• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Elven_Star

OK, I might have done something really stupid.

Can't find Mask of the Shapeshifter anywhere. Already act 2, and don't remember if I did the Wendy thing. I might have sold it. Any other way to get it/another Mask of the Shapeshifter?

Alric

OK, I might have done something really stupid.

Can't find Mask of the Shapeshifter anywhere. Already act 2, and don't remember if I did the Wendy thing. I might have sold it. Any other way to get it/another Mask of the Shapeshifter?

In act two
that first town. Go to the tavern, go to the second floor. There is a messy room that belongs to that magister from act 1, it's on the shelf in his room.

I'm at the end of act 1. Is it pointless to buy a lot of skill books? Do they become obsolete as you level and get stronger spells?

I don't think there's a cap on how many skill you can learn, you are limited by the memory slots

Don't quote me on that tho

I just discovered after 90h that if you combine nails and boots you become immune to slipping

If ,you like me, go around with a hydrosophist you'll need it

Also if you use the repair hammer with nails you receive 4 lockpicks

Also undead don't need lockpicks because they use their creaky fingers

I'm done

I love RPGS but can't stand parties. I read that you can play with a solo wolf trait that let's you play essentially without party members. I know I'll miss out on story opportunities, but is it doable without being stupidly hard?

I tried lone wolf (out of curiosity) with just one character cause I didn't realize you could do 2 without losing the bonuses to lone wolf. Doing it as one character is possible but geez is it fucking HARD. it's mostly cause alot of the fights aren't just one enemy. it's a group. when I realized I was gimping myself by not rolling with 2 lone wolfs, It became so much easier. still can be challenging but not anywhere near just rolling with one. lol (at least in the early game)

Btw....Multiplayer for this game kinda sucks unless it's with friends.

This has been my multiplayer experience when not playing with friends.

- Join game

- kicked from game

- Join Game

- Kicked from game

- Join Game

- Guy doesn't seem to know how to kick as I'm playing for a little bit and then all of a sudden, save and server shut down

Lastly....not being able to use your keyboard to type in chat while playing with a controller is the DUMBEST shit ever. seriously...what the fuck

Guys what is a nice party composition for a newbie? I thought of going with human death knight (ibn guy with knight and some necromancy) what do you recommend the other party members to be? Playing Classic but pretty newb

Forget the name of the default classes but:

Knight - Warfare / 2H weapons
Ranger - huntsman / bows
Geo / pyro mage
Hydro / aero mage

Is a solid. Strait forward party.

I'm at the end of act 1. Is it pointless to buy a lot of skill books? Do they become obsolete as you level and get stronger spells?

No. I can't remember exactly which skills are available in Act One, but low-level skills like teleport, fortify, armor of frost, tactical retreat, tentacle lash, chicken claw, backlash, and battle stomp remain among the most valuable through at least the end of Act Two (where I am currently). I can't see any reason why most of them would ever become obsolete.

I don't think there's a cap on how many skill you can learn, you are limited by the memory slots

I just discovered after 90h that if you combine nails and boots you become immune to slipping

If ,you like me, go around with a hydrosophist you'll need it

Also if you use the repair hammer with nails you receive 4 lockpicks

Also undead don't need lockpicks because they use their creaky fingers

I'm done

This is awesome. I'd sort of forgotten about crafting, apart from quest-mandated uses, despite using it a lot in the first game.

Elven_Star

In act two
that first town. Go to the tavern, go to the second floor. There is a messy room that belongs to that magister from act 1, it's on the shelf in his room.

Thanks, but
that's a Faceripper which I already have. I need a Mask of the Shapeshifter.

Got a bunch of flame and ooze barrels
mainly from that area with the burning pigs who I don't know how to douse yet. I transferred practically all of them onto one character and moved my party back to the Magister fort as I had skipped that. I ended up doing that fight in that throne room area. There's one corner that has a tiny circular room. I loaded a bunch of barrels in that room and just teleported the boss character into the room to start the fight and then blew him up using fire breath. It made the fight way too easy and I almost regret doing this. I still have a ton of barrels but might just abandon this method of fighting harder enemies cause it honestly made the fight so much easier.

Also a question for those who got far in the game...[spoiler[ Can I revisit fort joy (Act 1) after going to Act 2?[/spoiler]

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Got a bunch of flame and ooze barrels
mainly from that area with the burning pigs who I don't know how to douse yet. I transferred practically all of them onto one character and moved my party back to the Magister fort as I had skipped that. I ended up doing that fight in that throne room area. There's one corner that has a tiny circular room. I loaded a bunch of barrels in that room and just teleported the boss character into the room to start the fight and then blew him up using fire breath. It made the fight way too easy and I almost regret doing this. I still have a ton of barrels but might just abandon this method of fighting harder enemies cause it honestly made the fight so much easier.

