• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you actually even play backwards compatible games or is it just a meme ?

DelireMan7

This year I 've done Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii, Assassin's Creed 1 to 3 and Demon's Souls on PS3, Final Fantasy XII and Baldur's Gate (It outclass everything I've played since Dark Souls/Bloodborne and I'll definitely go for BG2) on PS4.

There are some really awesome old games. It's not you're stuff that's all.
Me I enjoy (re)discovering games I missed at their release. (I'll play all big hit of the last 2 years in the coming years...)

-Minsc-

No. Though this is due to me not playing any games at the moment. I can see the argument for and against buying a remastered game over BC. Prettier graphics being a plus. A down side can be when the game play is changed and loses the appeal of the old. Not everybody likes modern gameplay mechanics.

As I reflect more, I've only rarely used backwards compatibility. It is something I don't see myself using much if I were playing games. Still a great feature to have for those who want it.

CeeJay

There is nothing archaic about the PS360 generation. It was to a large extent the golden generation where games were technically and mechanically advanced enough to play very similar to the most modern and recent games but without being riddled with all the negative stuff that plagues modern AAA games such as micro-transactions, SJW agendas, dumbed down mechanics, hand holding to cater to the lowest common denominator and all with a buy now patch later attitude. There are many many games from that era that are much better than any of their later incarnations such as Mass Effect, Fallout, COD, Skateboarding games, Sports games, Halo, Last of Us... The list goes on and on.

Maybe the graphics are not as great but what with diminishing returns there is a way smaller different between gen 7 and 9 as there was between say 5 and 7. Also with Xbox at least, every game you play from gen 7 and 8 will play a lot better on the gen 9 consoles. There has never been a better time to enjoy these old games than right now.

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah definitely going to play many of the PS+ collection games when I have a lull, as I don't expect too many awesome PS5 freebies from + for a good while.

And I have a few games on disc that I'll revisit at some point, why would I not prefer to play them on the console that will give you a little performance boost

Hugare

There are millions of people across the world that download emulators,configure them up, rip their games (or download ROMs) only to play those old ass games

And you think that BC wouldnt be important?

"Those games were good for their time but without a proper remaster / remake it makes no sense to me to replay/play first time them. "

It's like saying that you wouldn't watch The Godfather because it's not in 4k resolution with HDR

One of the worst opinions that I've seen yet on this site

Tsukumo

How old are you OP? Because from my over40 top of the mountain all I see is games as a service plaguing all the uncanny valley down below. I play game for story, setting and overall feel of the experience. The PS3 xbox 360 age of games was something incredible: the west finally stopped imitating japanese games and hollywood movies, delivering stuff like Gears of War, Bioshock, the Darkenss, the Last of Us, Arkham City, Dead Space. Unless you are a die-hard nintendo fan you are going to have a hard time defending any position trying to prove this generation has anything to offer on the same quality scale of PS3 and 360.

Rubik8

There are a few games that haven’t been remastered or superseded by superior sequels that I still want to play. But every time I fire up an old console I’m reminded how awful they look now and how they lack many modern quality of life features. Even with improved performance or small graphical improvements, I’m probably not going to play anything prior to last generation (PS4/Xbone) very often. My old consoles will stay hooked up in my man cave forever, but based on how often I play them, I guess I don’t really care much about old games.

Pidull

Recently, the majority of my gaming has been playing backwards compatible titles on my Xbox One X.

I just played Perfect Dark Zero and the original Perfect Dark. I also recently played Prince of Persia 2008 on it (a forgotten gem ahead of its time).

A game club I participate in will be playing Final Fantasy VI soon, so I'll be playing that via Virtual Console.

I don't feel the need to spend $60-70 on brand new games when I have hundreds of hours of excellent older games in my backlog still, games which I've bought for $5-15.

RAIDEN1

Hell no it's no meme! Shaolin Monks hasn't been bettered to this day, neither has Panzer Dragooon Orta, Or Top-Spin...the NFS Remaster released this month is the best NFS game since 2010! Driver San Francisco is still as good today as it was in 2011 !

Chastten

Banned
It's not like I'd use it daily during the console's lifespan but it could definitely be a selling point for me.

I recently saw footage in another thread of Panzer Dragoon Orta running on an Xbox One X and that looked incredible. Being able to play that game with better IQ and without having to hook up my Xbox is a bigger selling point for me to get a new console, than any game out for XSX/PS5 right now.

