• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider |OT| The Other Side of The Coin

Do I need to complete Dishonored 2 first before getting this? I did like Dishonored 2 but I fell off of it and have been meaning to come back to it. That said, this sounds real good from what I heard.

Dishonored 2 is better. You could play this alone, but DH2 is a better game in just about every way, but DotO is still good. DH2 is just great.

chrixter

Played 30+ hours over several playthroughs. It might be my least favorite of the four Dishonored campaigns but it's still the game I've enjoyed the most this year.

Billie's powers offer a more tactical gameplay experience that I found really fun and satisfying, and the redesign of the mana system is so liberating. Displace and Foresight are such useful mechanics that I think I'd probably choose them over their previous counterparts in a lot of scenarios. Didn't feel much need or desire to use Semblance, though.

Combat isn't as fun for me as it is in previous games. Billie's power set and weaponry options feel more limited in that regard.

Level design isn't as elaborate, but I appreciate the higher density of enemies and NPCs which made eliminating everyone without detection (as I like to do) very challenging in certain spots.

Mission 3 is noteworthy for featuring a prominent music track that significantly enhanced the tension. I wish the series would utilize music that way more often.

Bonecharm randomization continues to be my least favorite aspect of the series. That and the lack of a true NG+ mode are disappointing.

Probably won't come back to this one as much but I really enjoyed my time with the game. I savored it as much as I could since we probably won't see anything from either Arkane studio for a few years (unless Prey gets some DLC).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Currently continuing my Dishonored run in anticipation for this. Finished the Definitive Edition's main game of the first Dishonored and the Brigmore Witches DLC content. Maybe it's because I'm playing the games in a much more stable manner, but it seemed a lot easier then what i remember on the 360.

Have ordered both Dishonored 2 and this which should be arriving Tuesday.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Currently continuing my Dishonored run in anticipation for this. Finished the Definitive Edition's main game of the first Dishonored and the Brigmore Witches DLC content. Maybe it's because I'm playing the games in a much more stable manner, but it seemed a lot easier then what i remember on the 360.

Have ordered both Dishonored 2 and this which should be arriving Tuesday.

I started replaying my 360 copy of Dishonored and yeah it's striking how much easier it is than Dishonored 2 (which I realize you haven't started yet). Enemies appear to have a shorter vision cone in the original Dishonored, and I find myself able to get much closer to them without getting spotted. The enemies are significantly more aware and harder to avoid in Dishonored 2.

Played 30+ hours over several playthroughs. It might be my least favorite of the four Dishonored campaigns but it's still the game I've enjoyed the most this year.

Billie's powers offer a more tactical gameplay experience that I found really fun and satisfying, and the redesign of the mana system is so liberating. Displace and Foresight are such useful mechanics that I think I'd probably choose them over their previous counterparts in a lot of scenarios. Didn't feel much need or desire to use Semblance, though.

Combat isn't as fun for me as it is in previous games. Billie's power set and weaponry options feel more limited in that regard.

Level design isn't as elaborate, but I appreciate the higher density of enemies and NPCs which made eliminating everyone without detection (as I like to do) very challenging in certain spots.

Mission 3 is noteworthy for featuring a prominent music track that significantly enhanced the tension. I wish the series would utilize music that way more often.

Bonecharm randomization continues to be my least favorite aspect of the series. That and the lack of a true NG+ mode are disappointing.

Probably won't come back to this one as much but I really enjoyed my time with the game. I savored it as much as I could since we probably won't see anything from either Arkane studio for a few years (unless Prey gets some DLC).

Agree with a lot of this. Least favorite Dishonored but that still puts it a step above most other games. I didn't use Semblance except maybe once (then again I was playing lethally so I didn't have anyone to use Semblance on). Combat was also much more difficult since Billie's powers aren't built for it.

I don't mind the bonecharm randomization though, although I did find them to be heavily weighted towards the final mission. I think I doubled my bonecharm collection in that mission alone. I played through the whole game without getting the bonecharm that adds a fourth mana bar, so that's annoying. But it's not an issue in other Dishonoreds because you have the heart to point you to all the charms in the level. In this game if you don't know where the charms are until you're near one, so it's harder to go around collecting all the charms in the level.

