• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=903X23ISK-o

So this strategy still works?

GG Ninja Theory.

Hope the other battles are more like DMC bosses and less like Bayonetta's in the full game. The cutscene driven fighting giant enemies in background boss encounters were the weakest aspect of that game for me.

DMC bosses were the only time enemies really challenged your aerial movement options in the old games. Damn shame if they're like Bayonetta's now with even easier exploits than in that game.

Okay, maybe this is twice I'm changing my mind one this game in one day. :lol Son of Sparda was a lot better, this needs to be unlocked from the start in the final game. You are forced to switch it up and make better use of the Angel and Demon weapons. I imagine it will get like on Nephilim in later levels too, though. Really had a great time on SoS(even with dying twice :p), and now that I'm getting to used to the feel of 30fps I may have overstated the framerate problems on the PS3 version, it's not that bad.I do wish it was 60fps, hopefully I can get it to run at 60 on my PC.

Visually the game really is fantastic, I love the look of the powered up Osiris.

Yeah, this is more inline with the technical performance I had with the PS3 version. The framerate during gameplay is mostly stable, the concern comes from the screen tearing and the jitters during the cutscenes.

Vomiaouaf

Just finished the demo on PS3. Framerate could use some work for sure (in cutscenes in particular, weirdly), but it's stupidly fun. Dialog is horrendously corny which got a few face palms and giggles out of me. Very entertaining demo with a lot of little 'treasures', curious to see if the whole game holds its own.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Which doesn't matter because when you do die you probably already have a thousand continues.

While that's true, you do have to start over. There's a penalty at least.

But the more significant problem with the platforming is that it looks more interesting than it plays. It really boils down to Devil Snatch platforming with less freedom and more flash.

Or you could be a fan of male heartthrob bad boys in a teenybopper soap opera, and a skaterpunk grunge aesthetic fashioned by a pretentious Western art studio.

Hooray for dismissive generalizations!

Hey, at least it's more authentic. The British still remains the best in male heartthrob bad boys and skaterpunk grunge aesthetics.

Seriously though, I'll try it out. I'm not surprised yet still disappointed by the news of frame rates, it's Ninja Theory's trademark at this point, but I hope the story is as good as their previous works.

Himself

But the more significant problem with the platforming is that it looks more interesting than it plays. It really boils down to Devil Snatch platforming with less freedom and more flash.

It has yet to be seen if the platforming gets any more complex. Who knows? Could be some potential. Also I didn't die during a platforming section so I didn't realize there is no penalty.

Dante's dialogue is so cheesy.

There is a penalty if you fall. You lose life. This is actually how you would want this kind of platforming in an action game. You go through a level - doing your combos and everything, and you fall in a pit and you die and start over? No, that's ridiculous. You're penalized with health loss but you're put back at the starting point immediately without any loading.

TreIII

...Yeah. I'm not feeling this.

Admittedly, it's a decent action game. But it just doesn't feel like DMC at all, to me. It feels more like Darksiders, which is fine, if you were looking for something akin to that. The control scheme is not something I like, either; perhaps I shouldn't have played DMC:HD trilogy while waiting for this to finish downloading!

And this maybe more in the way of nitpicks, but:

a) I really don't like the feel of the gunplay. At all. And that's a big thing that makes a DMC game for me. Maybe if they had more than just Ebony and Ivory on display, I could say more about this. But as of now, I think it's safe to say that there's NO WAY I'll be able to get anything close to my favorite Gunslinger style in this.

b) Storywise, I don't like what they did to Sparda. In this version he was mugged and imprisoned by demons, where as in the original mythos he was able to take care of business all by himself. What a way to take the badass out of an established character. :lol

But speaking of Sparda, good that they actually did live up to the claim and made SoS mode more challenging. But I could see the whole "Ikaruga" thing getting annoying REAAAAALLY quickly!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There is a penalty if you fall. You lose life. This is actually how you would want this kind of platforming in an action game. You go through a level - doing your combos and everything, and you fall in a pit and you die and start over? No, that's ridiculous. You're penalized with health loss but you're put back at the starting point immediately without any loading.

People that want game over for dying in a platforming section are insane. NT did it right.