Neo_game

IMO there is nothing wrong in remakes. So classic games with high res textures and RT can still look good. Something they should consider. But otherwise really old games are irrelevant and just for nostalgia

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
From time to time I enjoy playing older games, specially if they are short. For example I replayed Metal Gear Rising not long ago, or Knee deep in the dead from DOOM just this morning. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

So yeah, if I had a console I for sure will be using the back compat feats.

I will never understand not wanting to have access to all the games you own? To me, BC is an essential part of gaming. Hell, I still play Caesar III. Yes, I’m all for new games and moving towards the future but there’s so many games I’ve yet to play from yesteryear and having the opportunity to not miss out on eventually playing them is great to me.

I recently went and played Gears 1-3 and had a blast again. Other Older titles I have popped in to play and see how they preformed for entertainment. Some older titles look more "crips" thanks to the One X enhancements

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think outside of Astrobot and Demon's Souls, I've played nothing BUT backwards compatible games. :p

I like the idea of building a digital gaming library. If all of my Xbox One purchases were unplayable on the Xbox Series X, I probably wouldn't have bought one. To a lesser extent, this is also true of the PlayStation 5 - although I'm still salty about buying a bunch of PS1, PS2, and PS3 games on PSN (that were playable on the PS3) and having them essentially gone to the ether.

I have a pretty high level of confidence that the new things I buy today will be playable in a decade on the Xbox 5 or PlayStation 6, and that's a big deal for me.

BootsLoader

Banned
I don’t give a flying fuck for BC. When I want to play a game I play it on its original console. That’s all.

point decay

since the first lockdown I've gone back through the Dead Space trilogy, Mass Effect trilogy and currently finishing off the first Red Dead all on BC, I dont see it being any different than watching an old movie or playing an old album.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Sure we do, we're enthusiasts.

I'm betting the general consumer does not.

I came here to post this. Most of us definitely do, but to the average consumer, no. Services like PSNOW are a good middle ground for a lot of people, yet the infrastructure is not there yet.

Andodalf

Banned
First game I played on my ps5 was Spider-Man 2018. Then I played the Nathan Drake collection.

Old games are the best

DelireMan7

although I'm still salty about buying a bunch of PS1, PS2, and PS3 games on PSN (that were playable on the PS3) and having them essentially gone to the ether.

I am also baffled by this. I have several PS1 classic on PS3, via PSN , and still several I'd like to play (Also Please release Chrono Cross on Europe... Don't get why it's not available in this all digital era). It's a shame they are blocked to the PS3 gen. Would be nice to keep them at each new gen.

Saruhashi

Banned
What i mean games from gens before(not PS4-XOne games) but who in mind buys 500$+ systems to play some PS2 era or PS3 games on them ?
They look / feel / sound very outdated. All archaic gameplay concepts , no subtitles , no quicksave , lots of unskippable cutscenes, broken resolutions , mostly not working rumbles , game design principles that outdated as hell - collect 100 of this 100 of that , audio quality sounding like subpar pirate mp3 files. I could go on forever but i really dont see playing old ass games on 4K TVs anymore.

Those games were good for their time but without a proper remaster / remake it makes no sense to me to replay/play first time them.

What do you think ? I rather spent my time on new games and not like there is a shortage of good games that are modern. PS4-PS5 games indies etc. Fuck me if i could even find to complete my backlog of great games from this gen let alone playing old ass games

qLLDLtcHHeyqH93Bpkxcsf-1200-80.jpg

Where do you even start with this?

First off remasters and remakes are the domain of publishers with no new ideas or developers with no faith in their own unique talents. Or maybe they just want to get something out there quick and easy and with a recognised brand name.

I'd rather play a homage or fresh take on an old idea over a remaster or remake. Fucksakes even a sequel or prequel or spin off us better than a remaster or remake.

Old games are awesome and playing old games is awesome. Revisiting old originals is a nice nostalgia trip or history lesson.

If I buy a new console I want to keep the ability to revisit old stuff. Even if I have to pay, that's fine. Just make more of the old stuff accessible on modern systems please.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
I do early in a generation as I’m usually still playing last gen games and have more I want to get to. It’s nice to be able to sell off the old console to get some cash to offset the next gen upgrade cost and free uo an HDMI input and still be able to play last gen games.

Its nkt a deal breaker though as I don’t collect and rarely replay games so I rarely use it after the first year or two once I’ve finished any last gen games I cared to play.

