• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

Gbraga

I even considered that maybe it's just the animations that are sluggish, but then I tried doing Death Coil facing different places, and when I'm looking at the moving environment, it's a lot more sluggish.

Onemic

Just popping in to say that Vergil looks like the biggest douchebag and Dante looks like Justin Biebers emo twin brother.

That being said Im downloading this demo. Maybe it wont play as bad as it looks

Style ranking system is busted.

Basically once you get to SSS rank you can just repeat moves over and over again, it will still maintain a SSS. Very major oversight in the game, this allows you to get high style points very easily and safely.

Demon dodge is also over powered as hell. It not only increases damage but it increases your style ranking per hit as well (the bonuses seem to apply to all weapons). If you demon dodge and then hit like 3 enemies it's like an instant S and after that you can just use a couple of moves over and over again. Demon dodge is not difficult to pull off at all.

Rake is OP as hell.

I noticed that with continued jump canceling you can keep "raking" enemies up towards you, but it also does absolutes shit damage. There comes a point when you could have just killed all the enemies 30 seconds ago, while that other guy keeps "raking" enemies up.

Gbraga

Ok, I'm considering that maybe I'm just used to 60fps on PC?

I'm willing to admit that I'm just stupid if Dahbomb plays the PS3 version and confirms that it runs fine.

Nizz

Shit, now I'm wondering should I even continue downloading the demo. If it runs like shit then why bother...

Gbraga

I'm desperate please more people say what they think about the PS3 version, am I crazy?

Shit, now I'm wondering should I even continue downloading the demo. If it runs like shit then why bother...

Please do, I want to know if I'm stupid, my PS3 is dying or if it really doesn't run all that well.

JoeFenix

Can't find the demo on the US store. I'm in Canada, it usualy goes up at the same time though. I tried searching for DmC but only found some trailers.

Anyone in Canada able to see this in the store?

Dahbomb

I noticed that with continued jump canceling you can keep "raking" enemies up towards you, but it also does absolutes shit damage. There comes a point when you could have just killed all the enemies 30 seconds ago, while that other guy keeps "raking" enemies up.
You don't even need to do Jump cancel just spam combo 2 in air and Rake to stay in the air. As long as you keep attacking with Osiris its power builds up due to its passive ability.

jimmypython

Can't find the demo on the US store. I'm in Canada, it usualy goes up at the same time though. I tried searching for DmC but only found some trailers.

Anyone in Canada able to see this in the store?

I can't even log on PSN. It says it's undergoing maintenance.

edit: OK now....downloading the demo...(browsing through the new store is definitely not a pleasant experience, so slow..)

Lucent

Ok, I'm considering that maybe I'm just used to 60fps on PC?

I'm willing to admit that I'm just stupid if Dahbomb plays the PS3 version and confirms that it runs fine.

That might be it. I don't play games on PC because I don't have the money to keep upgrading right now. I have played on it before though and I can see the difference, but I think 60fps in Half-Life 2 looked weird. Like it's way too quick and smooth.

I'm still downloading the demo. I'll probably find it okay though because the videos looked fine to me.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
They patched a demo?

That's awesome.

It was weird there was a patch for the ZoE collection that changed nothing(Performance was the same and graphical glitches still present)

then I read online that Konami acknowledged and planned to address the Rising issues.

and I wasn't able to reproduce any of the crashing bugs after that. So I'm pretty sure the patch was intended for the demo.(Konami hasn't formally acknowledged any of the problems with the ZoE collection)

I think it's a rare case that was only possible because of the nature of the demo though.(Only playable off disc)

Kinda disappointing where their priorities lie with that collection though.... lol

yaaay just like everything on psn, i cant download the goddamn thing because when it installs it hangs up at 14 percent and gives corrupted data

Gbraga

That might be it. I don't play games on PC because I don't have the money to keep upgrading right now. I have played on it before though and I can see the difference, but I think 60fps in Half-Life 2 looked weird. Like it's way too quick and smooth.

I'm still downloading the demo. I'll probably find it okay though because the videos looked fine to me.

The videos seemed fine to me too :(

Maybe my PS3 IS dying then?

If I can get to a secret challenge, that'll probably run smoother than the game itself if the framerate really is an issue.

Right so you just attack and then glide again.

I see, I'll test it.

dan2026

Just beat the boss level on Son of Sparda.

