• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Renekton

Optimally? none.
You wanna find all those digging spots and hidden bits? Like, half of what you spent on your main stat, just on one person in your party. Best used on a physical damage character, as they don't need a talent to be able to crit.
What the... won't the enemies put you on the backfoot with disables at the start of every combat?

What's the best way to create smoke on the battlefield? Didn't realize the utility of it until very recently. Fires take too long to burn out in combat and smoke grenades only last for one round I believe.

What the... won't the enemies put you on the backfoot with disables at the start of every combat?

No, the game's initiative system is hard coded to alternate between good guy/bad guy/ etc no matter what your wits score. I believe relative wits just determines your parties turn order.

The system was put in precisely to prevent getting either party stunlocked right out of the gate.

Initiave barely matters anymore because it only determines the order within your group. It might be worth investing a little in the person who provides buffs but that's it.

At worst the order will be (enemy/ally) E-A-E-A-E-A-E-A.

There are some gloves you get from one of the very first combat encounters after you enter the fort, that have teleportation on them. The
Crocodiles on the beach

You can restart as well, but keep in mind that even 1 point will open up an entire new branch of spells and you get the option to respec your entire character later on.

Well damn haha
I somehow missed that fight. Thanks!!

Duffk1ng

Feel like I'm having an easier time with combat than expected so far. Just did a big fight with a lot of characters inside the fort in
the room where people get de-sourced by the judge
. Wasn't too bad. Things got hairy for Fane at one point but I teleported the guy next to him off to the other side of the room where he was harmless (dude was a swordsman). Sorted!

Found a way out but going to explore the rest of the fort first.

Hari Seldon

I fucking suck at this game or something. I'm level 6 and I stumbled upon that witch in a cave, she fucking totally destroyed my party, and I'm even cheating with having the 6 player party mod lol.

Renekton

No, the game's initiative system is hard coded to alternate between good guy/bad guy/ etc no matter what your wits score. I believe relative wits just determines your parties turn order.

The system was put in precisely to prevent getting either party stunlocked right out of the gate.

Initiave barely matters anymore because it only determines the order within your group. It might be worth investing a little in the person who provides buffs but that's it.

Thanks a lot! I coulda sworn it worked differently during beta.

Leezard

I fucking suck at this game or something. I'm level 6 and I stumbled upon that witch in a cave, she fucking totally destroyed my party, and I'm even cheating with having the 6 player party mod lol.

That's probably the hardest fight in act 1, give it a try later.

epmode

Have Kickstarter backers received the physical game yet? My copy was shipped on the 15th but it’s apparently still in Germany. (I’m in America)

What's the best way to create smoke on the battlefield? Didn't realize the utility of it until very recently. Fires take too long to burn out in combat and smoke grenades only last for one round I believe.

Have an area of fire then cast rain on it.

cevion

Did anyone else really struggle between level 3 and level 4? I'm level 3 at the moment and I basically can't find a fight I think I can win, you have the
slugs, the guys in the dungeon basement, Griff,
all of whom beat me easily enough. I've explored most of the island now except for the
fort itself

I feel you! What I did was that I killed any NPC in act 1 I deemed unnecessary. For instance, on the way to the Crocodiles you'll come upon a man by a coffin arguing with a lizard. (Spoilers for what happens in early act 1 during that event
Since he's about to kill that lizard anyway, I went ahead and attacked both the lizard and human by the coffin
. Free XP!

Another thing you can do is get the quest for finding the thief of Griff's drudanae (spelling), (Early Act 1 quest minor spoiler/tip)
convince the thief to give you the goods. Turn him in, but then quickly rush back to the thief and kill Griff's assassin
for a large chunk of experience.

Also make sure you pick up a Yarrow Flower and save it for a later quest. Finally, there's a sorta "hidden" quest in the elven caves if you
play hide and seek 2 times with the boy
. That should get you some extra exp as well.

Good luck, hope some of this helped :]

In other news, I now have both the "Hero" and the "Villain" tags. I thought one would negate the other, but to my surprise that doesn't seem to be the case.

Burt

I hit 4 before gong after Griff or the Houndmaster the other day. I think the stuff I did that I didn't before was the
void turtles above the alcove
, healing
the dying man outside the cave to get the Sparkler card that you can use to fight the card people
(you can probably just fight them regardless), resolving the Migo-yarrow quest, saving
Stingtail from the assassin once I turned him in to Griff
, and having someone with high wits find the passage behind
Migo
to get the cave/dungeon exploration XP. You could probably knock Migo off without any repercussions after it all if you still aren't there. Once you win the arena and
get your collar off
, the two magisters at the north gate and the one patrolling with the dog are also easy targets.

jiggles

Banned
Huh, if I get Sebille to cast blood sucker on Fane it damages him while if I cast it on undead enemies it heals them?

That... doesn't seem right.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
So, where to go for levelling from 10-12 in Driftwood? Seems like wherever I go i get annihilated by crazy scarecrows, top class summoner dogs and resurrecting undead heroes

Huh, if I get Sebille to cast blood sucker on Fane it damages him while if I cast it on undead enemies it heals them?

