• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

bryehn

Mix was OK at best considering the source tracks and I heard some weird clipping while going into a few knob sections. Kinda sloppy.

Really hope we get to see the new decks today once DJH2 is formally announced.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
That's really cool.

Here's the PR to DJ Hero 2:

Activision PR said:
SANTA MONICA, CA – June 8, 2010 – This fall, living rooms will transform into nightclubs letting budding beat chemists, singing sensations and all of their friends party together by firing up two turntable controllers and a microphone to experience their favorite music as they’ve never heard it before in Activision Publishing Inc.’s (Nasdaq: ATVI) DJ Hero® 2 – the follow-up to the #1 new videogame intellectual property of 2009, DJ Hero®. Picking up where the award-winning DJ Hero soundtrack left off, DJ Hero 2 spins together the hottest tracks blazing up the charts and legendary club anthems from the biggest artists in pop, dance and hip hop including Dr. Dre, The Chemical Brothers, Kanye West, Metallica, Lady Gaga, Rihanna and over 85 others. Fueling the party will be a host of all-new social multiplayer game modes and innovative freestyle gameplay giving virtual DJ’s the ability to crossfade, scratch and sample in over 70 speaker-blowing mashups from the hottest DJ’s and Producers around the world, including Deadmau5 – part of dance music’s elite – who will be starring as an in-game playable character.

To celebrate the announcement, DJ Hero owners and all of their friends will have the opportunity to download, spin, scratch and battle a mix from DJ Hero 2 as downloadable content. The mix features the sultry sounds of Lady Gaga’s “Just Dance” Mixed With the blistering beats of Deadmau5’s “Ghosts ‘n’ Stuff.” The mix will be available for free from June 8-14 on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION®Store for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

“DJ Hero was the best music game of 2009 and with DJ Hero 2 we’re delivering a new easy to pick-up, challenging-to-master experience that all players can enjoy together,” said David Haddad, Chief Operating Office, Guitar Hero. “With new social game modes, the inclusion of full microphone support, all-new levels of creative freedom and an amazing soundtrack, DJ Hero 2 is the ultimate mixer of music and friends.”

“We’re improving upon all the gameplay elements from DJ Hero that gamers loved with the all-new freestyle gameplay and a host of new multiplayer game modes,” said Jamie Jackson, Creative Director, FreeStyleGames. “But we’re not stopping there either as the award-winning soundtrack is getting bigger songs from hotter artists that our talented crew of DJ’s is spinning into hits that fit the gameplay flawlessly.”

DJ Hero 2 will deliver the ultimate way for players to come together and party with a host of new multiplayer modes – including DJ Battles that pit DJ against DJ in mixes produced specifically for battle gameplay – and invite vocalists into the spotlight with integrated on-screen singing and rapping of lyrics and rhymes while bringing the party to life with jump-in/jump-out Party Play gameplay. Featuring the biggest dance, pop and hip-hop hits by the hottest artists everyone knows and loves remixed by world-class DJ’s in an all-new way, the game’s soundtrack delivers over 70 unique creations only available in DJ Hero 2. Further immersing players into the music, the game offers a heightened level of creative input and allows everyone to add their own touch, directly impacting the beats they’re spinning with freestyle scratching, crossfading and sampling. The game will also feature an all-new career-based Empire Mode where players start out as an up-and-coming DJ on the road to becoming the head of a major entertainment empire, all of which is founded solely on their success as a DJ.

Dropping this fall, DJ Hero 2 will invite a wave of new digital disc jockeys to the turntables as the game will be available as a Party Bundle which will include a copy of the game, two turntable controllers and a microphone, offering the ultimate “party-in-a-box.” Gamers who experienced the #1 new videogame intellectual property of 2009 can pick up DJ Hero 2 as a Turntable Bundle featuring one turntable controller and a copy of the game or as standalone software. The game is in development by FreeStyleGames for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PLAYSTATION®3 and the Wii™ system from Nintendo. The game is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information about DJ Hero 2, please visit www.djhero.com, facebook.com/djhero and twitter.com/djhero.
Looks like rock mixes are back again. :'(

And Dave, if you ever come back to read this thread: Fuck you. They did include vocal support. Stop giving ideas to Bobby!

btkadams

Rewrite said:
That's really cool.

