• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC5 is boring.

bilderberg

So i just finished the V stage and I think i'm about to call it quits. Who thought rolling your thumb back and forth across X and Y made for good combat? But it's not like the Nero stages have been much better. The hardest difficultly available at the start is Devil Hunter and it's just too god damn easy. It's right there with DMC2. If i'm not enjoying the game now, should I drop it? I will say visually it's one of the best looking games i've ever played. So that's nice.

Last edited:
Always found it interesting how much the internet went crazy for DMc5 and Kingdom Hearts 3 for both games to crater a week after release.
Well you gotta know that people these day buys stuff based on hype, and don't you dare criticize it you gotta get burn (specially if it has a Hideo Kojima printed on it), so yeah DMC & Kingdom Hearts is shit.

Shifty

If you're telling me V's portion is okay I can't believe you
V's portion is okay. His combat is just different as fuck and has a more limited ceiling than Nero and Dante.

I have a hard time believing that you've actually tried to engage with his mechanics if rolling your thumb over X and Y repeatedly is the height of your strategy.

Why are you asking if you should continue playing a game you're not enjoying? If you don't like it, turn the thing off.
Also this. You're gonna get people who loved it and people that hated it, and the likely outcome is another thread full of rabblefights.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
They got a point... if you’re not enjoying then you might as well stop.

i never enjoyed DMc, or Bayonetta, or the pre-PS4 god of war. I knew to not give a shit about DMCv.

I’ll never stop playing souls games for instance or a good souls knock off.

Remnant looks fucking amazing. The new update looks nice too. Online loot-souls?!?!?

NAaani!!!?

bilderberg

V's portion is okay. His combat is just different as fuck and has a more limited ceiling than Nero and Dante.

I have a hard time believing that you've actually tried to engage with his mechanics if rolling your thumb over X and Y repeatedly is the height of your strategy.

Also this. You're gonna get people who loved it and people that hated it, and the likely outcome is another thread full of rabblefights.

It's all the game has asked of me. You can't blame me for not engaging with his mechanics if the game doesn't force me too.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yup game was boring af
No lies told

after chapter 3 or 4 .
I was so bored

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

V's portion of the game is the worst part for me . It was interesting for a bit but after a while I just wanted to go back to guns and swords . If didn't enjoy Dante and Nero then just stop now and save yourself . The thing with the game you can beat devil hunter by just doing random stuff but at higher difficulty you have to learn the combat system because they will molliwop yo a$$ across the screen .

Shifty

It's all the game has asked of me. You can't blame me for not engaging with his mechanics if the game doesn't force me too.
Did you spend all of DMC3 using Trickster, Rebellion Combo A and Ebony/Ivory?

As for the difficulty, there's actually a way to unlock all of them right off the bat.
Play the prologue and beat Urizen - which isn't a scripted loss - and the game will unlock the next difficulty. Repeat until you hit either hit a wall or unlock DMD.

Last edited:

bilderberg

Did you spend all of DMC3 using Trickster, Rebellion Combo A and Ebony/Ivory?

As for the difficulty, there's actually a way to unlock all of them right off the bat.
Play Mission 1 on easy and beat Urizen. It's not a scripted loss and can be done without upgrades, though that's tricky.

No, but so what if I did? This is just something I have completely disagreed on with DMC fans. The combat in these games should stand up on it's own, regardless of how stylish or difficult the player wants to make it. My incentive for getting a high stylish rank should be to avoid dying, not just for the sake of getting a high score. I couldn't give two shits about rank or score. I'm here to beat the game, and if I can beat the game doing the most mundane trivial stuff that's a fault with the game, not me.

Now that isn't totally true on higher difficulties, but at least DMC1 and DMC3 were hard enough right from the start. I'll look for an unlock all difficulties cheat code because that may be the only thing saving this game at the moment.

Reyziak

Well it flopped so there’s that...
And you know this how? Seeing as how Capcom has stated that the game's sales have successfully reinvigorated the series. And we know that it sold past 2 million units(making it the best selling game of the franchise).

Whitesnake

Banned
Well it flopped so there’s that...

gKCWKA4.gif

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Don't worry so is Death Stranding apparently.

bilderberg

V’s part is definitely the weakest.

But you sound like someone who just spams the triangle button lmao.

If you don’t want to do stylish combos, maybe this just isn’t your kind of game?
It should be my kind of game. I enjoyed DMC1 and 3. And Ninja Gaiden Black and 2 are some of my favorite games ever made. There's no reason why I shouldn't inherently enjoy this game. It's funny how the fault must be with me for "spamming the triangle button" and not the games' which allows you to spam the triangle button. "Well you gotta play on the higher difficulties" well I can't because the game locks that away. "well you gotta go for rank" I don't care about rank. I shouldn't have to care about rank to enjoy a game.

Shifty

No, but so what if I did? This is just something I have completely disagreed on with DMC fans. The combat in these games should stand up on it's own, regardless of how stylish or difficult the player wants to make it. My incentive for getting a high stylish rank should be to avoid dying, not just for the sake of getting a high score.
I'm not sure I see this idea that the combat doesn't stand up on its own, given that the mechanics in 5 are easily the best in the series.

