• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DKC2 vs. Tropical Freeze: Which one is the better David Wise soundtrack?

daTRUballin

So I was thinking about this last night as I was listening to the Tropical Freeze soundtrack. These two are usually considered to be the best of David Wise's work, especially DKC2. I'll admit that I'm not as familiar with TF's soundtrack as much as I am with DKC2. One of these days I'm gonna have to listen to the TF soundtrack in its entirety. Or at least the major songs.

DKC2 was widely considered to be his best work before Tropical Freeze was a thing. And then when Tropical Freeze came out, the soundtrack was considered amazing as well, but I'm not sure if it's considered better than DKC2's? The songs that I've heard from TF so far are pretty great. But there's one track in particular that I think is awesome. The remix of Stickerbrush Symphony is just amazing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V_yvFbHWjSg

Probably even better than the original version (Yes, I said it).

Which game do you think had the better David Wise soundtrack? Do you consider them equal? Does Tropical Freeze's music live up to the amazing DKC2? Discuss.

jett

D-Member
DKC2 by a country fucking mile.

The fact that you use a DKC2 remix to make the case for Tropical Freeze says it all.

Cryxok

Honestly, I think Nostalgia will weight a lot in the decision of a lot of people. And don't get me wrong, DKC2 is definitely god-like, but I believe TF is just as good and greatly benefits from the higher sound quality and fidelity.

It's Tropical Freeze and it's not even close. (okay, no, it's pretty close.)

Tropical Freeze's OST might not have the range that DKC's does, but that's not to say it's not atmospheric. And the compositions themselves are just like GOD DAMN. They melt right into the level. I can't separate some Tropical Freeze tracks from the levels they're found in, there's a synergy there that has me appreciating both even more.

LINK BATTLE

LETS DO IT MOTHERFUCKERS

I'll start with one that's not even in my top ten

grassland groove

Cryxok

It's Tropical Freeze and it's not even close.

Tropical Freeze's OST might not have the range that DKC's does, but that's not to say it's not atmospheric. And the compositions themselves are just like GOD DAMN. They melt right into the level. I can't separate some Tropical Freeze tracks from the levels they're found in, there's a synergy there that has me appreciating both even more.

This too. I listened to TF's soundtrack before playing it and some tracks felt kind of forgettable. After I played the game tho, each track was in tandem with how the level progressed and even tracks I had disliked from the soundtrack alone were a joy to hear during gameplay.

I like Tropical Freeze's soundtrack a lot better. The new tracks are absolutely killer (Scorch n' Torch, Homecoming Hijinx, and Seashore War are just some of my favorites) and he improved greatly upon the older tracks too, at least in my opinion.

I used to believe, as someone who never played DKC2 when it was new, that the shit looked boring and that nostalgia was probably responsible for a lot of the love.

I played it since then and I was wrong. Dated in some respects (specifically, I hate platformers that feel 'zoomed-in' like DKC does), it's still incredible. I'd play it over any 2D Mario that isn't 3 or Wii. And the music? SNES soundfont be damned, it's pretty fucking good. A remake of that game with a soundtrack recomposed and orchestrated by Wise and Nintendo's current-era greats would be the greatest platformer OST of all time.

Tropical Freeze is just phew tho.

I remember I used to have a buddy who'd hang out, drink and smoke pot with me and my bros, and we were good friends, but we shared few interests outside of women and hip hop. Dude played football and worked on cars. Dude didn't game.
He came over one day and I'm playing Tropical Freeze and dude's jaw is just dropped the entire time. Never seen someone so enamored by such a jovial game - shit was the kind of reaction you'd think would be reserved for a game like SpidahMan, huh? But he loved it, the music, the levels, the super cheery Nickelodeon feel that Tropical Freeze wore like a badge of honor.
We nearly beat the entire game together and it was a hoot.
This game's music puts smiles on faces. The music together with the levels and gameplay... had me feeling like a kid again, genuinely. It's grand. I feel like Neiteio every time this game comes up. When he posts in this thread, lemme tell you, it'll be tits.

I gotta say Tropical Freeze, and not just because my kid also got obsessed with the soundtrack and often asks to listen to it in the car.

There are a few tracks that I love in DKC2 and the overall quality is nice, but the sheer amount of tracks that stand out for me in TF...

Fruit Factory

Busted Bayou

Wing Ding

Frantic Fields

Homecoming Hijinx

Frozen Frenzy (It was so cool to revisit a DKC1 factory with this nostalgic music)

Xbro

Tropical Freeze's soundtrack is that of the highest caliber.

However DKC2's soundtrack is the best video game soundtrack ever made.

Dad

DKC2 has higher highs but it's hard to overstate just the enormity and consistency of TF's OST. I think I prefer it just a hair more because of that

I prefer Tropical Freeze, like, overall I feel DKC2 may have the better soundtrack but Tropical Freeze has the highest highs for me which matter more to me as I tend to pick out a few specific tracks from a bunch of games and and put them in a playlist.

I love Flight of the Zinger, Mining Melancholy, and Hot-Head Bop from DKC2.

