• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you find the industry still caters to your gaming tastes sufficiently?

rpg_fan

Yeah, rpg's are on the rise lately. Both western and Japanese. A while back it was looking less than wonderful. Kickstarter really has... kickstarted(sorry) crpg's.

Yes but I'm getting nervous. Spending 140$ on a game only to get microtransations added is something I really can't deal with much longer. Hell even 60$ games should focus on DLC or expansions.

Jhoan

Oh yeah, brawlers tend to not be made much anymore. Castle Crashers is the last game I can remember.

There have been a few solid brawlers in the last couple of years including Charlie Murder, Foul Play, Double Dragon: Neon (which has a great soundtrack by Jake Virt Kaufman), and Phatom Breaker: Battlegrounds. River City Ransom is getting a sequel of sorts in the form of River City Ransom: Underground which is on Steam Greenlight.

Arc System Works also bought some of Million's IPs which includes Double Dragon and the aforementioned River City Ransom IP so I have faith in them making use of said IPs even if it's on small scale (digital distribution release). Crowd funded brawlers seems to be the way forward to ensuring that the genre stays alive.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I think so. I don't really have too many complaints aside from needing a bit more 3D platformers.

One of the biggest problems I've had, but thankfully hasn't been an issue since the PS2 days is that we no longer have to deal with all those damn GTA clones. I mean, yes they still exist, but I feel aside from the obvious inclusion of GTA itself, and some other copycats, that market has dwindled significantly since.

I think currently gaming is probably the most diverse it's ever been. We've seen a nice rise in 2D platformers, which is one of my favorite genres, so that's made me enjoy these times a lot more.

texore

Aside from indies, I feel like the industry is starting to cater to only a few tastes. Compared to my PS1/PS2 days it's kind of bland for me.

etrain911

I'm a big fan of 3D collectathon platformers, and this year has been rather sparse aside from Yooka-Laylee and a few other kickstarter titles to be released next year. I also love rhythm games which this year has had in abundance and Animal Crossing-esque games which have also been rather sparse.

Saucy_XL

Banned
not as much as before but yes. There aren't enough good RTS's for the computer imo. However, the selection in games is so much bigger now though that it's hard to not find something you'll like.

Yes. I can't think of a genre of game that I like that isn't represented.

2D platformers? check. Action adventure? check. RPG's? check. Puzzle games? check. Party games? check. Shooters? check.

People must have some obscenely obscure tastes to feel that they are not being catered to in this market. I'm struggling to think of a genre or style of game that has not had some level of representation across consoles, pc and mobile over the last 5 years.

If you're talking AAA only, probably not - I love shooters and open world games too, but I'd be disappointed if thats all there was.

Happily, middle tier budget games have made a strong comeback in recent years, and indie games help cover the genres which are less well represented. The decline of dedicated handheld gaming had me worried that JRPG's in particular were running out of places to shine, but they seem to have made a smooth transition to the PC via Steam.

I'm in a good place right now - the modern gaming industry has something for everybody.

farisr

Sufficiently, I don't know. I have a backlog, but that isn't necessarily stuff from my most wanted genres.

-It's been a while since I've seen a high production value JRPG, at least in terms of what I consider high production value.
-Full fledged 3d platformers (on non-Nintendo platforms) are extremely rare.
-Devs are going towards open world more and more, which I don't like.
-No arcadey racing games to properly take place of Ridge Racer.
-No game to properly take place of the non-Paradise Burnout titles.
-No game to properly take place of NFS Underground, the new NFS is not it.
-SSX probably will not have another entry after the 2012 entry not doing so well
-Tony Hawk turned out horrible
-No splitscreen or local MP whatsoever in a Halo game
-On that note, less games offering local MP options, though hopefully with the great reception of Rocket League, and Black Ops 3 including these modes in a big way, more devs will reconsider and the trend will begin to shift soon

I could go on and on it seems.

I suppose they're sufficient enough in providing games I have at least a little bit of interest in and want to play. I think overall, general quality of games has gone up compared to last gen and I have probably played more games as a result as well. But as for games/genres that I get really hyped or have a significant amount of interest in, those seem to be rare.

texore

Sufficiently, I don't know. I have a backlog, but that isn't necessarily stuff from my most wanted genres.

