• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 vs. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 198 71.7%
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 78 28.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

rtjwq2V.jpg

bender

What time is it?
Shadows of Amn is easily one of my favorite games of all time, but for some reason I just can't get into modern cRPGs. I've only managed to get a few hours into Original Sin and the sequel. I voted Animal Crossing, it just came out at the right time and I've played every day since (thanks COVID). I'll turn in my nerd members club card now.

Sleepwalker

Played animal crossing for about 5 hours, beats the 40 minutes I gave divinity, so I went with AC.

Just couldn't get into the combat at all in Divinity, I wanted to like it so much but that was the deal breaker.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is the first one that is tough for me, but I gotta go with Divinity.

Imagine all the kids and non try-hards playing Divinity 2 if it launched when Covid hit. Anthem launching even then would of been a much bigger hit I'd say.

Yeah, but what I mean is that Animal Crossing absolutely NAILS the gameplay it goes for. It's the best life/farm simulation game I ever played, the gameplay loop is incredibly strong. It's just not for everyone and certainly not for every EPIC GAMER.

Chiggs

Oh, look at all the tough guys on NeoGAF voting up an inferior game over the cultural phenomena that is Animal Crossing.

This shit is as whack as The Hurt Locker beating out Avatar for Best Picture. Fuck you, Hurt Locker! You helped give birth to Hawkeye, and that shitty, unrealistic sniper scene you have is a goddamned abomination.

bender

What time is it?
Oh, look at all the tough guys on NeoGAF voting up an inferior game over the cultural phenomena that is Animal Crossing.

This shit is as whack as The Hurt Locker beating out Avatar for Best Picture. Fuck you, Hurt Locker! You helped give birth to Hawkeye, and that shitty, unrealistic sniper scene you have is a goddamned abomination.

Hurt Locker sucks, but Avatar?

giphy.gif

Except popularity.
McDonald's beats every restaurant on popularity, doesn't mean its good. Just simpletons and weirdos like a strange game where you do nothing but work in a virtual world of fake animals.

Really don't see the appeal for animal crossing. There is no dungeons, no combat, and the building looks basic. If i want a building and crafting type game, I will go play Dragon quest builders 2, Start dew valley, Terraria, No mans sky, my time in portia, harvest moon, rune factory, rimworld, prison archetecht. At least those games take some strategy, and have some excitement. Plus any game that psycho AOC plays is an instant turn off, imo (it means its a game for dumb people , if she likes it).

Chiggs

Hurt Locker sucks, but Avatar?

giphy.gif

10-4 on that, but Jeremy Renner fucking sucks, and at least Cameron isn’t putting out solo albums. Also, a lot of people that bag on Avatar now were probably blown away by it at the time.

Same goes for Titanic. All the tough guys who clowned on it probably at least recognized and appreciated the spectacle, and possibly even enjoyed it, but because they’re so tough they had to overcompensate and hide their true feelings for Jack Dawson.:messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Realistically neither game is going to win the tournament so no need to get your panties in a twist. The Sony brigade will make sure one of their games wins.

Chiggs

Should have been Inglorious Bastards. Pitt has one of the worst southern accents ever (worse than his intentionally bad Italian) and despite that, it's has so many amazing scenes with amazing performances.

That or District 9.

I_D

giphy.gif

Megatron

To Hawkeye? The Marvel character who has been around since the 1960’s?

Last edited:

Chiggs

To Hawkeye? The Marvel character who has been around since the 1960’s?

To me, it’s really about Renner. Especially his whiny bullshit in Age of Ultron. Waaah, I want to spend time more time with my wife and kids here on the farm. Avengering is too crazy! Let me live a simple life!

I'm a hardcore nintendo fanman ride or die, but I absolutely love the shit out of divinity.

I've played divinity 2 like 5 times now and I'm sure I'll play it multiple more times. Their writing isn't amazing but it's not bad... the grand plot never seems to captivate me but some of the humour stuff like the conversations you can have with animals using the petpal skill is great fun. But what makes divinity so special is the brilliant turn based combat system which is seriously like one of the best turn based combat systems I've ever played. All the crazy powers and variables like weather and objects and stuff just makes for endless fun with so many great strategic options. I love building a powerful character and overcoming giant fukken krakens and other crazy bosses. I wouldn't have a problem with Divinity winning the whole tournament, not that I would expect such a crazy outcome.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

GymWolf

I sincerely hope that this is joke post...

Divinity 2 is legit great.

I know that Animal Crossing is one of the biggest brands ever, but to me it's one of the most boring ones too. And I don't think it will be regarded as an influential game in this generation.

Wunray

I was able to spontaneously creat and enact my own heist in DoS 2 I'm talking about casing the place gathering Intel to find what I need, running destractions and sneaking in and out with detection,my jaw dropped when I was allowed to pull it off, this game is the best RPG ever made.

Chiggs

McDonald's beats every restaurant on popularity, doesn't mean its good. Just simpletons and weirdos like a strange game where you do nothing but work in a virtual world of fake animals.

The McDonald's argument would be a fair one to use, except for:
  • People flock to McDonald's in droves because of A) convenience or B) poverty.
  • Animal Crossing is outselling Divinity: Original Sin 2, despite having an equivalent/higher price tag.
Animal Crossing's ridiculous success most likely has a lot to do with people wanting to escape the crushing reality of a terrible world caught in a terrible year. It's like digital gardening, more therapy than compelling gameplay, to your point.

Not sure if the simpletons and weirdos thing would fly, as I'm sure Divinity 2 has its fair share of neckbeard losers in the fanbase.

Last edited:

luffie

Really don't see the appeal for animal crossing. There is no dungeons, no combat, and the building looks basic. If i want a building and crafting type game, I will go play Dragon quest builders 2, Start dew valley, Terraria, No mans sky, my time in portia, harvest moon, rune factory, rimworld, prison archetecht. At least those games take some strategy, and have some excitement. Plus any game that psycho AOC plays is an instant turn off, imo (it means its a game for dumb people , if she likes it).
What a loser, hating on game because some congress woman loves it.
AC is still a different game than those you mentioned, just because you don't get it doesn't mean it's McDonald's quality.

TexMex

To me, it’s really about Renner. Especially his whiny bullshit in Age of Ultron. Waaah, I want to spend time more time with my wife and kids here on the farm. Avengering is too crazy! Let me live a simple life!

Are you under the impression that he wrote the script?

jigglet

Banned
Divinity is probably the better game.

But AC has had the biggest impact. I don't know if that makes sense.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
10-4 on that, but Jeremy Renner fucking sucks, and at least Cameron isn’t putting out solo albums. Also, a lot of people that bag on Avatar now were probably blown away by it at the time.

Same goes for Titanic. All the tough guys who clowned on it probably at least recognized and appreciated the spectacle, and possibly even enjoyed it, but because they’re so tough they had to overcompensate and hide their true feelings for Jack Dawson.:messenger_loudly_crying:
Hurt Locker was wayy more exciting than Avatar. The only thing good about Avatar was the 3d and that was because it was one of the first that did it well.

I also think Titanic is great. Romance aside (there wasn't really a ton of that) it was a gripping thrill ride that had great actors and great practical effects (just a bit of CGI).

Top Bottom