Anyway, point being that you need to explore the movelist and experiment with it in order to get the most out of the combat. The style system is there to incentivise that, and you can wilfully ignore it if you like, but at that point you're playing yourself. Why buy a game that predicates itself on sick combos if you aren't going to attempt sick combos?

And while it may not be your bag, the ranking system does offer material incentive in the form of extra upgrade currency. You can grow your moveset quicker if you style, which in turn allows you to style more, etc etc etc

I'm here to beat the game, and if I can beat the game doing the most mundane trivial stuff that's a fault with the game, not me.
What's your yardstick for measuring this against? Outside of Ninja Gaiden and Sekiro, I can't think of many character action / hack'n'slash titles that actively force the player not to do the basic combo over and over again. Heck, you can beat DMC1 and 3 that way if you're of the mind to do so.

The only DMC game that's ever straight up forced the player to use other tools is the reboot with its colour-matching enemies, and those were a total train wreck.

Now that isn't totally true on higher difficulties, but at least DMC1 and DMC3 were hard enough right from the start. I'll look for an unlock all difficulties cheat code because that may be the only thing saving this game at the moment.
I dunno if there's a code, but the spoiler tag in my last post has one method of getting early access to higher difficulties.

I finished DMC 3 Normal, Hard, Very hard, Dante must die (difficulty) was fucking ridiculous i gave up.
Preach. DMC3 Dante Must Die is a special kind of insane.

I hear god-tier players going on about how once you've finished DMD you'll never go back to non-ridiculous difficulties, but I didn't find that to be true. Once was enough for me, that shit at the end with the chessboard, boss rush, arkham and vergil is completely and totally off the chain.

bilderberg

According to Shifty Shifty you have to beat Urizen in the prologue to unlock higher difficulties. If you couldn't even do that why do you want to play on a higher difficulty for?
because i didn't try because it was obviously one of those "you're supposed to die boss battles." But fuck me, I probably couldn't beat it anyway. I'm nothing but a god damn fraud.

If the game doesn't force you to do a combo why would you?

because DMC fans expect you to SSS rank every level on DMD difficulty before you can really "get" the combat.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
The gameplay is tight, music is nice, great fan service, and the characters are interesting, but the UI, load times for every single thing and the level design feels archaic. I was disappointed by the level design especially midway till the end. People like to give DMC 4 a lot of hate for it's level design and the backtracking galore, and DMC 5 never felt any better in that regard.

Last edited:

Shifty

The gameplay is tight, music is nice, great fan service, and the characters are interesting, but the UI, load times for every single thing and the level design feels archaic. I was disappointed by the level design especially midway till the end. People like to give DMC 4 a lot of hate for it's level design and the backtracking galore, and DMC V never felt any better in that regard.
Now the honeymoon phase is over, yeah, the level design isn't the best. 1 and 3 have it soundly beaten, but at least 5 isn't half a game mirrored to resemble a whole one like 4 was
3IIe2Pf.png

Whitesnake

Banned
OP is the reason you’re so salty at the game is that it gave you a “dismal“ rating for every encounter and a D or C for every mission and now you’re mad that the game’s been clowning on you for spamming triangle?

bilderberg

Bruh there’s a fucking chapter select on the main menu
how am i supposed to know i can fucking resume where i'm at? Chapter select doesn't mean all the levels are available to you at any difficulty. Did you play the previous DMC games? You can't just start a new game on DMD and immediately choose the last stage at that difficulty.

OP is the reason you’re so salty at the game is that it gave you a “dismal“ rating for every encounter and a D or C for every mission and now you’re mad that the game’s been clowning on you for spamming triangle?

yea, my grades were too bad. Stupid game punishing me because it's too easy.

Last edited:

Shifty

how am i supposed to know i can fucking resume where i'm at? Chapter select doesn't mean all the levels are available to you at any difficulty. Did you play the previous DMC games? You can't just start a new game on DMD and immediately choose the last stage at that difficulty.
3, 4 and 5 all have mission selects that unlock missions for a given difficulty as you reach them in the campaign. You continue by picking the last one you unlocked.

(Though 3 is the only game to dump you straight into mission select upon loading a save.)

Last edited:

Soltype

No, but so what if I did? This is just something I have completely disagreed on with DMC fans. The combat in these games should stand up on it's own, regardless of how stylish or difficult the player wants to make it. My incentive for getting a high stylish rank should be to avoid dying, not just for the sake of getting a high score. I couldn't give two shits about rank or score. I'm here to beat the game, and if I can beat the game doing the most mundane trivial stuff that's a fault with the game, not me.

I hate to admit it because I really like the series, but you're right. Games that have crazy combo systems should have their difficulty tied to it, e.g like Tony Hawk Pro Skater.

Shifty

I hate to admit it because I really like the series, but you're right. Games that have crazy combo systems should have their difficulty tied to it, e.g like Tony Hawk Pro Skater.
How would you structure that though? Score-based success works in Tony Hawk because it's a sandbox, and points can be generated directly from your moveset rather than your moveset's interaction with enemies. You can theoretically go forever if you never break combo.

