• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Sarcasm

How come there are no full maps to look at? Trying to see if there is anything north of black pits and West of where you find the witch.

KorrZ

I'm starting with 2 and loving it already. I'm wondering if going back to OS1 Enhanced is different enough but still solid.

That's what I'm wondering. The first game got a lot of praise, but I hear the story / tone was a drastic improvement from 1-> 2 which is concerning as that's one of the better parts of 2 for me.

Cels

reaper's coast
, the 2nd area you go to...absolutely massive. pretty nuts.

it was so huge that i was in fact underwhelmed by the 3rd area,
isle of the nameless
. went by very quickly compared to the 2nd area. now i'm just about getting ready to go to the 4th area. 57 hr in.

i think it's funny that as you level up, the shopkeepers suddenly start getting DIVINE items. like where did these podunk vendors get DIVINE items? they already had legendary items before too.

That's what I'm wondering. The first game got a lot of praise, but I hear the story / tone was a drastic improvement from 1-> 2 which is concerning as that's one of the better parts of 2 for me.

Original Sin has a goofier tone and puts substantially less effort into its story and characters. What's there isn't bad, exactly. It's just not as effective in pulling the player through the game. Fortunately, the game has other attractions.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Anyone know if the
Black Rose
Elixir is still bugged?

I just popped it near the end of Act 1, but have heard you lose the buff if you take it too early now....would rather go back an hour or 2 than have no buff for the next 80, thought I should check first though!

Renekton

Anyone know if the
Black Rose
Elixir is still bugged?

I just popped it near the end of Act 1, but have heard you lose the buff if you take it too early now....would rather go back an hour or 2 than have no buff for the next 80, thought I should check first though!
Not sure if it is worth the trouble since you will lose it upon death which comes often.

Lorcain

The biggest advice I would give someone just getting started is to be aware that the game has no mercy for wondering into areas and fights above your level or gear quality. It's easy to explore into a part of the map that your group isn't ready for yet. When that happens to me, I like to try out the encounter as kind of level check for my group. If I get stomped badly, I go explore somewhere else and come back.

The game doesn't artificially gate players away from harder content. The first game didn't either. It can lead to frustration if you're not aware that there are probably better places for your group to be at that level.

Akronis

Guys will it be possible to create user made content with stories and maps? I mean like the good old Neverwinter?

IIRC, didn't they pretty much say that Neverwinter Nights's module system was an inspiration for their mod tools?

I think that's how the current tools are set up. I haven't tried them though.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I just love the writing in this game. I found a quest that was so funny and yet serious that I couldn't help but laugh at several of the speaking options. The narrator is so good at the deadpan delivery, also. Spoilers for the quest below.

I got into an Existential Argument with a skeleton I dug up in a graveyard. The Skeleton made it a life or death duel of wits via magic or something, and so my undead character was now locked in philosophical combat with another undead. Some of the choices the Undead characters have in that debate are amazing. "How are we even having this conversation without a voice box?" LOL. I had to reload a few times to get the outcome I wanted, but I also ended up trying it with several other party members to see the other tags try to reason through the arguement. But in the end I couldn't go with anythting else other than skeleton v skeleton.

Ryzaki009

I just love the writing in this game. I found a quest that was so funny and yet serious that I couldn't help but laugh at several of the speaking options. The narrator is so good at the deadpan delivery, also. Spoilers for the quest below.

I got into an Existential Argument with a skeleton I dug up in a graveyard. The Skeleton made it a life or death duel of wits via magic or something, and so my undead character was now locked in philosophical combat with another undead. Some of the choices the Undead characters have in that debate are amazing. "How are we even having this conversation without a voice box?" LOL. I had to reload a few times to get the outcome I wanted, but I also ended up trying it with several other party members to see the other tags try to reason through the arguement. But in the end I couldn't go with anythting else other than skeleton v skeleton.

Pretty sure Jester/Outlaw can do it but no companion has that combination of tags.

Sullichin

Jester/Mystic is my favorite combination but I'm not sure there's any persuasion checks for that particular combo, lol

But it's funny to sound like an idiot one second and then speak of Ancient Gods the next

Lorcain

Jester/Mystic is my favorite combination but I'm not sure there's any persuasion checks for that particular combo, lol

But it's funny to sound like an idiot one second and then speak of Ancient Gods the next
I'm playing Lohse as my character, and she has some hilariously diverse dialogue options because of the Jester/Mystic combination. It reminds me a little of playing as a Malkavian in VTM Bloodlines (one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time).