Also a question for those who got far in the game...[spoiler[ Can I revisit fort joy (Act 1) after going to Act 2?[/spoiler]

You can't revisit Act 1 area when you're in act 2, the game even gives you a specific message about this when your reach a certain point.

^thanks for that!

Also how do I remove my collar
I killed someone named noosey and I was told she gives access to some quest that lets me remove it. Is there an alternative solution

edit: forgot to put in spoiler tags

NandoGip

Started a co-op campaign on Sunday. Holy shit. This game is so good. 20 hours deep in one weekend.

I'm running a few mods which I'll list below. Some are super essential and others just add a dash of fun to the game. I don't really play for the challenge so I don't mind occasionally feeling over powered.

Note: To play multiplayer with mods, you both must subscribe to the same mods. I assume in the same order as well.

Essential Mods:
Crafting Overhaul
Adds tons of new recipes, crafting stations, the ability to breakdown items, upgrade equipment, and more. This mod is very well thought out and in depth, I highly recommend it.

No Items Added to Hotbars
Need I explain? The most annoying aspect of looting, solved.

Very Fast Run Speed
Nearly doubles out of combat run speed. Huge QoL upgrade IMO.

No Psychic Enemies
Rebalances loremaster on enemies. If you've had Fane or a custom undead character, you know how essential this mod could be.

Greed - Increased Loot Variety
Self explanatory. It's possible that you might get an overpowered item but I have not come across anything like that so far.

Let There Be Tooltips!
From mod description: "Displays tooltips for 430+ more objects, including crates, barrels, ingredients, junk, and corpses. If you can pick it up, move it, or search its contents, you can see what it is! "

Optional but Fun mods:
Buffed Defense Abilities and Wit
As you play the game it becomes more obvious that any sort of defense or heavy build isn't really viable, so this mod very lightly buffs defense stats to be a bit more useful. Not a huge difference from vanilla, but I highly recommend it.

8 Max AP
All this does is give specifically you and your team the ability to save up to 8 AP.

Fivs' New Skills

Adds 16 new skills, 1-2 per mastery. They require 5 levels into the mastery so they seem fairly "balanced"

Examples:
Cover fire: Reflexively shoot at enemies moving towards your target
Elemental Absorption: Absorb surface for temporary stat boost
Double Summon: Temporarily increase max summon by 1

Toggle Polymorph Appendages
Makes Poloymorph skills "Spread Your Wings", "Spider Legs" and "Bull Horns" toggle-able rather than a limited time buff.

I'll leave these here for now and pop in later if I find any other fun mods.

Anyone else find any good ones?

Nyx

After having so much trouble with the first few fights in Fort Joy, it suddenly clicked and I cleared the whole island without much trouble.

Did have to use a resurrection scroll here and there though and they are expensive, hoping my Necro/Summoner main gets a res skill soon. ;)

KorrZ

Just finished this game yesterday....already thinking about starting up the first game since I never played it back in the day. I want more.

This game was 80 hours of excellence (outside of a bit of a stumble in the final 2-3 hours).

Stiler

I might respec and get rid of bartering altogether. There are so many items to sell that the price doesn't really matter, and I don't even steal. I'm playing on Explorer, though.

I thought that too until I got to act 2, in Act 2 prices skyrocket on things and you can easily find yourself out of money when you want to upgrade items for your party.

Also if you don't know, you can increase an npc's "attitude" toward you by giving them money (just open the trade menu and give them gold without asking them for anything and click accept).

This will give you a discount on top of bartering, it caps at 100. This is useful when you find an npc vendor htat has a lot of items you want to buy. With Ifan at 4 bartering + 100 attitude it gives me a 40% decrease for buying and +40% for selling items, which can be quite a bit of money.

There are guides you can find that tell you how much gold it takes for npc's to hit 100 attitude toward you. Remember to do this on the character you want to barter with, as it's character specific, so you don't want to accidentally give the npc gold from a non-bartering character and then go to barter with them and have 0% attitude and waste your gold.

NandoGip

Just finished this game yesterday....already thinking about starting up the first game since I never played it back in the day. I want more.

This game was 80 hours of excellence (outside of a bit of a stumble in the final 2-3 hours).

I'm starting with 2 and loving it already. I'm wondering if going back to OS1 Enhanced is different enough but still solid.

