• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

I feel like I might've messed something up

Uh, boat spoilers.

When everyone was knocked out Fane was missing. I hope he made it!
I also killed the knocked out Magister. She bugged me. Did I ruin it?

If anything I guess it's a good game because I'm second-guessing my decisions.

danthefan

Did anyone else really struggle between level 3 and level 4? I'm level 3 at the moment and I basically can't find a fight I think I can win, you have the
slugs, the guys in the dungeon basement, Griff,
all of whom beat me easily enough. I've explored most of the island now except for the
fort itself

Did anyone else really struggle between level 3 and level 4? I'm level 3 at the moment and I basically can't find a fight I think I can win, you have the
all of whom beat me easily enough. I've explored most of the island now except for the
fort itself

Those slugs are rough. Stand in the water and their trails dont work and they cant heal. If you have pet pal make that companion talk to the royal slug.

Sygma

Got stucked for a good 2 hours in the maze ... fucking mandatory "quest" script on the last skull pickup qq

Also I'm lvl 6 and can basically anything between 200 - 400 hp (including armor) with my battlemage in one turn. Feels kinda great to not be a part of the ranger club :p

Clear mind added to warfare and huntsman + flesh sacrifice allow for some wild openers lol

danthefan

Those slugs are rough. Stand in the water and their trails dont work and they cant heal. If you have pet pal make that companion talk to the royal slug.

I did talk to them, didn't seem to lead anywhere or result in a quest, is it meant to?

Edit, I should say I tried to fight them because I wanted the XP. I feel like my level is too low.

fort itself

I absolutely struggled and thought about giving up. Keep at it. I used pet pal on the
slugs
, and then, when you get into the dungeon,
you don't have to do a fight I found very tough, you can *hint hint* sneak and steal what you need to progress
. Once you get a bit further, you'll get piles of XP and make level 4 comfortably.

Stiler

Man, the Radeka fight can just take a flying leap holy shit that difficulty spike.

Took me like 15 tries and ended up using not one but three res scrolls.

Radeka is probably the best fight in the game.
After act1 any difficulty in the game dies out because of how absurdly good gear becomes + infinite respect to create the most optimal team comps.

Artdayne

early game maybe, but 2h just scales better than dw, there's no way round that

Yep, I had a rogue and a 2h warrior in my party and by mid to late game the rogue had no chance to keep up with 2h. The abilities scale off of weapon damage and 2h has the best weapon damage by far.

ChazGW7

I hope the difficulty stays high throughout the entire game for me on Classic mode. Judging by peoples posts it looks like it will, otherwise I might have to go up to Tactician.

Man, the Radeka fight can just take a flying leap holy shit that difficulty spike.

Took me like 15 tries and ended up using not one but three res scrolls.

You can play however you like but throwing yourself into the same encounter over a dozen times might be a sign to just back up and get some new gear, skills and XP before tackling it. It's a sidequest not a critical path bottleneck, nobody is forcing you to be victorious on the first attempt.

Lanrutcon

I hope the difficulty stays high throughout the entire game for me on Classic mode. Judging by peoples posts it looks like it will, otherwise I might have to go up to Tactician.

On Classic I've found that the difficulty is mostly at the start of the game, and the first half of Chapter 2. If you wring every drop of xp and loot out of Chapter 2 you become incredibly badass. I'm ending most fights in Chapter 3 within 2 rounds. Haven't felt any pressure at all.

Baseface

Neo Member
Has anyone tried the co-op MP?

I did last night with a friend and while combat is fine with it, i feeling the exploration/dialogue parts a bit too chaotic as we can be on other sides of the map talking to different people doing completly different things. And even when together it's not ideal as the speaker can skip parts of the conversation and pick things to say without the listener being able to keep up.

Duffk1ng

How long is chapter 1? I've played 12 hours and I think I'm close to rinsing mooost stuff I can do before making my escape. Are the other chapters longer with larger play areas? Feels like I've only been in a very small area so far.

Lanrutcon

How long is chapter 1? I've played 12 hours and I think I'm close to rinsing mooost stuff I can do before making my escape. Are the other chapters longer with larger play areas? Feels like I've only been in a very small area so far.

Chapter 2 took my 3 times as long as Chapter 1, and there's a LOT more ground to cover.

Leezard

Chapter 2 is longer than chapter 1 by around twice, chapter 3/4 are shorter.

Moff

I am very bad at this game so its constantly challenging on classic, which is great. Right now that boss in the ancient temple in the black pits is kicking my ass. I will return when I am 3 or 4 levels overleveled.

Durante

Concerning the difficulty, we are playing on Classic (the people I play with aren't CRPG masochists :p), and while it was certainly difficult throughout compared to most games these days, I feel like it got much easier already (not easy, but easier) towards the end of Act 1. Having a full set of gear and around 100 of each type of armor makes a massive difference.

I'm curious how we will fare in Act 2.

ChazGW7

Concerning the difficulty, we are playing on Classic (the people I play with aren't CRPG masochists :p), and while it was certainly difficult throughout compared to most games these days, I feel like it got much easier already (not easy, but easier) towards the end of Act 1. Having a full set of gear and around 100 of each type of armor makes a massive difference.

