• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

KevinCow

Banned
I like how the "bad" choices aren't straight up evil like MURDER THE INNOCENT CIVILIANS, they're just dickish and destructive. I usually hate playing the bad character in games with this kind of system, but I'm kinda looking forward to playing through a second time using thinner to solve most problems. Of course I have to be a goodie two-shoes my first time through, because that's just who I am.

KevinCow said:
I like how the "bad" choices aren't straight up evil like MURDER THE INNOCENT CIVILIANS, they're just dickish and destructive. I usually hate playing the bad character in games with this kind of system, but I'm kinda looking forward to playing through a second time using thinner to solve most problems. Of course I have to be a goodie two-shoes my first time through, because that's just who I am.
I swear if it wasn't for the fact that you think cows are faster swimmers then dolphins I'd agree with you like 99% of the time.

But I'm speaking from experience, cows sink.

one_kill

Anyone know how to complete the riddle quest in Ventureland?

And seeing how nobody's giving me quests anymore, what happens after I fight the Phantom Blot? Just the ending scene?

I'm very impressed with the collector's edition. The Mickey figurine is good quality and pretty big (slightly taller than a DS case standing up). The DVD is cool, has 8 making of videos (I've watched one so far, was Warren gushing about Oswald and the history of the character, complete with clips from his cartoons), concept art (not a lot there, but gorgeous stuff), and a cool bonus: 4 complete Mickey classic cartoons (the mirror one, clock cleaners, lonesome ghosts, and the whalers. The latter was hilarious; if Goofy lighting his own ass on fire and putting it out in a barrel of gunpowder doesn't make you laugh, you are a more mature soul than I :D ) The wiimote skin looks cool on my black wiimote, yay oswald! Now the one disappointing thing: the wii system skins are tiny and lame. They only cover half of each side of the system! That's not a skin, it's a sticker! The rest of the stuff makes up for that though. Good stuff.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
I'm very impressed with the collector's edition. The Mickey figurine is good quality and pretty big (slightly taller than a DS case standing up). The DVD is cool, has 8 making of videos (I've watched one so far, was Warren gushing about Oswald and the history of the character, complete with clips from his cartoons), concept art (not a lot there, but gorgeous stuff), and a cool bonus: 4 complete Mickey classic cartoons (the mirror one, clock cleaners, lonesome ghosts, and the whalers. The latter was hilarious; if Goofy lighting his own ass on fire and putting it out in a barrel of gunpowder doesn't make you laugh, you are a more mature soul than I :D ) The wiimote skin looks cool on my black wiimote, yay oswald! Now the one disappointing thing: the wii system skins are tiny and lame. They only cover half of each side of the system! That's not a skin, it's a sticker! The rest of the stuff makes up for that though. Good stuff.

Thanks for the impressions man! Now I kinda regret not getting the CE =(

Oh well, they had it at the local store here and I just wanted it right away...

fubarduck

Played for an hour without reading any reviews (or threads) and thought the game was awful for similar reasons other people stated (camera, crappy framerate, laggy pointer). Started reading the impressions in this thread and glad to see I'm not the only one that can't bring myself to play this game.

Was really looking forward to it, but it looks like one of those games where the marketing budget and Disney name pumped out a barely mediocre title. Sad times indeed, I can't recommend this game to anyone.

Back to DKC Returns!

After getting comfortable with the camera, mechinics, etc. The ONLY thing i'm still hung up on is the lack of actual voice acting.
I mean, it fucking sucks to be honest =/

Kard8p3

Impressions are all over the place with this game. Some people absolutely love it and some seem to hate it. I'm getting it within the next few days so I hope I end up liking it.

LevityNYC

Banned
I emailed Amazon.com about my broken mickey statue and they are shipping me another CE. I just need to return the game when I get the new box.

Great job by Amazon.

MYE said:
I dont get it either :lol
Beyond Good and Evil didn't have perfect controls or a perfect camera either, but it was very special. So is this game.
Just to clarify, I don't think Epic Mickey is the same kind of game as BG&E, only in terms of how unique and special and lovingly crafted it is, we won't see another game like it for another 5 or 6 years... just like it was wihen BG&E came out.

