• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DKC2 vs. Tropical Freeze: Which one is the better David Wise soundtrack?

Jezan

Tropical Freeze.

Seashore War was already posted and it is better than anything DKC2 has, except maybe Stickerbrush Symphony , they are tied.

But the again the superior Stickerbrush Symphony is called Bramble Blast and is in Smash.

I prefer the music in the first DKC.

EDIT. OH! and this reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing, maybe because of the Windmill part of the name:

WIndmill Hills

Greenwood Village/Windmill Plains Before the song to Windmill Plains was changed

Altazor

Xbro

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but personally neither of those two do anything for me.

That's because they didn't pull out the big guns.

Scorch n Torch

Seashore War

Sawmill Thrill

Windmill Hills

Wing Ding

holy shit, never heard that. Fucking great remix. Even if it was a "joke", it's really well done.

Still doesn't top the original (one of the GOAT videogame themes) but that's expected ;)

What do you mean "one of"? That song is the GOAT

1upsuper

DCK2 IMO. While I prefer the gameplay of Retro's recent DKCs more than the originals, DKC2 has a stellar soundtrack that hasn't been topped yet in the franchise, IMO.

ramparter

Banned
Honestly, I think Nostalgia will weight a lot in the decision of a lot of people. And don't get me wrong, DKC2 is definitely god-like, but I believe TF is just as good and greatly benefits from the higher sound quality and fidelity.

Yes. Though I wonder how DKC2 would sound without being hold back by the SNES technology.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yes. Though I wonder how DKC2 would sound without being hold back by the SNES technology.

The thing is it doesn't really sound outdated at all. The music was so ahead of it's time in this game.

Another outstanding song from DKC2: Hot-Head Bop

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I honestly prefer dkc2's soundtrack by miles. DKCTF's music was largely forgettable sadly. Gaf likes to pump up dkctf's soundtrack but honestly I wasn't a huge fan (it wasn't bad by any means tho).

bomma_man

Do you think that any artist that uses synths and drum machines just doesn't have access to the real thing?

It's an artistic choice (albeit not so much here, but it would've been the right one if it was).

RagnarokX

DKC2 hands down, but TF's OST is incredible.

How could you forget Scorch 'N' Torch

Wait wrong track.

It was this one: Seashore War

The absolute best track.

Fuck man, just listen to Seashore War.

goosebumps_2443265b.jpg

it's a crime they don't hire David Wise to do more OST's.

David Wise said Seashore War is his favorite track he's ever composed

I prefer Tropical Freeze's, though I enjoy DKC2's as well. My absolute favourite tracks of the series are from the first game though.

CrisKre

Im inclined to say DKC2, but I have pause to outright call it for that game because TF is more varied and I really appreciate the soundtrack for that fact.

Ahh, Ill call it a tie.

*whynotboth.gif

VDenter

Banned
Tropical Freeze and i have no idea how this is even a debate. Even the original DKC had a better soundtrack than DKC2 had.

Tropical Freeze has most of the best songs from DKC2, so it's Tropical Freeze.

If DKC2 didn't have Welcome to Crocodile Isle, this wouldn't even be a contest.

Rran

Tropical Freeze's soundtrack is that of the highest caliber.

However DKC2's soundtrack is the best video game soundtrack ever made.
I can get behind this.

Those saying "DKC2, and it's not even close" seem to be really selling the quality of TF's soundtrack short (whether unintentional or not).

daTRUballin

Keinning

I can get behind this.

Those saying "DKC2, and it's not even close" seem to be really selling the quality of TF's soundtrack short (whether unintentional or not).

It's not like there aint people doing the same for TF

And in the end its all a matter of opinion so they're all "wrong"

yoshiunity

If someone had to put a gun to my head and make me choose, I'd say this... "DKC 2's soundtrack is leviathan because it's that damn good. Tropical Freeze's soundtrack is absolutely omnipotent because it's an evolution of what is still that damn good."

Both soundtracks are some of the greatest example of my David Wise is a composing god among men. But Tropical Freeze edges it out for me simply for how each song felt much more on point with each level. It also has a wider range, with songs that were from a plethora of different genres but all still came together to make an amazing experience. Feeling like an evolution of what the Donkey Kong Country soundtrack should be.