On Classic I've found that the difficulty is mostly at the start of the game, and the first half of Chapter 2. If you wring every drop of xp and loot out of Chapter 2 you become incredibly badass. I'm ending most fights in Chapter 3 within 2 rounds. Haven't felt any pressure at all.

Bummer, time to move up to tactician it seems.

Lanrutcon

Start of Act 2 is going to be a bit of a shock. 100 armor? Wait til you see what the enemies are packing. Plus, there's a veeeery specific path to take in the beginning of Act 2, and some very obvious paths that will throw you against level 13 to 15 enemies.

Kuosi

Yep, I had a rogue and a 2h warrior in my party and by mid to late game the rogue had no chance to keep up with 2h. The abilities scale off of weapon damage and 2h has the best weapon damage by far.

and 2h gives you 5% dmg and 5% crit multi, while dw only gives you 5% dmg and dodge, dw is the weakest weapon skill in terms of pure dmg, come endgame when you can reach ridiculously high crit on 2h warrior even w/o wits investment the 2h specialization just outshines the rest

You can't move up to tatician. And it really does change anything, the reason the game is a lot easier than OS, is because the best strategys work consistently.

You don't struggle over a decision your gonna make in combat, because you know exactly what will happen ( Minus crit chance). You know all the numbers and your chance to miss is 5 or 0%.
You simply commit to your strategy from turn 1, because of the armour system.

How viable is a shield and dagger tank char? Im thinking it would struggle stacking enough armour/magic protection without a high enough strength to equip the stronger armour.

and 2h gives you 5% dmg and 5% crit multi, while dw only gives you 5% dmg and dodge, dw is the weakest weapon skill in terms of pure dmg, come endgame when you can reach ridiculously high crit on 2h warrior even w/o wits investment the 2h specialization just outshines the rest

This is sort of a symptom of how the armor system has fucked everything up, tbh. Logically, being able to do a dodge build as a dw rogue in the middle of a fight should have real utility, but you'd have to be insane to do it; armor is so much more valuable than anything else that gear is going to always be your biggest survivability get, and stripping it from enemies is so important that you can't really justify taking anything away from damage output.

Honestly it really rankles me. This was not a good change.

Lanrutcon

How viable is a shield and dagger tank char? Im thinking it would struggle stacking enough armour/magic protection without a high enough strength to equip the stronger armour.

Actually, think about it.

You start with 10 of each stat. You have enough points at the beginning to get 12 Str and 12 Con. Now you can wear every shield and piece of platemail until the upper half of Chapter 2, by which point you'll be level 15 and have earned 28 more stat points. Put 4 of those 28 more points into Con and Str, and now you can wear stuff well into chapter 3.

That leaves you the overwhelming majority of your attributes to be whatever you want. So really, every character that isn't dual wielding or wearing a 2h weapon should be wearing platemail and a shield.

Durante

Start of Act 2 is going to be a bit of a shock. 100 armor? Wait til you see what the enemies are packing. Plus, there's a veeeery specific path to take in the beginning of Act 2, and some very obvious paths that will throw you against level 13 to 15 enemies.
I meant more that 100 was the point where the difficulty seemed to change -- by now, we are pretty decently beyond that on most characters.

Anyone having hard crashes? Happened twice in the same night.
No crashes for any of our group of 3 in the first 28 hours.
(Also no severe bugs to speak of, which is pretty impressive for a game of this complexity at release)

But there do appear to be some issues for some people -- and none of us play on a system with less than 16 GB RAM.

You should be able to finish that cave at level 11, but note that
you are supposed to lose the first fight and get split up, you need to find a way to let your team group up after that.

While I don't think it's keeping in the spirit of the encounter
You can use the Waypoints literally at any time. That means that you can just regroup everyone immediately at a shrine and re-enter the dungeon. Same things happens if you flee combat.

Personally I embraced the
split
though. Made for some very unique battles that tested my skills in different ways than before.

This is sort of a symptom of how the armor system has fucked everything up, tbh. Logically, being able to do a dodge build as a dw rogue in the middle of a fight should have real utility, but you'd have to be insane to do it; armor is so much more valuable than anything else that gear is going to always be your biggest survivability get, and stripping it from enemies is so important that you can't really justify taking anything away from damage output.

While I totally disagree with your take on the armor system ( I think it's a huge improvement over OS1), I do think dodge is probably the single most useless skill (or whatever you want to call it in the game). Especially when better abilities like Chameleon Cloak are so cheap.

Sanctuary

That's probably why you take Warfare and Scoundrel on a Rogue...
If all your goal is to become good at end game, congrats I guess?

Hopefully it gets reworked in time. They are big on enhancing the game post launch. Perhaps they will rework it.

Lanrutcon

I meant more that 100 was the point where the difficulty seemed to change -- by now, we are pretty decently beyond that on most characters.

No crashes for any of our group of 3 in the first 28 hours.
(Also no severe bugs to speak of, which is pretty impressive for a game of this complexity at release)

But there do appear to be some issues for some people -- and none of us play on a system with less than 16 GB RAM.