Stevey

Act 3

Lol, just teleported the
Eternal Stormblade
to the entrance of the cave, then picked it up without waking the sentinels

OK that is odd - so Dwarves
are happy to run through Deadfog - all the while smashing open crates and insta killing some of my party (down in the Sewer area). Am I missing something and have yet to discover their nature of their invulnerability?

KorrZ

OK that is odd - so Dwarves
are happy to run through Deadfog - all the while smashing open crates and insta killing some of my party (down in the Sewer area). Am I missing something and have yet to discover their nature of their invulnerability?

Yes. I'm sure you can guess at this point.

I'm at the respect point and I want to redo most of my party. Is there anyway to change the class so that I get the initial spells/skills? From what I see, you can only change the points.

If not, any recommendations to get basic skills I need for 4 classes? I bought several but I'd be missing a majority of them.

Dr. A

One tip I've seen that's very helpful is that if you come across a elemental barrel (water, oil, poison), you could pick it up then teleport to your fave waypoint and drop the barrel. Now you have an infinite source of that element so e.g. you could easily craft poison bottles for healing your undead

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
because I'm a baby, I'm thinking of restarting with some builds suggested by other people. Speaking of, does anyone have a link to a decent starter build guide? Stats that are worth raising and what suits each class type?

Sarcasm

How to deal with madness?

Avoid that section of the map and move onto next act?

Doesn't help I can't find good enough gear to bost my defense so....I can one shot myself. Which creature on BM causes it? All of them?

Cheaaapppppp.

I just got through the
gargoyle
maze before bed last night. I was wondering if
The Historian
returns at any point, like
Withermore
does? That fight took me quite a few tries over the period of a couple days and I was annoyed that the scene ended so abruptly.
He just says "Thanks, but I ain't telling you shit." before warping away. I don't think I got any extra XP for dousing him either.

Better backup school of magic for pyro / geo mage. Hydro for frost armor and healing or aero for teleport shennigans?

Same question for a hydro / aero mage? Geo for buffs or pyro for damage?

Or should i just uber specialize? Other 2 party members are 2h warrior and dual wielding rogue

Sarcasm

Doing a huge load of damage is so pointless when the enemies can do more things than you. Then for some reason more enemies spawn.

Of course they are evading. Which lasts longer than your evading aura.

So I get owned because every hour or level up there is really no gear upgrades.

Nothing really tactical about this.

Renekton

Better backup school of magic for pyro / geo mage. Hydro for frost armor and healing or aero for teleport shennigans?

Or should i just uber specialize? Other 2 party members are 2h warrior and dual wielding rogue
I ran full Hydro/Aero alongside Geo/Pyro until start of Act 3 and it has been incredibly underwhelming.

If you still want a 2nd support mage, only get 3 Hydro + 3 Aero for all the utility you need then max the really fun schools like Summoning and Necromancy.

Doing a huge load of damage is so pointless when the enemies can do more things than you. Then for some reason more enemies spawn.

Of course they are evading. Which lasts longer than your evading aura.

So I get owned because every hour or level up there is really no gear upgrades.

Nothing really tactical about this.
I think you gotta do the Lanrutcon thing with setup, pre-buffs and pre-stealth instead of walking into them head-on.

TokiDoki

I gave up on the first one during Act 2 not because of the gameplay but the story . There's nothing gripping about it and I'm not fond of stories that don't take itself seriously . As for the sequel , I just can't stop playing as one reason of it is for the story alone .

Sygma

I'm playing Lohse as my character, and she has some hilariously diverse dialogue options because of the Jester/Mystic combination. It reminds me a little of playing as a Malkavian in VTM Bloodlines (one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time).

Lohse + Fane is a hell of a ride

EndersAres

Neo Member
I'm so angry right now. I made a decision back in act 3 which I thought was for the whole party but I now find out at the end of the game it was only for the character I use to talk to npcs with. No options with party dialog to help or anything. Then I got hit with some story that made me wonder why that had to happen in the first place. Got like 70ish hours into this save and I have to start over because of some decision I made 20 hours ago. Maybe I can get back there in half the time since I know pretty much everything there is to do now I reckon and up the difficulty.