Anyway, I AM LOVING IT! I can already see a wide variety of things to do differently on my second playthrough. (I'm about 1/3 through I would guess). That's saying a lot for me as I traditionally don't do multiple playthroughs of anything.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
vagabondarts said:
Beyond Good and Evil didn't have perfect controls or a perfect camera either, but it was very special. So is this game.
Just to clarify, I don't think Epic Mickey is the same kind of game as BG&E, only in terms of how unique and special and lovingly crafted it is, we won't see another game like it for another 5 or 6 years... just like it was wihen BG&E came out.
I think I just felt a pang of something I usually associate with being personally insulted.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the way people are describing it sounds more like PSYCHONAUTS. platforming that is pretty middling with tons of design and technical issues, but you stick with it because there are moments of inspiration and charm between all the struggles to actually play the damn thing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Psychonauts is on a whole other level of playability and general platforming, combat and quest design.

Each level in that game oozed creativity and some sort of original design. A lot of Epic Mickey just looks like a video game. Sheet metal, green ooze and cogs.

It's hard to exaggerate how much potential has been wasted here. :(

MYE

beelzebozo said:
the way people are describing it sounds more like PSYCHONAUTS. platforming that is pretty middling with tons of design and technical issues, but you stick with it because there are moments of inspiration and charm between all the struggles to actually play the damn thing.

Yes, pretty much

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Rez said:
Psychonauts is on a whole other level of playability and general platforming, combat and quest design.

Each level in that game oozed creativity and some sort of original design. A lot of Epic Mickey just looks like a video game. Sheet metal, green ooze and cogs.

It's hard to exaggerate how much potential has been wasted here. :(

as a fan of mickey and disney and video games and oozing and things that are cool, that is extremely disappointing.

gamingeek

Personally I feel like the people who have played it for a couple of hours and given up haven't even got to the part where the game really starts properly, which is after the Mean Street quests.

Also Gamespot review is in, 6.0 and it's the 5th review to not realise there is a lock on for combat. So that is IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, Joystiq and Metro who complain there is no lock on when there is - and then complain about combat in relation to the camera.

Kenka said:
Gametrailers just posted quite an unusual (and well executed) trailer :

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/707952.html

That trailer has a huge fucking spoiler in it that might ruin the end for some people. It did for me.

gamingeek said:
Also Gamespot review is in, 6.0 and it's the 5th review to not realise there is a lock on for combat. So that is IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, Joystiq and Metro who complain there is no lock on when there is - and then complain about combat in relation to the camera.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

gamingeek

AgentOtaku said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

It's funny, but it's also ridiculous.

Gamespot 6.0
Eurogamer 6/10
Metro 5/10

They all complain about there being no lock on for combat and that's why the camera is a problem. Oh wow, Metro have sneakily deleted the lock on statement from their review, you can see from the comments it was there. And they also seem to ignore the fact that you can tap C to recenter the camera, you "have to" wrestle with the d-pad according to them.

IGN 8.0
Joystiq 4/5

They seemed to still appreciate the game for what it is, even without knowing that you just hold down C to lock on enemies and tap it to lock off. Still some of the biggest names in games journalism blatantly being factually wrong on an issue they deem to be a problem. It's pretty sad. I'm not saying the camera is perfect or anything, but there IS a freaking lock on.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The lock on does little to alleviate the boredom that the combat presents and probably just serves as one of the reasons the C button never seems to work at the times you actually need the damn thing.

It's a shame the game does such a piss-poor job of learn->behavior that some people just forget it exists.

gamingeek

Rez said:
The lock on does little to alleviate the boredom that the combat presents and probably just serves as one of the reasons the C button never seems to work at the times you actually need the damn thing.

You hold it to lock on, tap it to let go.

When not locked on you just tap it to recenter behind mickey. If the camera is in an unmovable, fixed angle position, it's there to help you and generally there is nothing worthwhile in the area you can't see.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so it looks like I won't be jumping in. I was considering giving this a shot as I really want to support Warren's new studio and I like the premise, but the lack of polish would probably cause my head to explode. It sounds like they've done everything possible to sabotage their game. The jumpy cursor is kind of the last straw.

If the themes were more interesting (or more in line with the early concept art), I'd probably go for it regardless, but as it is, I don't think so. I mean, Deus Ex was *NOT* a polished game and I still loved it. The theme was very important, though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
gamingeek said:
You hold it to lock on, tap it to let go.

When not locked on you just tap it to recenter behind mickey. If the camera is in an unmovable, fixed angle position, it's there to help you and generally there is nothing worthwhile in the area you can't see.
This is just untrue. Often I can manually adjust the camera to a position which actually shows the platform in front of me, but, bizarrely, the c-button just won't do it.

gamingeek

dark10x said:
OK, so it looks like I won't be jumping in. I was considering giving this a shot as I really want to support Warren's new studio and I like the premise, but the lack of polish would probably cause my head to explode. It sounds like they've done everything possible to sabotage their game. The jumpy cursor is kind of the last straw.

