• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you call the "X" button on Dualshocks the "Cross Button" or "Ecks Buttons"?

Crosses are vertical not diagonal. It's an x.I know this is confusing, but Japanese people, especially Japanese game developers, speak Japanese not English. Do not follow Japanese usage for English words. Even if a Japanese company says x is "curossu" even (here's the hard part) even if they write "cross" in English letters, they are speaking Japanese not English.

Interesting fact, la croix (the drink) is pronounced "la-croy", not craw like cross. What makes this even more bizarre is that it's made in La Crosse, Wisconsin.

Ecks all the way, though.

A lot of my family drinks that stuff and I work advertising for grocery stores where it's featured frequently, and I've never heard of someone say its "la craw". I guess the "i" makes its pronunciation blatant to most people, I don't know.

That's funny about La Crosse, anyway.

Papee-eh mâché

95a3zbk.gif

A cross stands on one leg. That's an X
in the OP.
Google St. Andrew's cross

OmegaDL50

How is it not a cross?

Any geometric shape consisting of two intersecting lines has always been known as a "Cross"

There isn't one type of cross in a religious sense.

Also a Cross does not automatically imply two intersecting lines consist of one vertical and horizontal line, a twin opposing diagonal lines are also a cross as well. This is called a Saltire.

I've always referred to the Sony X button as an X and not particularly a cross, however officially they always referred to the four geometric shapes comprised of 1 to 4 lines. (Circle, Cross, Triangle, and Square).

The origin though according to controller designer, Teiyu Goto

Teiyu Goto said:
I gave each symbol a meaning and a color. The triangle refers to viewpoint; I had it represent one's head or direction and made it green. Square refers to a piece of paper; I had it represent menus or documents and made it pink. The circle and X represent 'yes' or 'no' decision-making and I made them red and blue respectively. People thought those colors were mixed up, and I had to reinforce to management that that's what I wanted.

http://kotaku.com/5622270/what-do-the-buttons-on-the-playstation-controller-mean

No lie, a friend in the ps2 era didn't just call the X button cross, but arguably something worse

Imagine in the glory days of Ps2 NCAA football 06. It was a small house party playing 4 players 2 on 2.

I'm the QB, I hiked the ball and the guy on my team randomly goes "box... Box".

Well I'm thinking shit, usually box in sports is like.. Basketball, box somebody out you know. So maybe that was just a fancy way of him saying box out the DB aka block, it was a screen pass so it kind of made sense. Maybe.

But then on another pass play, he threw out "cross... Cross". OK uhhh x is open, so cross=X sure.

Of course the kicker was when on the next play he's again goes "Box... BOX"

cue somebody going "wtf is box? Do you mean square????"

"yeah it's a box" 😅😅😅

I mean technically, he wasn't wrong and he was prob high af lol. Still makes us laugh to this day.

Izuna

Banned
Really, saying ecks is better if you use ABXY controllers too.

so I call the other buttons forward slash back slash, open square bracket close square bracket and capital oh.

UraMallas

Man you're really entrenching yourself on this particular hill. I guess if you want to be wrong might as well defend it all the way. X is a cross. It's a specific type of cross called a saltire.

Breh. If I were serious, I wouldn't be replying with gifs and lmgtfy links. This is obviously supposed to be a playful ribbing thread.

EDIT: I'm kind of bummed you didn't say "go to the cross for this."

I call it 'ecks'.

The oh button:

Radnom

I call 'X' an 'ecks' whatever the case, so it's the same with Street Fighter X Tekken and the PlayStation button. I haven't heard anyone call it 'cross' in NZ.

Sometimes I'll even say 'Dragon Ball Zed' for kicks but that's just me

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I've never heard anyone say "cross." I've also never heard it be referred to as a cross in a game demo either.

Thread Music.

I personally prefer to call it「BUTTON 2」in line with the original intent of the symbols.「クロース」if I'm bored.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Top Bottom