• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT Western box art characters revealed

Berordn

Roster is way too much of a sausage fest for my liking.

The original Dissidia was the same. It wasn't really until Duodecim where they started fleshing it out a little better (and even then it's still mostly dudes).

They'll probably add in the obvious female reps with DLC down the line.

Wazzy

Banned
I don't get why they don't just use all of the weapons lined up as the cover art. It was way nicer looking than whatever the hell this is plus at least every character is represented with the weapons.

Cloud and Lightning?

giphy.gif

DKHF

WHY couldn't they have used this? It looks so much better. It's even a better shot of WoL who almost always looks awful.
I think cos more casual gamers in stores are more likely to recognise the characters themselves than their weapons.

Wazzy

Banned
I think cos more casual gamers in stores are more likely to recognise the characters themselves than their weapons.
Maybe but my experience with people who are casual players or just know of the series but haven't played any games are almost always able to name the iconic weapons used but struggle with names. Also Dissidia is a game for fans so I think a cleaner art cover that represents more characters is a much better marketing choice than a boring three character cover.

Then again, the iconic weapons are generally Gunblade, Bustersword, Brotherhood, Masamune and Lightnings Gunblade has also become quite memorable. The rest of the swords people would probably struggle with.

Umbooki

Even though Square has done everything they can to shit on Cloud's character, I'm glad they know he's still The Guy.

Glad they put WoL front and centre. The character closest to a "main" character in the series.

Pretty garbage overall, though. So much wasted space for only three characters posing in front of a purplish cloud. Should have made the characters themselves smaller, and added more heroes (probably not all, since it might get cluttered)

DKHF

Maybe but my experience with people who are casual players or just know of the series but haven't played any games are almost always able to name the iconic weapons used but struggle with names. Also Dissidia is a game for fans so I think a cleaner art cover that represents more characters is a much better marketing choice than a boring three character cover.

Then again, the iconic weapons are generally Gunblade, Bustersword, Brotherhood, Masamune and Lightnings Gunblade has also become quite memorable. The rest of the swords people would probably struggle with.
I disagree, I think most non-hardcore series fans recognise the characters more but that's just my opinion/experience so not worth more or less than yours. I think with this particular Dissidia they are aiming for more than the hardcore/bigger fans because it's the first on console and as a result would have a bigger budget. I agree that showing more characters is a better choice though/what I would prefer. I'm guessing they just didn't want to show too many fearing it would look intimidating to more casual FF players (like people who've only played one of the most popular games).

Demoskinos

Lightning is not popular in the west.

This is terrible.

Going digital unfortunately. Or will see whats on the JP box art and just buy that (or a printable version).

I don't want Lightning on my desk....

You're joking right? Lightning is very popular.

Jeels

You're joking right? Lightning is very popular.

She is not popular in the west being being shoved down people's throats.

In Japan there are polls sure.

Regardless on if she's popular or not, she's a terrible character and IMO her being on the cover degrades the game and degrades the series.

She is not popular in the west being being shoved down people's throats.

In Japan there are polls sure.

Regardless on if she's popular or not, she's a terrible character and IMO her being on the cover degrades the game and degrades the series.
I'm not a fan of lightning or XIII either but shouldn't a game stand on its own merits and not who or what is on the cover art? This is just some fan service mash up anyway, it isn't meant to be taken that seriously.

Jeels

I'm not a fan of lightning or XIII either but shouldn't a game stand on its own merits and not who or what is on the cover art? This is just some fan service mash up anyway, it isn't meant to be taken that seriously.

You're right, I just really really despise Lightning...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
:l she must not be forgotten??

no but seriously, i wanted a nomura spread with all the characters, what is this gobbledygook

every time I see this game ,
all I see is a bunch of numbers and fonts.

I've never played the series, but is it really necessary to have all these numbers everywhere, couldn't it be like street fighter where you have a simple life bar and that's it?

theofficefan99

Main character, Cloud, and most recognizable female character in the series. I think it needed more characters and it should've used CG instead of regular models.

Also lol @ no Noctis.

Terrible box art with a terrible art style. Lightning is the de facto female because she's the only lead other than Terra I suppose, but her ‘popularity' sure didn't sell XIII-3.

idk why people keep saying stuff like this. I loved XIII, I like Lightning as a character (and I love her XIII design) and for the most part I thought XIII-2 looked like a bad game and LR straight up looked like trash. I ended up only buying LR used like a year after its release or something because I felt obligated to as a fan of the series.

DKNcGx0VoAAcgxx.jpg

This should have been the box art in my opinion.

100% agree. Not only are all the mains there but it's in nice CGI. It baffles me any time the marketing teams use in-game models for a front cover. Though I suppose the number of characters can be overwhelming and off-putting to a casual buyer, plus some characters like Onion Knight look goofy af.

every time I see this game ,
all I see is a bunch of numbers and fonts.

I've never played the series, but is it really necessary to have all these numbers everywhere, couldn't it be like street fighter where you have a simple life bar and that's it?

It's a 3v3 fighting game where your positioning is vital information, and the number value of your HP attacks is variable due to the Bravery system.

Granted, the UI could probably be simplified to a degree, but the fact is that Dissidia simply has a lot more information it needs to convey to the player compared to a traditional 1v1 fighting game

Is Lightning genuinely popular? I've only ever heard people say they dislike FF13 and its characters.

If it was up to me Lightning would have been replaced by Yuna or Ashe. Would have said Tifa but Cloud is already there.

Is Lightning genuinely popular? I've only ever heard people say they dislike FF13 and its characters.

If it was up to me Lightning would have been replaced by Yuna or Ashe. Would have said Tifa but Cloud is already there.

GAF bubble. Given the amount of products SE makes of her, so many years after XIII was the shiny new FF, it's clear there is still strong demand for her

Calfirma

Neo Member
Also Lightning is pretty popular character huh?

Hugely popular character in Japan really. Also, as everyone else has said, real surprising that WoL is here and not Noctis though I won't complain one bit.

Masx

Banned
Gotta collect them all?

Not a fan of random covers that would force one to buy the game 3 times to collect them all or get the one you wanted.

DHxiw5YXUAAcKdn

theofficefan99

Hugely popular character in Japan really. Also, as everyone else has said, real surprising that WoL is here and not Noctis though I won't complain one bit.

I've heard that the reception for FFXIII in Japan was largely positive. If that's true that makes me happy.

I want receipts of those "numbers".

I like Lightning when she's wearing her XIII-2 outfit.
Dissidia NT website said:
Noctis Lucis Caelum

Class: Assassin

Heir apparent to the Lucian throne, Noctis’ trials begin when he sets forth from the crown city in order to wed the Lady Lunafreya Nox Fleuret. In combat, he wields spectral weapons that he forges from thin air—a power possessed by those of his royal line.
Poor guy must have gotten separated from the bros on the way to the wedding.

RRockman

Banned
SE is having a sweepstakes if you pre-order that CE:
https://dissidiafinalfantasynt.com/...m_medium=post&utm_campaign=paradox_uce_sweeps

And it shows that the artbook will feature that keyart everyone wishes was the NA cover haha:

and for those wondering about Light's popularly, here's what a SE community manager had to say:
capture1nlbtq.jpg

capture25yb2z.jpg

8C56DF53647CAA09C8C11600E59C412A79D4E993

the official site got updated too: https://dissidiafinalfantasynt.com/en-us/characters/?id=noctis-lucis-caelum

LIES, he is just one of her many puppets.

lol

Top Bottom