• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you find the industry still caters to your gaming tastes sufficiently?

Vinland

Banned
I have more games on my bucket list than I've ever had. So yes. But bioware need to find out how they can capitalize on mass effect. I could really use more, like 2 a year. Even if they are spinoffs and isolated stories.

I like JRPGs, platformers, adventure games, and music/rhythm games.

While none of these are at the forefront for the most part, I find no shortage of playing games I want to play.

Also, THANK GOD that FPS craze ended.

We've got Persona 5, Zero Escape 3, Danganronpa 3, NieR Automata, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian, Digimon Story, Ni-Oh, Dark Souls III, Ys 8, The Legend of Zelda
NX
, Kingdom Hearts III and more coming out.

So yeah.

I'd like more 3D platformers but I'm not gonna complain about that too much with everything else there is for me.

Rhythm Heaven 3DS also needs to be localised :c

GamerJM

Banned
Sort of. There are enough fighters, JRPGs, platformers, and rhythm games for me, even if none of them are dominant genres.

redcrayon

Shooters, online multiplayer and open-world action games that aren't RPGs aren't really my thing, so the trend for those in AAA games, and a lack of strategy titles, means I only play one or two home console games a year.

Most of the genres I like are the domain of indies, PC and handheld now. I'm ok with that, there's more choice than ever, so the amalgamation of lots of AAA franchises into one mega-genre doesn't bother me too much, I can see why it's happened.

Cuzco

Banned
I want more closed world RPGs. Not linear, but like KOTOR, where its semi open world. Or Darksiders.

More games like Deus ex also. Basically, more Action Rpgs pls.

Durante

If you had asked me 3 years ago, my answer would have been a resounding "NO".

In 2015 though, after Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Might and Magic X, Wasteland 2, hell, even Age of Decadence?

I have to say yes, absolutely. Maybe not "the industry" at large, but enough rebel forces for it not to matter.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Not quite. I want more turn-based, non-pervy big budget JRPGs like the golden age of the 16 and 32 bit era. I want more dark gothic action/adventure/RPGs like Legacy of Kain and Dark Souls. I want more sprawling RPGs with amazing combat like Dragon's Dogma. I want more Monster Hunters on consoles. I want more HD 2D games like Dragon's Crown, perhaps in Metroidvania or Wonder Boy style. Pixel art is fine if it's exceptionally good, but sometimes it's just too retro looking and not visually pleasing at all.

So I am impatiently waiting for Death's Gambit, Bloodstained, Ghost Song, Salt & Sanctuary, Cosmic Star Heroine, Indivisible, Horizon Dawn Zero, Ys 8, and of course, Dark Souls 3. Then maybe I can say "yeah, sure". xD

Still drawing a blank. Can I get some examples? Do you mean like Clock Tower stuff?

All good survival horror games are puzzle games at heart, Resident Evil, SIlent Hill, Siren series, etc etc.

Everything in the games not a puzzle has the effect of making the task of completing puzzles harder.

Pieces of the puzzle not all present so need find them, maze like environments to make getting the pieces harder, enemies in the enviroments to make traversing the maze harder, limited supplies to make dealing with enemies harder.

It all leads back to solving a puzzle, and the really good moments are when the enviroments and enemies get used as part of a puzzle, puzzles within puzzles.

iNvid02

im a AAA open world whore so its all good

although, wouldnt mind more games on the indie side but with higher production values

TheFatMan

I feel my needs are met pretty well. I'm a big WRPG and JRPG kind of guy, and I seem to be getting at least a few of those a year now between my PS4, PC, Wii U and N3DS.

Hell this year alone I've played Witcher 3, Dragon Age DLC, Trails FC and now SC, Xenoblade X and Tales of Zesteria.

I still play a lot of other games obviously, but my main itch is still being scratched very well by the big studios.

gelf

All good survival horror games are puzzle games at heart, Resident Evil, SIlent Hill, Siren series, etc etc.

Everything in the games not a puzzle has the effect of making the task of completing puzzles harder.

Pieces of the puzzle not all present so need find them, maze like environments to make getting the pieces harder, enemies in the enviroments to make traversing the maze harder, limited supplies to make dealing with enemies harder.

It all leads back to solving a puzzle, and the really good moments are when the enviroments and enemies get used as part of a puzzle, puzzles within puzzles.

You've described what I miss about those games really well. Seems we both miss the kind of features that since got cut for streamlining purposes in the push to get straight to the action.

Let me just say: thank whatever for the indie scene!

Ultra-difficult games like Binding of Isaac and Super Meat Boy.
Adventure games like Resonance and The Inner World.
Party-oriented games like both Jack Packs and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

That said, Nintendo has given us a bunch of local multiplayer games, though I love what the indie scene has done with Gang Beasts and Sports Friends.

Perhaps too much so. Way too many legitimately good open world action/RPG games are coming out for me to keep abreast of them.

The lack of big budget cRPG games (e.g. Dragon Age Origins...and no, Inquisition doesn't count) is rather sad, but the indie scene has picked up the slack admirably, if with less visual panache than I'd like (yes, DAO isn't exactly a looker but it's 6 years old).

Cloyster

Banned
Hit or Miss.

I got Bayonetta 2, the SE of DMC4, Nier Automata is coming, Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming, Dragon's Dogma is coming back to PC, Senran Kagura comes out consistantly. DOAX3 is getting an English version, Games like Until Dawn come out, Fallout 4 is coming...

I get my action games, and my girly brawlers and some pretty good RPGs...

I wish more RPGs were set in modern times though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
No.

The industry moved away from console turn-based RPGs, high quality arcade-style gameplay, and that mid budget 'weirdness' so popular in the previous eras. Western game design falls flat with me, as does mobile games with 'gatcha' and 'fusion' systems and status bars and their shitty touch screen controls. Indies are a bright light but a lot of them tend to either be like the games I loved in the past 'cept not as good (there are exceptions... Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge were awesome), or artsy fartsy walking simulators.

Luckily, I'm always discovering more older games (and consoles) to play. And I still have a huge backlog. And this E3 had a few games very specific to my interests... so there's still some hope but I feel those games are just on borrowed time before the Japanese industry completely transitions to mobile.

Top Bottom