Nah, you're right. The platforming is still boring, though.

ezekial45

Banned
It looks like the response to the demo has been good so far, for the most part. Though I'm sorry to see that there are those who still don't like it, or hate it even more, but I guess it can't be helped now. I had a blast with it, and I'm happy with how it turned out, beside a few quibbles that have been already brought up by others.

It can't wait for the full game.

People that want game over for dying in a platforming section are insane. NT did it right.

yeah, seriously. I had a few minor missteps that caused me to fall to my death. It was the right move to keep it like a checkpoint, cause it would've screwed the pacing a lot if the did a straight up game over. That just wouldn't be fair.

Gbraga

The boss fight was really meh

I'll ask again and now wanting to know even more, is it possible that the PC version will get a fanmade rebalance patch?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It looks like the response to the demo has been good so far, for the most part. Though I'm sorry to see that there are those who still don't like it, or hate it even more, but I guess it can't be helped now. I had a blast with it, and I'm happy with how it turned out, beside a few quibbles that have been already brought up by others.

It can't wait for the full game.

Big surprise. But of course you won't voice those quibbles because it wouldn't be "fair".

Mesoian

Either that or they don't remember how retarded it was in Dante's Inferno.

In fact, those platforming sections reminded me a LOT of Dante's Inferno.

jett

D-Member
The one thing i flat out don't care for is how DT is implemented. I miss the DMC1 DT that gave you new moves.

Not sure if this was posted but I've learned a move that's not on the list. Press square+x. Youre welcome ;)

There are several other moves not on the list:

demon --> --> triangle
angel --> --> triangle
angel evade
demon evade

Reiko

Banned
It has yet to be seen if the platforming gets any more complex. Who knows? Could be some potential. Also I didn't die during a platforming section so I didn't realize there is no penalty.

Dante's dialogue is so cheesy.

Seems about right. Dante's lines in DMC4 were also super cheesy.

Mechazawa

DT knock up is kinda lame.

Enemies are complete cannon fodder, but I guess that's the case with every DMC in the beginning, so what else is new.

I...just wish it was faster. The presentation is pretty great, but the weightiness of the game sacrifices the speed. It fits perfectly with the axe, but I shouldn't feel like i'm wading through molasses with Rebellion. Or maybe that's the framerate. It doesn't feel like it though.

Dahbomb

Spend about 2-3 hours straight on the demo.

I still have some extra data collection to make but I feel like I have enough grasp of the game to make legit impressions.

Stay tuned for indepth impressions. There will be no story/cutscene/character discussion, you can make up your mind about them watching the YT vids.

Himself

Seems about right. Dante's lines in DMC4 were also super cheesy.

Yeah...adult Dante didn't really work too well. I mean Dante has always been cheesy, so he's in character here. I think my beef is that it seems like NT wants us to take their cheesy Dante very seriously.

Majukun

Spend about 2-3 hours straight on the demo.

I still have some extra data collection to make but I feel like I have enough grasp of the game to make legit impressions.

Stay tuned for indepth impressions. There will be no story/cutscene/character discussion, you can make up your mind watching the YT vids.

tumblr_m5lye6kTj11rrn4vv.gif

Reiko

Banned
Yeah...adult Dante didn't really work too well. I mean Dante has always been cheesy, so he's in character here. I think my beef is that it seems like NT wants us to take their cheesy Dante very seriously.

Devil May Cry 4 was weird... Looking back, Dante was so much of a cartoon character that he didn't really fit in his own game. It was clashing against the realistic art style.

Nero seemed more appropriate.

Gbraga

This is just such a disappointment. I'm sure more weapons might make things a bit more interesting but the combat is really drab. Where were these "DMC FANS" who apparently approved and/or were consistently testing this? Did none of them speak up?

I was actually thinking about that a few hours ago. They only tweaked the angel pull followup after regular players feedback on events, what kind of garbage "DMC vet" wouldn't notice and say "hey, this sucks!" when playtesting?

Big surprise. But of course you won't voice those quibbles because it wouldn't be "fair".

Actually, some of the people make these quibbles have been making these quibbles for the past 2 years. Nobody is really surprised to the point where it's not even noticed, I don't think anyone thought any kind of demo would "change" their minds.

