• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do bosses with multiple life bars annoy anyone else?

sn00zer

Kingdom hearts actually has the best system. It tricks you into thinking your always doing a lot of damage as you waste through life bars. I much prefer it to small chipping

I hate more the bosses with no health bars aka god of war.

This so much, there is nothing worse fighting a boss wondering if what your doing is having any effect on it. Gears 1 final boss being the worst imo.

I like multiple boss health bars as usually it means the boss has multiple forms or major changes in strategy.

They're pretty good in KH2. Yeah they're multiple, but it has indicators to show how many you've burned through. Plus when you're doing the extra bosses at lvl99 blowing through those life bars in a few hits feel real good. I do remember thinking they sucked in the first KH, because it was just color coded. It especially suck for fucking Sephiroth who basically had an invisible health bar and it didn't seem like you were doing shit.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
*snip*[/SPOILER]

Does anyone prefer or see the point to bosses with multiple life bars?

I did a design study while prototyping a game some time back(years ago actually)

We tested a couple ways to give feadback to the player about boss health.
Note for each test it was the exact same boss with the exact same amount of health.

• Nothing - Just let them keep figintg till the boss drops - Players hated this. Few loved...yeah loved it because the mystery of not knowing if the next hit will drop him kept them firing away...but generally the team hated it, one guy actually asked if it was just a random hit that makes the boss drop.

• Visual reference - Boss has no health bar, but as you damage him you can see that he is getting more and more hurt.....worked with lower health bosses, but high health bosses players actually just lost interest (possibly our damged looks werent visual enough) because they could tell how far from victory they were

• Single health bar - Hits will deplete the health bar so little that players started feeling like their efforts were worthless, or that the battle was super long

• Multiple Health bars - Hits on each health bar take a decent chunk, giving players instant gratification. And depleting each health bar could reward players with health, checkpoint, weapons, new boss forms etc etc. This method was the one players liked the most.

• Super Long Health Bar - Chunks comparable to Multiple Health bars get depeleted with hits. Players liked this one too because they immedietely knew this character is a badass cuz his health bar is much longer than others, but still felt like the work they were putting in was actually doing something because the health chunks were decent when they attacked. This was the second most popular in our tests

• Mutliple Health bars on top of each other - Same as above, the opinions on this one were positive as well, but it ends up taking up HUD space unnecessarily.

Tagyhag

I liked the colored life bars of the bosses in Final Fight, cause you'd see a color you never saw before after each one and once it got the color of the previous boss you'd know exactly how much you have left.

It was a good way to see how stronger each one was than the one before it.

And cheaper.

Trojan X

Banned
No, they are useful for indicating when you are going to enter phase 2 or phase 3 of the fight.

This.

Please try to see things differently, OP. This kind of life bars are usually (supposedly) used as a checkpoint indicator and communicators for pattern change and form-transformation. Games that doesn't do this are usually the one from devs that never understood it and put long life bars for the sake of it.

Hoped you learned something new.

Walpurgis

Banned
I think some enemies in Dragon's Dogma had multiple health bars but there was a HUD indicator showing exactly how many bars an enemy had.

bonkeng

Yiazmat from FFXII would like to say hello. If I recall correctly he has 50 Million HP, and each bar has 1m.

It's a good thing that he is one of the easiest super bosses in Final Fantasy games. Otherwise, that 50m hp wouldn't be necessary at all.

BroBot

468px-Optional_boss_01.jpg

Why Sephiroth, why...

Adaren

I'd prefer it to having a single lifebar that drains over ~5 minutes. There's simply too little impact per hit. Bayonetta 2 has that problem with big enemies, and it makes each attack feel weak.

IvorB

Some creatures on Bitterblack Isle in Dragon's Dogma had about ten health bars and they weren't even bosses.

Crayolan

I found the layered health bars to be really annoying in W101.

That's for sure. Friggin' Paper Mario TTYD. Still never beat the game.

In TTYD all bosses which heal only do so at a specific point in the fight, usually to signal a phase change. I don't see that as "self-healing" so much as having a bigger health bar than you're initially shown.

PM64's bosses have actual self-healing where they have attacks which heal themselves which they can throw out at any time they feel, which is much more obnoxious, at least for me. On the bright side, since their heals are just another attack, they can be skipped altogether if you charge up enough damage to kill the boss from near full health in a single turn.

Yiazmat is the true winner of this thread lol

every dot under his healthbar is another bar. he even has a move to fully reheal himself if you put it in a certain situation. T.T

final_fantasy_xii_hd_screenshot___yiazmat_by_gintoki333sakata-d5xuc3d.jpg

I don't mind it but when the extra HP bars are not clear enough that's annoying, you think you're about to finish but NOPE extra HP bar out of nowhere appears.

BouncyFrag

I'm more annoyed by bosses who jump out of reach and summon a wave or two of baddies for you to dispatch while the boss is throwing down AOEs. Dragon Age 2 first comes to mind.

KH specifically is not much of a problem because when bosses start to get dumb amount of health bars you will be depleting a single health bar relatively fast.

KH1 was a little worse since instead of little pips indicating how many bars there was left, the bars would just overlap one another and change color, like a beat'em up, so you had to know the colors to know how much health the boss had.