That... doesn't seem right.

That'd be a bug, unless it deals poison damage when targetting enemies. (Assuming the target has the Undead talent.)

Speaking of Blood Sucker, Rain Blood + Touch of Decay + Blood Sucker is an amazing, if time-consuming combo.
So, where to go for levelling from 10-12 in Driftwood? Seems like wherever I go i get annihilated by crazy scarecrows, top class summoner dogs and resurrecting undead heroes

I went (just directions)
North and then West, but there's a few spots immediately North/Northeast of the landing that are set for that level.

More than anything, I'd recommend finding the town for further guidance. There's lots to see and do there.

Hari Seldon

That's probably the hardest fight in act 1, give it a try later.

Alright thanks. I can't wait to get to the respec point because man it feels like I'm barely holding on in any fight and I don't have the money to keep buying res scrolls. Making my dude a battlemage plus having the dwarf battle mage seems worthless. The 2h lizzard dude doesn't do any damage either. The only people doing damage in my party are the rogue and the crossbow dude. The AI does a fantastic job of realizing this and bursting them down lol.

Arcteryx

Does this hold true for Lone Wolf though? because it clearly doesn't with my playthrough. I'm seeing multiple enemies between ally turns (2 LW). ex: A-E-E-(sometimes another E)-A is the norm.

Lanrutcon

I just cheered out loud when my dwarf sniped an Elven Scion for 3.2k.

Suck it, treehugger.

Does this hold true for Lone Wolf though? because it clearly doesn't with my playthrough. I'm seeing multiple enemies between ally turns (2 LW). ex: A-E-E-(sometimes another E)-A is the norm.

Yup. But no-one gets multiple turns, so if there's 2 of you and 6 of them it becomes E-A-E-A-E-E-E-E <round end>

Lanrutcon

Yeah I did the drawbridge before even entering Driftwood but I didn't go back east until almost the end of the chapter. The
Blackpits
isn't really level appropriate for starting out.

Oh, no. I was more referring to the bridge area and then the graveyard. If you reach that place then you've gone too far, and you're in for a bad time.

Imagine the ooze fight with a party new to chapter 2!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Wiping on a fight a few times, loading, then initiating the fight by teleporting the boss mob halfway across the map; (instead of talking to them to start the fight) is not cheating, right?

Lanrutcon

Wiping on a fight a few times, loading, then initiating the fight by teleporting the boss mob halfway across the map; (instead of talking to them to start the fight) is not cheating, right?

Nah. Neither is teleporting tough boss enemies near overpowered questgivers while they're in a dialogue menu and watching the NPC beat the shit out of the boss.

Durante

Have Kickstarter backers received the physical game yet? My copy was shipped on the 15th but it’s apparently still in Germany. (I’m in America)
I received my collector's edition the day after release, but I don't think it contains a physical game.

Lanrutcon

And you can Enrage Arrow Storm. For that special moment when you really want to express yourself with 16 critical crossbow bolts fired in rapid succession.

Sorry Meteor Shower, you've been bumped down to #2 on the overkill list.

InfernoNR

Anyone know if a polymorph/summoner build would be viable with some ability to persuade? Been thinking about going with something like this for my coop run.

cevion

There are lot's of quests in the city of Driftwood that I did to get me to lvl 11-12. Early act 2 tips/spoilers (
Check around the Inn and try finding whoever's responsible for the magisters' disappearance. Also try casting spirit vision and then going up the stairs in the inn. Another couple of quests that are easy missed are in the docks. There's a barrel of fish there that seems... suspicious. Also a basement there that you might want to investigate. Finally, check the undertavern out and other basements of houses in the town for additional quests.
You thoroughly explored Driftwood itself first, though, right? There is a ton of content (and XP obviously) that can be gained staying within the town limits.

This! So many quests that are easy to miss.

Anyone know if a polymorph/summoner build would be viable with some ability to persuade? Been thinking about going with something like this for my coop run.

Persuade doesn't really impact anything in combat other than the talent slot you should probably spend on Pet Pal, and both Summoner and Polymorph are super dope so you should be good.

Stiler

You can play however you like but throwing yourself into the same encounter over a dozen times might be a sign to just back up and get some new gear, skills and XP before tackling it. It's a sidequest not a critical path bottleneck, nobody is forcing you to be victorious on the first attempt.

I've spent 30 hours on Act 1, this is the last quest I have until the point of no return.

I've spent 30 hours on Act 1, this is the last quest I have until the point of no return.

Guess it depends on group setups, I personally beat that fight on first try at the level I entered, it wasn't the last thing I did either so I wasn't at max level. My rogue killed the boss in one turn and I don't remember the adds being much of a problem, I think I teleported a couple together to aoe knockdown with my warrior probably. Soothing Cold with decent hydro levels is especially good for this type of fights, my buffing char goes first due to being wits char, and it regenerates like 200 a turn(probably was only 100 a turn back then or maybe less, but it's a good amount).