Here's the PR to DJ Hero 2:

Looks like rock mixes are back again. :'(

And Dave, if you ever come back to read this thread: Fuck you. They did include vocal support. Stop giving ideas to Bobby!
fuck i cant believe they're keeping the rock shit in...

it seems like they might be putting more dancey stuff in though so i have hope.

thundr51

Just curious, After playing with the new dlc I went back to finishing up getting my 5*'s and I noticed that my green button wasn't working as well anymore. I'm thinking it may be my batteries but it seems weird that this thing would start breaking after only a weekend of use. Has anyone else heard of this happening. Also, my buttons on on the out (right) side of the platter where the green button is the last. Is it better to use the default controls?

btkadams

a bunch of people are having meltdowns over deadmau5 being in the game as a playable character.

the reason is that he actually isn't a dj. he doesn't know how to use turntables and probably never will. he uses ableton live and a controller to do live shows. deadmau5 has also had a history of proclaiming that he is not a dj, and doesn't try to be.

i can see how fans can find this contradicting and think he's selling out... but like the game is about scratch djing in the first place. daft punk are dj's (well not lately) and they sure as fuck don't scratch or mix like the game shows them doing. it's a fucking game, it really doesn't matter.

btkadams said:
a bunch of people are having meltdowns over deadmau5 being in the game as a playable character.

the reason is that he actually isn't a dj. he doesn't know how to use turntables and probably never will. he uses ableton live and a controller to do live shows. deadmau5 has also had a history of proclaiming that he is not a dj, and doesn't try to be.

i can see how fans can find this contradicting and think he's selling out... but like the game is about scratch djing in the first place. daft punk are dj's (well not lately) and they sure as fuck don't scratch or mix like the game shows them doing. it's a fucking game, it really doesn't matter.

Is he constructing the mixes in the game? If he is, I don't see the problem.

btkadams

TheGreatDave said:
Is he constructing the mixes in the game? If he is, I don't see the problem.
i don't think any of the names in the dj hero games make the stuff. i was pretty certain they have djs on the dev team that do the mash-ups. i seriously doubt daft punk and deadmau5 know how to make scratch remixes.

btkadams said:
i don't think any of the names in the dj hero games make the stuff. i was pretty certain they have djs on the dev team that do the mash-ups. i seriously doubt daft punk and deadmau5 know how to make scratch remixes.

I thought that was the whole point last time around? The DJ Yoda stuff definitely sounded like something he'd could have made.

*edit* "along with the digital alter egos and mirrors will be 11 exclusive mashups and two “megamixes” Daft Punk contributed specifically for the game."

Argyle

btkadams said:
Some of the tracks were mixed by the actual DJs in the last game. You could tell because it gave them credit for doing so on the selection screen IIRC. Most (if not all) of the Daft Punk stuff was mixed by the dev team (credited as "FSG" if I am not mistaken) though.

2mg1g5y.jpg

GOTY.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
cant find the free dlc on eu store. this sucks donkey dick :(

i bought all your fucking dlc acti

edit: well i look like an ass now, its up all of a sudden

thumbs up acti xD

Finally got around to playing the Lady Gaga/Deadmau5 track. I thought it was awesome, amazing Activision gave it out for free.

One of my hopes for the sequel is that DLC tracks are sold separately, Activision really screwed the pooch in making them only available in expensive bundles with DJH1.

fernoca said:
The Free DLC is not on the Wii version..right? :(
I don't want to turn on everything, just to see that is not..
Well when I go to the official site and click the link it brings me to the Xbox Live Marketplace, so it's not looking good for the Wii I'm afraid.

fernoca

Oh that's it..I'm so boycotting Activision now!!.....well, after I buy DJ Hero 2, Warriors of Rock and Black Ops...that'll show them!!
:p

fernoca said:
Oh that's it..I'm so boycotting Activision now!!.....well, after I buy DJ Hero 2, Warriors of Rock and Black Ops...that'll show them!!
:p
Yeah sorry bud, here's confirmation

Activision has also released a new mix as free downloadable content for the first game in the series. The track, available from June 8 through 14 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and it mashes Lady Gaga's "Just Dance" with the Deadmau5 tune "Ghosts ‘n' Stuff."

Well I think it'll be in DJ Hero 2 too so if you're getting that, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm pretty hyped for DJ Hero 3DS now, after reading some impressions online. Apparently, it's fun + the 3D effect is the most impressive of the playable demos.

