• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you actually even play backwards compatible games or is it just a meme ?

paypay88

Banned
What i mean games from gens before(not PS4-XOne games) but who in mind buys 500$+ systems to play some PS2 era or PS3 games on them ?
They look / feel / sound very outdated. All archaic gameplay concepts , no subtitles , no quicksave , lots of unskippable cutscenes, broken resolutions , mostly not working rumbles , game design principles that outdated as hell - collect 100 of this 100 of that , audio quality sounding like subpar pirate mp3 files. I could go on forever but i really dont see playing old ass games on 4K TVs anymore.

Those games were good for their time but without a proper remaster / remake it makes no sense to me to replay/play first time them.

What do you think ? I rather spent my time on new games and not like there is a shortage of good games that are modern. PS4-PS5 games indies etc. Fuck me if i could even find to complete my backlog of great games from this gen let alone playing old ass games

qLLDLtcHHeyqH93Bpkxcsf-1200-80.jpg

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm playing Fallout 3 on my $500 console and loving it even more with no more loading screens, freezes, crashes or dropped frame rates.

I also plan to play through the Dead Space Trilogy in the near future too after I play some of the new games. I played and really enjoyed tons of older games on my X1X. I won't be buying the Mass Effect remaster since I already have it and played it through Xbox BC.

Choices are FAR superior to a lack of choices or buying a game multiple times.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sometimes I am too drained to get into "complexity" of current games, I just want some simplicity of past games. Fast of access plays a role to obviously, which now is going to be different, but I don't know, there are particular old games, which are timeless for me. So yeah I use this on PC and Xbox quite a lot. Also on Vita I played a tom of old games.

I do tons.

Nobody is buying a new gen. console for, as in only, BC, but it is an incredibly awesome way to experience games you missed, or re-experience a game you loved from another generation. Why some act like this is a bad thing I'll never know, but they couldn't be more wrong. Regardless if one doesn't use the feature its inclusion is a great thing for gamers and gaming on the whole.

Much praise goes to Microsoft for brining back something that other platform holders had begun to ignore. They restarted this conversation about game libraries coming with you to a new generation and I, and many other gamers, are thankful for that. Frankly, it should never have gone away, and never going forward should there exist a system that doesn't feature BC with the previous console's game library.

Last edited:
I have been, not all the time of course but games like full spectrum warrior, great game which i missed playing since I got rid of the original xbox, has been fun to jump on to for a few games.
Also RDR absolutely loved that game but got rid of the 360 when the One came out, so was good to get back on that.
Good games are good games no matter how old they get.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I regularly play BC games on One X and I don't see that stopping when I ultimately move to Series X. I've been playing OG Battlefront bot matches a lot lately and it's still as much fun as it was way back then. I played through Kameo again about a month ago and it's great to have the Mass Effect trilogy sitting on my external drive ready to go.

A game doesn't stop being fun because it got old. I love that I have all of these games available when I want to go back and play them.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I'll often play older titles. Despite some outdated aspects, there's plenty that do certain things much better than even its more recent counterparts.
Games like Blood or Original Deus Ex for example have much better level design than many modern shooters.
In fact, even attention to detail and visuals can be superior in some cases.

In short, a game being older doesn't automatically make it worse than a modern one.
In fact, i really don't get this idea some have that they should just play the newest stuff. Good games are still good.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
All the time. Even more now with quick resume. I jump back and forth between new and old. I imagine the next innovation from Microsoft would be some universal "save game state" feature for BC titles. Wouldn't surprise me with all the other magic they've pulled.

Your entire argument is, frankly, ludicrous. You lump all games together into an "old = bad" argument. Imagine if we did that with other media? Why listen to music older than a decade? Why watch movies older than a decade? Why read books?

Can you imagine how culturally poor we would be? And this is the main problem with not having BC. We lose a bit of our culture, because to most people it is inaccessible.

I really hope Sony gets their head in the right place eventually. If they provided full BC support all the way back to PS1, it would give you access to some of the finest games every created.

I'd suggest Nintendo do the same, but with all their different formats over the years, it's a moot point.

Gravemind

I play them all the time. Usually during stretches were there arent new games coming out that I'm really interested. I mostly play older RPGs when I do. I just went back and completed the original Mass Effect a couple weeks ago. Might start KOTOR and KOTOR 2 in the spring.