Ricker

In the second area,how are you suppose to do the contracts for the Mime or the Bartender without killing anyone,especially bartender? I have a feeling I dont understand how Semblance works or something...I kept a save before leaving the area and did the main mission...

illusionary

In the second area,how are you suppose to the contracts for the Mime or the Bartender without killing anyone,especially bartender? I have a feeling I dont understand how Semblance works or something...I kept a save before leaving the area and did the main mission...

For the mime, you can (for example), use a hagpearl to scare away the surrounding civilians first; for the bartender, if you knock out one of the civilians or guards in the area while they're in the area around the bottom of the stairs, you should find that most of the others will eventually leave the bar area to investigate and allow you to knock them out also.

It may be worth me mentioning that while there's a trophy/achievement for completion any one mission with no kills, there's nothing for maintaining this throughout a complete playthrough - indeed, if you're trying to complete all contracts, you'll be required to accrue a large number of kills by the end of the game.

Kambing

Diving into this game now... Bought at lunch when I read that performance was quite good on PC. Speaking of which, the game does perform exceptionally well for me, but I am finding that I get random freezing/crashing every 10 to 30 minutes. Have no idea what’s causing this. Fortunately it’s kind of ruining the experience. Anyone have any idea?

Ricker

For the mime, you can (for example), use a hagpearl to scare away the surrounding civilians first; for the bartender, if you knock out one of the civilians or guards in the area while they're in the area around the bottom of the stairs, you should find that most of the others will eventually leave the bar area to investigate and allow you to knock them out also.

It may be worth me mentioning that while there's a trophy/achievement for completion any one mission with no kills, there's nothing for maintaining this throughout a complete playthrough - indeed, if you're trying to complete all contracts, you'll be required to accrue a large number of kills by the end of the game.

Ok,will give it a shot but everytime I kill the Mime so far,I fail...

You have to make the Mime's death look like a suicide, so you only want to kill him in a pretty specific area. It's near where the Mime stands, but I'll let you discover it.

You can also knock out the two spectators with chloroform and other nonletthal ways of dealing with them.

The bartender one is weird... Most of the guests scatter when they're alarmed, they're not necessarily hostile to you, and there is a place n the bar that you can hide out and take advantage of the situation.

Agree with a lot of this. Least favorite Dishonored but that still puts it a step above most other games. I didn't use Semblance except maybe once (then again I was playing lethally so I didn't have anyone to use Semblance on). Combat was also much more difficult since Billie's powers aren't built for it.

I thought the same thing about Semblance until Mission 4, where you have that particularly ... bloody ... contract. Especially when combined with the bonecharm that gives 4 mana blocks, Semblance allowed me to kill entire rooms of people unnoticed. If you stealthily kill someone while using semblance, the other people around them do not notice you or anything out of the ordinary. You can also do things like sneak into an area and rewire or reprogram clockwork soldiers and then watch them turn on all of the guards.

There was one area in Mission 4
the main art gallery
where there's about 8 or 9 guards plus 3 or 4 sisters in the area, and I started with one knocked out guard, used semblance to steal his face, then took out almost everybody in that area before choking the last one... Let my mana replenish, and finished the job. Probably motored through 10 or 12 enemies quicker than I'd ever killed that many before.

But my "violent" play throughs are typically stealth + violence.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm interesting, using Semblance to rewire Clockwork Soldiers is genius. Wish I'd thought of that. I avoided them the hard way.

Is the Voltaic shock useless as an offensive weapon? I feel like I can use it to distract/get enemies attention, but shooting them does nothing.

Coreda

Finished my non-lethal playthrough. Have to say I found DH2 more satisfying in general. Enjoyed the Upper Cyria district in DotO the most due to having more ins-and-outs around the buildings, and for its verticality, but the later maps get progressively more linear in their paths (felt most in the returning areas).

