• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

The quest log and marker system is going to make me delete this game. Something so simple breaks the entire game.

I either:

1) Don't know if I completed it
2) Missing something
3) Useless to use

This shitty quest system should be abolished.

Other than some broken/bugged quests and the Journal being a pain in general to navigate, there is nothing wrong with the current system. The game isn't going to tell you what to do or where to go. That's up to you to figure out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The quest log and marker system is going to make me delete this game. Something so simple breaks the entire game.

I either:

2) Missing something
3) Useless to use

I've played over 40 hours now and it really hasn't bothered me. This isn't a "go through check list of quests" type of RPG, so don't approach it with that mindset. The journal is just there to track important information related to the quest, not tell you what to do. I could see how it would bother the hell out of an OCD completionist, though.

I am currently running a Rogue, 2H Knight and a Ranger and one Mage that feels extremely underpowered in terms of damage because of the separate magic resistance bar. I will test him as a pure support (buff/debuff/teleport) without doing any damage. The balance in this game seems a bit wonky. I also don't see where this "summoners are op op" comes from... unless they mean having summoning on 2 or more characters. That would probably work the best since the Ai is kinda dumb on classic and gets confused with a lot of summoned stuff.

Mages seem like pure trash in this game outside outside of utility. I respecced Lohse to use a bow and get Huntsman abilities while keeping the bare minimum of Aerothurge and Hydrosophist abilities (stuff like Teleport, Frost Armor, Rain, healing stuff). Arrows destroy magic in terms of damage output in this game and you still retain a ton of utility with the special arrows that you get boat loads of throughout the game.

I'm running Ifan as a 2-hand Knight, Red Price as a 1-hand + shield Knight, Sebille as a dual-wielding Rogue and Lohse as a Ranger with a side of magic. In act 3 with everyone at Lv. 18 and the synergy for this party is quite good, indeed. Once the melee classes get some good mobility skills, I feel like everything really comes together.

Lanrutcon

I either:

2) Missing something
3) Useless to use

I have bad news.

9/10 you missed something. I used to look at my journal at the end of each chapter and go "Man, so many broken quests". Then after I finished I started googling things and...uh...most weren't broken, I either fucked em through violence or I just plain missed something.

Moff

I have bad news.

9/10 you missed something. I used to look at my journal at the end of each chapter and go "Man, so many broken quests". Then after I finished I started googling things and...uh...most weren't broken, I either fucked em through violence or I just plain missed something.

thats not my experience at all, I posted the ones I got unfinished in act 2 and there were like 3 or 4 bigger sidequests and a few minor ones (from ghosts) and they were definitely bugged, other people in the comments on the divinity wiki confirmed that.
and even if you "fucked em through violence", they should at least be failed or something like that. a good RPG of course would let you finish them another way.

Sullichin

I picked up some boots that grant Blood Sucker in Act 2, but I forgot where and i can't find them on my other save. I don't remember if it was a random drop or not. Anyone know?

Meccs

I have a question regarding a quest early in Act 2.

The one with the spider woman. You get the ashen idol of rebirth or the glowing idol of rebirth dependent how you answered. But what is the difference? I searched the net but couldn't find an answer.

Gorger

I have stumbled across a pretty annoying game breaking bug, and I can't really load back because I will lose hours of progress.

What happened is that I dismissed Fane a while ago to try out the other companions, but for some reason as he was leaving he must have run into a conversation with Magister Borris who stands by the gates of Fort Joy. Hours later as I meet up with Fane in the sanctuary, he is now locked in a conversation with Borris making it impossible for me to speak or interact with him. The same thing goes for Magister Borris, who unfortunately has a quest for Ifan that I can't continue because it won't let me speak with either of them.

So two important companion quests are now stuck in Limbo unless I find a way to break their conversation. But I have tried everything I can think of including teleporting, pickpocketing, attacking, setting them both on fire, poison... nothing works :(

Anyone experienced the same issue?

Moff

I have a question regarding a quest early in Act 2.

The one with the spider woman. You get the ashen idol of rebirth or the glowing idol of rebirth dependent how you answered. But what is the difference? I searched the net but couldn't find an answer.

I always got the glowing idol.
but it doesn't matter, they are both the same thing, the ashen idol is just the empty version of it, combine it with a scroll of resurrection in the crafting screen to recharge it.
don't forget you can do the quest with every character and get 4 idols, 5 even if you steal one.

Meccs

I always got the glowing idol.
but it doesn't matter, they are both the same thing, the ashen idol is just the empty version of it, combine it with a scroll of resurrection in the crafting screen to recharge it.
But you only get it when you answer with "
chrysalis
..."? I did get other stuff/stats when I chose a different answer but never the idol.

venomenon

The axe?

The Hammer
By now I just imagine the woman (?) getting it wrong over and over again and the guy rolling his eyes harder and harder each time before he finally corrects her.

