• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DK Tropical Freeze Pricetag

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Accessibility mean nothing to you?
It depends what you mean by accessibility and about which game exactly you're talking, plus it's not only about accessibility we're talking about here, they gave to a legitamentaly good game 6/10 (Wii U) and them a 9/10 (Swith version with "Funky" mode). I mean, they might as well give all relatevily hard and not simple games low scores now and only when publishers re-release the game for a third time (and for a full prioce) give it 8 or 9 cuz the game is a lot more accessable to the point which you can literally fly through all of the levels and finish the game. It's fuckin' stupid and downright unfair, so fuck Gamespot.

Last edited:

bosnianpie

It's interesting to see how people defend this, almost like they work at Nintendo and expect a slice of the pie with this ridiculous price point. Be smart, vote with your wallets and don't bend over to greed just because a beloved character like DK is on the box. Let them know that they can't charge whatever they want and we will all benefit from a more consumer friendly industry.

Thing is, the game actually is a masterpiece. The only bad thing about it is that now it has Funky Kong in it.

If the price was discounted, you would do well to pay extra for the Funky Kong free WiiU version.

theclaw135

Banned
But wait, how about a new "Funky" mode which suddenly (and without a warning) made a "middle of the road game" (according to Gamespot) into an almost a masterpiece awarded with 9!

Make Zelda 2 beatable for me, I might be inclined to raise my opinion that much. Few games in Nintendo's catalog beg for this sort of mode more than it.

wipeout364

Nintendo pricing policies is why they are always my third system, the one I buy last and the one I buy the least on. I would never support them as my primary system they overcharge and have been this way since the N64.
I still haven’t got a switch but have 2 xboxes (x and s) and 2 PS4 systems (regular and pro).

BjCkl.jpg

drotahorror

People gonna hate me, but this thread convinced me to just sell my Switch. Doesn't help the fact that it's sat here for months without play. I bought Bayo 2 and Tropical freeze on the Wii U but never bothered to play either much. I had since sold my Wii U, and was happy they were announced for Switch so I could buy them again. But I would be a fool to buy them for $60 again when I didn't play them initially on the U. Knowing Nintendo I wouldn't get to play them for a decent price until atleast 2 or 3 years after their release.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Nintendo pricing policies is why they are always my third system, the one I buy last and the one I buy the least on. I would never support them as my primary system they overcharge and have been this way since the N64.
I still haven’t got a switch but have 2 xboxes (x and s) and 2 PS4 systems (regular and pro).

Well price drops are most effective on "mid tier" games. Games that keep selling year over year don't need it. While a wasted effort for junk.

In the case of TF, the price is steep yet I'm not seeing an argument against it strong enough to change Nintendo's mind. Switch owners who never bought a Wii U are unlikely to buy a Wii U now, just for the purpose of saving money on one game.

grim-tales

I never bought a Wii U (and no Switch yet but may get one) but it sounds like all they did for this remaster was add Funky Kong and an "easy" mode.
That said buying a Wii U (for saving on 1 game) seems pointless.

Vawn

Banned
Well price drops are most effective on "mid tier" games. Games that keep selling year over year don't need it. While a wasted effort for junk.

In the case of TF, the price is steep yet I'm not seeing an argument against it strong enough to change Nintendo's mind. Switch owners who never bought a Wii U are unlikely to buy a Wii U now, just for the purpose of saving money on one game.

Yeah, I'm not buying this. There are plenty of games much better (yes, I have played and own it) and higher acclaimed than DK Tropical Freeze that sell at much lower prices.

Something being more expensive does not mean it's better.

Last edited:

B_Signal

Effective for things that have been out a while too tbf

essentially if people think TF is worth it at this price they'll pay it, I don't doubt plenty of Switch owners will buy it and we'll see it in the charts. There does seem to be a lot of people in here and elsewhere who aren't picking it up absolutely because of the price

I still really want this game but I'm going to beat Xenoblade first, I'll need an RPG palate cleanser before Octopath traveler.

I'm considering this(I owned it on WiiU but never got far because it was very hard for me.
My other choice is Telltale games Batman. Anyone have opinions on that one?

