• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider Steam Deck a console?

Is it a console

• Total voters
if you like playing at 20fps and 360p, sure
Viva Pinata, Black & White, Simpsons Hit & Run, games like that (you know, older games, which is what i was referring to) will run far better than that. not to mention emulators. how many PS1 games can you play on your PS5? this device can play as many as can be emulated.

if your talking about future games, sure, there'll be some compromises. there have to be, it's a portable device that uses batteries. batteries.

Banned
Viva Pinata, Black & White, Simpsons Hit & Run, games like that (you know, older games, which is what i was referring to) will run far better than that. not to mention emulators. how many PS1 games can you play on your PS5? this device can play as many as can be emulated.

if your talking about future games, sure, there'll be some compromises. there have to be, it's a portable device that uses batteries. batteries.

by that logic, the original Xbox is still supported and will be in 1000 years

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
If someone wants a PC they will buy a PC. If someone wants a console, they will buy this. My friends that are PC gamers are not interested in this. They see those big massive controllers on the sides and are put off. They will not play PC games with a controller. The touchpad requires that you hold this like a controller and use them with your thumbs (PS4 also had this). Even the Switch OLED is more PC-like in that it can be propped up on a desk like a Surface Pro to watch YouTube.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

SteamOS probably is behind ArchLinux in the kernel LOL.
Last iteration of steam OS was just arch linux with steam integrated + a bunch of configurations/plugins to make the system better for gaming.
You could, in fact, run non-steam games on it like you would in any other distribution. Or use it like any normal OS.

From what they've said so far, the new iteration won't be much different in that aspect, especially considering its easy to just wipe it off the device if you so wish.

Topher

Gold Member
If someone wants a PC they will buy a PC. If someone wants a console, they will buy this. My friends that are PC gamers are not interested in this. They see those big massive controllers on the sides and are put off. They will not play PC games with a controller. The touchpad requires that you hold this like a controller and use them with your thumbs (PS4 also had this). Even the Switch OLED is more PC-like in that it can be propped up on a desk like a Surface Pro to watch YouTube.

Myself and other PC gamers that I know personally have preordered this device because of the form factor and the fact that it plays PC gamers. This is anecdotal references either way. Neither your friends nor mine are necessarily the majority. So what difference does it make?

Using the touchpad is optional, thankfully. It is probably the feature of the device I like the least as it brings over some of the ideas from the horrible Steam controller. I don't see how the Switch is more "PC-like" simply because it has a kickstand. It simply isn't. The list of features and functions that are more PC-like are going to weigh heavily in favor of Steam Deck than Switch and it isn't going to be close. Either way, Steam Dock will have a stand for purchase if it is needed.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Myself and other PC gamers that I know personally have preordered this device because of the form factor and the fact that it plays PC gamers. This is anecdotal references either way. Neither your friends nor mine are necessarily the majority. So what difference does it make?

Using the touchpad is optional, thankfully. It is probably the feature of the device I like the least as it brings over some of the ideas from the horrible Steam controller. I don't see how the Switch is more "PC-like" simply because it has a kickstand. It simply isn't. The list of features and functions that are more PC-like are going to weigh heavily in favor of Steam Deck than Switch and it isn't going to be close. Either way, Steam Dock will have a stand for purchase if it is needed.
You're going to bring the Steam Dock everywhere with you when you want to prop it up on a table? Feels more like a Switch dock to me, left at the TV.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
OEM's making gaming PCs are clearly console makers, you guys.

Don't believe everything companies tell you. /s

That's a key point. The OP says the primary purpose being gaming automatically makes something a console. As you say, that would mean a gaming laptop or even a gaming PC is somehow now a console? That's a bit absurd.

Console's have limited functionality by design. Those walled gardens exist for reason, but on PC they simply do not. And with Steam Deck, those walled gardens do not exist. Simple fact of the matter that anyone can connect a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to this device and use it as their primary non-gaming computer is the crucial differentiating factor. This is what separates Steam Deck from consoles.