Game's superb. I think I'm close to the end of act 3 and I don't want it to end anytime soon. Really got into the combat and skill system after a very rough start to the point I've felt overpowered for a while now. If there weren't such a ton of great games coming out I'd start it again on Tactitian once I'm through.

Moff

I wanted to do that too, but when I engaged the town and I had to wait for turns of a few dozen npcs I just called it a day and finished the act

Orcastar

But you only get it when you answer with "
chrysalis
..."? I did get other stuff/stats when I chose a different answer but never the idol.

The free respec option makes all the stat changes worthless, so the best option is to just get four idols.

Sarcasm

I have bad news.

I went through it last night before act 2. I only messed up one because I didn't talk to the item instead I lockpicked it lol.

I've played over 40 hours now and it really hasn't bothered me. This isn't a "go through check list of quests" type of RPG, so don't approach it with that mindset. The journal is just there to track important information related to the quest, not tell you what to do. I could see how it would bother the hell out of an OCD completionist, though.

I have a 119 hours. Mainly because I am a completest. I just got to Act 3 heh. I spend most of my time deciphering the quests. Older games like this the quest log at least gave you hints where to go/do and no markers.

This doesn't really give hints and half the time broken (like completed still being active) markers.

Other than some broken/bugged quests and the Journal being a pain in general to navigate, there is nothing wrong with the current system. The game isn't going to tell you what to do or where to go. That's up to you to figure out.

So this system which is worse than the old system can be looked over?

* Broken Markers, no need for them
* Except the log most of the time doesn't give clues or hints

The old ass games had no markers and the log was very useful. This isn't the same.

Luckily you can just complete most be being a pacifist first, then the aggressor. Also by exploring everything. Also keep the non common books.

I love this game, its the game of the year for me but please the quest system isn't like the old days. If it was the log would be VERY useful and there would be no markers.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Sounds like the fight is only bad on Tactical and Honor.

It's pretty breezy on Classic. I just spent everyone's AP on keeping shields and HP up inside a dome bless, any spare AP used to hit the BR guy, patiently wait for AI to hit each other instead of me.

I was on classic, but didn't have a 'custom' character bubble (which i've heard is really good), so maybe that's a part of it, but the 'AI' was definitely not focused on hitting each other.

The big 'secondary' boss kept hitting my team with its giant aoe spells, and all of the rest of the AI was definitely not focusing only on each other.

I finally won on the third try due to good positioning 'between rounds' and saving my arrow storm for the 'secondary' boss to kill off the summons.

Reivaxe

I think I gotta restart my game. :(

I didn't talk to the Skeleton guy in Fort Joy and now in Act 2 NOTHING advances Sebilles quest ... and she's my damn main character.

I was loving her story and it breaks my heart to see that I can't do shit with it now.

I wanted to do her first and then move on to other characters in replays.

Sarcasm

I think I gotta restart my game. :(

I didn't talk to the Skeleton guy in Fort Joy and now in Act 2 NOTHING advances Sebilles quest ... and she's my damn main character.

I was loving her story and it breaks my heart to see that I can't do shit with it now.

I wanted to do her first and then move on to other characters in replays.

YOU actually should be able to continue. Where did you say you forgot to do what?

Renekton

I have bad news.

Many of them (like the
kitchen cook or Sadha without Prince
) have completion criteria that require being a murderous snitch, there is no other path

Reivaxe

YOU actually should be able to continue. Where did you say you forgot to do what?

Didn't speak with Zaleskar. I left the island without speaking with him AND I didn't take Ifan. Some boy at the start of act 2 asked to see Ifan cause some higher up wanted to speak with him and I said he was dead ... that's the last I've heard of his organization from a story pov for any of the characters.

Sarcasm

Didn't speak with Zaleskar. I left the island without speaking with him AND I didn't take Ifan. Some boy at the start of act 2 asked to see Ifan cause some higher up wanted to speak with him and I said he was dead ... that's the last I've heard of his organization from a story pov for any of the characters.

Trust me keep going. Ifan was dead on my save too.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Act 2,
Wreckers
Cave
What the hell? I've been split up, and literally the only one surviving this more than a minute is my mage, who ended up in the room with the dwarf. There's a tunnel leading nowhere, and behind the second door are voidwoken that tear me up.

My warrior is in a room that's just full of enemies, my thief's in a room with also one door that can be opened, with another huge voidwoken plus eggs waiting behind it.

Ifan is is in another nice peaceful room, but when he sets foot outside, another giant cold voidwoken waits to destroy him.

I'm fine with figuring out group fights, but this is just silly, there's no way I'll defeat any of those with one level 10-11 character.

edit right after writing I managed to
meet up Lohse and Ifan. Things are looking up, completely missed the fight with the dwarves in the boat with Ifan, he destroyed them from the ledge.