Switch owners who never bought a Wii U are unlikely to buy a Wii U now, just for the purpose of saving money on one game.
And yet Nintendo removed the game from the Wii U eshop. They apparently think the cheaper version of the same game minus Funky is enough of a threat to preempt possible digital sales.

deathsaber

The pricing is only really a problem if you had it on wii U and also want it on Switch. The thing is, there really isn't too many of those people, since most will probably be first time buyers, and buying this is still way cheaper than buying a Wii U and a copy of Donkey Kong. And a lot of these Wii U people are Nintendo's biggest, most dedicated fans, so a lot will double dip anyway. Some might be a little annoyed at the price, but they can always keep their Wii U copy and keep playing it if they choose.

Nintendo is 100% justified in selling this full price, as its been fully demonstarated now a few times , that they will pretty much outsell the Wii U version of pretty much anything they bring over to Switch. And because Wii U sold so little, all of its software only sold a tiny fraction of its total potential, so its just smart business.

Hoping for Mario 3D world to come over soon (as its the perfect game to hand out some joycons, and have some co-op fun)

jadedm17

It's interesting to see how people defend this, almost like they work at Nintendo and expect a slice of the pie with this ridiculous price point. Be smart, vote with your wallets and don't bend over to greed just because a beloved character like DK is on the box. Let them know that they can't charge whatever they want and we will all benefit from a more consumer friendly industry.

I barely touched my WiiU version I bought shortly before selling my WiiU... I've been waiting months for this gem. It may not be worth it to you but I will be voting for more WiiU-to-Swith games by buying this tomorrow.

Fbh

Guys...no one is arguing that Nintendo doesnt have a right to sell the game for that price nor are we arguing that it won't sell. As this thread has proven, plenty of Nintendo fans not only think that selling a 4 years old port for $60 is fine, they actually think it's a good idea.
You sell to your audience and Nintendo knows that theirs will buy this game at full price in the same way that Apple knows they can take out as many ports as possible from their devices and sell overpriced adapters and people will buy them and defend them.

But that's not some magic shield that protects them from criticism. Just because something makes business sense doesn't mean it should be praised. Just because Sony not wanting cross play makes business sense doesn't mean I won't criticize them, just because killing net neutrality makes business sense for ISP's doesn't mean I won't oppose it

The trick I've been doing for free Nintendo games is I have a ton of old smart phones I get for free or under $10 load them up with Ad paying lock screens cash them out for Amazon gift cards and some of that money I buy Nintendo gift cards on Amazon. I've gotten all my switch games that way
I just posted a ton of digital gift cards to Amazon totalling close to $200 and they put my account on verification after ordering 2 $50 Nintendo e shop cards.

I called they said its going to take a few days.
They won't explain why the cards weren't emailed or I can't place anymore orders.

Amazon be pissing me off

theclaw135

Banned
Guys...no one is arguing that Nintendo doesnt have a right to sell the game for that price nor are we arguing that it won't sell. As this thread has proven, plenty of Nintendo fans not only think that selling a 4 years old port for $60 is fine, they actually think it's a good idea.
You sell to your audience and Nintendo knows that theirs will buy this game at full price in the same way that Apple knows they can take out as many ports as possible from their devices and sell overpriced adapters and people will buy them and defend them.

But that's not some magic shield that protects them from criticism. Just because something makes business sense doesn't mean it should be praised. Just because Sony not wanting cross play makes business sense doesn't mean I won't criticize them, just because killing net neutrality makes business sense for ISP's doesn't mean I won't oppose it

The thing is, the game is new from the viewpoint of Switch owners that did not have a Wii U. For them whether it's a port is irrelevant.
We should be asking if the game on its own merits is worth $60.

Last edited:
The game hasn’t been removed from the eShop.
Thanks for clarification. While it doesn't matter to me that seemed like bullshit to pull were it true.

