• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you find the industry still caters to your gaming tastes sufficiently?

entremet

There will always be the extremely popular genre. The 8 and 16 bit eras were the age of the platformer.

Then came the rise of FPS and now it seems open world is all the rage.

However, I do find that gaming industry is pretty diverse.

For a long time, as a fighting game fan, I felt fighters were neglected, but last generation saw a huge resurgence, thanks to SFIV and it still going.

And we've also gotten the rise of crowdfunding, which has given us many great gems in underrepresented genres.

But today, do you feel that it's easy to get the type of games you crave made?

Personally, while I do love platformers, I do miss the 3D platformers.

Sony tried twice with Tearaway, but the game bombed twice sadly. Nintendo has been successful with them, but their 2D efforts sell better and are cheaper to make, so we see more of them.

Outside of that genre, I do wish more JPRGs would get localized--I'm looking at DQ as a huge culprit here.

What about you?

Amusingly no, but I buy more video games than I ever have before and Kickstarter gives me some small hope at the direction of parts of the industry

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think so. I don't play a lot of games every year but there's always something out there that catches my interest.

bjork

The industry's past caters to me, because I've missed so much stuff over the years that I can spend way too much time just checking out old titles. I haven't remained current for a couple of years now but I'm still having fun with what I play, so I guess they're meeting my needs, I'm just late in getting there.

Jawmuncher

No not really, I play stuff that's good. But I haven't played anything I felt which was catered to me in a long time.

my tastes dont't coincide with industry trends but there are more and more games being made and more avenues to play them so there's always something to play

FluxWaveZ

Sure. Persona 5, Zero Escape 3, and Ace Attorney 6 are all games coming out next year. Danganronpa 3 is also a game in development.

Basically, there are still many stylish Japanese games with compelling characters, story and aesthetic still coming out these days. More would be good, but I'm glad those kinds of games are still coming out.

Abounder

Banned
Yes and no. There's a ton of variety and it's more affordable than ever...but I miss AAA RTS game series like Command and Conquer. Blizzard used to have some competition from Westwood which was good for gaming, now they're just getting fat and lazy

No. Big budget turn-based RPGs aren't really a thing these days.

I'd settle for more mid-budget turn based RPGs. There are some, mostly on 3DS, but increasingly only available in 日本語. Feels like even those are dying out.

I'd also love to see more games that are appropriate for all ages. It's really shameful to look at PS4 and see that the vast majority of "good" games are adults only.

Golnei

As long as Platinum stays in business and Capcom lets Itsuno out of the basement once in a while, I'm reasonably satisfied as far as action games go; though it would be nice to for Ninja Gaiden to return to the status it once held.

Metroidvanias are a little more bleak on the surface, especially where their eponymous series are concerned, but that's another avenue where crowdfunded and indie games are filling the void to some extent.

In terms of RPGs, I'm more just lamenting specific styles rather than the genre itself, which is on an upswing.

Prelude.

Not the mainstream industry, that's for sure. I've never been less interested in buying a new console after 2 years from the start of a new gen.

Amusingly no, but I buy more video games than I ever have before and Kickstarter gives me some small hope at the direction of parts of the industry
This so much. Independents have given much love to genres the bigger publishers have long ago buried, and I've followed them accordingly.

Nephtes

Parts of the industry cater to me, just not always the ones I want. It's a mixed bag really...

There are some companies that hold franchises I love and are doing absolutely nothing with them or are flat out ruining them with each successive game (SquareEnix: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy. Capcom: Dark Stalkers, Mega Man. Konami: Castlevania, Silent Hill, Kojimaless Metal Gear)

Meanwhile, on the other side of the coin, Bungie has delivered for me with Destiny, and Capcom is still doing it's thing with Street Fighter V, 343's multiplayer PVP in Halo 5 is damn near perfect, and FROM Software and Dark Souls can do no wrong in my book.

Heero5

I have a lot more faith now. I thought 2011-2012 were some of the worst for me personally in gaming. With Kickstarter giving me 3 major titles I thought were dead I have changed my negative tune. Not to mention SE/Nintendo getting their shit togeather as of recently with ALBW, Braveky Default, DQ XI, and project Setsuna.

I am very exited to see what agents like Ben Judd will be doing next year. He keeps hinting at a game with RPG elements from Japan going to Kickstarter next year. Tho he's said it isn't a traditional JRPG.

Industry's so big that it feels like there isn't anything that at least isn't catered by indies or rereleases.

It's like movies. I've gotten cynical about Hollywood, but between arthouse theatres and the internet, you'll find something you like.
AAA will always be in whatever best selling trend there is, and it won't appeal to you at times. But there's plenty out there, something is bound to strike your fancy.

Flarin

Yes and no.

