• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

joe2187

Banned
Now with 100% less hat....m'lady

latest

Little known fact about this remaster.

They completely removed Vergils fruity little hat from the game.

Been playing this weekend and I'm really liking the changes. Since I played through once on PS3 over a year ago, it feels fresh at 60fps and with all the DLC including that sweet DMC1 Dante costume.

Really looking forward to going through Vergil's story and spending hours on bloody palace. Honestly, the fact that this is 60fps is probably the biggest addition for me. I honestly feel it improves the combat significantly. While I still don't think it reaches the heights of DMC3 and 4's combat mechanics, it's brilliant and fun in its own right. Brings the game up from at 8 to a 9 for me.

LordJim

But it's not just a port, it's an entire rebalancing of the game. And they bundled all the dlc and skins so why would they charge less than $40? This is a steal compared to most remasters imo.

Fixing the incredibly bad design choices that people warned them about for almost 2 years and having to pay 40$ dollars 2 years after release?
Some people will think it's not that great a bargain

Dahbomb

Fixing the incredibly bad design choices that people warned them about for almost 2 years and having to pay 40$ dollars 2 years after release?
Compared to some of the "remasters" like the Tomb Raider one that cost $60, this is a much, much better deal.

I enjoyed the Xbox 360 demo back when it came out, despite how different it felt from the previous games, but I never got around to buying the full game. After this was announced, I'm glad that I never did. The changes sound so good, and the streams and videos I've watched over the last few days make it look way more fun and smooth than the original. I might just be picking it up on Xbox One this week or next.

If anyone wants to watch some streams on Twitch, here you go: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/DmC Devil May Cry™: Definitive Edition

The fuck... someone is already on DMD mode...

Definitely not playing on Hardcore mode though.

Truant

Really liked this game on PC, but stopped playing after a few hours for some reason. I think it was during one of the tutorial sections where you have to do some platforming.

Dahbomb

I'm watching this stream, good play
http://www.twitch.tv/xiaolinshowdown
This play isn't that good actually. He's not even playing on Hardcore mode yet struggling to get good S ranks up. I know it's DMD mode but this is regular DMD mode which wasn't that hard to begin with.

Still it's the best we have thus far.

Does anyone know what the extra cutscene added is yet?
Gregaman accidentally showed part of it. It seems to be a cutscene during the planning phase right around Mission 16.

He said there is something different at the end too. Overall nothing to get too excited over.

jediyoshi

Psst, everyone thinks they're a game designer

Nice OT ezekial. So you went with that title huh :D

Unfortunately I won't be able to get the game this month but I'll definitely check it out down the line.

Dahbomb

Psst, everyone thinks they're a game designer
He never claimed that but you don't need to be a game designer to realize that they made some mistakes with the game initially which they even admitted to and are now fixing it. All of the changes that you see in this edition are based on fan feedback, a lot of them came from this very forum as well.

stay gold

Skipped this last gen, but couldn't resist this after the improvements & £25 price tag. Looking forward to trying it out!

Slaythe

Come on...

the insane content and replayability + actual good gameplay, proper bloody palaces and vergil dante skins... the 1080p 60fps goodness.. turbo and hardcore modes.

Just 40 bucks with the vergil story included.

If anybody skipped this because of Donte, without spoiler, just know that Donte s journey is pretty much going from little punk brat to half demon hero. So by the end he is decent.

As for Vergil, while he seemed different in the original story, his DLC shows him pretty much as classic Vergil. Especially his gameplay that's identical animation wise. Story wise i loved his scenery and pace. Great DLC. Now with BP too.

Dont miss it. And also buy DMC4 SE this summer.

DmC is way better than the Order.

Should of been clear, I beat DmC already but was a little disappointed with how easy it was to get SSS and I found a pretty game breaking glitch with Virgil that allowed me to stay in the air and fire projectiles forever. DMC is my favorite game series though and I'm eager to see if they fixed the issues I had with it.

Been playing this weekend and I'm really liking the changes. Since I played through once on PS3 over a year ago, it feels fresh at 60fps and with all the DLC including that sweet DMC1 Dante costume.

I have the same opinion. I liked the vanilla DmC but the improvements and additions made in this Definitive Edition are making the game more enjoyable.

I can't say much more because of the embargo but I'm having a blast playing this.

Dahbomb

Should of been clear, I beat DmC already but was a little disappointed with how easy it was to get SSS and I found a pretty game breaking glitch with Virgil that allowed me to stay in the air and fire projectiles forever. DMC is my favorite game series though and I'm eager to see if they fixed the issues I had with it.
In Hardcore mode it's much more difficult to get those high S ranks now as mentioned in the OP.

That glitch you are talking about is probably not a glitch and even though it will do damage you won't get good style ranks from it especially in Hardcore mode. Plus Vergil is meant to be over powered anyway, he already has many game breaking mechanics which make him fun to play.

Fj0823

Color-coded enemies that keep you from using certain weapons, scripted walking sections, cutscenes interrupting boss fights, and NG3-level boss fights. Such great design choices.
Color coded has been corrected
the Bob Barbas and Night Club bosses were badass

And once again, its all your opinion

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The original game release was plagued with poor design choices. That's just reality, and also why this version of the game removed a lot of those things.

Bob Barbas is one of the worst bosses in the game. Interesting visually with absolutely zero substance. Bosses are not a strong suit of DmC.

This will be the first time I play this game in any form. Worth the wait after improvements?

It's a million times better than the original release, and offers fixes that make it more in line with the DMC series, fixing what was possible.

Corpekata

Banned
Why do people feel the need to clarify what other people are saying is their opinion? No shit. That's how basic language functions.

This will be the first time I play this game in any form. Worth the wait after improvements?
its a fine game on its own, not as good as dmc1, 3 or 4, but solid. the color coating was fixed so imo the biggest flaw is the mediocre bosses. IMO the only ok to good bosses are Hunter, Bob Barbas and the last boss, and Barbas is more spectacle than anything but man it was cool looking

Sesha

The post I quoted was quoting another post that referred to the DE as fixing bad design choices. Don't know why you felt the need to point out the colored enemies have been fixed, because if you even set foot in the previous thread you'd realize that I'm quite aware of everything that's been revealed to be new about this remaster.

Dumb AI even on the highest difficulty, low damage, cutscenes interrupting gameplay aren't opinions. But it's my opinion that those things equal bad boss fights, sure. Keep in mind I actually like quite a lot about this game, but whatever, opinions.

Color coded enemies never bothered me at all but the forced walking sections and few unskippable ''cutscenes'' were pretty bad for fast replayability.

Sesha

I really look forward to trying out the new toggle option for lock on. I must be one of the few handful in the world that has wanted this as a feature in a DMC game.

Dahbomb

LOL I thought it was a joke too...

Well that's one of the reasons why I will be skipping all of those cutscenes.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Tried playing the PS3-version but the framerate and screen-tearing proved too much. Really liked the game, though. Looking forward to playing this.

Top Bottom