Lanrutcon

Act 2,
Wreckers
Cave
What the hell? I've been split up, and literally the only one surviving this more than a minute is my mage, who ended up in the room with the dwarf. There's a tunnel leading nowhere, and behind the second door are voidwoken that tear me up.

My warrior is in a room that's just full of enemies, my thief's in a room with also one door that can be opened, with another huge voidwoken plus eggs waiting behind it.

Ifan is is in another nice peaceful room, but when he sets foot outside, another giant cold voidwoken waits to destroy him.

I'm fine with figuring out group fights, but this is just silly, there's no way I'll defeat any of those with one level 10-11 character.

edit right after writing I managed to
meet up Lohse and Ifan. Things are looking up, completely missed the fight with the dwarves in the boat with Ifan, he destroyed them from the ledge.

They can't climb ladders and rock facings. Hint hint.

So I was just running around the Driftwood Arena as Fane when the game froze up for a good 15 seconds. I was close to alt+F4-ing when suddenly I was inside a scene with a "Dessicate Soldier" yelling at Fane to press a button in order to save him. I forget what my dialogue options were, but it ended up in me singing some song from my homeland or whatever.

Then I was abruptly back in Driftwood Arena.

There was no warp animation or anything, so I imagine I wasn't...supposed to see this, right? Some sort of bug?

Edit:

I just noticed it created an Autosave at this scene. Loading it up and picking the second dialogue option allows me to run around...wherever this is.

Edit 2: OK, it updated my quest log and I understand where I am now. Definitely a strange glitch.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

I'm actually enjoying the vague nature of the questing, it's such a breath of fresh air...reminds me so much of my time with BG1/2.

It's the complete opposite to 'go here, do this, hand this in' that I'm loving it on sheer principle lol.

Arkanius

Guys just so I am sure:
Am I building my Mage right?

pL9P6Hz.jpg

49Fy3A1.jpg

It feels like I do jack shit of damage to the Mage shields. I thought the combo of Geomancer + Pyro was great for DPS... Not feeling it.

I'll say drop/lower geo and pump pyro

and/or go with summon

I don't really like pyro for long range caster due to the close combat skills

Drop the staff and go 2 wands or wand+shield

kionedrik

Guys just so I am sure:
Am I building my Mage right?

It feels like I do jack shit of damage to the Mage shields. I thought the combo of Geomancer + Pyro was great for DPS... Not feeling it.

Get level 10 on your favorite school before leveling any other past 2.
Get memory levels for spells slots, get a wand with +int and/or +pyro/geo (you'll most likely keep it till the end of the game since you won't right-click anymore due to all the spells you can now have) and get shield for survivability and warfare 1 for shield bash.

Finished the game today.

Hooray.

Took about 70 hours.

Spent the rest of the afternoon trying to find a new game to play. Started about 5 and thought...Nah.

Might re-start this one.

BTA

Polygon's review went up and it's a 7/10...Which dropped the overall Metascore to 93.

Sounds about right. They sent someone who can't press two buttons at once to play Cuphead. They probably sent an illiterate monkey to play Divinity.

So I’m guessing on your way to Metacritic you didn’t stop to read the well written review where the reviewer talked in detail about all the problems they encountered in the 90 hours that they played the game? Nothing there seemed out of place to me! Not to mention that she’s a freelancer and did not decide the final score by herself.

Also, the Cuphead thing was VentureBeat. If you’re gonna hold a grudge against a site for an arbitrary reason, maybe at least make sure it's the correct one?

Stevey

So in Arx, got in a fight in the harbor, missed like a turn and a half, just skipped my party's turn for no reason that I could see.

Running out of patience with the game after 75 hours.

screw the persuasion check by those kids in the sewer's. good thing i got 2 heavy hitters that wipe the floor of their bodyguards.

Loshe quest is a joke if you take the easy route, kinda wish i didn't

Beat the game today on Tactician. Did pretty much everything and clocked in 95 hours.

About the final boss:

First attempt, the Kraken literally destroyed my entire party in the first turn. 15k+ AoE damage in a single turn.

Second attempt, the Kraken for some reason only used its least damaging attack, so I bumrushed Braccus with my 2H warrior and mowed him down in 2 turns with a lucky crit, knockdown, then Onslaught.

Didn't even attack anyone else.

Loshe quest is a joke if you take the easy route, kinda wish i didn't

It's easily the most difficult fight in the game if you take the hard route. I had to completely rebuild my party and get new gear just for that one fight.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
So in Arx, got in a fight in the harbor, missed like a turn and a half, just skipped my party's turn for no reason that I could see.

Running out of patience with the game after 75 hours.

not sure why this bs happens, honestly. The Doctor fight was such fun with him and his superpowered demons getting all the time in the world to kick my arse. But sadly didn't work for them, the fuckers, because my ranger Ifan and 2h Sebille were enough to massacre them

Top Bottom