Not sure if this was posted but I've learned a move that's not on the list. Press square+x. Youre welcome ;)

Actually it's in the OP.

Rebellion:

Combo I Hacker: /\/\/\/\
Standard combo for Rebellion. Last hit sends enemy flying.

Combo II Death Coil: /\/\,(pause)/\/\
Alternate combo that adds more hits and more horizontal coverage.

Drive: /\ (hold and release) /\
The charge move of Rebellion. Releases shockwaves up to 3 depending upon button pressed (Overdrive)

Hightime: O
The DMC signature launcher. Your passport to combat heaven.

Rising Hightime: O (press and hold)
Launcher follow that allows you to rise with your enemy for aerial follow ups.

Air Rave Base 1: In air: /\/\/\
Basic 3 hit air combo sends opponent flying

Roulette Spin Base 2: In air: /\/\ (pause) /\
The alternate aerial combo from DMC4's Nero. The extra spins launches the enemy even higher.
Stinger: Forward, Forward /\
The classical sword lunge moves that allows you to get in and close the distance between you and your opponent.

Trillion Stab: Forward, Forward /\ (mash /\)
Remixed follow up to Stinger allows you to keep the combos going after knockbacks.

Helm Breaker: In the air O
A vertical downward slash

Dodge: R1
The basic dodge of the game.

Air Dodge: In the air, R1
A simply flip in the air that is neutral in direction. Pressing a direction will allow a very short dash in the specified direction.

Osiris: (L2 must be held at all times during these set-ups)

Combo I Karma: /\/\/\/\/\
Standard Osiris combo lots of horizontal coverage.

Combo II Cleaver: /\/\ (pause)/\/\/\
Alternate Osiris combo that delivers even more hits.

Raze: /\(press and hold)
A chargeable move that creates a swirl of slashes around Dante and launches all enemies around him while launching himself. Charge increases number of hits and damage.

Prop: O
Standard launcher for Osiris as Dante spins the scythe and keeps the opponent juggling. Can be canceled during the spins.

Shredder: O then O
Follow up to Prop that shreds the enemies with more spin but in the opposite direction.

Streak: Forward Forward /\
A swirling lunge forward with the scythe to keep the combo going across long distances.

Air Combo I Hangar: /\/\/\
Standard air combo for Osiris

Air Combo II Double Up: /\/\ (pause)/\/\
The alternate air combo that has more hits and sends your opponent even higher

Rake: In the air O
A vertical scoop that allows you to pick up enemies below you straight into an air combo

Feed: passive ability of Osiris that powers up the weapon as you attack and hit more frequently with it.

Angel Lift: []
Dante uses his angel powers to pull himself towards the enemy. The application of this move is similar to a teleport.

Kicker: During Angel Lift tap [] an additional time
After a pull Dante delivers a kick that sends opponent flying

Leap: During Demon Pull tap X an additional time
After a pull Dante delivers a beastly uppercut that launches the opponent.

Angel Dodge: R1 or L1 timed to an enemy's attack
A phasing teleport dodge that allows you to phase through enemies unharmed.

Arbiter: (R2 must be held at all time during these set ups)

Combo I Judgment: /\/\/\
A powerful 3 hit combo with the Arbiter.

Combo II Trinity Smash: /\/\ (pause) /\ (or hold for last hit)
The last hit of this move is extremely powerful and leaves after images of Dante for extra impost.

Flush: Forward – Forward /\
Dante tosses the axe like a projectile, delivering solid long ranged damage

Tremor: O
A devastating vertical hit that sends a shockwave forward. The shockwave can launch enemies.

Aerial Flush: In the air /\
Dante tosses the axe from the air.

Drop: In the air O
Essentially a Tremor that brings Dante to the earth delivering a powerful strike.
Launches enemies straight up.

Demon Pull: []
Dante pulls the enemy towards him like the Devil Bringer from DMC4.

Can use Kicker and Leap after Demon pull as well.

Demon Dodge: R1 or L1 timed with opponents attack
A timed dodge that if successfully pulled off powers up the Arbiter's next attack.