I haven't had any jittery cursor issues. You guys sure it wasn't light bouncing off the end of the remote or sensor bar causing this? Or your setup? I know if I play on my 50" TV the sensor bar is so far up it adds too much distance between me and the bar, causing it to lose and regain the signal.

Rez said:
This is just untrue. Often I can manually adjust the camera to a position which actually shows the platform in front of me, but, bizarrely, the c-button just won't do it.

Unless they very deliberately fix the camera to a specific angle, tapping C to recenter always re-centers behind Mickey. If the platform in front of you is at a low angle you just press down on the d-pad to elevate the camera a bit. Mickey's generous double jump has meant I have very rarely jumped off a platform to my doom.

What I saw in the Gamespots video review for instance was a lot of stupid BS like jumping inwards towards the camera and expecting to land on a platform that wasn't even on the screen. If the guy would just hit the C button to look at the right angle, duh, it would work.

And also this part where he only thinned out part of a building on Mean street and forgot to thin the ceiling, thinking the game was broken when it was his own stupidity. How do you jump through a ceiling Gamespot? Please tell me.

Hiltz

I gave it a lot of thought and decided to skip this game for now. Sorry, Spector.

My gaming budget is at its limit anyway and I'd rather spend it on a game that I'd have no regrets about. I'm not expecting a sequel from this game, at least not on the Wii. If this were an expanded audience title, then perhaps it would sell a ton despite the unacceptable technical issues and frusterating design choices. Unfortunately, I think Epic Mickey will be the next third-party victim to bomb. However, the blame is really going to be on Junction Point Studios for having released a game that was half baked.

gamingeek

Kenka said:
I'm stupid. I apologize :(

No it's not your fault, I saw the trailer before you linked it in the thread. If you check the comments on gametrailers a lot of people are upset about the spoilers in there.

gamingeek said:
I haven't had any jittery cursor issues. You guys sure it wasn't light bouncing off the end of the remote or sensor bar causing this? Or your setup? I know if I play on my 50" TV the sensor bar is so far up it adds too much distance between me and the bar, causing it to lose and regain the signal.

I don't think by "jittery" they mean it jumps around in unintended directions. It's that it's really laggy and rough, so when you move it in a straight line it looks like it's "jumping" across that line at a low framerate rather than travelling a smooth continuous path.

It's pretty much the opposite of jittery, really--there's a big dead zone when you're holding your hand steady.

gamingeek

Joe Shlabotnik said:
I don't think by "jittery" they mean it jumps around in unintended directions. It's that it's really laggy and rough, so when you move it in a straight line it looks like it's "jumping" across that line at a low framerate rather than travelling a smooth continuous path.

It's pretty much the opposite of jittery, really--there's a big dead zone when you're holding your hand steady.

I haven't noticed any of that. I'll test it out later. But since you can't turn the camera with IR, isn't the whole screen essentially a dead zone?

Kenka

gamingeek said:
No it's not your fault, I saw the trailer before you linked it in the thread. If you check the comments on gametrailers a lot of people are upset about the spoilers in there.

I guess they threw it in the wind just like I did. :-(

KevinCow

Banned
Some of the quests seem unclear on what you're actually supposed to do. Like in one part, there was a safe, and I got the combination for it, but I couldn't figure out how the hell to actually enter the combination. And in another part, someone asked me to wander around and paint in some generators, only the generators were basically invisible until you got right next to them, so I have no idea how you were supposed to find all of them.

Also, I think this game would've been seriously improved if they'd just gone for a third-person shooter type camera by pulling it in closer and let you turn by pointing toward the edges.

gamingeek said:
I haven't noticed any of that. I'll test it out later. But since you can't turn the camera with IR, isn't the whole screen essentially a dead zone?

"Dead zone" meaning the distance you have to move your wrist before the pointer starts moving. It helps keeps the pointer very still but it feels more like you're dragging the pointer than aiming it.

Really, im in the ending and this game is magnificent. Im not going to cry about the camera, because im in love with the rest of the game. They are lots of haters here, but all the people I have talked IRL, and in other forums, just seems to click with them, and they all love it.

If I have to give the game some shit is about:
-Not having a sinister version of Its a big and beautifull tomorrow in the carrousel of progress
-Not hearing anywhere Grim Grinning Ghosts during the lonesome manor level.

WHAT WAS THE PUSHING DAISIES COMPOSER THINKING!?

