• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider Steam Deck a console?

Is it a console

• Total voters

Guilty_AI

I have no beef I simply see this as a console since the primary and as far as I can tell only motivation for Valve to make and market this device is to sell more Steam games.
I mean, yeah, thats probably part of their motivation, though i'd say a bigger one is to make open OS's more popular since Microsoft grip on the market is dangerous for companies that make third party softwares like them - the whole reason why they've invested so much on linux gaming in the first place.
But what does that have to do with it the discussion on whether this is a PC or a console?

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
I mean, yeah, thats probably part of their motivation, though i'd say a bigger one is to make open OS's more popular since Microsoft grip on the market is dangerous for companies that make third party softwares like them - the whole reason why they've invested so much on linux gaming in the first place.
But what does that have to do with it the discussion on whether this is a PC or a console?
Because I think it is their intent which determines the answer.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

image.png

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Kagero

I would lean more towards a console, but the truth is, is it's a hybrid. I feel it has to potential to disrupt the big three. I can already see how this will take my time away from the consoles that I have. I have Steam with a bunch of games, but I don't ever play on my PC even though I have a gaming PC. Just prefer the ecosystem of consoles.

MiguelItUp

They themselves called it a "handheld PC, it's a PC with a controller attached to it". It comes with Steam OS installed, but if a person wants to uninstall it and install Windows, they can. This was in the IGN hands-on video.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
They themselves called it a "handheld PC, it's a PC with a controller attached to it". It comes with Steam OS installed, but if a person wants to uninstall it and install Windows, they can. This was in the IGN hands-on video.

They can say one thing and think another. You don't see Valve releasing any Windows based PCs. Why? Because a console environment will lead to far more sales even if a small fraction ignore Steam OS entirely.

elliot5

They can say one thing and think another. You don't see Valve releasing any Windows based PCs. Why? Because a console environment will lead to far more sales even if a small fraction ignore Steam OS entirely.
because windows costs money to put on each device and Valve likes supporting open platforms like Linux lol it's got nothing with "providing a console environment" other than providing the steam storefront and a controller friendly UI (see Big Picture mode too). The Steam store basically is the console environment since that's where you're getting your games from and where Valve gets their 30%.

it wouldn't have sold like it did if Valve removed the option to install Windows. they're not that stupid, and neither are gamers.

GuinGuin

Banned
it wouldn't have sold like it did if Valve removed the option to install Windows. they're not that stupid, and neither are gamers.

How does it benefit them to sell more of them to people who are just going to install windows? It is being sold basically at cost.

Topher

Gold Member
Because I think it is their intent which determines the answer.
They can say one thing and think another.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

Do I need a Steam account to use Steam Deck?
The default Steam Deck experience requires a Steam account (it's free!). Games are purchased and downloaded using the Steam Store. That said, Steam Deck is a PC so you can install third party software and operating systems.
They made their intention clear.

Last edited:

Aenima

Its a portable PC. You can install windown on it, hook it to a monitor with keyboard and mouse and will do everething a pc does.

Last edited:
How does it benefit them to sell more of them to people who are just going to install windows? It is being sold basically at cost.
i would suspect it's all about what their core business is, pushing software, but don't ask me what they see that led them to introduce this to help accomplish it. this is, however, undoubtedly, a PC. and a skateboard. and a larping shield. and a dessert tray.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Does it matter? It’s gaming system that play games.

Being console or handheld is irrelevant.

Guilty_AI

Better question, why people that play on PC need to install windows? That becoming less and less of a necessity for gaming. A lot of users won't be installing windows simply because there's no need to.

Also, Gabe Newell said pricing was "painful", we don't actually know what he meant by it.
By the context it seems they think the price was higher than what they'd conside ideal, rather than them having to sell it at a loss.

Last edited:
*Starts sweating in Xbox Series*

Have you heard of the windows surface pro? How about Falcon laptops?
You’re getting pretty technical, this is literally geared towards gaming. The Surface Pro and Falcon Laptops come with a plethora of different CPU/GPU configurations and form factors. This does not.

I’m kind of blown away that the console crowd is panicking about whether or not this is a console to begin with.

Last edited:

Skifi28

If it runs windows and you are free to install what software you want, it's a PC in my eyes. Form factor is irrelevant.

Better question, why people that play on PC need to install windows? That becoming less and less of a necessity for gaming. A lot of users won't be installing windows simply because there's no need to.

emulation, meh.

Also, Gabe Newell said pricing was "painful", we don't actually know what he meant by it.

what he meant by 'painful' was that, during the interview, there were only 10 serving wenches feeding him grapes, instead of 12. i hate it when that happens, too.

yurinka

It's a PC based (like Xbox and PlayStation) hybrid console (like Switch).

Xbox and PlayStation OS and hardware parts are basically a from PC, the main difference is that they aren't open to install another OS there (on Xbox you can do it paying an extra).

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It's a console running Steam OS.
Steam OS is open, you could in theory even install and use EGS and Battle net on it, or whatever as long as it works on linux natively or through win-emulators.

How is that different from a linux PC?

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
This thread is so dumb. So laptops aren't PC's anymore?

OP made thread before, about Valve being doomed because they have "done nothing" with their money over the years. They need exclusives to compete and are stagnant or something like that. He's got a console warrior mindset, and will ignore response posts from others for days, while repeating his own stupidity and nonsense. He hates Valve.

FStubbs

Steam OS is open, you could in theory even install and use EGS and Battle net on it, or whatever as long as it works on linux natively or through win-emulators.

How is that different from a linux PC?
You must have missed the "dedicated gaming device" part of my definition.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's a PC that plays Steam games like any PC. You can install Steam OS on your PC as well if you like.

Not only that, but there are already other projects in the works in this category and I think some are available depending on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kokoloko85

Its a PC/Handheld hybrid. Defo not a Console

Im interested in it to play games like Total War when the price drops down

PsyEd

IMHO it's a PC....and I'm sure it'll allow install whatever OS you like...just like a PC hardware. I was going to buy a switch after waiting all this time....valve just nuked that idea in my head with steam deck. GG

Top Bottom