• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you find the industry still caters to your gaming tastes sufficiently?

No, which is why I buy fewer and fewer games.

Survival Horror, my fav genre is pretty much dead, replaced with a bunch of not survival horror games falsely calling themselves survival horror.

Most other things I enjoy are suffering from dumbing down, which also explains the survival horror death, because those games required you think just a little bit.

Purkake4

Banned
No, which is why I buy fewer and fewer games.

Survival Horror, my fav genre is pretty much dead, replaced with a bunch of not survival horror games falsely calling themselves survival horror.

Most other things I enjoy are suffering from dumbing down, which also explains the survival horror death, because those games required you think just a little bit.
So what's good Survival Horror and what happened?

Deadstar

Yeah definitely not a lot of big budget. Going a little smaller though, Did you try Grey Goo? People seemed to enjoy it more than most Starcraft-alikes. Also I think that Satellite Reign went way under the radar this year if you enjoy small scale squad/objective based RTS's.

Yeah I tried Grey Goo during the free weekend but it didn't really grab me. I like the idea of the goo race but I think they should have had some buildings. I also didn't like how you build in nodes. I like RTS games that let you build wherever you want. There weren't really a lot of buildings to make either. Overall it was okay but nothing that screams must buy although the soundtrack was incredible.

AzaK

There's usually something for me to play but I was very much born and brought up in the day of twitch gaming in the arcades. So I love shooters like Galaxian, Gyruss, Scramble and all that good shit. I get my fix of those simple, reflex based games through games like CoD and Rocket League so I'm pretty happy.

Where I think things lack for me are the adventure games like Ultima IV as everything is pretty much first or third person and in 3d (Polygons, not stereoscopic).

NOTE: There might be good stuff on computer to play that fits this bull but I hate play on a computer nowadays and consoles

So what's good Survival Horror and what happened?

fun fact: everyone's definition of survival horror is different from everyone else's. One of the more useless genre names out there.

"something something resident evil 1 something something silent hill 2 something something yadda yadda"

Purkake4

Banned
fun fact: everyone's definition of survival horror is different from everyone else's. One of the more useless genre names out there.

"something something resident evil 1 something something silent hill 2 something something yadda yadda"
That is kind of why I'm confused. As far as I understand the controls have had to keep up with other genres and that takes the horror out of it?

Protip: If you like real time 4X stuff Distant Worlds: Universe is where its at. It's pretty hard core, but you can let AI do a lot of the micro stuff for you as you get into it.

Harlequin

No. The only game that really still does that is Mirror's Edge (if Catalyst won't be too dumbed down compared to the original, that is). There are other games which partly do what I like (you know, games that have the type of stories or atmosphere I enjoy) but gameplay-wise, Mirror's Edge is more or less the only one that still offers the type of gameplay I tend to enjoy the most.

Not at all, most publisher are now pushing "Holliwood" standards, which mean the same tired western fantasy and sci-fi settings.

No more room for real fantasy. Also, everything is chewed and then spit on you. Imagination be darned.

RMI

Banned
console generation has been quite poor so far for me (barring the Wii U) but most of my gaming is done on handhelds these days so I'm quite happy with the 3DS and Vita in terms of quantity/quality of content.

Worried about handhelds after the Vita loses support. I hope Sony gives it another shot so that there can be an alternative to Nintendo's platform. Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo's handhelds but it's nice to have options.

BadWolf

More or less, yeah.

Fighting game releases are still healthy and JRPGs seem to be making a big 'comeback' on PS4. Resident Evil and Devil May Cry seem to be alive and well too.

MGS (my fave series ever along with KOF) is dead but that was bound to happen some day. Looking forward to what Kojima does next.

I question the tastes of the publishers actually when a game like PT (Silent Hills) gets cancelled after all that positive feedback.

Hell yeah it does. Between my xbox, playstation, wii U and PC, I have more games than time. Really though, I am 30 and have been gaming since I could hold a controller and to me, this is the best time for games to this point. The variety is outstanding.