I'll eventually get another WiiU for EShop Xenoblade Chronicles 1. Unless that gets ported within the next 2 years.
It would be cool if they could visually enhance it too. I would kinda want to try X again as well now that I learned how things work with the better tutorial XBC2 gave me

ya, they are screwing us and not producing enough OG content, just re hash and I already played all the great games on Wii U. I refuse to repurchase Mario Kart and 3 additional controllers that are functionally the same as the 3 PRO controllers I already purchased for Wii U

Switch gets praise it does not deserve. There are 2 great games on the system and it's all overpriced. I am a big Nintendo fanboy, even buy their company stock, so maybe these practices are good for me as an investor but as a gamer I haven't turned on my Switch since last year when Mario was out.

Just to add, if I was new to Nintendo and did not own a Wii U previously, Tropical Freeze is worth the $70 price tag, it is without a doubt the best DKC game ever made. The soundtrack alone is insane.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
as shitty as this may sound.
DONT BUY IT.

i as hell won't and fyi the game is flawed the difficulty level is all over the place.
and def NOT a classic nintendo game whatever nintendo fanboys tell here.

The thing is, the game is new from the viewpoint of Switch owners that did not have a Wii U. For them whether it's a port is irrelevant.
The problem with this argument is that for every port/remaster there will be someone that the game will be new for, regardless of how much it sold previously, or the install base of the former platforms. Not like the Vita did much better than Wii U, yet Gravity Rush Remastered wasn't 60$, and that game damn sure had more put into it than this port. Not to mention Nintendo are only charging 40$ for Captain Toad as well, which also has more put into it than this.

The second problem is that the game was never a 60$ game even on Wii U. So even for people it's new for, they're still being charged more.

I never bought a Wii U (and no Switch yet but may get one) but it sounds like all they did for this remaster was add Funky Kong and an "easy" mode.
That said buying a Wii U (for saving on 1 game) seems pointless.
Funky Kong and easy mode are the same thing actually.

grim-tales

"Funky Kong and easy mode are the same thing actually"

My mistake, sorry :) (Messed up quoting too).

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I barely touched my WiiU version I bought shortly before selling my WiiU... I've been waiting months for this gem. It may not be worth it to you but I will be voting for more WiiU-to-Swith games by buying this tomorrow.

I find it funny how many people bought this on Wii U and have so many excuses as to why they couldn't be bothered to actually play through it, yet are chomping at the bit to pay $60 to buy it again. Like it will magically be a better experience if you pay more cash for it.

Fbh

Every port is new to someone.

Vanquish and Bayonetta were new to PC only gamers of which there are many. Wasn't $60.
God of war 3 remastered was new to everyone who didn't own a PS3. Wasnt't $60

The Nathan Drake collection launched for $60 but included 3 whole games. According to some of the logic going around this thread Sony should have charged $180 for it and it would have been a totally valid and great price.

Last edited:

Chessr

It is not the price that is wrong here. Or with other 60 dollar ports or Nintendo games. It is because so many consumers is getting so used to hugh discounts and sales that they value games less and less. I am pretty sure that every dev and publisher would rather sell their games for 60 dollars for a year than only maybe a month and then discount. But like i said consumers is too used to discounts that most just wait a bit because it goes in sale shortly after release. Unless it is Nintendo. For the devs sake sales should not come as quickly they do today

Last edited:

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
For the devs sake sales should not come as quickly they do today
Game publishers are making massive profits. Let's not pretend they need more money to keep healthy.

I think the current system is in place because it works. God of War just sold a boat load of copies in just the first day. All those people were happy to pay (close to) 60 bones for it. In the future, those with less money to spend may consider purchasing the game as well when prices come down. It's a win for everyone. The publisher gets the maximum amount of profit from all types of consumers, the consumer has options and games are becoming more and more accessible for everyone. What's the downside again?

I also think a lot of people are happy to pay again for the same game, as long as it's perceived a a good deal. People were happy with MK8D and Bayonetta on Switch. Skyrim has been rereleased on many platforms and even received a remaster, and time and time again people are willing to fork over money for it. DKC Tropical Freeze just doesn't seem like a very good deal here. Some very minor adjustments and additions, and a higher price tag that many can't justify for themselves. I think that's fair.

what nintendo could do is offer discounts for wii u owners who originally own the game like on pc and Microsoft(I think) for future ports. I doubt nintendo is that generous though.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
have to say nobody batted an eyelid when GTA5 was resold this gen at full price and is still selling, we are our own worst enemy here as we will rebut the same games again and again at full price. Nintendo art doing anything any other company does to be fair to them

have to say nobody batted an eyelid when GTA5 was resold this gen at full price and is still selling, we are our own worst enemy here as we will rebut the same games again and again at full price. Nintendo art doing anything any other company does to be fair to them
A port of a 1 year old 60$ game is totally the same as a port of a 4 year old 20$ game......

