• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you believe "voting with your wallet" works?

Does voting with your wallet work?

• Yes, it works

Votes: 234 56.0%
  • No, it doesn't work

Votes: 150 35.9%
  • I do not know, I am but a simple forum member

Votes: 34 8.1%

• Total voters
it only works when everybody has the same mindset.
If like 10 of yall is like....This sum BS....but the other 200,000 dont care. It dont work.

It works sometimes if enough people do it eg. I chose not to buy DmC because Capcom outsourced it to Ninja Theory - and then Capcom brought the series in-house again.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
It worked for Ion Fury when the leftists tried cancelling it over the ogay health pick ups!
Sales went through the roof.

NahaNago

Very rarely does it works. From what I've seen mostly it doesn't because the average gamer aren't on forums or watching tons of video game youtuber covering the drama so everyone else buys the product still. Backlash that blows up to national news is what usually makes these company temporarily change their ways.

zaanan

Banned
it doesn't work... what game is selling well and what game is not 100% depends on the blind masses that just buy games based on name recognition, hype or advertisements.

good games don't necessarily sell well, bad games don't necessarily sell badly. games with terrible business practices don't necessarily die and the ones with good practices don't necessarily survive.

the poster child of that is Titanfall 2, better and more consumer friendly than the 2 other big FPS games that released close to it, yet the worse games sold well and survived while Titanfall 2 didn't.

so in theory voting with your wallet does work, in practice it doesn't since most consumers just don't care that they get treated like shit
the worst Pizza place in my town is there since I was in first grade... better ones have come and gone, yet it remains, worse than ever even.
Voting with your wallet works in a free market. Trouble is, truly free markets are hard to come by these days, with all the information/misinformation overload (ie, what passes for “reviews”) out there. And how does a free market correct for a big fat company letting a fledgeling studio release the second entry of a new FPS IP in the same window as two FPS behemoths, just so they can buy said studio for pennies on the dollar?

Market manipulation is a thing in more ways than one.

zaanan

Banned
it only works when everybody has the same mindset.
If like 10 of yall is like....This sum BS....but the other 200,000 dont care. It dont work.
dozens-of-us.gif

Top Bottom