Also I think tomorrowland is not up to notch with the rest of the areas in tributes, to much tron for my liking.

BTW, the jim riddle in ventureland... WTF do you have to do?

The puzzle of Lonesome Manor is difficult and awesome.

gamingeek

Joe Shlabotnik said:
"Dead zone" meaning the distance you have to move your wrist before the pointer starts moving. It helps keeps the pointer very still but it feels more like you're dragging the pointer than aiming it.

I'm used to talking about dead zones in Wii FPS, in which is the area where you can freely move the cursor about in before the screen starts turning.

Peff

SpacePirate Ridley said:
BTW, the jim riddle in ventureland... WTF do you have to do?

Which one?

1st:
Throw paint at the Tiki outside the Tiki Shop building
2nd:
Thin the clock in Mean Street
3rd:
Go to the cabin in the swamp where the radio is

fubarduck

Oh yeah . . . why on earth does Mickey stop when you hit the C button? Considering you always have to camera adjust (since it follows so badly), why should I have to involuntarily stop every 3 seconds? That's just sloppy design.

Wizpig

As for me I started the game last Friday and after the first few hours i turned off the Wii with a "meh" sentiment.
I guess i was kind of disappointed or i just didn't care about the first levels (colors: puke green, green, and more green).

Yesterday i reached the first towns/missions and i can't wait to continue.
It's a N64-like platformer and, well, it's been some years since i played a new one.

I want a new Nintendo and/or Rare 3d platformer *sigh* with vast worlds to explore or something.

Oh and i'll ask this again; am i the only one who experiences strange "halts" and hiccups in the battle music?
It's supposed to be context sensitive i take it (when you are near to enemies) but it doesn't feel right sometimes.
Other musics are ok. (but, as for the quality of the soundtrack itself, i don't like it that much, it's not memorable)

Peff said:
Which one?

1st:
Throw paint at the Tiki outside the Tiki Shop building
2nd:
Thin the clock in Mean Street
3rd:
Go to the cabin in the swamp where the radio is

Thanks, it was the first one, didnt have an idea there were more riddles.

Lijik

Wizpig said:
(but, as for the quality of the soundtrack itself, i don't like it that much, it's not memorable)
I'm not all that far into it (only spent about 40 minutes playing before bed last night) but outside of the main theme jingle, I kind of agree. I mean, I like it, but outside of the menu music none of it has stuck with me at all.

Again this is only a short bit in, maybe it'll change for me as I actually get into it :lol

Wizpig

Lijik said:
I'm not all that far into it (only spent about 40 minutes playing before bed last night) but outside of the main theme jingle, I kind of agree. I mean, I like it, but outside of the menu music none of it has stuck with me at all.

Again this is only a short bit in, maybe it'll change for me as I actually get into it :lol
I love the titles of your posts :lol in the Sonic Colors thread too.

gamingeek

bistromathics said:
same thing

Do you mean you think about dead zones with regards to FPS or are your saying that dead zones in Epic Mickey work the same as the dead zones in a Wii FPS?

Wizpig said:
As for me I started the game last Friday and after the first few hours i turned off the Wii with a "meh" sentiment.
I guess i was kind of disappointed or i just didn't care about the first levels (colors: puke green, green, and more green).

Yesterday i reached the first towns/missions and i can't wait to continue.

IMO that is where the game officially starts properly. It's the hub world. That's why I would suggest patience playing the game as the first couple of hours are just training and filler. I enjoyed the game much more once the new levels opened up. If people just played a couple of hours and traded it in or rented it or whatever, they've missed a huge chunk of the best parts of the game.

JohngPR

gamingeek said:

That is why I no longer watch any videos made by Gametrailers. They seem to do that a lot.

fubarduck said:
Oh yeah . . . why on earth does Mickey stop when you hit the C button? Considering you always have to camera adjust (since it follows so badly), why should I have to involuntarily stop every 3 seconds? That's just sloppy design.

Yea, I have to agree with that, that kind of bothered me too. You can double tap left of right on the D-Pad instead of hitting C to put the camera in front of you. That's what I started doing.

Also, can someone that has the Collector's Edition posts some pics of the statue? Just wanting to see what it "really" looks like.

Lijik

JetBlackPanda said:
quick question: is there multiple game save slots? so me and my wife can both play this at our own pace?
You can have up to three.

Quick question: Im intrigued by the Cartoons section in the unlockables. How do I get those? Are they something I get by beating the game, or is there a specific quest I need to look out for?

Top Bottom