• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you find the industry still caters to your gaming tastes sufficiently?

PillarEN

Platformers are my bread and butter. Nintendo has that covered. 16/8 bit inspired platformers are very typical on the indie scene. 3D platformers have quieted down but that's just the way things trend.

PSqueak

Banned
The industry doesnt cater to my interests, it however, satisfies them because games for people like me will never cease to exist.

Still, the industry caters to somebody else, all AAA games the modern industry makes are not of my taste and rarely am interested in them, the industry through their AAA games have made clear who they are catering to, and that's not me.

But it's cool, because my tastes are still being satisfied by other games, the industry has not forgotten about me, im just not priority.

Love all the AAA big games, the curve of skill is a bit beyond me especially for stuff like Destiny / COD / Battlefront / Halo / etc but the mix of FPS, open worlds, scifi, and story driven games is right up my alley.

Frankly I am surprised its lasted this long, every year I expect a big collapse in sales in a scenario where kids have all shifted to mobile gaming, but I'll enjoy their company (and more importantly, purchasing power to support my tastes) while I can.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I go more and more retro, since only the Souls-games, Nintendo and indies really cater to me these days. Dont care at all about shooters and story-heavy "press A for Awesome"-games that are becoming increasingly popular among the AAA-productions.

Not really.

- Mario used to be a good-ol arcade-y challenge, but now levels are so streamlined and the save system so generous that this feeling is gone
- StarCraft is a shadow of its former self.
- Zelda games have gone downhill in quality as they have become more linear and puzzle-focused; I can scratch the exploration and challenge itches better elsewhere, but games like Dark Souls are more Metroidvania than Zelda in terms of world design and games like Skyrim have unsatisfying combat
- Pokemon has lost a lot of the charm of its world design and the single-player game has become pitfully easy

I've found some new loves lately - just got into BioShock, for example - but a lot of the experiences I love have faded away in recent years.

JCX

Eh I'll give this gen more time, but as a JRPG/SRPG fan, last gen was awful for me. My most played consoles this gen are Wii U/Vita, so my tastes are likely out of step with the mainstream.

Haunted

AAA hasn't for a while, but there's plenty of other content creators out there catering to my tastes.

If I focus more on Japanese games than western games than yes, it still does easily. I use to enjoy a fair number of high profile western games too, but all the series I follow feel less and less interesting as the new sequels fail to innovate or engage me with their stories.

bobone

No, but there is always the old games.

About half of the games I play each year didnt come out during the current generation. This year is by far the worst in my opinion. I cant even make a top 10 of 2015 considering I didnt even play that many from 2015.

But then again they still make Pokemon, Persona, and Zelda so its not all bad.

cireza

Short answer is no. So I get whatever game that still falls in the category of games I like, but in fact that's only a handful of games every year. So I try to appreciate those as much as possible.

El-Suave

Yes, there are always enough games I want to play so that it's easy to skip games that aren't for me because they're i.e. multiplayer only.

Anno

Definitely, though rarely from the AAA space. And in between games there's always Dota, Civ or a few other games that are basically fun forever.

Jay Sosa

No, not at all. Not only are my 2 favorite genres either dead (3D JnR) or on life support (console jrpgs) but with the rise of micro transactions and day one patches the chance i'll ever own a current console again is getting smaller and smaller. I'm very interested in vr gaming but considering how quickly everyone gave up on 3d I don't have much hope for that either.

There's such a stupidly wide range of genres and types of games being made....

What I want may not always be AAA anymore but...yes.

I might search a little more and discover a Trails in the Sky or Persona 4 Golden etc...

The older that I get-- and I'm well into my 30s-- the broader I find my tastes getting, so there's always something new and interesting getting put out there that I'm excited to play around with. The only area I've cut way back on is MP and that's simply due to time constraints; that doesn't seem to apply to Destiny however. Damn that game and its voodoo.

jacobeid

Banned
I wish that there was less of a focus of including multiplayer elements to single player games (mass effect 3 for example), but overall I'm pretty happy. Lots of great indies for the surprise innovative games, Platinum is still making character action games, and Street Fighter V's release is imminent.

Jay Sosa

Platformers are my bread and butter. Nintendo has that covered. 16/8 bit inspired platformers are very typical on the indie scene. 3D platformers have quieted down but that's just the way things trend.

Quieted down is a nice way to put it. The genre basically died with the N64.

I would say my needs are being met as much or more so than ever before but a lot of that is because I like a lot of different genres and because kickstarter has caused some pretty awesome things to come to market.