In terms of the mainstream industry, not really. Shooters and "open world" games, which seem to be the flavors of the month (or I guess generation?) usually don't appeal to me. That tends to extend to most Western-developed games as well. I feel like we're not getting enough Japanese-developed action, adventure, and RPG titles, which are my favorite genres. In general I feel like Japanese developers are disappearing off the face of the planet, which makes me kind of sad.

However, I think I'll still be okay so long as companies like PlatinumGames, Nintendo, Atlus, FromSoft, and Bandai Namco remain in business.

Not really, no. Nintendo continues to make what I like as they always have but I used to supplement them with 3rd party action games and RPGs and the AAA direction has been off putting to me. I do not like photo realistic art styles and attempts of games to go all Hollywood. Yes, yes, indie will save us...so I've been told. I'm not interested in 8 bit art styles and would like to play something with a bit more of a budget. I guess what I'm saying is I dearly miss the B-tier games of yesteryear (or more accurately, the big games of yesteryear that would classify as B-tier today).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Not really, no.

I like arcade racers. There are none these days that's aren't open world.
I like 3d platformers. Pretty much dead.
I like 3rd person story driven action/adventure games. With the exception of a few, now they're all checklist open world games with RPG mechanics that are chores to play.
I like competitive online games where skill is more important than play time. RPG mechanics again ruined this.

I don't really have a ton of time, so it's not so bad.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
No. Big budget turn-based RPGs aren't really a thing these days.

Pretty much this.

Turn-based JRPG is my favorite genre of all time, but it's basically a dead genre these days.

Not at all, most publisher are now pushing "Holliwood" standards, which mean the same tired western fantasy and sci-fi settings.

No more room for real fantasy. Also, everything is chewed and then spit on you. Imagination be darned.

Also this.

I rarely get invested in games these days mostly because I have no way of connecting with it. A lot of the time I feel like I'm nothing more than an observer watching the game basically play itself.

I've been playing The Dark Spire on the DS lately though and that game is right up my alley!

-MD-

Sort of. Some of my favorite genres have cease to exist but others are being revived. I guess these things come in waves.

I can't say I'm satisfied with the current industry though.

I like 3d platformers. Pretty much dead.

With stuff like Yooka-Laylee and A Hat in Time coming I disagree, this is one of the revivals I was referring to.

There are more lesser known ones I'm looking forward to as well, hope more get greenlit.

greg400

Banned
The industry at large? Probably not, way too much generic open-world trash that doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Razzorn34

In terms of the mainstream industry, not really. Shooters and "open world" games, which seem to be the flavors of the month (or I guess generation?) usually don't appeal to me. That tends to extend to most Western-developed games as well. I feel like we're not getting enough Japanese-developed action, adventure, and RPG titles, which are my favorite genres. In general I feel like Japanese developers are disappearing off the face of the planet, which makes me kind of sad.

However, I think I'll still be okay so long as companies like PlatinumGames, Nintendo, Atlus, FromSoft, and Bandai Namco remain in business.

Yep. Basically where I'm at. My tastes have never resonated with Western game philosophy. I'd probably have to hang up my controller if Western games was all there was to play.

I can still count on Platinum, Nintendo, and FromSoftware for gameplay focused games, no matter what they are about. That, and Capcom for Street Fighter.

Purkake4

Banned
my favorite genre is turn based RPGs, and I love big budget turn based rpgs
This is true, but I feel like it's probably the only genre where that's the case. Pretty much everything else is either covered by AAA developers or by indies pretty well these days.
There's Divinity: OS, Wasteland 2 and Torment should hopefully be coming out next year for the turn-based RPG crowd.

EDIT: Also the Banner Saga.

Yes, but not to the extent that I want.

There are still good RPGs out there if you look, but not enough.

The thing is, if they shifted towards RPG's, that would probably mean leaving another genre out in the rain though.

televator

There's no more StarWars space shooters and Battlefront got turned into a FPS... so no. There's also no 3D Metroid, no Panzer Dragoon, and free roam platformers are soooo fucking rare. Horror is mostly an indie gimmick now. The genre pool has diminished too far and I don't think indies have filled in the gaps sufficiently.

