• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

amtentori said:
supporting games with average reviews of 7 is not exactly sending the best message. yet this is the catch 22 wii owners always find themselves in.

Your problem is that you consider a game 7/10 an average one. I blame IGN.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
amtentori said:
supporting games with average reviews of 7 is not exactly sending the best message. yet this is the catch 22 wii owners always find themselves in.

Depends what message you want to send. Quite often there's a gem of a game buried in mediocre or heavily-polarised reviews. Endless Ocean, Kororinpa, Deadly Creatures all averaged about 7, and I wouldn't be without any of them.

Sure there's a message in that, but it's one for the reviewers not for the developers.

I suspect this one is going to be the same.

KevinCow

Banned
How the hell do I get into the jail at Tortooga? The guy just opened it for me, yet when I got up there the door was shut again.

one_kill

KevinCow said:
How the hell do I get into the jail at Tortooga? The guy just opened it for me, yet when I got up there the door was shut again.
You thin out the blocks of wood surrounding the door.

zigg

CE buyers: how good is the DVD? Does it feel like they poured a lot of interesting stuff into it or is it mostly throwaway?

zigg said:
CE buyers: how good is the DVD? Does it feel like they poured a lot of interesting stuff into it or is it mostly throwaway?

Someomne tell me if im wrong, but im sure that the extras are the featurettes in youtube that have been putting to advertise the game.
The ones were they talk about oswald, the characters, the music, disneyland... The are like 4-5 minutes in every video.

I stopped listening to this G4 podcast after they said 360 discs held more data than Wii discs, but did they really call Mickey: "The only good game on Wii this Holiday season"? Really? :lol

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Yeah, it's like 8 seperate little videos.......but who cares. 35 minutes of remastered Mickey cartoons woot! :D Though the ones they chose (3/4 of them anyway) do more to showcase the awesomeness of Goofy and Donald. Epic Goofy next please! :lol

Confirmed. Just checked youtube, and this is the EXACT video I watched on my collector's disk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BwrbgupAwk

Awesome to know. I feel a bit better now

Maffis

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I stopped listening to this G4 podcast after they said 360 discs held more data than Wii discs, but did they really call Mickey: "The only good game on Wii this Holiday season"? Really? :lol

lol.

I guess DKCR is so good it causes amnesia.

wsippel

Banned
JohngPR said:
I would like to hear the reasoning for the lack of voice acting. I'm thinking it was a very deliberate decision.
It was. Warren explained it in an interview a while ago - Mickey's typical voice doesn't sound like a believable hero, and many of the characters, including Oswald, never had a voice to begin with (Warren Spector: "In a world where Oswald is the ruler, it seemed appropriate that people don't talk."). Lack of space definitely wasn't the issue, Epic Mickey doesn't even use half the available capacity. Not to mention voice data is really, really tiny, anyway. It's typically mono and uses a much smaller frequency range than music for example.

Castor Krieg said:
Your problem is that you consider a game 7/10 an average one. I blame IGN.
7 out of 10 is average for a hyped game from almost all reviewer sites and mags...if anything 8 seems to be the safe score for anything that has any form of anticipation. 3 stars is too harsh and will result in backlash from fans and devs/pubs alike. 5 stars isn't going to happen because it's not a great game...so their shoehorned into 4. Everything is 4 stars.

sdornan

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
To be fair, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid: Other M are the only Wii games I know of that use a dual-layer disc, while practically every Xbox 360 game is on a dual-layer disc.

EDIT: And Okami, Raving Rabbids Collection, and Sakura Wars.

Im 2 hours in and its been very boring. Does the game pick up and lets go of your hand? Until this point its been nothing overuse of tutorials, annoying camera and sub par platforming.

The only thing thats positive about this is the art style and im interested in what Oswald is doing.

wsippel

Banned
sdornan said:
To be fair, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid: Other M are the only Wii games I know of that use a dual-layer disc, while practically every Xbox 360 game is on a dual-layer disc.

EDIT: And Okami, Raving Rabbids Collection, and Sakura Wars.
And Samurai Warriors, and several other games. It doesn't matter how many games use DL disks - it's possible, which means G4 talks bullshit. Pretty much the norm when it comes to Wii games. Gaming journalists shouldn't try to talk about tech stuff.

