• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider Steam Deck a console?

Is it a console

• Total voters

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
GMGRhP7.png

GuinGuin

Banned

Yeah and you could play Linux games on the PS3 and most old consoles could easily be hacked for other uses. Xbox Series X can run lots of other gaming software through emulation easily as well and it is basically sanctioned by Microsoft.

NoviDon

It's a Portable PC with console/handheld controls. I guess hybrids are the future. It makes sense too, with being able to pack more and more power into a small form factor, and with a reasonable power budget, you can get the best of all worlds with portability, decent power, and docking to a monitor or Tv, with also the freedom to download any OS and programs you wish.

GuinGuin

Banned
It's just a PC in a different form factor. Do you consider laptops as consoles? Steam Boxes as consoles? You shouldn't because they aren't. This is the same thing as those.

Laptop of course not. Steam Boxes yes. They know most people will use it as intended regardless of what they will let you do with it. If they thought most people weren't going to use it with Steam they wouldn't bother making it.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Yeah and you could play Linux games on the PS3 and most old consoles could easily be hacked for other uses. Xbox Series X can run lots of other gaming software through emulation easily as well and it is basically sanctioned by Microsoft.
Did you watch the video I posted? Did you check out the steam deck site before posting?

Did you do any research before making this thread?

Tygeezy

It's a bit of a hybrid. Consoles are become more like pc's which has already been mentioned. It will certainly have some consoles conveniences.

GuinGuin

Banned
Did you watch the video I posted? Did you check out the steam deck site before posting?

Did you do any research before making this thread?

They call it a PC because they know their fans like the idea. In practice they only want people to use it as a portable Steam Machine. Their margins are thin. It's the only way it makes sense for them to release this product.

octiny

Banned
It's a handheld gaming PC first & foremost. X86 & completely open.

Just like the Win GPD 3, Aya Neo etc w/ the only exception being it's using Linux out of the box vs Windows (for cost related reasons, just like Steam Box). You can literally tab out of big screen Steam mode & use the Linux desktop as a normal PC. Install, do whatever you want. Don't like Linux? Install Windows on it & use the big screen Steam mode on Windows. It's simply a PC in handheld form, nothing more nothing less.

Have you bothered to even watch any videos or interviews? They hope to encourage other manufactures to develop similar devices. Why? Because they are trying to create a new market segment which will translate to more steam sales, regardless of the OS installed on it. Which until now, has been dominated by handheld consoles & phones.

Comparing it to a PS3? Really? What an absolute dumb thread.

And did someone really just say a PC isn't a PC if you can't upgrade it? Holy shit, might as well start calling a huge percentage of the PC market now as "consoles".

Some of the shit I'm reading absolutely blows my mind 😂

this thing is gonna get so heavily modified there's no telling what it will become.
i'm not disagreeing with that. try reading my comment again.

i'ts a device aimed at people who want to play steam games. how people mod it doesn't matter. by that logic you could argue that Playstations, Xbox, Switch, Wii, PSP, Vita, etc are all PCs.

elliot5

i'ts a device aimed at people who want to play steam games. how people mod it doesn't matter. by that logic you could argue that Playstations, Xbox, Switch, Wii, PSP, Vita, etc are all PCs.
just because the stock OS UI is all about the Steam store and launcher doesn't make it less of a PC. You can dock it and use web browsers and all that jazz like any old Linux PC. Obviously it has its niche, but its an open PC system tailored to a specific audience. It's a handheld PC with gaming controls. Valve even calls it a PC. It's a PC.

no. it's aimed at PC gamers who want to play current games or games going back decades, as well as play console games using emulation. it's not a narrow device in terms of application.

GuinGuin

Banned
just because the stock OS UI is all about the Steam store and launcher doesn't make it less of a PC. You can dock it and use web browsers and all that jazz like any old Linux PC. Obviously it has its niche, but its an open PC system tailored to a specific audience. It's a handheld PC with gaming controls. Valve even calls it a PC. It's a PC.

Most consoles have a web browser...

FStubbs

It's a console. It's a walled garden dedicated gaming device .

Just because the wall can apparently be easily scaled doesn't mean it's not a console.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
I disagree. I can install Windows or any other operating system I want. I can install Steam's competitor's software as well. Tell me a console that allows me to do all of that without having to hack it first.
The original PS3 can install Linux. Series X can install almost anything if you pay $19 to turn it into an official "dev kit"

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The original PS3 can install Linux. Series X can install almost anything is you play $19 to turn it into an official "dev kit"

Every PS3 could install Linux until Sony changed its mind and removed that option. That's the difference between an open system and a closed system. Either way, a dev kit console is still a console.

FStubbs

a console that can mount Windows and run software going back decades. so like a Windows Console. Winsole? Condows?
PS3 launched with the ability to run Linux and people actually used them as servers.

Sony tried to argue that this made the PS3 a computer. Courts ruled that it was still a console.

Guilty_AI

The original PS3 can install Linux. Series X can install almost anything if you pay $19 to turn it into an official "dev kit"

You know, regardless of whether you call it a PC or a console or whatever, what remains as a fact is that this device is made to work exactly like a PC would and thats what makes it attractive. Even the XSX example you gave is still limited in the sense you can't wipe the system clean and install whatever OS you want as you could with a normal PC, and with the PS3 example, sony would actively got in the way to limit it.

So, what exactly is your beef here?

GuinGuin

Banned
You know, regardless of whether you call it a PC or a console or whatever, what remains as a fact is that this device is made to work exactly like a PC would and thats what makes it attractive. Even the XSX example you gave is still limited in the sense you can't wipe the system clean and install whatever OS you want as you could with a normal PC, and with the PS3 example, sony would actively got in the way to limit it.

So, what exactly is your beef here?

I have no beef I simply see this as a console since the primary and as far as I can tell only motivation for Valve to make and market this device is to sell more Steam games.

PS3 launched with the ability to run Linux and people actually used them as servers.

Sony tried to argue that this made the PS3 a computer. Courts ruled that it was still a console.
with Windows on this, you can do anything with it that you can do with a traditional PC. good times!

Top Bottom