Still exploring the area outside of Fort Joy, it's amazing how much they managed to fit into this space.
Map is relatively small but there's so much to discover.
I was having trouble with the 3 lizards on the beach, then it occurred to me to teleport them to the ledge that leads to
gargoyle's maze
and just snipe them to death. Felt like a genius lol.

I'm reallllly struggling with the learning curve. I've got about half a dozen hours and I've probably only finished a few quests by chance. I haven't been able to make money to buy gear, my crew is only at level 3, I'm getting destroyed in combat, and I'm struggling trying to go through the quests in my journal log. I've started probably most of them, I'm just not sure where to go from there (starting) despite reading the journal entries multiple times and just walking around and talking to as many NPCs as I can. Not giving up tho lol

Edit: tips in addition get gud?

I thought that too until I got to act 2, in Act 2 prices skyrocket on things and you can easily find yourself out of money when you want to upgrade items for your party.

Also if you don't know, you can increase an npc's "attitude" toward you by giving them money (just open the trade menu and give them gold without asking them for anything and click accept).

This will give you a discount on top of bartering, it caps at 100. This is useful when you find an npc vendor htat has a lot of items you want to buy. With Ifan at 4 bartering + 100 attitude it gives me a 40% decrease for buying and +40% for selling items, which can be quite a bit of money.

There are guides you can find that tell you how much gold it takes for npc's to hit 100 attitude toward you. Remember to do this on the character you want to barter with, as it's character specific, so you don't want to accidentally give the npc gold from a non-bartering character and then go to barter with them and have 0% attitude and waste your gold.

Damn. And I've been paying full price minus barter discount. Like a chump.

MikeBison

Not sure if it's ok to put this here, if not i'll edit it.

But I've made a video on why I think DOS2 is the best game of the year. Never made a video before so had to learn it all for this. Editing, recording VO, photoshop for a thumbnail etc. Would certainly go back and change a lot given the chance, mainly to do with the VO, but live and learn etc. I was shitting myself ha. Plus, not sure there's a sound on this Earth I hate more than my own jabroni voice. Anyway, a watch would be appreciated.

Essentially just so enamoured with the game, I felt like I had to pay it some lip service!

https://youtu.be/zBCNEgVjYxo

I'm reallllly struggling with the learning curve. I've got about half a dozen hours and I've probably only finished a few quests by chance. I haven't been able to make money to buy gear, my crew is only at level 3, I'm getting destroyed in combat, and I'm struggling trying to go through the quests in my journal log. I've started probably most of them, I'm just not sure where to go from there (starting) despite reading the journal entries multiple times and just walking around and talking to as many NPCs as I can. Not giving up tho lol

Here is an edited version of some advice I gave earlier in the thread:

As a general matter:

1. Save often. If you lose two or three characters in a fight, reload and try a different approach. Later, when you're on firmer footing with combat and res scrolls, you can go back to riding out suboptimal results.

2. If a battle seems impossible, leave it for now and come back when you've gained some levels and found/bought better gear. You can get beyond Level 3 without much fighting.

3. Use the environment to your advantage. Several early fights give you a chance to use height for extra damage/reduced risk from melee attackers. Try splitting your party and sneaking to get everyone in favorable position. If you know a fight will start after a conversation, split off the non-speaking party members to get them in position. The last thing you want is for ambush your entire party with one spell.

4. Focus on stealing enemies' turns and adding more for yourself. You'll notice that many skills have a negative status effect that will apply once the enemy is stripped of the relevant armor type. Very early in the game, you will have access to tentacle lash, chicken claw, and battering ram. The first prevents an enemy from using its weapon for a turn, the other two prevent enemies from doing much of anything for a turn. Getting an enemy off your back for even one turn is super valuable! To that end, you should try to get "teleport" on at least two party members. Early on, enemies don't have as many mobility spells, so simply teleporting them far away will buy you some time. You can also use this to deal with obnoxious snipers by bringing them down from their perches and right to your party.

You can also add to your turns by making someone in your party a summoner. One more character applying damage (and soaking it up, if the enemies focus on the summoned creature) is very powerful in the early game. Bear in mind that even if you chose other initial classes and won't be able to optimize until Act 2, a single point in the relevant skill line can be enough to get you going.

Some other tips that you may not have picked up already:

-Have at least one character focused on raising thievery, among the civil skills. Pickpocketing is a huge gold saver.

-Rangers are currently OP, so if no one in your party is currently rocking a crossbow, consider picking one up. You'll want that character to focus on raising warfare, as it is the biggest damage multiplier.