-It's been a while since I've seen a high production value JRPG, at least in terms of what I consider high production value.
-Full fledged 3d platformers (on non-Nintendo platforms) are extremely rare.
-Devs are going towards open world more and more, which I don't like.
-No arcadey racing games to properly take place of Ridge Racer.
-No game to properly take place of the non-Paradise Burnout titles.
-No game to properly take place of NFS Underground, the new NFS is not it.
-SSX probably will not have another entry after the 2012 entry not doing so well
-Tony Hawk turned out horrible
-No splitscreen or local MP whatsoever in a Halo game
-On that note, less games offering local MP options, though hopefully with the great reception of Rocket League, and Black Ops 3 including these modes in a big way, more devs will reconsider and the trend will begin to shift soon

I could go on and on it seems.

I suppose they're sufficient enough in providing games I have at least a little bit of interest in and want to play. I think overall, general quality of games has gone up compared to last gen and I have probably played more games as a result as well. But as for games/genres that I get really hyped or have a significant amount of interest in, those seem to be rare.
Well this is pretty much me.

xaviorq8

Not really...

I miss turn based JRPGs, and even the JRPGs that do still come out tend to rely too heavily on modern anime tropes. (Anime largely stopped catering to my tastes around the mid-to-late 2000s.) Very excited for Xenoblade X, though, and since I was team Nintendo during the PS1/PS2 eras, there are still a lot of JRPGs for those consoles that I'm picking up when I find them to play.

Quality 4x games have always been too few and far between, so not much new there.

I really miss RTS games on PC. Funny to think how over saturated that genre was at some point, with only Star Craft 2 having much relevance currently, and even it is underwhelming as a "total package" experience. (Campaign has been fairly fun, skirmish/multiplayer is completely unappealing.)

Really wish Supreme Commander 2 hadn't been the steaming pile it is, and we could get another worthwhile entry. Or hell, just Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance remastered with multi-threading support and memory leaks fixed would be amazing!

Western RPGs still tend to be quite appealing, but still often fall a bit short of their predecessors. Well, except for the Witcher series; that shit is legit! Oh, and props to New Vegas as well.

Had really high hopes for Pillars of Eternity, but while I do like it, the experience comes off a bit shallow in too many places to really love it. Also, hate the level cap!

Age of Decadence is similarly promising in concept, but lacking in some of it's execution. For all the paths it offers you to go down, a path once chosen tends to be a little to inflexible in deviating away from if desired.

Why aren't there more games like the Star Wolves series?

Really though, most of my complaints with the industry today come down to rising production costs limiting scale and scope. I hate that the largest worlds to explore in gaming are still found in DOS games! Well, excepting Mine Craft and Dwarf Fortress, that is.

I also prefer simulation aspects which tend to not be very popular. I want to have to dress my character according to climate to not freeze or over-heat (Neo Scavenger does this fairly well.), eat and drink to survive, have somewhat historically relative prices for even basic gear (Mount and Blade is a decent example), and have a world with non-trivial traversal times (Let's use Realms of Arkania for this example). Don't even get me started on the simulation aspects I want to see in spaceship based gaming!

Speaking of spaceship based gaming, it crushes my soul that no-one seems interested in ever making a modern Starflight!

I'm just rambling at this point, so let me also gripe that too many indie games are style over substance now, too!

Nintendo is extremely frustrating now days! As hopeful as I am that the beautiful Zelda Wii U
/NX
will be a "return to form", I know it really won't be. At least, not the return to the form I want, which is less puzzles and more action, like the early games. And as for Mario, I do want more 3D Mario, but DAMN IT, I really want to see a new 2D Mario that isn't left to a b-team, budget effort!

Actually, here's the thing about Nintendo: They don't know how to make sequels! They HAVE made sequels, many of which have turned out awesome, but it all seems like some great fluke in hindsight. Entertainment is about content, and games are no different. Gameplay and graphics are usually the highlighted elements, but really it's the content that makes most people give two shits about your game. Yet, when Nintendo makes a sequel, they try too hard to innovate and be creative and pull rainbows out of their asses! (Also a problem with most indies!) They give you similar or even near identical content, but tweak or even completely change the gameplay on you! Take Star Fox for instance! I love Star Fox! Loved it on the SNES, loved it on N64! Even though SF64 was in many respects a "remake", it still added tons of new content. I wanted more! So what in the Nazi-juicing fuck was Star Fox Adventures!? Assault was meh at best, and then the gimmicky assed touch control fuster-cluck of Command was just miserable! (And repetitive to seventeen faults!) I am equally excited and concerned for Zero, and seven times as pissed that they proudly admitted they sat on the franchise just because they didn't know what to fuck up about the formula next! Seriously, stop trying to reinvent the wheel! You have a good wheel! Stop reworking it in the same place and use it to go somewhere new!!!!