You're going to bring the Steam Dock everywhere with you when you want to prop it up on a table? Feels more like a Switch dock to me, left at the TV.

I never saw the need to use the kickstand when I had a Switch and I really don't see the need for a dock for this, personally. Like Switch, I'd just use the built-in controls. My point is that it is available to those who do, not that this really makes a difference either way as far as this topic is concerned.

Last edited:
oh, it's going to have to be much more complicated than a simple stand:

tny7K1b.jpg

Last edited:

chixdiggit

As a PC gamer with a huge Steam account I'm very excited for this. Like you won't see me playing Counter Strike on it or anything but plenty of stuff will work just fine with a controller.

FStubbs

No one gives a fuck about your moronic definition. Words have meanings, Steam Deck is a PC.
Ooh internet tough guy. You cared enough to respond though, guess that makes you a nobody.

Wikipedia says:

A video game console is an electronic or computer device that outputs a video signal or visual image to display a video game that one or more people can play through some type of game controller. These may be home consoles which are generally placed in a permanent location connected to a television or other display device and controlled with a separate game controller, or handheld consoles that include their own display unit and controller functions built into the unit and can be played anywhere. Hybrid consoles combine elements of both home and handheld consoles.

Pretty sure it's a console. If you disagree, put your money where your mouth is and submit a change to wikipedia.

Last edited:

packy34

Pretty sure it's a console. If you disagree, put your money where your mouth is and submit a change to wikipedia.
Tell Valve that they're wrong about their own device.

But if you want to go by this Wikipedia source, even this doesn't make your case for you. By this definition, a video game console exists only to play video games.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's both......it can run a lot like a console, or if you want, unlock more pc features.

Being a walled garden matters. It is one of the things that stops Macs from being true PCs.
Console gamers never knew what it felt like not being in a walled garden. So now they are pretending this new thing is a console because they don't know what difference it makes.

Someone who was raised in a prison all his life, might find the idea of a regular house being no different from a prison; "Just because it has an unlocked door and can let me outside doesn't stop it being a prison. If i choose to never walk out it is still a prison!"

This is a handheld PC. It is not a console because you are not in a walled garden. Console gamers just can't see the walls the same way fish can't see the water.

Topher

Gold Member
Being a walled garden matters. It is one of the things that stops Macs from being true PCs.
Console gamers never knew what it felt like not being in a walled garden. So now they are pretending this new thing is a console because they don't know what difference it makes.

Someone who was raised in a prison all his life, might find the idea of a regular house being no different from a prison; "Just because it has an unlocked door and can let me outside doesn't stop it being a prison. If i choose to never walk out it is still a prison!"

This is a handheld PC. It is not a console because you are not in a walled garden. Console gamers just can't see the walls the same way fish can't see the water.

I agree with most of what you say, but Mac is not a "walled garden". I can install any software I want on my MacBook.

FStubbs

Tell Valve that they're wrong about their own device.

But if you want to go by this Wikipedia source, even this doesn't make your case for you. By this definition, a video game console exists only to play video games.
I'm sure others have beaten me to it.

Remember, Sony tried to claim the PS3 was a PC as well, since it ran Linux and people could use them as servers and run Linux applications. EU courts said otherwise.

Finally, the Steam Deck most definitely only exists to play video games. Only forum fanboys trying to prove a point would buy one and hook up a monitor and keyboard to run excel.

rofif

Banned
Imagine buying this if you don't have a gaming pc and buys this thining it is a pc-console...
Anyone who picks this up without and pc knowledge will be lost. And being such a low power hardware (for pc), you need to know your game settings and tweaks.

