• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DKC2 vs. Tropical Freeze: Which one is the better David Wise soundtrack?

Tropical Freeze is the best Donkey Kong game and I only got to play it for a few hours at a friends house.

I mean holy shit I need a port to Switch and or a sequel.

daTRUballin

I like to think the only reason Treetop Tumble GBA gets pooped on is because how unfitting it is for Ripsaw Rage and in general it's quite the tonal change for the original.

The track itself would be the business done Tropical Freeze style.
I wish Wise would revisit stuff like Cascade Capers GBA, that track is sooo good.

Yeah, that's mostly the reason why people hate on the track. I do agree that it's a huge tonal change for the levels and it doesn't fit some of them, but it's still a great track on its own.

Yukinari

I like to think the only reason Treetop Tumble GBA gets pooped on is because how unfitting it is for Ripsaw Rage and in general it's quite the tonal change for the original.

The track itself would be the business done Tropical Freeze style.
I wish Wise would revisit stuff like Cascade Capers GBA, that track is sooo good.

The snow levels are the worst offender for this.

The ridiculous bombastic instruments and yodeling throw the tone out the window compared to SNES.

The only excuse i have for David is that he had to compose all these songs in like 3-4 months.

daTRUballin

The snow levels are the worst offender for this.

The ridiculous bombastic instruments and yodeling throw the tone out the window compared to SNES.

The only excuse i have for David is that he had to compose all these songs in like 3-4 months.

He also ruined the boss music from the SNES version. In the original, both Boss Boogie and Big Boss Blues were very sinister tracks that really fit their respective boss battles. In the GBA version, the music in these stages is too goofy and cartoony sounding and it doesn't really fit the battles.

Not to mention the fight with Baron K. Roolenstein itself was ruined as well. What did they do with his roars when he gets hit with a barrel? Why oh why did they replace that roar with that cheesy, terrible scream? It's just so.......silly sounding.

Just look at these and compare the two.

SNES version:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XgHo678iYpU

GBA version:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nt3glut8DSs

It's a world of difference. The GBA version of the fight is just so, so bad in comparison to the original version in every way.

What?

The vast majority of the music pieces in TF aren't based on any previous work.

Tropical Freeze had like, what, 4 remixes? Out of like 70 songs?

We pretending DKC2 doesn't have any remixed tracks from DKC1? Hell, even DKC1 has a few remixes of the arcade theme. It's a series tradition
Yeah it did but I feel like the remixes over shadowed some of the original songs

Top Bottom