DrAndonuts said:
I'm pretty hyped for DJ Hero 3DS now, after reading some impressions online. Apparently, it's fun + the 3D effect is the most impressive of the playable demos.
Is the music any different though? I think if it had the same tracks as DJ Hero 1/2, that'd be a bummer.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Neuromancer said:
Is the music any different though? I think if it had the same tracks as DJ Hero 1/2, that'd be a bummer.
I saw footage of it, but I didn't hear any of the music unfortunately. It looks okay and fun.

btkadams

DrAndonuts said:
i dont understand how 3d could really make dj hero a better game on a system. it's like the ONE type of game where you're not looking at the graphics at all. you're just looking at the notes to hit.

btkadams said:
i dont understand how 3d could really make dj hero a better game on a system. it's like the ONE type of game where you're not looking at the graphics at all. you're just looking at the notes to hit.
I always kind of keep an eye on whats going on up above the track. Besides the note track itself is supposed to be 3D which could be cool.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
btkadams said:
You can't see the background when you're playing the game? That's weird *. I guess I'm just used to playing music games that I can focus on the note track and the background. I play Expert guitar for Rock Band and I can still focus on what's happening on the background. Time to multitask those eyes, duder! :)

*It's not really weird since every single one of my friends who don't regularly play music games say the same thing. I can't even talk to them while they're playing because they lose focus and miss notes. :lol

btkadams

Rewrite said:
You can't see the background when you're playing the game? That's weird *. I guess I'm just used to playing music games that I can focus on the note track and the background. I play Expert guitar for Rock Band and I can still focus on what's happening on the background. Time to multitask those eyes, duder! :)

*It's not really weird since every single one of my friends who don't regularly play music games say the same thing. I can't even talk to them while they're playing because they lose focus and miss notes. :lol
expert guitar for rock band was easy. i played expert drums fooo. i've always been into music games, but i still have never been interested in the background stuff. rock band/guitar hero/blahblahblah always seemed boring shit happening behind the notes. now AMPLITUDE had some cool trippy shit to look at.

Firehead

Got this on-sale at Walmart the other day. Really, surprisingly fun. It tastes kinda like Amplitude/Frequency with a turntable, so that's really great.

Would there be any point in buying the DJ Hero 2 bundle when released? Like, any upgrades from the original turntable and such?

Firehead said:
Got this on-sale at Walmart the other day. Really, surprisingly fun. It tastes kinda like Amplitude/Frequency with a turntable, so that's really great.

Would there be any point in buying the DJ Hero 2 bundle when released? Like, any upgrades from the original turntable and such?
Didn't sound like it, to me.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Marty Chinn said:
FYI, Best Buy has turntables for $20 today. I just ordered one with in store pick up.
I was about to come and post this! You beat me to it. :)

Here are the links in case anyone is interested:

Xbox 360
PS3
Wii

Great deal if you ask me!

jergrah

Fred Meyers has the DJ Hero bundles going for $40 currently.
Only in store though, as their online ordering is pretty limited. I picked up a copy tonight, figured that price was too good to pass up.

Apparently the "Dance Party Mix Pack" is out today
"Dance Party Mix Pack" (640 Microsoft Points / $7.99 on PSN):

Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" mixed with "Girls On Film" by Duran Duran (300 Wii Points)
Pussycat Dolls' "Buttons" beat juggle (300 Wii Points)
Rihanna's "S.O.S." beat juggle (300 Wii Points)
Don't see myself picking it up but if anyone does, let us know how it is.

EYEL1NER

Neuromancer said:
Apparently the "Dance Party Mix Pack" is out today
Don't see myself picking it up but if anyone does, let us know how it is.
Damn...I wish so bad that I could get individual tracks instead of packs. Gaga and Rhianna will be mine. Pussycat Dolls? Ughhhh.

woodypop

EYEL1NER said:
Damn...I wish so bad that I could get individual tracks instead of packs. Gaga and Rhianna will be mine. Pussycat Dolls? Ughhhh.
Nuts, I just realized that. I only want the Gaga/Duran track. =/

New pack is awesome. Girls on Film vs Pokerface is awesome. This game is still awesome.

I'm number 1 on the leaderboards for the pack on PS3. I expect that to change in T-minus 1 hour.

Top Bottom