If I can make a suggestion (to everyone entering Chapter 2) follow the main storyline for a bit when you get there. It's easy to "Skyrim" things and get sidetracked before you're told what your goal is in Chapter 2. You'll then meet a lot of npcs without proper context, and you may make some bad decisions.

I'd killed two Source Masters before I'd even gotten the quest to go find em.
Had no idea who they were!

This game. Goddamn. It's got to be among the best games I ever played, and i'm usually pretty hard to please when it comes to cRPG's.

There's small issues and nitpicks here and there, but the core of the game is so ridiculously good and offers so much player freedom and choice, I don't want it to end.

Bravo Larian Studios. You've managed to create something special here.

Easily my game of the year in the best gaming year in ages.

Nothing out right now touches how special and wonderful this game is.

I feel like I'm playing something as majestic as Ocarina of Time for the first time. It's simply that fucking good.

Actually, think about it.

You start with 10 of each stat. You have enough points at the beginning to get 12 Str and 12 Con. Now you can wear every shield and piece of platemail until the upper half of Chapter 2, by which point you'll be level 15 and have earned 28 more stat points. Put 4 of those 28 more points into Con and Str, and now you can wear stuff well into chapter 3.

That leaves you the overwhelming majority of your attributes to be whatever you want. So really, every character that isn't dual wielding or wearing a 2h weapon should be wearing platemail and a shield.

Seems a bit of an oversight to not lock plate behind strength. But i know Larian don't like the whole locked into a role RPG logic.

Well it was a good change for everything but dual wielding :D. I much prefer not having a knockdown arrow cast on me at the start of a fight and getting steam rolled ala D1.

Reani

as a glass cannon rogue on tactician, armor and statuses are a bit overrated at least from player perspective.
there are SO MANY low tier buffs that remove almost all statuses (including knockdown) that i stopped caring about being debuffed at all.
1 huntsman, 1 pyro, 1 hydro on all characters and you are set.
knocked down? first aid
stunned? frost armor
terrified? clear mind

Kuosi

That's probably why you take Warfare and Scoundrel on a Rogue...
If all your goal is to become good at end game, congrats I guess?

why would one take scoundrel if you arent starving for movement? 5% crit multi isn't as good as 5% base dmg increase

Leezard

Seems a bit of an oversight to not lock plate behind strength. But i know Larian don't like the whole locked into a role RPG logic.

It kinda makes sense for a 2H Spear user, since Spears scale off of Finesse. Still a bit weird and could probably be solved by other means instead.

why would one take scoundrel if you arent starving for movement? 5% crit multi isn't as good as 5% base dmg increase

Crit multi is absolutely better than 5% base damage increase if you're talking about, say, Dual Wield. Dual Wield base damage increase is additive with the Finesse damage increase whereas the crit multi is multiplicative with your damage. Now Warfare is multiplicative so that one is better than Scoundrel for sure.

Reani

balance my friend. although, best path is something like, 2 scoundrel - max warfare - 5 scoundrel when you get last skillbook - equal dual wield / scoundrel

dont know about dual vs scoundrel though.

This game is ridiculously good, it just keeps blowing my mind.

Has anyone played around with Lucky Charm yet? I'm wondering if it's worth picking that over Thievery for pickpocketing. (In a co-op game, friends already have Thievery for lockpicking)

Lanrutcon

How much WITS do you invest per person?

Optimally? none.
You wanna find all those digging spots and hidden bits? Like, half of what you spent on your main stat, just on one person in your party. Best used on a physical damage character, as they don't need a talent to be able to crit.

This game is really good... but even the "normal" difficulty is brutal.
I got killed by some big ol'
FROGS
in a cave... and I cant
beat the houndmaster in the prison
Loving it so far though.

This game is really good... but even the "normal" difficulty is brutal.
I got killed by some big ol'
FROGS
in a cave... and I cant
beat the houndmaster in the prison
Loving it so far though.

You can
teleport the houndmaster away from his adds if you're standing right on the edge and fight him separately, if you were so inclined

Leezard

How much WITS do you invest per person?

It's good to get a couple points for say, a Huntsman or a 2H user, but it kinda pales compared to the efficiency of 3 rune slot amulets with crit runes. It's pointless for Scoundrels since you get free crit with backstab.

You can
teleport the houndmaster away from his adds if you're standing right on the edge and fight him separately, if you were so inclined

Ahh I don't have anyone with that :/
I'm probably going to end up just restarting and trying a new build. I made a mistake and now like 3 of my people are essentially the same haha

Post Act 2..

How many NPCs can you actually recruit/invite to the Lady Vengeance? So far, I've got:

- Jahan
- the fletcher
- the succubus
- the silent kid
- the ones from Act 1 (Malady, Gareth, Tarquin)

Did I miss anything?

Ahh I don't have anyone with that :/
I'm probably going to end up just restarting and trying a new build. I made a mistake and now like 3 of my people are essentially the same haha

There are some gloves you get from one of the very first combat encounters after you enter the fort, that have teleportation on them. The
Crocodiles on the beach

You can restart as well, but keep in mind that even 1 point will open up an entire new branch of spells and you get the option to respec your entire character later on.

Top Bottom