Mxrz

Had the game since release. Just now starting to break out of Fort Joy. But every combat encounter is some epic struggle so far. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

PC - - - - - - Fire/Air.
Lohse - - - - Water/Air
Elf girl - - - - Uh. rogue stuff.
Skeleton - - Warfare Earth.

Usually go melee in games, but wanted to do something different this time. do you get enough points/levels to focus more than just two skills?

Renekton

Had the game since release. Just now starting to break out of Fort Joy. But every combat encounter is some epic struggle so far. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

PC - - - - - - Fire/Air.
Lohse - - - - Water/Air

Usually go melee in games, but wanted to do something different this time. do you get enough points/levels to focus more than just two skills?
You get enough to max two, but for utility skills you only need 2-3 to get the benefits.

Stevey

PC - - - - - - Fire/Air.
Lohse - - - - Water/Air

I made Sebille (the Elf girl) a Ranger/Huntsman, does the most damage in my Party.
Also the early game is the hardest when you have little or no gear.

Meccs

So at what point do you guys put points into "Defence"? Is it worth spending points into Retribution early?

kionedrik

More than 2 schools per mage is overkill till late game and even then you'll most likely end up with one of those schools at level 5. Bee-lining level 10 on your preferred school and leaving the secondary at the bare minimum to get some skills, usually 2, is the way to go. Anyway, I don't like Aero as a main school but always end up putting 2 points in it for the teleports and evade spells.

I think you gotta do the Lanrutcon thing with setup, pre-buffs and pre-stealth instead of walking into them head-on.

There's no need to do any of that.

Meccs

I feel 1-2 into perseverance is not a bad investment and can reduce annoyingly long CC chains.
Alright, thanks.

The inventory management is a nightmare imho. It's a big fat clusterfuck. I wish you could label your bags and better yet set stuff like consumables or keys etc to go automatically there. I spend like 10 minutes regularly going through all the stuff. It's not fun.

Guys,

I have 2 physical and 2 magical characters but it seems like it would be better to concentrate on one only because of the armor issue. I mean it is double work to chew through both armors just to be able to CC.

Any ideas? I must stress that I'm newb and perhaps this gets better/changed during gameplay. I'm still at Fort Joy lvl 3 so far

Guys,

I have 2 physical and 2 magical characters but it seems like it would be better to concentrate on one only because of the armor issue. I mean it is double work to chew through both armors just to be able to CC.

Any ideas? I must stress that I'm newb and perhaps this gets better/changed during gameplay. I'm still at Fort Joy lvl 3 so far

You get free respecs from act 2 onwards, so don't panic about locking yourself into a bad party!

Focusing on one type of damage is good (especially physical) because crowd control is so powerful. I'd probably recommend making one of your mages a summoner or necromancer because they do physical damage and letting the other stay as a normal mage.

Renekton

Guys,

From my experience, the game usually tries to have some enemies with high physical armor and some with high magic armor in the same fight. So you're not gimped, at least not in Classic.

Lanrutcon

Guys,

If you're on Classic don't stress. You can complete the game with 4 monkeys. If you're genuinely struggling, then give your casters shields (takes Constitution) and heavy armor (takes Str). Give them 1 point in Warfare for Shield Throw, which does damage based on the armor of the shield. Now your Mages can contribute in getting through the physical armor.

That being said, lvl 3 is stupidly early in the game. You can get to lvl 5 without fighting anything, for example. For now, just explore and talk to folks and whatnot.

That being said, lvl 3 is stupidly early in the game. You can get to lvl 5 without fighting anything, for example. For now, just explore and talk to folks and whatnot.

This just blows my mind really. I've done some fighting, perhaps 3-4 fights so far and here I was thinking I was running out of things to do :) Shows how much more there is :)

Lanrutcon

This just blows my mind really. I've done some fighting, perhaps 3-4 fights so far and here I was thinking I was running out of things to do :) Shows how much more there is :)

In the tutorial there are 2 fights, one is skippable.
In Fort Joy, you can escape without having to fight.
Then outside Fort Joy, you can go into and complete a handful of caves/dungeons/puzzles without having to fight.

Stealth and invisibility are your friends.

Brockxz

This Existential conversation happens in Larian's first game Divine Divinity. You meet 2 skeletons in catacombs under first village having conversation like this.

Top Bottom