And just because all 360 games are dual layer doesn't mean all games use all the available space. Many games are much smaller. Just like most PS3 games are well below 10GB, some even below 5GB - Blu-ray or not.

Wizpig

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Im 2 hours in and its been very boring. Does the game pick up and lets go of your hand? Until this point its been nothing overuse of tutorials, annoying camera and sub par platforming.

The only thing thats positive about this is the art style and im interested in what Oswald is doing.
You are playing the tutorial/introduction.
It picks up.
one_kill said:
- Underneath Clarabelle's garden
- Mickey's house
- On top of the Gag Factory
- Beside the Gag Factory, there is a grass area you can thin out, I think it's in the wall
Thanks i think i missed the one near Clarabelle's.

JohngPR

wsippel said:
It was. Warren explained it in an interview a while ago - Mickey's typical voice doesn't sound like a believable hero, and many of the characters, including Oswald, never had a voice to begin with (Warren Spector: "In a world where Oswald is the ruler, it seemed appropriate that people don't talk."). Lack of space definitely wasn't the issue, Epic Mickey doesn't even use half the available capacity. Not to mention voice data is really, really tiny, anyway. It's typically mono and uses a much smaller frequency range than music for example.

I figured as much. Thanks for the info. I honestly don't feel to bad about it, but it definitely would have been cool to hear Disney quality voice acting in this game.

Sadist

Kard8p3 said:
They said it should have been multiplatform so it could be played with a normal adult controller.
2vsj4th.jpg

Dear lord four years in and "reviewers" still behave like this?

markatisu

I know this is far from any kind of proof but upon 6 hours of christmas shopping today every store I went to people were picking up the CE and looking at the game, so Mickey is at least catching their attention.

Also Walmart is doing a big event on Saturday to celebrate its release, they are going to be giving away free stuff if you buy the game (it was on their big game billboards when you walk in the store so I assume its not just a local deal).

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:

It picks up later and the game basically lets you do what you want, that is a downside of course because some of the puzzles can be really out there as far as the solutions since they do not activate automatically (meaning you have to do things in a certain sequence at times and the game does not tell you).

Amir0x

Banned
Two things

MickeyEpic.jpg

The figure that came with the collector's edition is one of the better ones I've seen come in these sorts of packs. It's really pretty rad actually. Usually I throw them away because they're so crappy but this one I will keep.

The other thing...

...wow, this game is kind of a complete mess, huh? like I see some moments of brilliant ideas marred by awful execution at almost every turn. It's almost depressing.

FoneBone

Amir0x said:
...wow, this game is kind of a complete mess, huh? like I see some moments of brilliant ideas marred by awful execution at almost every turn. It's almost depressing.
From what I've heard (which is pretty much third hand so who knows) Disney insisted that it had to ship in time for the 2010 holiday season, which led to large parts being outsourced and to the final product not being nearly as polished as it should've been. :-/

Amir0x

Banned
yup that would explain it. This is the clearest case of a game that needed six more months in the oven I've ever seen. The controls are sloppy as fuck, the camera needed a month of development time tinkering all by itself. The platforming feels pretty garbage. There's a good solid art direction, some great ideas but they're interconnected by pure slop sloppiness. It's a shame. I was really anticipating this one :/

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Kard8p3 said:
Then they suggested that the disk space on the wii is possibly why there was no voice acting and it could have been fixed on a disk for the HD consoles.

Fixed for accuracy. I was not aware of the Wii's double density disc space situation. Good to know.

I have also heard that Disney didn't want to give Oswald a voice just yet, but it seems strange to hire Frank goddamn Welker just to come in and do a few "Rrrgh?" and "Aaah!" sounds.

JWong

Banned
Amir0x said:
yup that would explain it. This is the clearest case of a game that needed six more months in the oven I've ever seen. The controls are sloppy as fuck, the camera needed a month of development time tinkering all by itself. The platforming feels pretty garbage. There's a good solid art direction, some great ideas but they're interconnected by pure slop sloppiness. It's a shame. I was really anticipating this one :/
Well if those are the problems, outsourcing wouldn't be at fault. Those are core fundamentals that should have been already working well.

