• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

Neuromancer said:
Oh maybe, I don't know about the Wii. On the PS360 they come in packs.

By the way, I just noticed all the cheats for this game have dropped. There are some pretty good ones, rainbow and edge effect look neat. Hyperdeck and short deck make things more challenging.

Using ANY cheat (bar some character unlocks) disables gamesave.

Hyperspeed, none more black background, play in the bedroom are not really game advantage cheats. Freestyle fail.

mehdi_san

Getting this game here in Japan was very hard (and expensive) for me, but it was totally worth it. My favorite rhythm game of 2009 (and I played The Beatles RB and Rhythm Tengoku and loved both). The controller is excellent, even if I had to use some tape to reduce the travel length of the fader. I couldn't play any song on expert before I did that.
Someone already mentioned it I think, but the last playlists were mind-blowing. I felt like I was playing a different game! The firts 80% of the game have you be the entertainer DJ, who mixes 2 songs and places a few scratches here and there, but in the last playlists I felt like a musician. I was playing the songs !! It felt great to be honest.
Haven't gotten the time yet to try the DLCs, I am still hoping we get some kind of sale, or at least allow us to get them separately.
I also heard that DJ Hero 2 is confirmed, and that David Guetta is apparently heavily involved in it this time. I am bit worried, because as I said what I enjoyed the most is the part where I felt as a musician, creating something. I hope there will be more of that in the sequel...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Does this game still support DLC? I still haven't picked it up, but every time I check the add-ons on the PlayStation Store, the same tracks are still there. Did they just give up on the DLC to wait for DJ Hero 2?

They said they were going to wait and see how the 1st 2 DLC packs did. My guess is, not very well, so I think we'll have to wait for DJH2.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
:(

Thanks for the quick answer. I hope that when DJ Hero 2 comes out, the support will be stronger. It's a very fun game.

tacotime77

Neo Member
TheGreatDave said:
DJ has enough tracks that I never really felt the need for DLC. Hopefully DJ2 has more, but I don't think it'll ever need weekly DLC.

Yeah. I'm really into Trance, Progressive, and Hardstyle and it'd be nice to be able to have some songs on there that are missing.

Why For?

Banned
The reason the DLC hasn't done well is because they haven't given us good DLC.

DJ Hero is a great game, but it has one MAJOR flaw. MAAAAAAJOR flaw.

Too much rap/hip hop, and nowhere NEAR enough house music.

The best mash up on the whole game is Pjanoo/Shout

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Why For? said:

For their first attempt, I think they did a great job. I think they're trying to find that balance of music to use in the mixes. Just read this thread alone to see the differing opinions people have of the tracklist and what they wish for the game to have more of. It's not a single genre like the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games so people are going to have a lot of different preferences/likes/dislikes on the genres of the track list.

TheGreatDave said:
DJ has enough tracks that I never really felt the need for DLC. Hopefully DJ2 has more, but I don't think it'll ever need weekly DLC.

I'm not looking for weekly DLC releases, but DJ Hero was released at the end of October last year and so far there's only been two DLC packs.

Rewrite said:
I'm not looking for weekly DLC releases, but DJ Hero was released at the end of October last year and so far there's only been two DLC packs.

Yeah, I'm in agreement there should be more. Just not expecting the floodgates to ever open, especially given how much more time it obviously takes to make the content.

DiscoJer

Why For? said:

Yeah, it's sort of to this, what Country is to Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Basically use the same stuff (instruments and the like), but different fork in the road.

Rap/Hip Hop forked one way from disco, electronic dance music (house/techno/trance/etc) the other. And then sort of in between you have dance remixes of rock/pop songs (which is mostly what's in this).

Just bought this for the PS3 out of curiosity, cost me 50 euros so might just as well sell it if i cant get anything out of it.

Then again the future might hold some awesome techno-only sequels, im a big fan of the Beatmania series...

woodypop

Picked up the PS2 version for $25 yesterday. (thank you, Target clearance)
It's actually rather fun. I think I at least got my money's worth.

Sadly, the software's not compatible with my 80G MGS PS3, but the turntable is. Now to find a cheap copy of the PS3 software.

Jtrizzy

Just dusted of the turntable (literally) after seeing the thread. Hope the sequel comes soon.

Awesome game is still awesome. I hope they do more integrating the other GH instruments.

Considering the other GH instruments wouldn't need to change the nature of the mixes at all, I say go for it. Some songs could have crazy drums, and vocals would be nothing but a plus.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
TheGreatDave said:
Considering the other GH instruments wouldn't need to change the nature of the mixes at all, I say go for it. Some songs could have crazy drums, and vocals would be nothing but a plus.
Why am I not surprised, Dave!? :lol

Honestly, the main point of DJ Hero is the turntable and playing as the DJ. It's not about the guitar/drums part of the songs. Sure, having a guitar section would allow another person to play the game, but honestly...it was pretty pointless in DJ Hero and the fact that it takes half of the screen is awful. And vocals? Wtf. They wouldn't necessarily be a plus neither...more like extra useless features that hardly anyone is interested in playing on a DJ-focused game.

Question: did anyone get their DJ Hero stickers yet? :lol Got the game day 1 and signed up for the sticker sheet and still no damn stickers. Those DJ Hero stickers looked cool, damn shame. screw you Activision

Rewrite said:
Why am I not surprised, Dave!? :lol

Honestly, the main point of DJ Hero is the turntable and playing as the DJ. It's not about the guitar/drums part of the songs. Sure, having a guitar section would allow another person to play the game, but honestly...it was pretty pointless in DJ Hero and the fact that it takes half of the screen is awful. And vocals? Wtf. They wouldn't necessarily be a plus neither...more like extra useless features that hardly anyone is interested in playing on a DJ-focused game.