B0xel-new

Neo Member
Not once have I had the urge to play/re-play anything from PS1/PS2 era. But then again I've never had the urge to fuck a pig and I know for a fact there's at least 5 people who do...my point is, I'm sure there are lots of people who do use BC. To each their own.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I still play on my ps3. I'd give anything to have xbox backwards compat on playstation. It's great
I have a ton of digital games on my PS3 slim that I would love to bring forward to a PS5. I bought another PS3 when Sony discontinued the slim that I downloaded my stuff to and put in storage in case my main one breaks so that I can keep playing some of these games. My frustration now is how difficult it is to find decent controllers for it. Which is another problem that could be solved by a BC solution.

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Playing PS4 games on the PS5 is a no-brainer that being said I have a stack of PS2 games I'd love to play on the 5. I don't care about trophy support.

Portugeezer

I still have Tsushima to play and it will be on PS5 for sure. The uncapped 60fps option is a nice bonus. The improved performance in games definitely makes the BC more enticing.

Last edited:

jose4gg

I didn't think I would do it, but because Gamepass and PS collection exists, there can be a couple of masterpieces that I might haven't finished and now I can play it on my new machine with better framerate, so yeah, it's a good selling point if it comes with a way to play games without "paying" for them. You end up paying in a way, but I don't think I would've paid for an old game with a PS5 or an XSX.

Only really use it on older systems. For example, If I plug in the WiiU I don't need to bother with the Wii as it all just works. I got no qualms with just connecting the old system myself, but the way the Series X/S & PS5 offer palpable improvements at least makes it interesting to use on those

Duchess

I've put off playing Ghost of Tsushima and DOOM Eternal because I want to play them on PS5 with the enhancements. So I guess that counts?

I also plan to replay a bunch of PS4 games later down the line on the PS5.

cireza

I spend more time playing games from previous gen than games for the current gen. That's because only so many interesting games get released.

Every time a new game that has my interest is released, I play it, enjoy it (or not), and it gets into my huge list of "games I like and will replay one of these days". And when I am done playing this new game, I go back to picking games in this list, this game becoming a candidate.

Many games are timeless and don't age. Stop wasting time and money doing useless remasters already. Make the games BC and call it a day.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
When I played on xbox 360 I played lots of x360 games.

Newer games sucks anyway and I never really experienced halo, army of two and other console only games.

I often buy games on gog from my childhood but I rarely play them lol. I just love online games.

Yes, and no.

Yes, because I literally just bought old games like Max Payne 3, Quantum Break, and Ryse on Steam. And I do intend to play games that run like ass the last gen (Days Gone, The Last Guardian) on the PS5.

No, because I only play old games on PC, and wouldn't spend a dime on playing BC games on PS5 - only those I already owned.

Last edited:
I just recently bought the entire Splinter Cell series on sale digitally for about $40 and played through em all. (Chaos Theory is amazing)

Currently playing the Halo series coop with my partner on XSX. For new releases, I recently finished Miles Morales and am currently working on Demon's Souls remake.

BC is awesome. I just play whatever tickles my fancy, and my fancy is easily tickled.

Gandih42

Dark Cloud with trophy support is really good!

I've been waiting to go back to that one for so fuckin' long. Was never able to get an European version back in the day, so every time I played it I had to bust out my 'Magic' cd swap hack thingymajig to play the American version. Sucked ass, but god did I love that game. Since I won't be able to get a PS5 anyway, maybe that will be a good candidate to play over christmas.

And in regards to OP, I play games from PS1-3 eras that I can get digitally. Doesn't really matter to me when a game is from, if there is a good game I'd like to play I'll play it. It's nice that whatever machine I have is able to do that. I find it rare that those games really need an actual remaster. But most of the time I'm playing current gen games, too many of those I haven't played yet.

Holammer

What do you think ? I rather spent my time on new games and not like there is a shortage of good games that are modern. PS4-PS5 games indies etc. Fuck me if i could even find to complete my backlog of great games from this gen let alone playing old ass games

I'll compare BC to emulation and I've played games on emulators since 1998, so yes.
I'm playing Paper Mario on N64 right now.

Fbh

Absolutely. At least on PC I've regularly purchased older games I originally played on consoles.
It's always a joy going back to older games you love and getting to play them with enhanced visuals or performance that wasn't available when the game first launched. It can often be transformative or at least really enhance the experience. Go play Vanquish on a Ps3 in 720p at 30fps with drops and then go play it on PC at 1080p+ and 60fps+. It's a vastly enhanced experience.

Also, I think you are confusing people wanting and liking backwards compatibility with "people spending $500 on a new console just to play old games".
I like my cars having AC because it's nice on hot summer days....but I don't spend $15k on a car JUST for the AC

Last edited:
Top Bottom