You'd be hard-pressed to make a character action game in that mold without falling back on infinitely respawning enemies, at which point you've effectively made Bloody Palace with bigger levels and some map-specific setpieces.

I disagree in a general sense because it's unreasonable to say an entire genre should reinvent itself as an arcade game just because you don't dig ranking systems, but sandbox-style character action is an interesting idea in its own right that could use some exploring.

Last edited:

Oddspeak

If all games were criticized based on the minimum amount of effort allowed to beat them, then most would be considered pretty shit. I'd rather a game allowed me to be lazy when I wanted than put a gun to my head and force me to take the most frustrating path or suck the fun out of deciding of my own volition to learn how to play optimally.

bilderberg

How would you structure that though? Score-based success works in Tony Hawk because it's a sandbox, and points can be generated directly from your moveset rather than your moveset's interaction with enemies. You can theoretically go forever if you never break combo.

You'd be hard-pressed to make a character action game in that mold without falling back on infinitely respawning enemies, at which point you've just made Bloody Palace with bigger levels and some map-specific setpieces.

I disagree in a general sense because it's unreasonable to say an entire genre should reinvent itself as an arcade game just because you don't dig ranking systems, but sandbox-style character action is an interesting idea in its own right that could use some exploring.

Ninja Gaiden 1 or 2. The games give you a fighting game's worth of moves for every weapon's move list and your incentive for learning each weapon isn't necessarily to get a higher score, but to make you more powerful to get through the game. You can't just "y....y,y. y,y,y,y,y" in those games. DMC fans seem to think that's a fault with the player and not the game its self. This is an issue for me in every DMC game, much less of an issue for DMC 1 and 3 because those games were at least challenging enough that you would naturally expand your move list, and because the exploration in those games were good. People clown on DMC2 because the guns are over powered, but why not just avoid using them?

Or what if you could beat Metal Gear Rising without ever needing to parry? If the game only penalized you through score for not parrying, but never enough to actually make the game too difficult wouldn't you see that as a problem?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The combat system in this game designed around any skill level able to play them and have fun and for people want more depth there is deep combat system and higher difficulty. If you don't want to engage with combat system thats mostly on you not the game.

Keihart

It should be my kind of game. I enjoyed DMC1 and 3. And Ninja Gaiden Black and 2 are some of my favorite games ever made. There's no reason why I shouldn't inherently enjoy this game. It's funny how the fault must be with me for "spamming the triangle button" and not the games' which allows you to spam the triangle button. "Well you gotta play on the higher difficulties" well I can't because the game locks that away. "well you gotta go for rank" I don't care about rank. I shouldn't have to care about rank to enjoy a game.
if you were good enough to not get your ass kicked in the first boss fight you can actually unlock the other difficulties, you failed the test so you just get "devil hunter".

Keihart

The combat system in this game designed around any skill level able to play them and have fun and for people want more depth there is deep combat system and higher difficulty. If you don't want to engage with combat system thats mostly on you not the game.

Talking about combat and difficulty, i would say that Godhand somehow allows you to get punished the better you play. That game is stylish and hard.

bilderberg

it's not mostly on me, i've already given my argument.

bilderberg

if you were good enough to not get your ass kicked in the first boss fight you can actually unlock the other difficulties, you failed the test so you just get "devil hunter".
Too good to have not died once through 6 missions, not good enough to have beaten a special boss on the first try; that's telegraphed you're supposed to lose btw. Hmmm...better make the game piss easy than. Great idea.

Keihart

Too good to have not died once through 6 missions, not good enough to have beaten a special boss on the first try; that's telegraphed you're supposed to lose btw. Hmmm...better make the game piss easy than. Great idea.
I don't think i was the only one beating him by accident on the first run by sheer stubbornness, you can go back and do it too, but if the mechanics and freedom of the combat are not appealing to you then there is nothing else for you in DMCV, the game is all about the mechanics this time, tying even the story beats to character progression.
Best Devil May Cry for me, mechanically it gets just bonkers, you won't stop unlocking new skills until the credits roll.

Neff

The game is far, far too easy, even on Son of Sparda. The gameplay isn't as fast, responsive, and satisfying as previous games. The level design is contemptibly straightforward in terms of environmental complexity and situational variety. V's play style is basically the same at the end of the game as it is at the beginning and guarantees victory/SSS with little effort. The incessant and lengthy loading is a pain. The story isn't nearly good enough to warrant the self-indulgent back-and-forth timeline jumping. Removing the fixed camera angles robs the series of a surprising amount of its style and personality.

I enjoyed it for the first couple of runs. By the third run I questioned why I was playing it. It had stopped being fun, whereas I can still put on DMC1, 3 and 4 and have a great time, any time.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I liked it and I'm not a hardcore DMC fan. Dante and Nero are a lot of fun to play with. V is just awful. As long as I wasn't playing V I was really enjoying it. I thought the combat was a lot of fun and I liked racking up combos, especially with Dante.

Top Bottom