Virtual console...

Still love you Nintendo, but you drive me nuts!

I think Steam is a mediocre service (Greenlight and Early Access have made it far too frustrating to find worthwhile content) that is in fact DRM, has contributed largely to the devaluing of games, and I really don't get why people see it as anything other than.

I don't care much for online gaming, and MMO's are miserably boring because they are all just WoW under the hood. (Best MMO still goes to Ultima Online: The Second Age.)

I honestly spend most of my gaming time and budget on older games, be it GOG or retro console stuff.

tl;dr: Yelling profusely at clouds.

BadWolf

Stop beating me to my own opinion.

But thanks for emphasizing a few things I might not have, as I'm sort of surprised RE and DMC are still alive in some way.

Given the breadth MGS already established (even if incomplete), I'm glad the series did mostly reach a conclusion with V. Little-to-no chance of a Rising sequel hurts more, but Platinum still makes great games, so I'm happy.

lol

Yeah, MGS is luckily complete for the most part. Sure it would be neat to see a game about Raiden saving Sunny and losing his real body or a game about the Boss but at least the Big Boss and Solid Snake stories have been told in full (I'm personally very satisfied with the way MGSV closed the loop on the series and also with MGS4's ending as conclusion to BB and SS's stories).

Still hoping Konami comes to its senses and green-lights MGR2 by PG -_-

For the most part yeah. I miss my big budget RPG's, but that's because the grand majority of them are mishandled and are still coming out, just...slowly and in the distance. Ultimately I have nothing to complain about, there's always something ground breaking and interesting to play if you're willing to put the time into it.

You should play The Fall.

I mean, a new Mario Tennis drops in like a week.

I'd like another SSX though. The last one wasn't bad, it just....lacked soul, made a lot of bad decisions...

I doesn't look good though and who else are making them really? Shit, I'd like to see another Hot Shots Tennis.

Playing SWTOR again due to SW hype. Battlefront coming out soon. Black Ops 3 tonight.

My wife and I have been playing Divinity: Original Sin on PS4 splitscreen and loving it.

Madden 16 = best Madden in years.

Bloodborne came out this year and DS3 is out next year.

A decent Assassin's Creed with a good female lead character actually came out this year.

Oh yes, all is well with the gaming world IMO.

Kickstarter brought me Divinity on the PS4 from Larian. The "industry" as I personally define it probably wouldn't have. I am extremely grateful for all of these crowd funded projects.

Timeaisis

JRPGs I feel are lacking quite a bit. But there are plenty of other games I never knew I wanted that I now love. So I'd say yes and no.

Jpope

Neo Member
RPG's aren't as plentiful as they once were.
Even more so after shooters and action games took their leveling systems and scrapped everything else about 'em.

grimmiq

First time in probably a decade that I've had to keep an eye on bargain sites/store sales because there are too many upcoming games I want to play so I want to save every $ I can. Next year is going to be tough on my bank account, largely due to the return of a lot of JRPGs.

Wagram

Well the resurgence of JRPGs as of late has been extremely nice. Now if only we can get more games that are actually challenging instead of mashing X to win. Easy games are so damn boring.

I can't stand FPS, last generation was more of a struggle, but I don't play as often so there's enough other games. Big fan of the indie rise on console.

sleepykyo

Not particularly. Big budget jrpgs are gone, good character action games are few and far between, and linear but well crafted levels have been replaced with bland open worlds with awful set pieces.

Hugstable

Banned
I like alot of different genres and types, and really I like anything as long as it's a well built and good preforming game. So I would say yes, the industry is still catering to my tastes, whatever that may be.

Absolutely. I think adventure games have gotten a lot better since I started playing in the late 90s. I could have only dreamed of games like The Witcher 3 and GTA IV. I'm not much of a hardcore gamer, so I'll eat up pretty much anything as long as it's fun and/or well-developed. Fallout 4 looks right up my alley, however flawed it is as well as it's previous installment.

I love me games today. I just miss the often feeling of being completely blown away. Still a lot of fun.

Needs more point and click though. Telltale doesn't do anything for that longing.

foamdino

The AAA industry is doing nothing for me at all - nothing from EA, Ubi or the other major players really interests me at all.

On the other hand the variety in the indie scene is fantastic and I haven't finished all the small gems I picked up at the last steam splurge I had (winter sale is incoming).

So it depends on what kind of gamer you are - if you enjoy military shooters, open world games (ubi style) and [IMO} wrung-out 'sports' titles then I guess you're extremely well catered for as these seem to be the current hot games.