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job

GTA is the only example I can think of other than Nintendo that does this though. Most prices are lowered over time...Nintendo is an outlier in this regard. Wii U never dropped in price either even though sales were low.

The reality is Nintendo has 20-30 year old franchises that are continually re-hashed, remastered, ported or available to be re-bought in VC.

Don't get me wrong I like Nintendo, but they get away with murder when it comes to their output and what they charge for it.

theclaw135

Banned
GTA is the only example I can think of other than Nintendo that does this though. Most prices are lowered over time...Nintendo is an outlier in this regard. Wii U never dropped in price either even though sales were low.

The reality is Nintendo has 20-30 year old franchises that are continually re-hashed, remastered, ported or available to be re-bought in VC.

Don't get me wrong I like Nintendo, but they get away with murder when it comes to their output and what they charge for it.

Isn't GTA selling fine enough at full price?

Several Wii games weren't lowered by Nintendo. Mario Kart, Mario Party 8, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn... I think Excite Truck too, probably forgetting something.
Even the oft-criticized Metroid Other M never (officially) went below 50 during its original print run. (although it's 20 digitally).

Sony tried similar stuff a few times. Lair, Heavenly Sword, and Folklore stayed $60.

Last edited:

Fbh

A port of a 1 year old 60$ game is totally the same as a port of a 4 year old 20$ game......

Not to mention that the first person mode alone had more work put into it than the borderline straight port of Tropical Freeze

They made interiors for all cars, had hundreds of new first person animations. A massive graphical upgrade , new weapons and vehicles, the online mode was boosted from 16 players to 30, etc

I still found it overpriced and didn't get it. But it had a better justification to be $60 than tropical freeze.

Vawn

Banned

GTA V was still new and cost $60 on PS360. It came out at the same price and looked significantly upgrades.

TF came out 4 years earlier at $50 and is $19.88 from Nintendo at the time of the Switch's $60 release.

theclaw135

Banned
Not to mention that the first person mode alone had more work put into it than the borderline straight port of Tropical Freeze

They made interiors for all cars, had hundreds of new first person animations. A massive graphical upgrade , new weapons and vehicles, the online mode was boosted from 16 players to 30, etc

I still found it overpriced and didn't get it. But it had a better justification to be $60 than tropical freeze.

Yeah, that's fair. Disapproval out of principal makes sense.
The price and new features of tropical freeze quite obviously were made with little intent to invite previous players. Odds are Nintendo concluded $60 was better for business, than the goodwill risk they take from upsetting Wii U owners.

Myself I didn't enjoy the Wii U version. So it'd take more than a price cut to raise my interest.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Not to mention, GTA5 was significantly improved on PS4 and even added a first person view, re-done car interiors and locations for the new view, ect.

This is a straight port with pretend advancements.

Codes 208

The nintendo defense force scares me sometimes...youre putting too much faith in this "nintendo knows best" and "other companies have done this" mentality despite that this game launched cheaper on the wii u and was taken off almost conviently to prevent you from buying the cheaper version this game.

People are just letting themselves get screwed over here.

So no. I dont think full msrp is worth the asking price. I dont give 2 shits that its dk. For this price you can buy several other great side scrollers on various platforms like ori, guacamelee, cuphead or shovel knight.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
So no. I dont think full msrp is worth the asking price. I dont give 2 shits that its dk. For this price you can buy several other great side scrollers on various platforms like ori, guacamelee, cuphead or shovel knight.

I've played all 5 of those games and DKTF is the weakest on that list.

To be fair, I didn't finish DKTF while I did beat those other four. But, that in of itself, is telling.

Last edited:

camelCase

People just don't care. They're the apple of gaming because it doesn't matter what they charge. People are willing to suck it down happily, go read other forums. I bet some are glad to pay that extra 10 dollar premium just to reward Nintendo for doing such a damn fine job.