As for Displace it's hit and miss. On the one hand it provides a unique way of setting pre-marked teleportation points (with some extended range when marked via Foresight), but most of the time I just used it with the bonecharm that made it like Blink. Still prefer Emily's Far Reach for its momentum and slingshotty behavior. Not requiring mana consumables was brilliant though, might be my favorite aspect.

Damn, I swear they just go into instant alert mode and chase me. Maybe they're alerting other guards in the vacinity that end up bum rushing me.

I'll keep experimenting with it.

Aimed directly at them it incapacitates enemies but if there are others around it's not a stealthy method since others go on alert instantly.

Anung

Un Rama
I'd love to see Billy's powers patched into Dishonored 2 to see what stuff like Semblance would do to the game.

Coreda

I'd love to see Billy's powers patched into Dishonored 2 to see what stuff like Semblance would do to the game.

Yeah. While I only used it a few times for some otherwise tricky tasks in this game I could see it being interesting to use in the base game for blending in with guards and NPCs.

I managed to use Displace to continuously drop from a lamp post and take out the entire network of guards and dogs one by one in the courtyard of the bank.

Lijik

Billie seems the opposite of DH1 Corvo where her powers are almost entirely lopsided for stealth. If you're trying to be sneaky I think her three powers play off of each other incredibly well and semblance is one of the most OP powers in the series in that regard.

Anyways one dumb story that happened to me early on I dont think I posted about here but makes me chuckle whenever i think about it is once I bungled being stealthy in Upper Cyria (i think in mission 2) and had a guard rushing at me. As he did so he bellowed "WHO LEFT THIS DOOR OPEN?". It was a glitch but the unintentional power move of shouting absolute nonsense worked and left me completely frozen as he slashed me limb from limb while I tried processing what the fuck was going on

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

The way I did it was so simple that I wasnt even expecting it to work. I ran up and choked out the Mime. The two civilians watching ran off to alert guards. I carried the Mime and threw him over the cliff before any guards showed up and ran away.

The only thing I really liked from that mission was the call backs to Dishonored 2, which I appreciated... Things like the gallery being closed off/renovations, the lenses, call back sto the Oracular order, things that had changed but were still fucked up from your last visit. I really like details like that in games that call back previous events and are there for people who are really into the lore.

I like that the guy's apartment which had all of those traps was previously the one taken over by bloodflies, and his crazy self became a bloodfly curator of sorts, and then he (presumably?) built all of those traps.

Something that I don't like was how they changed the Dreadful Whale and made it so much simpler. It didn't really make sense to me this time around why they'd change it.

Just finished that mission last night and I agree, and it’s only a portion of the size of the original mission. Mission 5 has been great so far though.

Nice looking forward to 5.

The only thing I really liked from that mission was the call backs to Dishonored 2, which I appreciated... Things like the gallery being closed off/renovations, the lenses, call back sto the Oracular order, things that had changed but were still fucked up from your last visit. I really like details like that in games that call back previous events and are there for people who are really into the lore.

I like that the guy's apartment which had all of those traps was previously the one taken over by bloodflies, and his crazy self became a bloodfly curator of sorts, and then he (presumably?) built all of those traps.

Something that I don't like was how they changed the Dreadful Whale and made it so much simpler. It didn't really make sense to me this time around why they'd change it.

Excellent eye for detail!

Kambing

Diving into this game now... Bought at lunch when I read that performance was quite good on PC. Speaking of which, the game does perform exceptionally well for me, but I am finding that I get random freezing/crashing every 10 to 30 minutes. Have no idea what’s causing this. Fortunately it’s kind of ruining the experience. Anyone have any idea?

Just an update... if any of you on PC ever experience this, I fixed it. Turns out my RAM timings were a bit too loose. Tightened the timings on my Ryzen system and, voila, no more random crashing. This was hard to diagnose!

I finished one play through at 9 hours. I enjoyed it, not as much as Dishonored 2 but I got my money's worth I feel like. Not going to go crazy like I did for Dishonored 2 and play it 4 more times though. Might get another play through but a lot of games coming out the next few months.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Doing all the contracts is making the play time a lot longer for me. Mission 3 took me over three hours.