Speedwagon

Imagine buying this if you don't have a gaming pc and buys this thining it is a pc-console...
Anyone who picks this up without and pc knowledge will be lost. And being such a low power hardware (for pc), you need to know your game settings and tweaks.
No you don't. Gaben has said he wants people to pick this up and see that it all works and it's all fast. That was his first priority.

rofif

Banned
No you don't. Gaben has said he wants people to pick this up and see that it all works and it's all fast. That was his first priority.
But it's just a pc... Gaben is nor responsible for all steam games and he cannot autoconfigure them.
And proton is just emulating non native linux games. There will be problems and changing settings

Topher

Gold Member
I'm sure others have beaten me to it.

Remember, Sony tried to claim the PS3 was a PC as well, since it ran Linux and people could use them as servers and run Linux applications. EU courts said otherwise.

Finally, the Steam Deck most definitely only exists to play video games. Only forum fanboys trying to prove a point would buy one and hook up a monitor and keyboard to run excel.

Steam Deck primarily exists to play games. Not "only". The primary purpose of my gaming PC is to play games. Is it a console? No.

packy34

The PS3 had the ability to run Linux. It wasn't a Linux device out of the box. Steam Deck is, and it comes complete with a desktop interface designed for mouse and keyboard. The difference matters.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Wonder if this will be more successful than that first Shield design.

jxd_nvidia.png

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
It's a UMPC with built in controllers, like the GPD machines and the Aya Neo. The most interesting thing about it is that it's cheap, although looking at the spec for the lowest priced SKU it's pretty crippled by lack of storage.

GuinGuin

Banned

Huh? A Mac is 100% a PC.

PhaseJump

Banned
It's a computer. You install the contemporary, open PC platform's software on it. There is nothing "custom" about that deployment. SteamOS itself is a version of Linux, based now on Arch, still including a complete desktop to boot up. It's generally the same as installing Steam on Windows and booting with Big Picture mode.

What is a console? A dedicated gaming device. OK. Bullshit, but fine. Can you install anything you want on it? No. It's dedicated to gaming and a controlled ecosystem. What is a PC? It's a standard pile of different hardware options that all prop up software people are free to do anything on. All the utility that comes with that is on the Steam Deck, and not the Nintendo Switch by a comparison.

Is an OEM "Gaming PC" considered a console if it's in a small box? No. It can do the things a console can, and outperform them in other use cases. It lets you install drivers and other operating systems that typically give you full access to your hardware.

Consoles don't do that. Even if you want to jerk off about PS3 allowing you to boot another OS or how the Xbox gives you Dev mode. They are not granting full access to the hardware and allowing you to run any code or OS you want.

Valve runs a dedicated gaming platform, Steam. Steam is just a thing you can run on the Steam Deck, and you're free to get rid of it. How? Because it's a PC.

This thread is fucking stupid.

Denton

A laptop comes with a keyboard. This thing comes with video game face buttons. A laptop is a general computing machine. This is dedicated gaming hardware. Could you duct tape a keyboard to it? Sure but that isn't the device being sold.
I use my PC almost exclusively for gaming and it did not come with a keyboard, I had to connect it to it.
But I guess my PC is a console now. Because fuck logic, we live in a clown world where PCs are consoles.

It's a niche product. Performance will be unimpressive. Sales will be unimpressive. It will get discontinued after its 3rd year at best.

And yet I bet if the exact same piece of hardware had Nintendo written on it, your post would look very different.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Valve said it's a portable PC, so I'll take them at their word.

Personally though I'm glad more people will have the option to play more games on the go even though I'm only expecting it to be a niche device.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
I had a gaming laptop but then I installed steam os on it and now its an amazing console

A laptop has a keyboard and track pad and is clearly made for general purpose work. This has two huge extensions covered in buttons and thumbsticks which are only useful for gaming. It's being marketed and sold exclusively for that purpose. If it wasn't for gaming the device would never have been made.

DavidGzz

This is like the argument of whether Dark Souls is an RPG or an action game. Turns out it's a hybrid. Maybe we can just all agree the Deck is a hybrid console/PC. Juicy af either way. Best of boat wurlds

Last edited:
Top Bottom