Weapon Changing:
If you initiate the paused combo of one weapon, and switch to the other, you will automatically go into the alternate timed combo of the other weapon.

Example:
With Rebellion: /\/\, (pause) L2+/\
You will go straight into Osiris alternate timed combo ender. You can take this mentality from any one of the three weapons to an other. It doesn’t have to start with Rebellion.

Ebony and Ivory
:

Ricoshot: [] press and hold [] then release
The new charged shot variant of E&I. Bullets ricochet off of surfaces.

Rainstorm: In the air []+X (press and hold)
The Gunslinger move from DMC3/DMC4 that sees Dante spiraling down while firing his guns aimed downwards

Inverse Rainstorm: [] + X on ground (press and hold) to extend duration. (or it might be mash, not sure)
As the name describes it, this is the Rainstorm going in the opposite direction upwards

If the shotgun is enabled in the demo, fireworks is preformed via []+X as well.

And finally, as a note – you want to demon pull enemy shields off. Judging by the footages I’ve seen, trying to break them with Rebellion and Osiris seems like a lost cause.

** These are PS3 controls.
/\ = Y
O = B
R2/L2 = Triggers
Square = X

The controls are one to one conversion between the ps3 and xbox 360.

jett

D-Member
Kind of liked the boss battle for what it is, seems to be parry/dodge practice. :p It's no Cerberus, that's for sure. That was just too crazy for a game's first boss. :p

Also how do you do the spin attack when shooting? Whats it called?

Rainstorm. Hold shoot and jump at the same time. Can be done in the air and on the ground. Need to play it some more, there are several moves I missed.

ezekial45

Banned

Wow, you're so touchy today.

- Difficulty. It's waaaay too forgiving, even on Nephilim. I was really impressed with SoS mode, though.
- Maybe it's the FPS on the PS3 version, but I couldn't transfer into moves as easy as I thought I would be able to.
- Camera can be a bit weird when getting close to the walls.
- The poison boss fight was a bit too simple.
- PS3 demo gets me worried about the retail release.
- Parry system seems a bit OP. Plus, I feel they don't really give you much, since most of the time I was doing it on accident.
- And yes, I miss the taunt.
- Losing your rhythm in combat can be frustrating. If you lose it, then you'll be spending time to get back in your grove.

That's pretty much what I want to say. I don't repeat what Dahbomb or Jett mentioned earlier. I came away impressed with it. I dug it.

DT knock up is kinda lame.

Didn't Nero's DT do that?

Onemic

Got the demo. Gonna smoke a huge pile of green and then play the game. My desire to buy the game will be based on this one time experience. Wish me luck gaf.

Lucent

By paying for the unlock key on Steam.

That's...not cool. They're dumbing down the game.

Even DMC 4 looked better than this game and still ran way better.

Lazy developers simply buying and using an engine they don't know how to use properly. Seriously, I'm tired of seeing "made with Unreal" and then seeing crappy performance. The in-game combat isn't bad and is actually kind of fun and thrilling, but the cutscenes and stuff are a let down after seeing the trailers and previous DMC games.

ezekial45

Banned
Not really. I think there was a small uppercut when you activate DT? I don't remember. What I remember is that Nero's DT allowed you to air combo several enemies at once.

I honestly remember Nero's DT when activated would launch some enemies.

jett

D-Member
They should've just prerecorded all the cut-scenes like in Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, I wonder why they did it differently in this game. They don't run or look very good.

69.jpg

Five years ago FFS.

Reiko

Banned
They should've just prerecorded all the cut-scenes like in Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, I wonder why they did it differently in this game. They don't run or look very good.

69.jpg

Five years ago FFS.

Which means the PC version will be 60fps all the time. Cutscenes & Gameplay.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I mean it wasn't terrible. The levels look nice, but other than that the whole "package" is completely unappealing. From Dino's personality, to the horrendous dialogue, really that boss fight dialogue was painful, (I thought that's what NT was supposed to be good at?), "occupy" storyline, and bad camera.

Combat wasn't that bad. A hell of alot better than their previous dreck. It's obviously the best performing NT game there is (will test on PS3 next), so there's that as well.

Top Bottom