But overall, I prefer this to the percentage bar from MGR (although I do think the percentage bar worked better in that game specifically), because since the bars are always consistent throughout every enemy in the game, it means I can keep trying stuff out to see what will deal the most damage, instead of seeing things that will only apply to one enemy.

What bothers me is when a boss has one health bar, you whittle it down to 0, then it refills back up. I prefer having multiple health bars, especially ones overlaid on top of each other (yellow health bar on top, when that goes down you see a green bar underneath, then the green bar empties and becomes transparent).

Puru

If it's used as an indication for pattern changes i'm fine with it, even if i'd rather have a single bar.
If it's a rare occasion where the boss hasn't displayed his final form leading to the bar refilling itself (final boss in general) i'm fine with it aswell.

Personally i have more an issue with boss that heals and/or summon adds, it can be interesting and offer fun counter mechanics but it's generally not the case.

BouncyFrag

I hate it more when I defeat the boss only to have him escape or win in the cutscene afterwards.
Kai Leng in Mass Effect 3 is the absolute worst. Your interactions with him are just as bad as the whole ending debacle making Thane's quip about him even more wonderful:
He let a terminally ill drell get in the way of him taking out his target.
salute.gif

I prefer multiple health bars over a single one. The visual feedback feels much better when you deplete the bars much quicker, instead of seeing one bar slowly drain.

As already mentioned, most games that do them well have them labeled anyways. I actually like it when it's done on the player as well, like in Metroid games.

Edzi

I don't mind it, and in some cases it does a good job of intimidating you (as a good boss should). Sephiroth from KH1 is my favorite example, since he had so many life bars that the game didn't even display the first few. KH2 Sephiroth had a similar effect, but not as good.

Mupod

I'd like to see a really organic approach to 'no health bar'. Monster Hunter does this but the tells are often too subtle to pick up on during your first couple fights with a monster, as they are mostly related to how often it enrages.

The animation work and battle damage on the character model are what make this kind of thing unreasonably difficult for the 'payoff' so to speak. But I want to see it done well in a game with truly great boss fights.

Nope because it gives me an idea of how longer I'm gonna be fighting the boss and prefer it vastly over super long HP bars.

PSqueak

Banned
As long as there is an indication of the massive amount of life, i don't mind.

As an example, i'll use the SRW series.

People find annoying that in later games bosses have inflated life points, i don't mind, because at least you have an idea of how much HP the boss has, contrast with SRW @ gaiden, in which bosses have small HP, but instead GET FULLY RECOVERED a bunch of times as their HP reaches zero, it's absolutely annoying because it trolls you with your resource management, you unload all your heavy stuff thinking you're finnaly gonna destroy the boss, no, whoops, he healed again! haha! i bet you didn't expect this Boss regenerating for a 4th time, did you?!

Soodanim

Yiazmat from FFXII would like to say hello. If I recall correctly he has 50 Million HP, and each bar has 1m.
This is what I came to find/post. Post 7, not bad. I'd always mention it as the ultimate, but there's almost certainly some MMO boss that has already been posted that beats it.

RedX

No, they are useful for indicating when you are going to enter phase 2 or phase 3 of the fight.

Basically this. In KH at least, when I see that I'm about to finish a bar or am half-way through the boss' hp, I can prepare myself for even more powerful and fast attacks. Helps me manage things like getting my cures ready.

Psxphile

IrByMio.png

First in a long line of bosses pulling bullshit in BoF1. What's even the point of giving them a visible life bar if you're just going to ignore it when it's depleted?

MegaPanda

I like having multiple bars vs a single or elongated bar that's scaled to fit. Helps me keep track of how much damage I'm actually inflicting to the dude in relation to everything else

PSqueak

Banned
That shark boss form Viewtiful Joe had multiple health bars and healing

But at least when you figure his schtick out (ie, make him chase you out of water where he takes a ton of damage), he becomes incredibly easy.

I liked that about VJ bosses, they seem like bullshit at first but they all have weaknesses you can figure out to level the playfield.

The first time i defeated Fire Leo it took ages because i brute forced my way thru the fight, it was possible to win, but figuring his weakness by dodging his attacks made it easier while still challenging.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It's frustrating when you have different color indicators depending on how much life is remaining in the lifebar (Streets of Rage, SoulBlazer, FF Type-0 all do this)... I always forget the order of the colors... "oh, does green come before cyan? and then yellow is the last one?"

Haunted

It's frustrating when you have different color indicators depending on how much life is remaining in the lifebar (Streets of Rage, SoulBlazer, FF Type-0 all do this)... I always forget the order of the colors... "oh, does green come before cyan? and then yellow is the last one?"
Yep, it feels like I've had several Japanese games which did that recently.

Several coloured HP bars are fucking useless, they don't tell me anything until I'm at the last one.

I hate it more when I defeat the boss only to have him escape or win in the cutscene afterwards.

Ding ding ding

I usually hate this. Write the story so the inevitable conclusion of a fight matches what's about to happen in the story, instead of having me beat a guy and then he suddenly blows me away in the following cutscene.

There are exceptions to this, but it's usually annoying.

As for OP, multiple life bars are part of lots of awesome games, doesn't bother me.

Pinky

Banned
What the actual f***?? Surely there's some weapon or spell or item that makes it lose 1m HP each time???

Highly doubtful. Best bet to take him down super fast would be to use a pro action replay or some other cheat device.

Top Bottom