever they put out.

There's a bonecharm I used that makes double-tapping the Power button instantly teleport using Displace. Better than nothing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yep, stellar talent wasted on such poorly developed characters. Well, aside from Daud.

Why hire Brad Dourif and have him voice a glorified merchant? He's perfect for villain roles.

I think he is better for creepy, although not necessarily villian, roles.

Piero actually was pretty creepy.

I basically just ran through the final level. I've got to say, it was not very fun to travel through.

In the end, this game wasn't as fun as the others. I really didn't feel the power set, but still had fun until that last section. Though the ending was interesting. I wonder what they will do if they make another Dishonored.
Will the Outsider still play a part? Even though he's human now, he does have all that knowledge.

They've said that this game will be the last in this arc so we'll see. Arkane definitely wants to come back to this continent and world, but it sounds like it'll be set in a very different time period and place if they do.

I don't think the Outsider would be a part of future Dishonored games. Not spoilering that because, well, the game is called "The Death of the Outsider" :)

Lijik

Actually I suspect
if anyone plays an Outsider-esque role in a future game, itd be Billie. At the end of the Dishonored 2 prequel comic she shows up with her DOTO look having traveled through time to rescue the lieutenant that was helping Corvo and whisks her to some other time period. Suffice to say they havent delved into when Billie's Most Excellent Adventure starts happening yet

edit- heres the page in question.
i forgot she had the knife too

tumblr_oxwf07vjC71uy01k4o1_1280.jpg

Timeaisis

The
monsters lose sight of you pretty easily and are pretty slow, so I found it best to just keep evading them, regardless of if they spot you.
There was a part of that where I swear I just booked it from one end to the other because I got frustrated haha.

And I completely agree with your assessment of the design of that section. Really feels like they ran out of time. Shame, the rest of the level design is really great.

The hardest bit for me was when you get to the
large "library" and there's a balcony in the middle and then a pathway to the right with like 10 dudes in it.
I had to completely brute force my way through that bit. Couldn't find a sneaky alternative at all. And I was playing on hard, so it became quite a challenge dispatching 10 guys head on.

I think that you might
play as the Outsider in future installments. Seeking revenge and all that, but now as a mortal man. Gain back some limited Outsider powers and there you go. I think a story out of that follows pretty easily.
At least, that's what I hope. How cool would that be?

Coreda

The hardest bit for me was when you get to the
large "library" and there's a balcony in the middle and then a pathway to the right with like 10 dudes in it.
I had to completely brute force my way through that bit. Couldn't find a sneaky alternative at all. And I was playing on hard, so it became quite a challenge dispatching 10 guys head on.

If you mean the area where they're at their desks joining the immediately connecting path after you enter that place then you actually can avoid it entirely
and jump down over the balcony you're on initially, down to the floor part and then Displace between the chandeliers until you reach the middle bridge and onto the next section

Ed: spoiler tagged some vague area descriptions.

BraXzy

Sunk my teeth back into this for a good few hours last night, only on level 2 but taking my time. In the past games I've always gone for stealth none lethal but I decided in this one I'd go stealth lethal but not care if I alert anyone.

It's nice to feel a bit less restricted but I probably picked the wrong game for it considering some of the badass upgrades you get for kills in D2. Will need a replay at some point.

I cannot get over how good the level design is. So cleverly interwoven, I need to just go back through at some point to really take it in.

Valdega

Weird that people are having so much trouble with the final level. I was able to get through it without being detected and without incapacitating anyone (on the highest difficulty). I also explored every nook and cranny and stole everything I could find (including pickpocketing every NPC). Though, the bone charm that reduces the perception of marked enemies was essential. On the highest difficulty, enemies detect you almost instantly so that charm was basically mandatory for my ghost thief playthrough. Stacking the sneak speed and traversal charms was handy as well.

I didn't really have trouble with it, I just thought it was the worst designed Dishonored level probably since the sewer level in Dishonored 1 (another level that mostly forces you along a set path).

Also playing it on consoles made it very difficult to know where to go once you went to the giant eye thing. Like,
needing to go back to the beginning was not clear at all
. I figured it out eventually after exhausting all other options basically.

Coreda

Also playing it on consoles made it very difficult to know where to go once you went to the giant eye thing. Like,
needing to go back to the beginning was not clear at all
. I figured it out eventually after exhausting all other options basically.

I genuinely wondered why you can't just
jump down over the platform beside the skewered body, onto the suspended platform further down and then onto the area below.
Like, there's nothing that appears to be impossible about it logically—you can easily cast Displace while moving along the rock face or when falling, yet when moving down there you hit a death floor.

jump down over the platform beside the skewered body, onto the suspended platform further down and then onto the area below.
Like, there's nothing that appears to be impossible about it logically—you can easily cast Displace while moving along the rock face or when falling, yet when moving down there you hit a death floor.

I thought about the same thing and legit thought that's what I had to do for like 10mins. Just seemed like bad design. In a game like Dishonored, if you can see someplace, it's lousy design for you to not be able to get there if your character normally could in another cirucmstance. It's one thing in a game like Uncharted or something which you know has a very stilted, linear path to take and it's clear when the game doesn't want you to go someplace, but in a game like Dishonored which is all about making your own path depending on the tools you have, it really interupts the illusion of the game when the game just blocks you from going someplace or kills you for goign somewhere.

Interestingly, this is something that Dishonored 1 and 2 did very well in their last levels... Both of which had you climb up a tower (Death of the Outsider basically has you do the same), and while you can't get to the top of the tower from the outside (at least.... it's probably very very difficult though I bet someone has done it), the game does allow you to get back to the beginning from the outside as long as you are creative with your falls. It's a shame that Death of the Outsider got that aspect so wrong.

Coreda

Interestingly, this is something that Dishonored 1 and 2 did very well in their last levels... Both of which had you climb up a tower (Death of the Outsider basically has you do the same), and while you can't get to the top of the tower from the outside (at least.... it's probably very very difficult though I bet someone has done it), the game does allow you to get back to the beginning from the outside as long as you are creative with your falls.

You betcha. Technique explained here. Blew me away when I saw it used for the GDC run.

Hale-XF11

It's doable because I've done it.

Coreda

It's doable because I've done it.

Have any tips? I tried descending from the right side, while casting Displace both along the rock face and atop the suspended bridge but hit a death barrier each time. Is it timing or is there a certain position where one can avoid dying?

Edit: launched a save I had right at the edge and tried from the other (left/middle) side—success! Here is my drawn step-by-step for those interested.

Hale-XF11

Have any tips? I tried descending from the right side, while casting Displace both along the rock face and atop the suspended bridge but hit a death barrier each time. Is it timing or is there a certain position where one can avoid dying?

Edit: launched a save I had right at the edge and tried from the other (left/middle) side—success! Here is my drawn step-by-step for those interested.

Nice! I did what you did at first and finally pulled it off by using displace while falling (just before it can register as a death fall) after bouncing/sliding off the rock face and that resulted in a successful landing on the bridge. I also got lucky once and landed on the ground without dying somehow, but then was immediately killed by one of those monsters.

Just beat it. Lethal but never spotted which my preferred play style. Interesting ending. I really love these games and the world that they’ve built so I hope we keep getting them. Lots of potential in the only mentioned areas and we haven’t been to Pandyssia yet.

Top Bottom