The point is adding drums and vocals would take away nothing but add something. The guitar mixes sucked, and I don't want them back. But vocals/drums? How can you object at the option?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
TheGreatDave said:
The point is adding drums and vocals would take away nothing but add something. The guitar mixes sucked, and I don't want them back. But vocals/drums? How can you object at the option?
Because again, the point of this game is to play as a DJ. You forget that vocals get that scratched like effect too or fast repetition of certain verses...which would be horrible to sing. I don't think anyone picking up DJ Hero or potentially interested customers would be saying stuff like, "Hey, you can sing and play drums..cool!"

Rewrite said:
Because again, the point of this game is to play as a DJ. You forget that vocals get that scratched like effect too or fast repetition of certain verses...which would be horrible to sing. I don't think anyone picking up DJ Hero or potentially interested customers would be saying stuff like, "Hey, you can sing and play drums..cool!"

And again, why would it matter if the option is there? Nobody bought PGR to play Geometry Wars!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
TheGreatDave said:
And again, why would it matter if the option is there? Nobody bought PGR to play Geometry Wars!
Because it is unnecessary.

And hey, the reason why I play World of Warcraft is for Bejeweled and Peggle thank you very much.

I've never played WoW and never will.

woodypop said:
Picked up the PS2 version for $25 yesterday. (thank you, Target clearance)
It's actually rather fun. I think I at least got my money's worth.

Sadly, the software's not compatible with my 80G MGS PS3, but the turntable is. Now to find a cheap copy of the PS3 software.

$25? Ouch. ATVI's reserve account is sure going to take a hit if they shipped a lot of those out there.

Edit: And I'm sure there will be lots of cheap Tony Hawk Ride boards available soon.

"Not needed" doesn't mean "shouldn't be done". They didn't need to add a drum trainer to Rock Band, cos it's all about playing along with the music, maaaaaaaannnnnnnnn.

Tonza

Finally bought this since the renegade edition was on sale for 70 euros. (the msrp is 200 according to the store. :lol )

I was sceptic if I'd like a music game anymore since I got pretty bored of Guitar Hero with only owning GH3. But this game is really good. Haven't played much yet but the game is just fun.

woodypop

speculawyer said:
$25? Ouch. ATVI's reserve account is sure going to take a hit if they shipped a lot of those out there.
Yeah, there were three price stickers on top of one another, each one further reducing the original price. The first one knocked off 30%, the second knocked off 50%, and the third reduced it by 75%. I'm kind of surprised no one bit before I did, but I couldn't pass it up at 75% off.

theRizzle

I live in a remote, fly-in community in the arctic, and I was at the store this week looking at some of the "new" video game stuff that just came in. Now keep in mind, things are generally insanely overpriced here anyways, but when I saw this on the shelf, I nearly fainted.

DJ Hero Renegade Edition: $349.99

theRizzle said:
I live in a remote, fly-in community in the arctic, and I was at the store this week looking at some of the "new" video game stuff that just came in. Now keep in mind, things are generally insanely overpriced here anyways, but when I saw this on the shelf, I nearly fainted.

DJ Hero Renegade Edition: $349.99
Holy shit! :lol

Just started playing this again. Still insanely fun. Just knocked out the 5-star all hard songs trophy, and I've only got three songs left for the expert. This shit needs some DLC.

Yeah I need to go back to it. Used to be my late night Saturday night chillout go-to game.

Sadly I think there will be no more DLC forthcoming.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I was going to buy this at Fry's Electronics this past Saturday since it was selling for $40 on PS3, but as I was approaching the gaming stand another person took the last bundle of the game. :mad: Screw that jerk for beating me!

Konosuke said:
I like this game, but not enough to buy it at 100€. The prices didn't drop yet : \

Amazon.de!

Wii:
Renegade 59€
normal 39€
360:
Renegade 69€
normal 49€
PS3:
Renegade 79€
normal 102€ :lol

I was hoping this game would be cheaper by now.

PS2 DJ Hero Bundle with Turntable by Activision Inc. (Video Game - Oct. 27, 2009) (PlayStation2)
Buy new: $69.96

Not good enough. I also need confirmation that a future installment will work on PS2 before purchasing.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Haha, I was beaten in posting the latest DLC news!

I can't wait to listen to these mixes. I hope they are good since they are pricey.

DrAndonuts said:
New DLC coming on the 18th. I don't like Eminem or Jay-Z, but I'll take what I can get.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1076156p1.html

Tracks:
"Shake That" by Eminem mixed With "Show Me What You Got" by Jay-Z
"Without Me" by Eminem mixed With "Encore" by Jay-Z
"Can I Get A…" by Jay-Z mixed With "Lose Yourself" by Eminem

ugh...I don't like it, probably won't play it, but will hold my nose any buy anyway to encourage future DLC

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Rewrite said:
Haha, I was beaten in posting the latest DLC news!

I can't wait to listen to these mixes. I hope they are good since they are pricey.
Likewise.

Apologies to those wanting more house/electronica stuff, but give me more hip-hop/R&B stuff damnit!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I think you guys are being too quick to judge. Wait until they're released and watch some of the videos to see if they're fun to play.

XiaNaphryz said:
Apologies to those wanting more house/electronica stuff, but give me more hip-hop/R&B stuff damnit!
DJ Hero 2!

Top Bottom