• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DKC2 vs. Tropical Freeze: Which one is the better David Wise soundtrack?

Pun intended? ;)

1497878606900.png

rjc571

Banned
What exactly would you say are the "clunkers" in DKC2? I'm just genuinely curious.

The Haunted Ride and Castle tracks were mediocre tracks by any standard. The Ship Deck theme did a good job sounding pirate-y but its composition was pretty boring and unambitious. The Jungle theme was weak compared to Jungle Hijinx from DKC1,

You want me to choose between my children OP?

I think DKC2 can edge this out for being so damn impressive on the SNES, and my fave five from DKC2 edges out my fave five from Tropical Freeze.
But then I'd be amiss not remembering the sheer quantity of quality that Tropical Freeze outputs.
Though I've been listening to a truckload more of the TF OST since it released than DKC2, granted it's newer and hasn't had a decade of substantial ear time by comparison so I'm not sure how much weight that holds.

Tropical Freeze is a more joyous OST, DKC2 is a more mysterious OST, my mood at the time could change the outcome entirely.

---

Mountain Mania is so freakin' good guys.

L Thammy

The Haunted Ride and Castle tracks were mediocre tracks by any standard. The Ship Deck theme did a good job sounding pirate-y but its composition was pretty boring and unambitious. The Jungle theme was weak compared to Jungle Hijinx from DKC1,

Haunted Chase is basically overruled by the existence of Disco Train though.

*cheesy scream effect*

daTRUballin

Huh? Haunted Chase and Krook's March are underrated though. You're kinda right about Klomp's Romp though. It was a bit more boring than the other tracks. Still fine though.

Huh? Haunted Chase and Krook's March are underrated though. You're kinda right about Klomp's Romp though. It was a bit more boring than the other tracks. Still fine though.
Somehow I overlooked Krook's march being lumped in with the probable weakest link in Haunted Chase, what the heck? the castle theme is fave five material!

DKC2 as the tracks were all original. As good as the remixes were for DKCTF they shouldve all been original. David Wise should've killed it with a brand new never heard before notes. He still killed it but not as good as he could've did it.

Yukinari

Im not gonna let go of the fact that Stickerbrush Symphony was used horribly in Tropical Freeze and that theres quite a few levels that would have been appropriate fanservice with DKC2 remixes. (Like seriously theres a beehive level and no Flight of the Zinger)

But this song exists and makes me wet.

https://youtu.be/tg8Wa3qieGU

daTRUballin

Somehow I overlooked Krook's march being lumped in with the probable weakest link in Haunted Chase, what the heck? the castle theme is fave five material!

No love for Haunted Chase? Did anybody else ever notice the Bond reference thrown into the middle of the song? Goldeneye was probably in development at the time......I mean, it WAS a reference, right? It had to have been....

DKC 2 has such a great soundtrack that Wise had to remake a few of its songs for TF just to make TF even come close.

Bayou Boogie
Hot Head Hop
Forest Interlude
In A Snowbound Land
Lockjaw's Saga
Mining Melancholy
And, of course, obviously Stuckerbrush Symphony

All these songs are god-tier music. The OST perfectly conveys the pirate theme of the game, as well as fits their levels perfectly.

TF is good, but DKC2 is one of the best OSTs of all time.

jb1234

TF has more diversity (and obviously, a lot more music) but I prefer DKC2's overall darker tone. It's also more consistent, not a single weak track in the bunch.

DKC2 as the tracks were all original. As good as the remixes were for DKCTF they shouldve all been original. David Wise should've killed it with a brand new never heard before notes. He still killed it but not as good as he could've did it.

What?

The vast majority of the music pieces in TF aren't based on any previous work.

Donkey kong country 2 soundtrack is top 3 soundtracks of all time. But saying so doesnt mean tropical freeze is not good. Its also an amazing achivement

You want me to choose between my children OP?

I think DKC2 can edge this out for being so damn impressive on the SNES, and my fave five from DKC2 edges out my fave five from Tropical Freeze.
But then I'd be amiss not remembering the sheer quantity of quality that Tropical Freeze outputs.
Though I've been listening to a truckload more of the TF OST since it released than DKC2, granted it's newer and hasn't had a decade of substantial ear time by comparison so I'm not sure how much weight that holds.