Outsourcing is only useful for making art assets or testing. They don't get outsourced people to make core gameplay.

MYE

Kard8p3 said:
They said it should have been multiplatform so it could be played with a normal adult controller. Then they made the claim that the disk space on the wii is likely why there was no voice acting and it could have been fixed on a disk for the HD consoles.

:lol

Amir0x

Banned
JWong said:
Well if those are the problems, outsourcing wouldn't be at fault. Those are core fundamentals that should have been already working well.

Outsourcing is only useful for making art assets or testing. They don't get outsourced people to make core gameplay.

No being rushed would explain why it's so sloppy, not that outsourcing caused the sloppiness per say (although certainly it likely contributed).

I am so torn on this game, I can only afford one game right now and I cant decide between Epic Mickey or Epic Yarn.. a lot of Epic going on with the Wii right now.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I'm enjoying this more the DKCR. in fact, it's my favorite wii game this year. Sure it's rough, but I love these kind of 3d platformers.

Kandinsky

canadian crowe said:
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I'm enjoying this more the DKCR. in fact, it's my favorite wii game this year. Sure it's rough, but I love these kind of 3d platformers.
I feel exactly the same, it really reminds me of Banjo Kazooie which i love it.

amtentori said:

There are no shortage of incredible Wii games with Metacritic scores in the 70s. WarioLand, Silent Hill, Fire Emblem, and Klonoa, for example, are all fantastic. I find that quirky Wii games that score in the 70s are often more engaging than the heavily-promoted next-gen blockbuster titles that are guaranteed to score in the high 80s or 90s. Don't be so quick to write off a game because of its Metacritic scores. Video game "journalism" is basically at the lowest point its ever been at, so don't put too much stock in what the critics say.

Kandinsky said:
Mushroom Men comes to mind, nice little game.

Thats a great underlooked game.

But as for the industry in general... if a game isn't the best at its genre, many consider it subpar, weak, or not worth a damn. Sad that many pass on some awesome titles because of such things.

Anyways, I'm still really excited to play Epic Mickey when I have some more money, probably not till after the holidays. I loved Banjo Kazooie so if thats what people are comparing it to, I think I'm in for a winner.

markatisu

Kandinsky said:

Yeah it does, the pacing and the way the game plays makes it really feel the closest to that in recent years.

It just sucks the camera turns many people off, I maintain if you keep playing you forget the issues because you adjust. But I suppose the issue is by 2010 you should not have to adjust.

Lijik

Kandinsky said:
Mushroom Men comes to mind, nice little game.
So he goes in with the right expectations, MM has linear progression Rayman 2/3 style. The level design is certainly in a similar vein though.

NTom64

Played for a few hours, my impressions thus far:

- The first hour or two is horribly dull. Like, "putting the game down in frustration" dull. If it just started from
Mickey Junk Mountain
, I feel the game would've been a lot more well received. Some decent platforming there, and it does feel genuinely fun at times.

- Now, this is just a personal thing that annoyed me, so feel free to skip over this .

While the general dystopian feel is very much appreciated, the "forgotten characters" thing rings a bit hollow. Case in point: Horace Horsecollar and Claribelle (the cow). Neither of these characters are "forgotten", they've been prominent in pretty much every piece of Disney media for a long time now.

Hell, Horace (and Claribelle, I think) was in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, a game which came out earlier this year, and both of them have been in the House of Mouse cartoons, and many of the specials as background characters. It makes the whole thing, as many have pointed out, feel dated, like Warren Spector didn't want to acknowledge any other media besides the old black-and-white cartoons. I know that's what they were going for, and trying to represent, but if they're still around then they haven't been forgotten.

In short: Bitch bitch moan whine

- It plods along at a really tedious pace. Wait for A button prompt to appear, fade to black, get instructions from a character, fade to black etc. etc. Minor nitpick, but it gets old after a while.

- I don't really see any consequences for my actions. Like, at all. The only truly bad thing I've seen so far is when I
filled the Clock Tower up with thinner instead of paint and the door malfunctioned. A timing puzzle...ok, then.