-As far as questing goes, you're doing the right thing. It's unfortunate it hasn't paid off for you yet, but keep exploring and talking to NPCs, and your luck is sure to turn. If you have any specific quests that are stumping you, I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

Here is an edited version of some advice I gave earlier in the thread:

Some other tips that you may not have picked up already:

-Have at least one character focused on raising thievery, among the civil skills. Pickpocketing is a huge gold saver.

-Rangers are currently OP, so if no one in your party is currently rocking a crossbow, consider picking one up. You'll want that character to focus on raising warfare, as it is the biggest damage multiplier.

-As far as questing goes, you're doing the right thing. It's unfortunate it hasn't paid off for you yet, but keep exploring and talking to NPCs, and your luck is sure to turn. If you have any specific quests that are stumping you, I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

Thanks!

The first act is probably the most difficult. Get a full party asap.

Some combat tips:
- Check the level of enemies. If the enemies are higher level than you, dont engage them.
- Positioning is extremely important, especially in the early game. When you spot enemies or you think combat is going to happen, split up your party. Put your ranged characters (archers and casters) on high ground. Try to put a rogue character near a single mage or archer. Put squishy characters in the back.
- Because positioning is so important, movement/teleport skills are important. And you can use them out of combat to get to hard to reach places.
- You can use the sneak feature (C) to get closer without triggering enemies. Stay out of the dark red area (their line of sight). You can also see line of sight by holding shift.
- Check the environment for surfaces/create your own. Oil always slows and explodes when on fire. Poison explodes as well. Water and blood can be electrified, which can set stun.
- Give your casters a wand and a shield for extra survivability.

Stiler

Early on is the hardest when you are starting out and don't have your party all decked out in lv'd up gear/weapons.

When it comes to combat the main thing that you have to learn is positioning, it's a key part of combat.

You want to keep your squishes away from melee and also try to get them high up, as elevation gives them more dmg (at least for archers).

The same goes for enemies as well, so you should definitely be trying to use your abilities to get enemies out of position, teleports are really really useful for taking that enemy archer from his high position and then dropping him idown somewhere near your melee people.

Also the armor system, the way the game works is that everyone (both you and enemies) have magic and physical armor, you have to get these down before you can use your abilities to affect the enemy (such a knockdowns, setting enemies on fire, etc).

So when you start combat, don't waste your knockdown abilities or others on enemies with full-shields, you want to use your dmg first to whittle away at their shields and then use your abilities to knock them down or whatever.

Also don't be afraid to save, you can save during-combat so if you are having a tough fight an dhave a good turn in combat, save it and you can start from there if things go wrong. Just make sure if you are using quicksave/loading that you have enough slots (you can up it to like 10 quicksave slots in the options menu).

DarkestHour

Banned

I had to set it to Explorer until I got the hang of it and leveled/found better gear. I'm back on Classic but yeah I'm still not good. Save often.

Reivaxe

Think it's time I started realizing my Mage love isn't what's best for my team ...

Fane basically throws down some aoe and plays dead for the rest of the fight if I'm lucky.

Gonna turn him into a ranger cause no one else does Magic dmg so yeah ...
Gonna make my necro fighter into a Summon Fighter ... duel style.

My ninja is ... damn perfect. Poly ninja works well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i have no idea what i'm doing

i just died to crocodiles

cool

Is their a good lore read or video that explains the universe of this game? Like the Witcher 3, I feel like I should read about the world a bit to get invested a bit more.

Nyx

I was in the same position as you two nights ago. But after trying the
Arena
fight in Fort Joy a dozen times I finally managed to win it and all the other battles in Fort Joy have been a lot easier after that.
I managed to escape the island, killing lots of Magisters on my way out

Definitely get the
gloves of transportation
from the
crocodiles on the beach
first, cause teleporting those pesky archers into melee range has been a gamechanger for me.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
lol, completely cheesed the
Linder Kemm
's fight by charming him and let him destroy his minions while my party just stood here having a drink. didn't know it would work, heh

These scarabs in the
Radeka
fight just seem unfair.

I was doing really well luring all of the adds in that fight through a corridor and took out two of them, but them being able to swoop in and hit you with three coagulated spits each is hard to overcome eventually.

Meccs

I am still in act 1 and have no issues beating enemies the same level as I am (Lvl 4 close to 5) on classic mode yet the synergy doesn't work that well.

I play as Fane Rogue (Scoundrel/Warfare) which works quite well and Beast as a 2H STR character (Warfare/Scoundrel) but Sebille and Lohse don't click for me yet. I have Sebille as Ranger/Summoner and Lohse as Hydro/Geo.

What are you guys running that give a good party synergy? I have problems healing Fane. I have darts which make poison puddles but that is a problem if you have a second melee character.