Got an SSS rank for score but on a C rank for time, bah.

When you get the hang of dodging the swipes. Its not too hard really.

Alright, so I have the PS3 version up and running and I'm running around in the first area. I don't notice any performance differences from the 360 version which runs perfect.

Now, I'm not doing a side by side or anything, but I see no problems with the PS3 version thus far. I'll keep playing - and I'll try the harder settings.

Frantic

Rake is OP as hell.
My favorite thing is to enemy step Rake until I reach the top of the screen once I've gotten S rank or above. It looks pretty up there, haha.

The invincibility on the dodge is gross. You can dodge, jump cancel it near the end, then airdodge for maximum invincibility frames. Definitely needs some tweaks to that.

Esura

Banned
PSN sucks when it comes to downloading. Downloading 1GB worth of stuff on laptop? Two hours. Downloading 1GB worth of stuff on PS3? Forever...

Gbraga

Alright, so I have the PS3 version up and running and I'm running around in the first area. I don't notice any performance differences from the 360 version which runs perfect.

Now, I'm not doing a side by side or anything, but I see no problems with the PS3 version thus far. I'll keep playing - and I'll try the harder settings.

What is going on with me? :(

SoCoRoBo

Considering NT's past games, this is a pretty considerable achievement. Boss design is surprisingly great, almost a textbook example of good boss design.

That said, it doesn't properly feel like Devil May Cry. A lot of that is down to 30fps but I think a more general thing is probably the fact that the design is really tightly constrained. The old games were freeform, there were rarely occasions where the game would present you with a "This Move on This Enemy" situation. The presence here of a really tight focus on, for instance, launching enemies, grabbing shields and having colour-coded enemies kind of suggests that this might be the weakest element in recreating the feel of a Devil May Cry game. It's worrying, but nobody was expecting this to stack up against the old games anyway.

It doesn't, but it's still quite enjoyable.

Dahbomb

I don't know who claimed otherwise but you can still easily Angel Lift + beast uppercut to the heavens fairly easily. I reached the ceiling of the game and then I fell...

TreIII

Some more findings:

*You can charge your guns while moving/jumping etc but the charge loses when you switch stance/use the pulls

*The other chargeable moves (Drive and Raze) can't be charged while doing any other action

*Guns do the worst damage in any DMC game yet

*SIGH*

The Gunslinger in me weeps again. Ah well, this download will be done in a little bit...

Lucent

PSN sucks when it comes to downloading. Downloading 1GB worth of stuff on laptop? Two hours. Downloading 1GB worth of stuff on PS3? Forever...

I think it really depends on the situation. Mine isn't taking forever.

Remember guys that this is a demo and so chances are will be a really, really old build.

I can believe that. It looks like the same thing they showed off a long time ago when we first saw any combat at all.

Played it. Gonna give it a few more runs to see if I warm up to it but as it is, it looks like a pass. I'm no DMC pro like Dahbomb and such, but it doesn't feel like real DMC to me. And as expected, the 30FPS is a soul crusher. Game is also not as pretty as I expected, lots of jaggies and over-saturation.

I will say this though, it's far better than any other NT game before it. And surprisingly I like Dino. He would have been just fine as a new character to the series, instead of it's iconic character.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just beat both levels on Nephilim. Never came close to dying, even though I have no idea what the controls really are. I'll try Son of Sparda now. I'll post more impressions later, but I'll say that was piss easy. Is this what all the press was rage quitting about?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Some quick impressions of the first part:

The game looks like it's using a post processing form of AA, with a sharpen filter over that. Game doesn't look blurry, but there is annoying artifacts from the Post AA it's using. You can even see it effecting the text. The shadows on Dante during cutscenes are low res and very jarring.

There is some screen tearing, but it isn't too noticeable. Framerate takes a dive during cutscenes and alpha heavy scenes. Framerate during gameplay holds up, but with mild screen tearing. Overall it could be smoother, but isn't bad at all.

Off to more playing, I really want to try out the second part of the demo and see how that holds up.

sleepykyo

Remember guys that this is a demo and so chances are will be a really, really old build.

Doesn´t mean much for the ps3 build . Happens with Bayonetta‚ Battlefield‚ LP2‚ Mafia 2‚ etc. Whatever last minute optimizations happened won't save that version of the game.

Top Bottom