This'll probably change soon, but the first few hours aren't doing a very good job of representing the game as a whole.

- The cutscenes have a wonderful artstyle, but by God did this game need some voice acting to liven things up. Not to mention to subtitles sometimes whiz by, and I miss what's being said.

- The combat is clunky, as is the camera (the latter making the former even more so). I think I would've just enjoyed exploring more, rather than thinning out or painting enemies. The platforming, however (especially the 2D stuff, which is pretty great both in gameplay and concept aspects) is decent.

- The general design of everything (bar the section I'm on in the spoiler tags) just feels like I'm in a room, rather than an actual world. Walls everywhere, limited exploration, and it makes you feel like your hand is being held constantly.

- Finally, in regards to the "it's like Banjo Kazooie" comments. No. It's not. From what I played, it seems much closer to either of the 3D Gex games, with a bit of Mario Sunshine thrown in. Someone else mentioned Mushroom Men, and I haven't played that but it does seem similar, judging by gameplay footage.

So, if you're willing to put up with some extreme tedium for an hour or two, you may get some enjoyment out of this. However, if you're not willing to do so, but still want a Mickey Mouse gaming fix, as it were, then buying an old copy of Mickey Mania or any of the Illusion games might be a better option.

Kandinsky said:

The one reason I bought this instead of DKCR is because people said it reminded them of Banjo, which got me way more excited.

Celine

NTom64 said:
So, if you're willing to put up with some extreme tedium for an hour or two, you may get some enjoyment out of this. However, if you're not willing to do so, but still want a Mickey Mouse gaming fix, as it were, then buying an old copy of Mickey Mania or any of the Illusion games might be a better option.
I'll never understand the love for Mickey Mania ( at least the SNES version, the one I've played ).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
a posh hammer said:
The one reason I bought this instead of DKCR
:( Please do buy DKCR. It's genuinely amazing. It hits the right nostalgic notes, but also is very 'now' in its design. It's constantly throwing new things, all rendered with amazing detail, at you, and usually only once or twice so that they don't overstay there welcome.

It may end up being my GOTY. It's such a clever game.

NTom64

Celine said:
I'll never understand the love for Mickey Mania ( at least the SNES version, the one I've played ).

The version I grew up with was the Genesis/Mega-Drive one. Not sure if there's any difference between MD and SNES tbh.

It does Steamboat Willie a lot better than both Epic Mickey and Kingdom Hearts, at any rate.

markatisu

NTom64 said:
While the general dystopian feel is very much appreciated, the "forgotten characters" thing rings a bit hollow. Case in point: Horace Horsecollar and Claribelle (the cow). Neither of these characters are "forgotten", they've been prominent in pretty much every piece of Disney media for a long time now.

Hell, Horace (and Claribelle, I think) was in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, a game which came out earlier this year, and both of them have been in the House of Mouse cartoons, and many of the specials as background characters. It makes the whole thing, as many have pointed out, feel dated, like Warren Spector didn't want to acknowledge any other media besides the old black-and-white cartoons. I know that's what they were going for, and trying to represent, but if they're still around then they haven't been forgotten.

Yeah the comics that were in the iPad app did a better job at explaining, a lot of these characters you are encountering are the animatronic versions of the real ones that Oswald uses as his friends. I do not think the game made that clear, so they are like alternate world versions and therefore also forgotten...if that makes any sense

the first few hours aren't doing a very good job of representing the game as a whole.

I agree with this 100%, even if they had started the game from say Mean Streets or OsTown I think people might have a better feeling overall

NTom64

Ah, I thought they were the actual characters.

Still doesn't make sense how Mickey can't recognise them, though. He must be a bit of a dick, I guess :lol

I'll have to check out those interactive comics, they sound interesting.

Is the tutorial optional like in Deus Ex? It sounds like the tutorial is awful and that could really limit replay value (Which is supposed to be one of the main draws of the game).

markatisu

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Is the tutorial optional like in Deus Ex? It sounds like the tutorial is awful and that could really limit replay value (Which is supposed to be one of the main draws of the game).

Not really, its part of the game like a set of levels.

Top Bottom