I'm excited for blops3 tomorrow, for example, but I still need to get through pillars of eternity, wasteland 2, shadowrun dragonfall, shadowrun hong kong, divinity: original sin...and those are just in that one genre. I could list my backlog of legitimately great games I want to get through for days.

Hakai

Nope!

I love 3D platformers, and even Nintendo is lacking in this one!

Ratchet and clank is looking good, but dunno if it is actually a platformer!

Kinda yes, kinda no.

On one hand, more big budget jRPG's are coming out this generation than the last. Star Ocean, SaGa,Kingdom Hearts, FF, Persona, etc. are all getting sequels of some kind or spin offs that appeal to me. Games like Gravity Rush 2, Zero Time Dilemma and Ace Attorney 6 are being made and localized. That's pretty nice.

On the other, I really miss serious tries at 3D Platformers. Granted I'm not helping much since I haven't bought Tearaway or anything else I could be missing, but I really miss series like Ape Escape, the 3D Mario's, Banjo Kazooie, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger and things like that. Even if the quality wasn't always the best on the games of the genre, I really miss playing them anyways. Looking forward to A Hat in Time, if it ever comes out.

However I could always use more crossover fighters. I pray for the return of CvS, MvC or general Vs. games.

The_Lump

Banned
I'm clearly not in the 'mainstream' target demographic anymore and I'm OK with that.

I have enough to keep me going.

And I have my memories.

Bl@de

Yes. Only one genre is nearly dead.

Survival-Horror -> Nope. One game a year is not enough (Evil Within, Fatal Frame)

RPG -> Yes. Everything you need. Action, Turn-based cRPGs ... all here. Couldn't be better. Well it could. A new Wizardry would be great. But we get the Bard's Tale 4 ... so at least there is that.

Action -> There is always enough action with the Uncharteds etc. But it's not the most important genre to me.

4Tran

I guess it depends on how you think of the video game industry. The AAA publishers don't really interest me much, and a lot of people think of these games as the only ones worth considering. However, the other publishers and developers are constantly releasing tons on interesting/compelling/cool games. Kickstarter has especially been a big boon to niche genres that had been underserved. In fact, I'm buy way more games now than I'll ever have time to play. If the gaming industry were to die suddenly, I'd still have no end of games to indulge in.

Manu

Yes and no. Some of the things I loved from previous gens are nowhere to be seen. On the other hand, there's so much variety outside of the AAA bubble that I find myself developing a taste for games I'd never thought I'd like in the past.

Tain

I love a lot of the industry's current output. I don't feel like I'm being left out overall.

There are certain types of design that I love that aren't being covered alllll that thoroughly these days (focused arcade design to be general), but I feel like the industry created such a ridiculous abundance of that sort of game in the past that I'm not at all lacking. I'd like Cave to continue making cutting-edge 2D shooters, but if the genre is over I won't be crying. There are so many great ones.

Neff

Absolutely. This year alone I bought, and loved

Revelations 2
Bloodborne
Splatoon
Arkham Knight
The Phantom Pain
Transformers Devastation
Devil's Third
Yoshi's Wooly World

And I still have Fallout 4 (and potentially Twilight Princess HD) to come.

Misha

Banned
Adventure games and cRPGs made a comeback so mostly, yeah

Would like more in the lines of couch coop tho

Videoneon

The JRPGs I want don't exist or flop, so no.

Visual novels are really hit and miss. If you only care about Ace Attorney or Zero Escape that's great. There are some Adventure games I'm looking forward to.

platformers? that's a non-starter. >=(

I'm staying afloat. AAA doesn't suit me in the slightest but there are things to play now and then. This isn't really a state of being to be especially excited about.

Absolutely.

There are games in just about any genre if you are on PC.

Console is a different story of course but the options are definitely out there.

No, not really.

The loss of the mid-tier and the collapse of Japan's console presence has deeply cut into my spending habits.

Most $60 AAA games leave me cold; their marketing and design tropes have become so common that they all sort of blend into one year long mass of hype mining with various names. The indie titles that are actually worth playing, meanwhile, are often geared toward niches I just don't fall into. Thus despite the crazy sales on PC, I actually buy less games now than I did when I mainly played on console.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Well, somebody made Factorio.

It'd be nice if square hurried the hell up, though.

Ninjimbo

I'm pretty satisfied. My favorite genres are well-represented. I think the industry could use more Zelda-like games, but I think having a Zelda once every two years is enough for me. I usually get my fill playing the latest.

One genre I'm worried about disappearing is the one Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden fall into. Considering the best games in that genre are made by Japanese studios that don't control their own fate, it's hard to see a future that includes a DMC-style game as a major title. Hopefully I'm overreacting though.

Top Bottom