In general I haven't had an issue with a single fight other than trying one of the optional boss fight in act2 when it was 3 levels higher than me(pro tip, that's an absolutely terrible idea, died on first turn). Everything else I've easily won, I've only had to rez a character once so far(learned that apparently web doesn't prevent skills that move you if they're attack skills, so an enemy I thought was disabled just blinked on top of my mage then crit whirlwind). My setup is very strong though I'd say, it's not completely min max but it's pretty optimized and I abuse CC a lot. It's amazing how much stuff isn't immune to a lot of CC. Polymorph especially seems like it was slapped together after they balanced the game and has several skills that seem to break many encounters.

Well, after trying just about everything to get a 4 player run in my group of friends going, I don't think it's going to happen and I'm bummed. Our schedules don't align well and some just want to experience the game at their own pace.

So, anyone up for starting a run later today? I don't really care what difficulty as I have played characters on all of them.

I could always ask in the huge Divinity Discord but asking here first feels best.

Oily blob made me want to go deep in summoner. It's so good.

Polymorpher is the best skill tree ever made.

You've gotta change your tactics then. The Radeka fight is tough, partly due to the positioning and terrain. If you have any items, use them; if you have any approaches you haven't tried, use them; if you can get better gear, do that. The only other option is to walk away.

Slightly different tactics can make all the difference in battle, particularly once you know what you're up against.

My personal tactic (I was annihilated my first time around, this is my second attempt):
I used Polymorpher to fly up beside Radeka with my rogue. With Adrenalin and backstabs, I was able to pierce her armour and knock her down. Then I chickened her next turn, and ruptured her. She died a turn later while running away. There were a few attacks thrown her way to finish the job IIRC.

The rest of my teammates were taking down the healer zombie in the pit and working to slow or armour break the flying bugs (to later disable them). I gave my crossbowman high ground before the battle--he was key for eliminating the healer and bugs.The melee zombies weren't too much of a problem, spending the majority of their time on fire or slowed.

The only problem was keeping my crossbowman alive during the fight. The bugs really wanted him dead. But with Radeka and the healer out of the way, it was simple crowd control from there onward.

Stiler

Guess it depends on group setups, I personally beat that fight on first try at the level I entered, it wasn't the last thing I did either so I wasn't at max level. My rogue killed the boss in one turn and I don't remember the adds being much of a problem, I think I teleported a couple together to aoe knockdown with my warrior probably. Soothing Cold with decent hydro levels is especially good for this type of fights, my buffing char goes first due to being wits char, and it regenerates like 200 a turn(probably was only 100 a turn back then or maybe less, but it's a good amount).

In general I haven't had an issue with a single fight other than trying one of the optional boss fight in act2 when it was 3 levels higher than me(pro tip, that's an absolutely terrible idea, died on first turn). Everything else I've easily won, I've only had to rez a character once so far(learned that apparently web doesn't prevent skills that move you if they're attack skills, so an enemy I thought was disabled just blinked on top of my mage then crit whirlwind). My setup is very strong though I'd say, it's not completely min max but it's pretty optimized and I abuse CC a lot. It's amazing how much stuff isn't immune to a lot of CC. Polymorph especially seems like it was slapped together after they balanced the game and has several skills that seem to break many encounters.

I'm not running with a rogue.

Have Ifan as a ranger and my best dps, then fane as the melee dps, which is what made this fight so hard because he's undead and using his geomancer poison would heal not only him, but all the undead that were around him.

Then had Lohse as my mage/healer for humans and Red Prince as CC tank.

I am really thinking about changing Lohse though to a rogue, because it seems much more worthwhile with the armor system to have a full party of physical or magic. Lohse is never able to use her spells to damage anyone because she's the only one with magic dmg really, so all her cc-combo's get blocked most of the time.

Blackpits Cave question
In a side cave there is a large green piece of stone. When I touch it nothing happens other than a brief text box. Then my MC says "Mask of the Shapeshifter, that's something I need to craft. And Fast. " I've had the mask forever but I don't understand why it applies here or what I'm supposed to do with it.

Help!

Lanrutcon

Blackpits Cave question
In a side cave there is a large green piece of stone. When I touch it nothing happens other than a brief text box. Then my MC says "Mask of the Shapeshifter, that's something I need to craft. And Fast. " I've had the mask forever but I don't understand why it applies here or what I'm supposed to do with it.

Help!

Check your crafting recipes, under armor. If it's the stone I'm thinking of you have a new named recipe there.

Blackpits Cave question

Help!

For me that was connected to Fane, try touching it with him if you have it.

Side question:

In act 2 I have numerous chests marked on my map. WHen I go to these areas I can't find a single thing. No secrets are popping, though they have before. I'm wondering if I'm bugged or these are special? I have Wits 14 on someone.

sadblob

For me that was connected to Fane, try touching it with him if you have it.

Side question:

In act 2 I have numerous chests marked on my map. WHen I go to these areas I can't find a single thing. No secrets are popping, though they have before. I'm wondering if I'm bugged or these are special? I have Wits 14 on someone.

You need more wit, I think something like 20, for that specific quest. Regardless, you should level wit in some char to find treasure and hidden switches.

Top Bottom