Yeah the contracts add a lot of playtime to the game. Adds additional objectives and makes you explore the levels further. Brilliant addition to the series.

Ricker

I'm kinda disappointed that Mission 4 for the most part feels like such a retread of a level from Dishonored 2.

Speaking of mission 4,the contract about Alvarro and the Abbey might be glitched for me...? I went around 4 times,killed every soldier,overseer and blind witches,placed the guy on the musical chair but it wont complete...at first I always leave them unconscious but when I read the contract carefully,I had to go around again and kill all those I left unconscious...I hope there isnt one I threw somewhere unconscious and I dont see him to kill him...I have a save just before exiting the Mission,so I might look around a few more times...

Bunga

Picked this up off the store last night. Great so far. Decided to turn off objective markers and it is incredible how much more I feel like I'm immersed. I'm sad I didn't do this with the first two games on my first play throughs. I've been playing like 2 hours and I'm nowhere close to the end of first mission.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Made a thread about this, but Dishonored Definitive Edition is on sale for ~$6.85 for the next ~20 hours in case anyone is interested. I own it on 360 but decided to spring for the PC version since I've been itching to replay it.

Curufinwe

Speaking of mission 4,the contract about Alvarro and the Abbey might be glitched for me...? I went around 4 times,killed every soldier,overseer and blind witches,placed the guy on the musical chair but it wont complete...at first I always leave them unconscious but when I read the contract carefully,I had to go around again and kill all those I left unconscious...I hope there isnt one I threw somewhere unconscious and I dont see him to kill him...I have a save just before exiting the Mission,so I might look around a few more times...

For me it was a couple of Overseers who burst into the building across the road. I left them unconscious at the very start of the level before I started killing everyone.

illusionary

AFAIK there aren't any glitches around this contract, it's just damn hard to find every last overseer and witch. IIRC, you're looking for somewhere in the region of 52-55 kills total, excluding any civilians. I think that I must have wandered the level for at least an hour trying to track down the last few.

eXistor

Started playing it yesterday. Only did the first 2 missions and I'm already at 5 hours of play. I love scouring the levels for every little secret, every hidden pathway. These games always get way higher playtimes from me compared to the average. Love it.

Picked this up off the store last night. Great so far. Decided to turn off objective markers and it is incredible how much more I feel like I'm immersed. I'm sad I didn't do this with the first two games on my first play throughs. I've been playing like 2 hours and I'm nowhere close to the end of first mission.

It's the first thing I always do in these games. Having objective markers effectively kills the reason I play these games.

From what I remember, 53 deaths are needed in this mission. I might have that number wrong, but I remember hanging on 52 I think, and then finally getting #53 on an unconscious guard and it gave me the contract. It will tell you when you kill everyone and have him unconscious in the chair too, so you don't have to end the mission until you get that green check. The mission isn't glitched, there's just a lot of people to kill.

The trickiest ones to remember:
- The apartment across the street from the beginning, there's 3 guards there (and you probably did it before getting the contract at the black market)
- All of the guys in the gallery area
- The guys in the outside street

I had one left, and I thought I checked everywhere... I turned up my volume and listened for snoring sounds and eventually found the last guy, a guy who I walked over like 5 mins earlier, who was unconscious. As soon as I knifed him, I got the contract.

Pooya

Beat this last night, honestly it was very disappointing...

BL's abilities are actually really cool and more open ended, I liked it more than main game. It helps that you don't have to wait to get runes and unlock them too.

The problem is the content, there is just not that much. Saying this game has 5 missions is a stretch.

First one is basically a tiny tutorial level you can't do anything in.

The map for second and third one overlap quite a bit... 2nd mission is ok and I guess it's a new thing for the series to have this city roaming social stealth thing but it's really dull.

3rd mission is probably the peak of the game with the bank and it's not even that good but it's the only meaty mission in the game where you can do lots of things and it's exciting.

Fourth mission... is very short and it's a rehash of an existing level which wasn't all that good to begin with. Again not very fun either.