Then there's Tropical Freeze with songs like Amiss Abyss, Trunk Twister, and who could forget Scorch n Torch.

If I had to choose, I definitely prefer Tropical Freeze, but DKC2's soundtrack is damn good too!

Still, though, I think my favorite DKC song is Nuts and Bolts from DKC3 and it's only like 40 seconds long

A bit off topic but I still can't believe TF was not even nominated for best soundtrack in that year's goty awards.

Almost shed a tear listening to Giant Bomb's GOTY deliberations that year.
It had some good competition tho. Indie game soundtracks that year were HOT FIRE

Sky Walker

Pretty close I would say, but TF wins at the end of the day.

Still, both of them are one of the best OSTs in the gaming industry, David Wise is wise :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
As fantastic as both are, I could almost argue Aquatic Ambience from DKC1 is his best track ever devised.

Rhanitan

Tropical Freeze overall has more standout songs to me and would be my winner. That being said though, DKC2's standout tracks are some of my fav soundtrack songs ever.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
DKC2 hands down, but TF's OST is incredible.

I gotta say Tropical Freeze, and not just because my kid also got obsessed with the soundtrack and often asks to listen to it in the car.

There are a few tracks that I love in DKC2 and the overall quality is nice, but the sheer amount of tracks that stand out for me in TF...

Fruit Factory

Busted Bayou

Wing Ding

Frantic Fields

Homecoming Hijinx

Frozen Frenzy (It was so cool to revisit a DKC1 factory with this nostalgic music)

How could you forget Scorch 'N' Torch

Wait wrong track.

It was this one: Seashore War

The absolute best track.

Fuck man, just listen to Seashore War.

goosebumps_2443265b.jpg

it's a crime they don't hire David Wise to do more OST's.

jett

D-Member
Well, like I said, I'm not as familiar with TF's soundtrack as I should be. :p

But one other song that I do really like is Triple Trouble. The 3rd world boss theme.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=imToAIPe5TA

Sounds like something straight out of Diddy Kong Racing!

I think shit like this easily rivals anything in DKC2. Instant head bop

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but personally neither of those two do anything for me.

I also like DKC1's soundtrack better than TF to be honest. I like TF's OST overall, but prime David Wise is just long gone.

DKC2 has an absolutely majestic OST that might be about as close to perfect as it can be.

but listen

Tropical Freeze is filled with amazing compositions that can give pretty much anything in DKC2 a run for their money. But that's not all - I would never substitute quantity for quality, but Tropical Freeze has both. It's an absolutely gargantuan soundtrack compared to DKC2, and it has no shortage of bangers. It's got everything from rockin' guitar tracks, to atmospheric synth, to tribal beats and everything in-between. The OST is polished to a mirror shine, and there's so damn much of it. It can be easy to forget some tracks are even on it due to the sheer volume. It's a bottomless hole of greatness, and while DKC2's is just as great, there's a finiteness to it that Tropical Freeze manages to avoid. That...puts it over the top for me.

Altazor

DKC2

not to take anything from Tropical Freeze though, which is still incredibly high-caliber. But DKC2, man. Dave Wise made the SNES soundchip produce some incredible sounds.

bomma_man

DKC2 easily - it's a genuinely good ambient record even if you ignore its status as an ost.

I can't help but feel it lost something in the transition to "real" instruments.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but personally neither of those two do anything for me.

DKC1's soundtrack is also better than TF. I like TF's OST overall, but prime David Wise is just long gone.

I feel ya. I'm a real big fan of boppy, happy Nintendo music (the kind of dude who'd take 3D World's OST over Galaxy 2's) and so from my perspective, dude's in his prime right now. But I respect a preference for the previous tones and styles with which he composed the previous DK soundtracks.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Almost shed a tear listening to Giant Bomb's GOTY deliberations that year.
It had some good competition tho. Indie game soundtracks that year were HOT FIRE

Pretty much the only time I think I could stand by Ryckert on an opinion. That said, he did a pretty poor job convincing those clowns to consider something outside of their bubble, but he did try. Alex stepped up to help as I recall, but with a whimper given he had other horses in the race.

Also see Ori the following year as well. Brad did his best for that one, but oof that one hurt too.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Fuck! I was all on the Tropical Freeze is the GOAT then i started to listening to Forest Interlude and Bayou Boogie again.

I'm torn!!!

Smeags

It was this one: Seashore War

The absolute best track.

Fuck man, just listen to Seashore War.

Thank you!

Everytime the Tropical Freeze OST is brought up, I feel like a crazy person because no one mentions Seashore War... and it's the best track in the game! (And is one of my favorite gaming tracks ever!)

Nice to see another who can appreciate such musical greatness. *bows*

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Thank you!

Everytime the Tropical Freeze OST is brought up, I feel like a crazy person because no one mentions Seashore War... and it's the best track in the game! (And is one of my favorite gaming tracks ever!)

Nice to see another who can appreciate such musical greatness. *bows*

tumblr_n06n7o7KWx1r01oj1o1_500.gif

Top Bottom