Fbh

It is not the price that is wrong here. Or with other 60 dollar ports or Nintendo games. It is because so many consumers is getting so used to hugh discounts and sales that they value games less and less. I am pretty sure that every dev and publisher would rather sell their games for 60 dollars for a year than only maybe a month and then discount. But like i said consumers is too used to discounts that most just wait a bit because it goes in sale shortly after release. Unless it is Nintendo. For the devs sake sales should not come as quickly they do today

Dragon Ball Fighterz: Fastest selling Dragonball game ever
Monster Hunter World: Best selling game in Capcom history
God of War: 3 Million in 3 days, fastest selling Ps4 exclusive to date
Horizon: Best selling new exclusive IP on Ps4
CODWW2: Best selling COD title this gen
Persona 5: Highest sales in franchise history
Far Cry 5: Biggest launch in franchise history, second biggest launch in Ubisoft History
Final Fantasy XV: Biggest launch in franchise history.
Etc

Somehow I get the feeling the rest of the industry is doing fine despite us evil sale-hungry consumers.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Dragon Ball Fighterz: Fastest selling Dragonball game ever
Monster Hunter World: Best selling game in Capcom history
God of War: 3 Million in 3 days, fastest selling Ps4 exclusive to date
Horizon: Best selling new exclusive IP on Ps4
CODWW2: Best selling COD title this gen
Persona 5: Highest sales in franchise history
Far Cry 5: Biggest launch in franchise history, second biggest launch in Ubisoft History
Final Fantasy XV: Biggest launch in franchise history.
Etc

Somehow I get the feeling the rest of the industry is doing fine despite us evil sale-hungry consumers.
You are also quoting AAAA IP’s with huge expectations and many years of fan following. If your idea of a healthy industry is 3-4 mega publishers in the world then maybe it is all fine ;).

Seriously, perceived value of games thanks also very much to mobile games on Android and iOS which did kickstart a race to the bottom (try to sell full games for $19-39 on the App Store and see the reaction...), have IMHO impacted the value many people see games being worth.

theclaw135

Banned
Conditioning people to think paying more bit by bit saves them money is icing on the cake.

At a basic level, Android and iOS have nothing on consoles. Touch screens are garbage for AAAA gaming.

ar0s

No game on console costs thousands and thousands either, almost all do for solely the core content on mobile. i.e. Fifa has career mode on console and you can certainly play and build an excellent team on UT without spending a penny - Simpsons Tapped Out etc. is a classic *waiting game* with zero gameplay. The enjoyment in that is literally either I got one over on the system by wasting days of your life waiting or the buzz when you finish a build early by spending real cash.

Mobile gaming is absolutely disgusting and AFAIK even non-gamers understand console gaming is a lot better than mobile gaming.

Last edited:

ar0s

The nintendo defense force scares me sometimes...youre putting too much faith in this "nintendo knows best" and "other companies have done this" mentality despite that this game launched cheaper on the wii u and was taken off almost conviently to prevent you from buying the cheaper version this game.
It's back up isn't it? Why do people keep repeating this nonsense?

Noone is going to buy a Wii U to save a few quid on DKTF. That would be absolutely moronic considering it would run you at least 3x the cost of the new version in total.

The Wii U is a piece of garbage, if anyone buys one to save £20 (after laying out £120 for the system of course!) then more fool them.

Last edited:
It's ingenious of them. Sell it for $80, $100 if they can, good for them. If you're retarded enough to buy a 4 year old game for that much, suck it - they wouldn't do it if they couldn't. If no one bought it, they would lower the price,but you keep buying them because... who the fuck knows? 180 extra P or some shit?

ar0s

GTA V was still new and cost $60 on PS360. It came out at the same price and looked significantly upgrades.

TF came out 4 years earlier at $50 and is $19.88 from Nintendo at the time of the Switch's $60 release.

No. I had picked it up for £20 about 9 months before the PS4 launch. You guys forget how quickly software lost value in the last gen, even big games.

They may have raised the price on the old systems when the PS4 version came out but a long time before that it was at bargain basement prices.

Top Bottom