Zornack

Definitely. The vast majority is games which I do not care about but there's so many these days that my needs are certainly being met.

Thanks to importing, I have not been for lack of games to play.
The industry is still getting it done, I just have to reach out to the other side of the Pacific fairly regularly.

sn00zer

Yuuuuup while my number one franchises havent seen games in years, Im learning to get into a lot more different types of games and relearning what I like and dont like.

Shoeless

I'm more old school and prefer both JRPGs and CRPGs, along with adventure games and starfighter simulations like Wing Commander and X-Wing/TIE Fighter back in the day.

My JRPG habit has taken a nosedive, but CRPGs are still nicely represented with BioWare, Bethesda and even Larian studios with Divinity recently. I haven't seen much in the way of starfigher simulations but I'm hoping VR and games like Star Citizen will start addressing that. Adventure games however, have made a nice comeback in recent years, so I can't complain much about that anymore.

Jhoan

While there's a nice abundance of JRPGs, action games, and open world exploration games, beat em up games have been on a massive decline so I would say no in regards to that genre. The Yakuza series has done a good job in ensuring that beat em ups stay alive and a few indie devs have made some solid beat em ups but not much. I mean no dev has yet to copy God Hand's deep and completely customizable combat system yet.

As a whole though, I'm satisfied even if there are far too many shooters these days. Nintendo continues to produce solid games and even take risks with creating new games. As long as the likes of From Software, Platinum Games, and smaller indie devs try to innovate rather than copy/mash up genres, it's on a good course. I think WRPGs are getting better for sure.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Personally, while I do love platformers, I do miss the 3D platformers.

Outside of that genre, I do wish more JPRGs would get localized--I'm looking at DQ as a huge culprit here.

What about you?

Ratchet and Clank is coming next year which looks awesome.

As for JRPG's...it seems like Japanese devs are basically throwing everything out there now compared to last gen when we barely had anything in the last half.

In the next few years, literally nobody who is a JRPG fan should be complaining if they own a current gen console(unless your XB1)

Grief.exe

AAA development? By and large no.
I've grown tired of the extremely shallow, heavily focus-tested, and heavily marketed AAA development.

Indie and mid-tier are catering to my tastes.

Harlequin

With stuff like Yooka-Laylee and A Hat in Time coming I disagree, this is one of the revivals I was referring to.

There are more lesser known ones I'm looking forward to as well, hope more get greenlit.

True but if you're into less cartoony 3D platformers (like Core Design's Tomb Raider games or Mirror's Edge) there really isn't a lot on offer. Not even in the indie scene as far as I'm aware.

gelf

I'd say a good half of my tastes is not being catered to. From Soft, Platinum and some indies do a decent job of providing to some of my tastes but really no one is satisfying my craving for the kind of arcade style output the likes of Sega used to produce consistently.

It seems the most healthy arcade style genre is the 2D shmup which happens to be one I can't get into unfortunately.

I also feel a need for more exploration rather then combat focused action adventure games set in tightly designed levels rather then open worlds.

More or less, yeah.

Fighting game releases are still healthy and JRPGs seem to be making a big 'comeback' on PS4. Resident Evil and Devil May Cry seem to be alive and well too.

MGS (my fave series ever along with KOF) is dead but that was bound to happen some day. Looking forward to what Kojima does next.

Stop beating me to my own opinion.

But thanks for emphasizing a few things I might not have, as I'm sort of surprised RE and DMC are still alive in some way.

Given the breadth MGS already established (even if incomplete), I'm glad the series did mostly reach a conclusion with V. Little-to-no chance of a Rising sequel hurts more, but Platinum still makes great games, so I'm happy.

Melchiah

So far it does. I've played 30 games this gen already, and I love the amount of horror/thriller games available. Indies are partly to be thanked for that. I do miss arcade racing, and wish there would be more linear 3rd person games. It's worrying, how many of the big budget games are turning towards the open world fad. Hopefully it eventually grows old and stale, and people begin to want something more than big maps full of markers from their games.

Top Bottom