They try to pad these even more with contracts which are not very interesting and are at odds with the spirit of the series having these fetch quests. This is not what Dishonored is about.

Last mission is horrible, I hated it. It's really poor, I could rant about it a lot, it goes against the gameplay and freedom of the series, it's probably the worst mission in all of the games.... I have a feeling they ran out of budget and time here considering the state of other levels. Compared with DH2, this game is bad. DH1 DLC was so much better, this was a let down and to think this could be the last time we see Dishonored's universe, it's disappointing

So I have the bone charm where wolfhounds aren't supposed to be able to smell you. Yet when using semblance, they still detect me and attack. Is this a possible bug or am I doing something wrong?

I agree about the last level, it was one of my least favorite levels in any Dishonored game. The decisions it presented also felt really rushed and odd. Dishonored has always had some of those deus ex machina resolutions, but this one especially in how you can deal with the Outsider. The end of Dishonored 2 and the Daud DLC ended similarly with deus ex machina trope as the "peaceful" resolution, but it felt especially rushed and matter of fact for DotO, where as at least Dishonored 2 setup their ending with a bit more ... expose.

So I have the bone charm where wolfhounds aren't supposed to be able to smell you. Yet when using semblance, they still detect me and attack. Is this a possible bug or am I doing something wrong?

Probably a gap in how they planned this power.

Fun game but what a crap ending, the last gameplay and story moments are so poor compared to the rest of the game.

Dishonored 2 was much better, never finished the first so I hope it's decent.

What a desatisfying ending , I
set him free, then reload and watch the other ending, but ,it's disappoint that there is no fight, or no conversation with him about what he wants, etc
Apart from that, I enjoy it, but Dishonored 2 is a little better.

In the last mission
is it possible to kill the big creatures? they always get me

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Fun game but what a crap ending, the last gameplay and story moments are so poor compared to the rest of the game.

Dishonored 2 was much better, never finished the first so I hope it's decent.

The first game is fantastic. I re-bought it through the sale I posted earlier (I already own it and beat it on 360, but wanted the PC version), and even after Dishonored 2 and DotO I'm still really enjoying my time going back through the original. The powers and level design are superb so they carry the game very well, and painterly visuals still hold up well today.

What a desatisfying ending , I
set him free, then reload and watch the other ending, but ,it's disappoint that there is no fight, or no conversation with him about what he wants, etc
Apart from that, I enjoy it, but Dishonored 2 is a little better.

In the last mission
is it possible to kill the big creatures? they always get me

Yes, you can also use
displace into them, which stuns them, and then gives you an opportunity to finish them off w/ melee
. If you have the bonecharm where
displacing into someone uses half as much health
it makes it easier.

Pooya

so about the very very end
Those ghosts nearby Daud, were any of them characters we recognize from the past games? I didn't pay attention though I assume those are supposed to be all the other marked people. It would be cool if Granny Rags or Delilah were there for example, such a let down that ending was.

so about the very very end
Those ghosts nearby Daud, were any of them characters we recognize from the past games? I didn't pay attention though I assume those are supposed to be all the other marked people. It would be cool if Granny Rags or Delilah were there for example, such a let down that ending was.

Yeah I was looking for that too. As far as I could tell they were just generic characters, although FWIW, the only characters marked by the outsider who have died (in canon) are
Daud (obviously)
and Granny Rags / Vera Moray. In canon, I believe Deliliah is technically still alive, just sent to her eternal fake empire where she thinks she rules over things but she doesn't (if I remember the "good" ending of Dishonored 2 correctly).

Characters to look for would be a younger Vera Moray / Granny Rags and a child (the Lonely Rat Boy).

So im totally stuck on the final level

After you "use" the dead god's eye. Is there some kind of path way that Im missing here to get around the first group of monsters and cultists? Seems like you have to fight them since there is no sneaky routes around them and its totally pissing me off.
Also how do you kill these monster things? I thought I read that you could stun them and then execute but I cant seem to do any damage to them at all.

Ive liked this expansion for the most part up until this point, but this section seems poorly designed.

Top Bottom