GAMETA

Banned
Yep, I play SNES games all the time, GBA and DS too. Same for old fighting games on Saturn/MAME, some PS1 RPGs... Then the usual Zelda OoT, Mario Kart 64, Castlevania, etc...

There are great experiences to be had with older games, man... I don't usually play the same ones over and over, but there's always a franchised you didn't get the chance to try or something like that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The importance of BC is proportionate to quality and quantity of new games coming out. Its a definite plus, but in an ideal world it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Kev Kev

i just dont play video games as much as i used to

when i was younger, i played way more, so BC was important to me. back in thelate 2000's and 2010's, with the new machines being hit or miss on BC, i was pissed about it. but now i dont care as much bc i dont play as much.

BUT i still love that is is an option as i tend to play the same old games whenever i do some gaming so... it doe matter to me.

Esppiral

I do still play Psx and gen 6 games frequently even if I own a crazy backlog of current gen games, Why? Because they are great.

This attitude towards "old" Stuff makes me feel that it comes from teenagers that consider anything older than 10 years old and BAD.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Put a bunch of time into Days Gone already on PS5; looking forward to getting back into Ghosts of Tsushima soon... eventually will play TLOU 2.

Naturally in the first year or so I'll probably spend the majority of PS5 time on PS4 games.

Love the BC + improvements "trend" that seems to have stuck now. And thankfully Sony adopted it, because... I have no Xbox backlog lol

Agent X

I do. I've been using backward compatibility ever since the Atari 7800 could play Atari 2600 games...which was a really good thing in the early days of the 7800, since they were so slow in releasing 7800-specific games for the first 2 years.

I still have my PS3 hooked up for PS1/PS2 games, and my GBASP is useful for GB/GBC games.

I play ps2 classics on the ps4, I also play ps1 games pretty often (using an emulator on my PC).

I have a few downloadable PS2 games for PS4, and a good number of downloadable PS1 games for PS3/PSP/Vita but I don't consider those situations to be "backward compatibility".

Sony should pay more attention to their legacy.

I agree. While I liked PS4 and its game selection, I always lamented Sony's poor handling of their previous systems' back catalogs on that system.

If PS4 was capable of playing PS1/PS2 discs (as PS2 and PS3 could), then it would have been spectacular.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I never used to, but with the XSX in my home, I find myself doing a whole lot more of it.

Jokes aside, it is actually a joy discovering improvements in old games and playing through them again.

octiny

Banned
I like to play older games on consoles just like I enjoy playing older games on PC, especially w/ new hardware.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'd like to try dead space on xbox series x as it has auto hdr.
That would be a good one. I think I saw a video of someone playing this on the X and it looked really nice.

I'm playing Skyrim right now with the unlocked FPS and a slew of other graphical overhauls mods. That combined with auto-hdr has this old ass game looking nearly new again.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
What i mean games from gens before(not PS4-XOne games) but who in mind buys 500$+ systems to play some PS2 era or PS3 games on them ?
They look / feel / sound very outdated. All archaic gameplay concepts , no subtitles , no quicksave , lots of unskippable cutscenes, broken resolutions , mostly not working rumbles , game design principles that outdated as hell - collect 100 of this 100 of that , audio quality sounding like subpar pirate mp3 files. I could go on forever but i really dont see playing old ass games on 4K TVs anymore.

Those games were good for their time but without a proper remaster / remake it makes no sense to me to replay/play first time them.

What do you think ? I rather spent my time on new games and not like there is a shortage of good games that are modern. PS4-PS5 games indies etc. Fuck me if i could even find to complete my backlog of great games from this gen let alone playing old ass games

qLLDLtcHHeyqH93Bpkxcsf-1200-80.jpg
i agree.............BC compaitibilty ruins the potential of games developed for next gen consoles..............over rated feature

pr0cs

Totally, BC is one of the best things about the new consoles. I can't wait to try the auto HDR stuff and I've put off buying a lot of end-of-gen PS4 stuff (TLOU2, Days Gone) because I despise how loud my PS4 is and clearly the PS5 will be the best way to play them.

People who don't like BC don't really buy enough games to have a real opinion on it.

I have a few downloadable PS2 games for PS4, and a good number of downloadable PS1 games for PS3/PSP/Vita but I don't consider those situations to be "backward compatibility".
Me either, but given that on Xbox whatever it is that MS is doing (making you download a new binary of the old game) is called "backward compatibility" now a days... I figured that it would count,the only difference is the ability to use the original media (which is a good thing).

Top Bottom