• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you call the "X" button on Dualshocks the "Cross Button" or "Ecks Buttons"?

ffvorax

Ecks.
Circle.
Square.
Triangle.

So probably it should be called Cross, but Ecks looks more natural when I see it...

13ruce

Banned
I call it cross because the other buttons have formm names too it makes no sense for me to call it X.

Triangle, Square, Circle, Cross.
Triangle, Square, Circle, X what?...

Yeah i prefer logic (and i have slight ocd tho lol and adhd strange combination right >.>):p

I call it "kruisje" in Dutch btw.

Waji

PlayStationButtons.png
That's the right answer, but whatever works for everyone.

How in the fuck is that a cross

Because in some countries that's a cross. As in Tic Tac Toe is also known as Noughts and Crosses.

As in fill in a paper form and there are check boxes. Some people want to to tick/check the form and others want you to put a cross in the box

If I saw this form, it would be ticks or crosses.

Anyhoo, team letter 'X' here.

OmegaDL50

I just find it funny that some folks are adamant that a cross can only be comprised of an vertical and horizontal intersecting line.

Look up what a saltire or St. Andrews Cross is.

There is also a distinction between the LETTER x, and the geometric shape called a cross.

In the case of a saltire and letter X both look the same but again in terms of shapes (such as a triangle, circle, and square for example) and a Letter there is a shared commonality in this case because the other three buttons are shapes.

As I said before I call the X button in reference to the letter, and not the shape for simplicity / familiarity sake.but officially, all four PSX buttons are four different shapes. Not three shapes and one letter.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is like saying Gif should be pronounced jiff because the creator says so.

I look at that as it would look odd to just have the letter X with the rest of the words. X is already on the button. too...

But damn if he doesnt make a good point, lol.

It is not an "o" either though, because an "o" is not circular, but slightly oval. The thing on the dual shock is round, though.

Also, if we are on the topic of how we call it among friends or internally to understand the button position, I always read the buttons to myself and a good friend (to all others I just take the actual names and this means cross for the cross-button on PS) as:

Cross: A
Square: B
Circle: X
Triangle: Y

Also, on Xbox / Saturn / Dreamcast controllers:
A: A
X: B
B: X
Y: Y

And on Nintendo controllers outside the GameCube and N64 one:
B: A
Y: B
A: X
X: Y

Because this is the only right way to name those buttons, just that all the companies are too crazy to see the light.
I've literally reread your post like 10 times thinking I must've have something wrong but no I think it's you.

Who the hell calls the Square button the "B" button?! I'm trying to think what controller with 4 face buttons has had the B button in that position? On xbox and Dreamcast it's been always the X and on nintendo it's Y.

And Circle as "X"? Why? Your nomenclature literally makes no sense. I'd understand if it was aligned with any company's controller meaning you'd be used to that but it's still different to the Xbox AND Nintendo arrangement. What the actual fuck???

MoonFrog

1. It is clear that people can get the idea to call it X, but on the discussion which is right, it is important to consider the intention more than the context the consumer may see the symbol in.
2. The shape argument is semantical and quite dishonest. When people say "shape" they obviously did not mean this in the mathematical way, but as another word for a simple (meaning: Composed of only few lines with a uniform curvature) geometric figure.

The post I was answering was about context. I talked about context.

I don't much care if one is "right," i.e. the official name of it according to Sony.

In any case, I did consider the intention. Did you even read my post? It is clearly meant as an ex, cross, cross mark, ex mark, etc. Which, well, is also called an ex as that list points out.

Sure, I also go on to point out that the button is removed from this context outside east Asia, which doesn't use O as confirm and O button as confirm button. And, moreover, I think it is pretty pointless to hold people to calling it after that mark.

But, again, even if you do, 'ex' is a perfectly viable name. It is what some people call the mark.

As to the shape thing--how am I being "dishonest"?

People in here are saying you should see cross because that's the "logical" thing to see. I'm pointing out that's BS. It is. Crossing lines are no more a shape than X is a shape, and a liberal definition of shape could include both. It isn't "logically" more fitting to call it a cross. I'm not the person introducing higher standards here--people saying you should call it cross are and I'm just holding that point of view up to its own BS.

The disingenuous, dishonest thing, if there is one, is to say it's a shape so it's a cross. If you want to throw geometric rules out the window, don't use talk of "logic" to prop up a bullshit ought claim.

And if you're going to call out semantics, calling it ex versus cross is semantics. So...you should be on my side?!

I call it EX because it's easier for everyone to understand, I am aware of the official name being CROSS though.

uh, what the fuck? people actually call it a "cross", even though it isn't one. huh.

makes absolutely no sense.

You ever see a rail road crossing sign bud? It's absolutely a cross, two lines are intersecting (i.e. crossing each other). The orientation doesn't determine if it's a cross or not.

X isn't just a letter. It's a well-known symbol pretty much everywhere. I mean, duh, if it wasn't, Sony wouldn't have used it as the symbol for the button. Illiterate people use X, too, as in "X marks the spot".

Sony can call it a cross, fine, but most people will still just call it "X". That doesn't mean they're referring to the letter X (though of course they may be).

Popsickles

I call it EX because it's easier for everyone to understand, I am aware of the official name being CROSS though.

You ever see a rail road crossing sign bud? It's absolutely a cross, two lines are intersecting (i.e. crossing each other). The orientation doesn't determine if it's a cross or not.

Thats US only dude, where everything is alternative

It's not a cross, tho.

In mathematics 'x' can be called cross. In calculus specifically you 'cross' a matrices of numbers. I forget how to do the math though. Also sometimes you see titles like 'Monster x Monster' it's read as Monster cross Monster.

I say ecks btw.

MoonFrog

Also, J-pipe, I-beam, T-intersection, etc. It is not at all unheard of to call lines that meet each other as if to form a letter after that letter.

I don't see how "because it's a figure, it can't be an X" makes any sense.

Muffdraul

I call it the X button, but I know damn well it's a cross. It isn't the letter X and the letter O, it's a cross and a circle. Like they would really have two shapes and two letters.

Calling it the "Cross" button just sounds too silly and confusing. It's an X as in "x marks the spot" and that's the end of the story.

Now excuse me while I go play my Cross box One S. Can't wait to pre-order the Cross box One Cross.

It's called a railroad crossing because it's where you cross the railroad, not because of the sign.

You're right that the sign is still a cross, though. People who call the button on the controller "cross" are also dummies.

Calling it the "Cross" button just sounds too silly and confusing. It's an X as in "x marks the spot" and that's the end of the story.

Now excuse me while I go play my Cross box One S. Can't wait to pre-order the Cross box One Cross.

Oh man, I've got to install the latest version of DirectCross on my computer!

Top Bottom