Yes with story-driven action games like Uncharted, Last of Us, Tomb Raider, etc. Also some great horror titles recently with Until Dawn, Evil Within and Alien: Isolation.

No with AAA console JRPGs. The last console JRPG that blew me away was Ni no Kuni. Hoping Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV and/or Kingdom Hearts III will be able to do the same.

More or less really. Apart from maybe Square Enix no AAA studio catches my interest. All those western games looks so similar and so typical. I guess the realistic look just isn't for me...

BUT studio like NISA, Namco, Atlus, Koei tecmo and a few others do makes games I enjoy.

Console JRPGs have been somewhat sparse and the few that are on home consoles don't really appeal to me.

I also would like to see more Western companies making fighting games. Netherealm and Rare are the only ones on the mainstream front.

IvanJ

Banned
Yes, I am enjoying games coming out these years very much. They are exactly to my taste, I love action-adventures and open world games the most.

The AAA part of the industry has long since abandoned what I like. Indies and small-mid JP developers still cater to me, but it's not the same.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not only does it cater to my gaming tastes...my gaming tastes have changed over the years.

I used to like jRPG's, wasnt into FPS that much. Now its almost the opposite. Used to like platformers alot. Now its whatever.

That said one of my fav games from last gen was Shadow Complex.

Muffdraul

I guess so. I've been strictly single player solo for over 10 years now and occasionally the bias towards MP or co-op can feel like a roadblock or intrusion in certain games. But I can't say they don't make enough SP games to keep me occupied.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Like almost TOO much! I don't have enough time to play everything that they are making for me.

I'd settle for more mid-budget turn based RPGs. There are some, mostly on 3DS, but increasingly only available in 日本語. Feels like even those are dying out.

Even something like SMT IV, I'd classify as a low-budget game (although on the higher end of the spectrum). You can see a lot of places they cut corners - minimal animation, reuse of dungeon designs, etc. The mid-budget JRPG market has really died out - Tales is the only one I can think of that consistently gets released these days and that's not turn-based.

I'd also love to see more games that are appropriate for all ages. It's really shameful to look at PS4 and see that the vast majority of "good" games are adults only.

THIS! I hate how it seems like just about every AAA Western developed game these days is M-rated and not even mildly M-rated but pushing right up against the limits of an AO. Even series that used to be pretty tame like Tomb Raider have succumbed.

Sophia

I've always been someone who likes a little bit of everything, thus it's pretty difficulty not to cater to my tastes. That being said, there are a number of specific subgenres of games that I wish were better represented simply because I'm fond of them more than others.

Even something like SMT IV, I'd classify as a low-budget game (although on the higher end of the spectrum). The mid-budget JRPG market has really died out - Tales is the only one I can think of that consistently gets released these days and that's not turn-based.

Yeah, it would be really nice to have a return to the mid-budget console turn based RPG. The genre has a lot of potential for innovation, but it kind of died out after the initial push of such RPGs near the beginning/middle of the PS3/360 generation. :<

Yup. I like games across most genres, and I feel like the industry just keeps making more and more cool shit I want to play.

Do I wish there were say, more RPGs with sizable budgets? Yeah, but otherwise, it's all good.

Need more puzzle games that aren't some variety of "gem-swapping", "align block to fit through hole in time". So far Talos Principle and The Room 3 are the only two puzzle games I enjoy while I wait for Zero Escape 3/next Layton.

Mael

I have more platforming goodness than I care to count, seriously I'm drowning in it it's not even funny.
For everything else, meh it's pretty subpar really.

Zafir

Not really. JRPGs aren't as popular as they used to be, and most of the JRPG franchises I loved have effectively died. 3D Platformers are practically dead, only being propped up by Mario, the occasional 3D parts of Sonic, and the few indie developers who decided they wanted to go against the norm and make a 3D platformer instead of a 2D one.

Even something like SMT IV, I'd classify as a low-budget game (although on the higher end of the spectrum). The mid-budget JRPG market has really died out - Tales is the only one I can think of that consistently gets released these days and that's not turn-based.

SMT is definitely low budget. Dat sprite reuse.

I was thinking more like Pokemon, Dragon Quest (including spinoffs / remakes), or even Mario & Luigi games. I don't consider any of these big budget, not nearly in the way of septuple-A HD games (maybe Pokemon if you include marketing budget?).

I've always been someone who likes a little bit of everything, thus it's pretty difficulty not to cater to my tastes. That being said, there are a number of specific subgenres of games that I wish were better represented simply because I'm fond of them more than others.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. If anything my tastes have grown more diverse as I've gotten older. If I could get anything it'd be more 3D platformers and turn-based RPGs, but even lacking those I'm not struggling to amass a backlog of games I enjoy playing.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I just realized something....I'm not really into online MP games. For that the industry isnt catering to me.

Its shifting waaaay too much to online, if it hasnt ready shifted.

Top Bottom