ARPGs have had a minor comeback and Blizzard has jumped into lane-pushing/MOBA games so there's that.

I'm spending more time with LoL and Path of Exile and am only really considering a console for my son to play Minecraft on.

Daingurse

It feels like my tastes have adapted to what this industry dishes out in a way. I honestly feel fairly content. There are more games I'm interested in coming out than I'll ever have time for.

Lothar

Banned
I don't think so. My favorite genres are survival horror, NES/SNES style challenging 2D platformers, split-screen multiplayer, and JRPGs. I haven't looked too hard in the current gen but I haven't seen anyone talking about great games that have come out recently in those genres. Just undertale, which I'm going to play.

I've played and beaten a ton of games this year but none that are newer than the PS2.

There is still stuff out there that does yes. Good RPG's are still coming out, as well as turn based SRPG's, just not as frequently. Platinum exists thank god.

On the whole though I guess it doesn't. I am not a huge online MP gamer nor a big fan of FPS's.

The golden era of the genres I adore happened when I was just starting to get into them. Luckily I can enjoy Square's PS1 golden era wherever I want on my Vita, so that's nice.

No, not really. No one really makes colorful arcade games that ooze style like Sega did and local multiplayer is becoming less and less of a thing.

It's why I pretty much only buy Nintendo stuff, along with indie games and some niche-ish Japanese third party games.

Eusis

I think maybe a bit better than a few years ago, but nothing like the late 2000s and earlier. Japan in particular has been crazy uneven, with companies like Konami effectively vanishing from my radar yet Square Enix looks to be re-entering it (depending partially on localization choices anyway), and Capcom perhaps best embodies being all over the place there. Nevermind how much I've liked dedicated handhelds and just as they were gaining traction in the mainstream the rug's pulled out from under them by mobile... and likely snapping their fucking necks from the fall.

Actually, I guess it's cautious optimism now: No idea where dedicated handhelds will REALLY go as Nintendo holds those reins and Square Enix is much more gunshy than they were with the DS, but SE's producing more of their Japanese core content for consoles again and we're seeing stuff like Bloodstained on the horizon for loads of platforms. Nevermind companies like Falcom are still going quite strong, it really does seem more like the old titans are falling while the smaller players are thriving, and possibly SE reviving.

EDIT: I also think my tastes are flexible enough that I can jump to some other stuff or reasonably enjoy what I CAN get. Nevermind stuff like Dark Souls has hit my sweet spot VERY well and as long as that type of gameplay is produced I'll be convinced it's worth sticking aroud.

Garuda1One

Im still craving for rts and not much is out there.. i havent looked into indie for rts, anybody knows a good one ?

Crayon

Better than ever. And it's all thanks to kickstarter. These adventure platformers, these iso rpgs, the strategy games and roguelikes are what I live for. I feel like the aaa game market could dry up and fall off and I wouldn't miss it all that much.

Monocle

Yep, no doubt. Platinum's never been busier, Nintendo is still releasing great first party titles, and a good few AAA franchises definitely appeal to me. Halo, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed... Also, 3D fighters are still a thing.

Apart from those, there are tons of excellent open world games I've been enjoying. Shadow of Mordor, Sunset Overdrive, Saints Row 4 (a bit older but still really good), the Far Cry and Just Cause and Elder Scrolls series, etc. Plenty of good original games too. Even rereleases/remasters are fun to check out once in a while.

Finally, game graphics have advanced to the point where a good number of male characters are genuinely hunky. And gay representation is gradually increasing, which is totally relevant to my interests.

The last couple generations have been great.

shoreu

So long as halo exist, WoW returns to glory, Bethesda keeps making games, Fable and Gears keep on churning, and I have a steady supply of New AAA IP's i'll be good. I never hope indies become the norm, and AAA's fall off.

KevinCow

Banned
Not really. I seem to find myself buying and enjoying fewer new games every year. And I don't like shooters or open world RPGs, so there goes 90% of AAA games.

SparkTR

Kind of. There's lots of cRPGs, strategy games, space sims and simulators on the market these days, but there's not enough RTS or Stealth games.

I guess so yes, but only because I play less these days than I did in the past. The trend goes towards more online connected games pve/pvp I think, that's not my cup of tea. Also too much hand holding-games that only exist for the spectacle of their set pieces, they are boring.

I still find enough to keep me busy but there are many games I ignore now, a couple of years back that was unthinkable. If this continues further (which I believe it will) then my answer will be different.

Top Bottom