Tropical Freeze is a more joyous OST, DKC2 is a more mysterious OST, my mood at the time could change the outcome entirely.

---

Mountain Mania is so freakin' good guys.

Mountain Mania is completely underrated!

Xbro

Tropical Freeze had like, what, 4 remixes? Out of like 70 songs?

Dad

We pretending DKC2 doesn't have any remixed tracks from DKC1? Hell, even DKC1 has a few remixes of the arcade theme. It's a series tradition

daTRUballin

We pretending DKC2 doesn't have any remixed tracks from DKC1? Hell, even DKC1 has a few remixes of the arcade theme. It's a series tradition

What tracks in 2 are remixes from 1? The only ones I can think of are the death tunes.

And besides the intro song in DKC1 starting off as an 8-bit tune, what other arcade remixes are there?

DKC2 is an undeniable classic, TF was an underwhelming return.

Too many remixes, in some interview he even said Nintendo asked him to go for nostalgia bait. Also, too many songs are upbeat, so it doesn't stand out that much compared to other platformers anymore.

No love for Haunted Chase? Did anybody else ever notice the Bond reference thrown into the middle of the song? Goldeneye was probably in development at the time......I mean, it WAS a reference, right? It had to have been....
I don't think there's any intentional Bond in there.
Different composers and I have to wonder how being chased by skeletal ghost pirate crocs on a rollercoaster in a giant creepy library would tie into any bond escapade....
Well maybe one of the Roger Moore era Bond films had this event.

What?

The vast majority of the music pieces in TF aren't based on any previous work.
the "too many remixes" angle seems odd a point to build a case on when there's so much new in there, enough to go beyond all the new within DKC2 itself.

Dad

What tracks in 2 are remixes from 1? The only ones I can think of are the death tunes.

And besides the intro song in DKC1 starting off as an 8-bit tune, what other arcade remixes are there?

Klomp's Romp, Snakey Chantey, and the game over theme are all remixes of Gang-Plank Galleon. Token Tango is a remix of DK Island Swing. Steel Drum Rhumba and Cranky's Conga are remixes of the arcade theme.
And In a Snow-Bound Land is a blatant rip off of this track.

It's not a substantial amount of the OST, but neither is the amount in Tropical Freeze. Taken as a percentage of the total number of tracks in each game, the amount of remixes are probably pretty comparable.

daTRUballin

Klomp's Romp, Snakey Chantey, and the game over theme are all remixes of Gang-Plank Galleon. Token Tango is a remix of DK Island Swing. Steel Drum Rhumba and Cranky's Conga are remixes of the arcade theme.
And In a Snow-Bound Land is a blatant rip off of this track.

It's not a substantial amount of the OST, but neither is the amount in Tropical Freeze. Taken as a percentage of the total number of tracks in each game, the amount of remixes are probably pretty comparable.

Damn. Never mind then. There's quite a bit of remixes in there. I've noticed some of these already, like Snakey Chantey, but I just kinda forgot. And some of these I didn't even notice. Thanks for pointing these out!

Yukinari

The better question is, how does DKC3 GBA stack up to 1 and 2?

Cause i love DKC3 SNES but the GBA version has a lot of superior songs.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Tropical Freeze is the better game in every way. I think people are letting their nostalgia get in the way when answering this question.

Fou-Lu

David Wise is a freaking genius. I think DKC2 is probably his best, but Tropical Freeze really isn't that far behind.

...What do you think it would take to have Wise compose a Xeno____ game? His music brings the feeling of exploration so hard.

I know it would never happen, but I can dream.

Dad

David Wise is a freaking genius. I think DKC2 is probably his best, but Tropical Freeze really isn't that far behind.

...What do you think it would take to have Wise compose a Xeno____ game? His music brings the feeling of exploration so hard.

Has there ever been a JRPG soundtrack full of harmonica and sax?

L Thammy

I don't think any JRPG's story can have the emotional depth of Seashore War or Wing Ding. Sorry.

I like to think the only reason Treetop Tumble GBA gets pooped on is because how unfitting it is for Ripsaw Rage and in general it's quite the tonal change for the original.

The track itself would be the business done Tropical Freeze style.
I wish Wise would revisit stuff like Cascade Capers GBA, that track is sooo good.

Top Bottom