Lanrutcon

I am still in act 1 and have no issues beating enemies the same level as I am (Lvl 4 close to 5) on classic mode yet the synergy doesn't work that well.

I play as Fane Rogue (Scoundrel/Warfare) which works quite well and Beast as a 2H STR character (Warfare/Scoundrel) but Sebille and Lohse don't click for me yet. I have Sebille as Ranger/Summoner and Lohse as Hydro/Geo.

What are you guys running that give a good party synergy? I have problems healing Fane. I have darts which make poison puddles but that is a problem if you have a second melee character.

You have a weird party composition.

I'd suggest using Sebille and Lohse to fight at ranged, with Fane and Beast waiting near them to pounce on enemies that get too close. Use choke points or higher ground to restrict the enemy's ability to fight back.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I bet the crocodiles but still feeling a tad disoriented in the story at the moment. I feel like I'm experiencing it through a glass window at the moment rather than really getting into it. I always have this problem with this sort of RPG. I'm hoping I can push through it with this one.

kionedrik

My personal opinion is that ranger/summoner is one of the worst combo you can make. Both are dedicated roles that require full point allocation in different stats/skills in order to be as effective as possible, especially in the earlier levels (ranger needs finesse + warfare & ranged; summoner needs memory & int + summoning). Not only that but you end up wasting AP doing things you don't want to be doing, as a ranger you want to attack non-stop and as a summoner you want to get your zoo out asap, which means these professions aren't compatible. Personally I like to combo ranger with a couple of levels of scoundrel or polymorph for the mobility skills and give summoner a secondary magic school to get some support skills from that school (like haste/ clear mind from pyro or heal/magic armor from hydro).

Healing undead can be a challenge, especially if he's melee. Your best bet is to stock on poison potions and make sure your Geo guy has a lot of points in geo for poison bombs and fortify buffs. It's easier to manage if the undead is ranged. I personally have my undead as the Geo caster, so he's mostly self-sufficient and he's ranged so he's mostly away from harm. Since Fane is a rogue it's also a good idea to get some levels of Necro and take advantage of your high dps to heal from lifesteal.

Finished my first playthrough last night at ~80 hrs played.

The final fight
is a bit silly. Load up on OP source skills and go 100% damage mode on braxxus or die.

Already gearing myself up for a tactician playthrough though this will probably get sidelined by Super Mario Odyssey. I can't imagine a for honour playthrough though...

Meccs

So the preferred combination would be all Physical DMG + Magic support since a combination of the two dmg types would basically mean that you have to burn through 3 HP bars.

MikeBison

So the preferred combination would be all Physical DMG + Magic support since a combination of the two dmg types would basically mean that you have to burn through 3 HP bars.

Summoners are great for this. Can send out a champion to any surface you want, physical or magical to deal damage of that type or a mixture of both. Plus once buff they always have ranged attacks, knockdown, whirlwinds etc.

My summoner is all my main mage and support. So she sends her champion out, sets up some totems and then does elemental magic where necessary.

Renekton

Larian diversified the enemy armor values to incentivize mixed damage parties, though everything goes out the window once you use OP meta builds.

Lanrutcon

3 Ranged hybrids and one utility Mage.

Game, set, massiverangedcriticalsomg.

kionedrik

I can't comment on what works on classic or explorer but I can comment on what works in tactician/honor.

In your damage dealers, be it physical or magical, you want to spend as little points as possible in other skills that don't allow you to increase your dps, which means you want to spend those points in things that will increase your personal and/or overall team survivability, so you'll be looking for those 1 or 2 point support wonders like Haste, Fortify, Frost Armor, etc and those amazing mobility skills. These don't require a lot of investment so they are perfect complements to high-dps builds.
Pure support and pure hybrid classes play a bit differently but their general role can never be viewed as THE damage dealer, so there's a lot more freedom. They are there to allow your dps guy(s) to shine.

Lanrutcon

Won't high initiative bosses fk you up?

Eg the doctor demon guy

Don't see why. So one enemy gets to go before you? pfft. Prebuff and make sure your party start out at an advantageous position by using stealth and invisibility.

Open by having someone drop a buffed Assassinate from an elevated position on to the boss. See if his armor survives. Then whoever goes after him just CCs him with a special arrow. Even on Tactician, with the bloated armor and HP pools, ranged damage scales stupidly well.

Edit: Your example (Doctor Demon guy) won't survive two Arrow Storms on Tactician. One from a Ranger in combat (enraged, opener), one from a Ranger out of combat from Stealth (while the Doctor takes his turn).

Top Bottom