Nostalgia will never blind the truth that Donkey Kong Country 2 is an amazing game with a damn good soundtrack. I've played all three DKC games on the SNES and they still hold up, soundtrack and all. But Tropical Freeze just screams at me with how to bring a formula back not only with gameplay, but with the soundtrack and make it legendary on it's own.

Among my favorites from Tropical Freeze.

Aqueduct Assault -- (It amazes me how no one talks about how epic this song is.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8LdqmggjUE

Seashore War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boqy0Q-4c_M

Grassland Grove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss421nbCAJE

Homecoming Hijinx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtMSyLdk0Q8

Scorch N' Torch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFP4wn0dejc

Big Top Bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301s-GDML5w

I know I missed some other good ones. There are no wrong answers.

It's DKC 2 by a significant margin, but that shouldn't be taken as a knock against DKC TF. DKC 2's soundtrack is simply that astonishing. DKC TF's soundtrack is "only" fantastic in comparison. There honestly aren't many soundtracks out there at all, gaming or otherwise, that can stand up to DKC 2's.

sanstesy

Big Top Bop destroys any track DKC track ever made. It's that good.

I really like them overall the same and they are pretty different coming from the same composer but Tropical Freeze is the better game so TF wins (easily).

rjc571

Banned
Tropical Freeze, by far. Nearly every track is a god damn masterpiece. It's simply beyond the level of any other game soundtrack. DKC2 was great as well but its top tracks were only about as good as an average track from TF, and it also had its fair share of clunkers.

TF also did an amazing job tying the music together with the gameplay, especially exemplified by Sawmill Thrill's composition changes timed to coincide with the segues between riding the sawmill to the log flume and back to the mill.

Rran

It's not like there aint people doing the same for TF

And in the end its all a matter of opinion so they're all "wrong"
True, but those respondents stating as much appear to be a bit outnumbered in this thread.* Make no mistake, though, I adore both soundtracks <3

And regarding the 'opinion' remark: yes, this is all very much subjective (as are all topics dealing w/ "which is better" subject matter), but then what's the point of a discussion topic if not to discuss one's point of view ;P

*it seems to be evening out!

There are a handful of DKC2 tracks that I consider to be among the best video game compositions of all time, but on the whole, I think TF has the better soundtrack.

This is like choosing between mom and dad.

I would say Tropical Feeze OST is bigger, faster and stronger too. It has more tracks and has more variation of musical styles, instruments and beats, something that proves that he has evolved and matured as a game composer in all these years. The amount and quality of the music that there is in DKCTF is simply outstanding.

On the other hand, DKC2 is maybe the only game that I reckon where virtually ALL the tracks of the OST are superb.

daTRUballin

Tropical Freeze, by far. Nearly every track is a god damn masterpiece. It's simply beyond the level of any other game soundtrack. DKC2 was great as well but its top tracks were only about as good as an average track from TF, and it also had its fair share of clunkers.

TF also did an amazing job tying the music together with the gameplay, especially exemplified by Sawmill Thrill's composition changes timed to coincide with the segues between riding the sawmill to the log flume and back to the mill.

What exactly would you say are the "clunkers" in DKC2? I'm just genuinely curious.

This is like choosing between mom and dad.

I would say Tropical Feeze OST is bigger, faster and stronger too. It has more tracks and has more variation of musical styles, instruments and beats, something that proves that he has evolved and matured as a game composer in all these years. The amount and quality of the music that there is in DKCTF is simply outstanding.

On the other hand, DKC2 is maybe the only game that I reckon where virtually ALL the tracks of the OST are superb.

Pun intended? ;)

Big Top Bop destroys any track DKC track ever made. It's that good.

I really like them overall the same and they are pretty different coming from the same composer but Tropical Freeze is the better game so TF wins (easily).

Big Top Bop, oh my god. Like, I thought I had Tropical Freeze music figured out, then they throw that hardcore stuff at me for the first boss!! I wasn't ready.

Yazzees

stickerbush symphony is the most overplayed vgm in internet history, I'll go weeks without hearing it and still be sick of it

bayou boogie means DKC2 still wins though

Top Bottom