• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Give Money to Panhandlers? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in a major city, I get hit up by panhandlers daily. I don't consider myself to be a greedy / stingy person, but the thought never crossed my mind to give these people money. Yet I see people doing so every day. Just curious why, and if I'm seeing this with the wrong mindset?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Because if they are that desperate for money that they are begging this yes I will give them money.

Fat4all

Banned
sometime it's hard to imagine what you would do with your very last dollar until you have to cash it in.

we all just tryin' to make it.

draetenth

No, I'm pretty sure the ones I've seen are the ones who don't need any. Heck, I ride a bus to and from my work in the city and there is one that gets on the bus with me, gets off the bus in the same area as me (a shopping center that acts as a park and ride), and sets up shop at the exit I have to leave from (he gets there faster than I can get to my car and go by him).

Because if they are that desperate for money that they are begging this yes I will give them money.

See I don't get this. They don't even act desperate. Most of the ones I see regularly around my neighborhood chill at the same spot every day and deliver the same routine to passers-by. Kinda like a job almost.

I mean if a lady clutching a starving infant came up to me with tears in her eyes, I mean, yeah wallet would be open. But most of the panhandlers I encounter are not like this.

theecakee

I live in a bit of a rural area, not a lot of panhandlers around.

When I've been in cities though, sometimes I have.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
See I don't get this. They don't even act desperate. Most of the ones I see regularly around my neighborhood chill at the same spot every day and deliver the same routine to passers-by. Kinda like a job almost.

I mean if a lady clutching a starving infant came up to me with tears in her eyes, I mean, yeah wallet would be open. But most of the panhandlers I encounter are not like this.
If someone is clearly just asking for money on the street than you know they have no sense of dignity left, which is why it is appropriate to at least help them out and hope their life gets better.

Fat4all

Banned

You're kinda asking for a lot.

A lot of these people aren't just homeless or begging because they just don't have any money. Depression, mental illness, and many other conditions can factor in.

A gave a girl outside my place $5 yesterday. She looked like she needed it. I know how it feels to be broke and starving. I try and use my best judgement and only give to those that will actually use it for food. Sometimes ill just get a footlong sub at Subway and give them half.

Cipherr

Sure when I have it to spare.

I don't do the whole "Assume the absolute worst scenario ever" nonsense. I don't know why people even bother with that. Must be some sort of internal battle going on there.

I'm a broke college student and I give money to panhandlers when I can. $5 to me is worth less then $5 to them. After I give them the money, I just hope they use it for a good cause.

mAcOdIn

I've mostly stopped. There's few enough people doing it in my town that I'm starting to know some of them and frankly I hate liars. This one guy finally pissed me off to the point where I've mostly stopped because every time he'd basically tie me up with this sad story for 5 minutes and it was always the same story. Fan belt broke in his car on the interstate, guy wants 300 bucks to fix it(lol), just trying to get home and his wife and baby are stuck in the car. After hearing the same old story God knows how many times over the months(maybe years) by the same guy I finally called him out on it and of course that apparently was a racist thing for me to do and I got pissed and since then I've just stopped carrying money altogether. If someone comes up to me and asks for food, gas or a ride I don't mind but I've stopped dealing with money.

And the thing is, I wouldn't even be mad if the guy was just honest to me, but when begging is, I guess your job, and you're in a small enough town and your area is a small area that you work, don't be surprised if people get to know you.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If I have some change, typically I do.

Even if they are faking it, I'd rather have someone who needs a meal get a meal rather than starve.

Spenny

Panhandlers? No. I only give money to people who clearly have psychological disorders as they are the ones who will most likely never be able to drag themselves out of the gutter.

Aurongel

I'm immune to every homeless sob story in the book and I'm not a fan of enabling their manipulative and predatory behavior by rewarding them with money. That being said I've volunteered in soup kitchens before and also watched my grandfather take a homeless man to lunch at IHOP.

If you want to actually help them, I recommend doing things like that.

bachikarn

I always feel bad for them, but then I read how most people who deal with homeless charities etc advise not to give them money.

Saturday

I don't. I encounter quite a few every time I go out. They're the types that have been around forever and are just content to chill with a sign, though. And when I say they've been around forever, I mean 3-4 years at this point. It numbed me a little. You shouldn't feel bad. Honestly, just thinking about the matter is more than what other people do concerning panhandlers.

I've been in rough times before, though, so I understand people actually go through crap. If somebody goes up to me looking rough and asks for a dollar for a burger, I buy em a burger. If they back up and ask for cash- I walk away. That's the trick- if they're asking for money for a specific something and you're feeling generous, actually just buy the item for em if you can. The ones who accept are the genuine sort.

Kieli

Depends on where you're located. In my downtown area, the panhandlers are aggressive and would get up in your grill. It's best to never even look at them. Wear headphones and pretend they don't exist.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yeah, I give to them often (not that I'm giving money out daily or anything). I don't know what they are going through and don't want to think of being in their shoes.

Used to all the time, until one day when I actually didn't have any cash on me & told that to a bum he responded with "well then fuck you motha fucka". I wasn't rude or anything

Now I try to save it for elderly looking people only.

ThisGuy

Whenever I have spare change. Although I've never done it (begging), I know its like to be that broke. Sucks, even if they just want a 40, I get it.

Panhandlers? No. I only give money to people who clearly have psychological disorders as they are the ones who will most likely never be able to drag themselves out of the gutter.

I definitely think it's reasonable to distinguish between the ones who are jut tapping people for money and the ones who are mentally ill. But, and I don't mean to sound cold-hearted here, but what good does it do to give a mentally ill person a couple of bucks? Money's not gonna solve any problem they have. Still probably better than doing nothing, which is what I mostly do, but even so.

Lkr

The only time I've ever really done anything was outside a McDonald's once. Homeless looking guy asked me for a dollar so he could get a burger, I told him I didn't have any cash but i would buy him a burger on my card with my order and so I bought him a burger

No.

In Minneapolis the homeless travel from all around to live outside in -20 degree temps. Why? Services. I can point panhandlers in the direction of any number of kitchens and beds. Money earned with bullshit stories goes to drugs and booze.

My source? My mother is very liberal a saint who works directly with the homeless and even she would be the first to say no and provide directions to services.

Podge293

Naw never give it direct. I know charities take a lot of the money for salaries but at least some goes towards fixing the problem.

No. Because I don't carry cash. Even if I did I would not. Saw a friend do this and the guy ripped his wallet out of his hands, refused to return it, and just walked off into the city.

DJ_Lae

Never. I have purchased food/drinks before for a few guys out in colder weather and a bunch of us made dozens of sandwiches one year for Thanksgiving and handed them out.

That was particularly enlightening as you had maybe 3 out of 4 that were grateful, but every fourth person or so got pissed off you weren't giving them cash.

Spenny

I definitely think it's reasonable to distinguish between the ones who are jut tapping people for money and the ones who are mentally ill. But, and I don't mean to sound cold-hearted here, but what good does it do to give a mentally ill person a couple of bucks? Money's not gonna solve any problem they have. Still probably better than doing nothing, which is what I mostly do, but even so.
Because they are never going to get help. The mental health care system is a joke in the US. Might as well give them money so they can get high or drunk.

Kenstar

Used to all the time, until one day when I actually didn't have any cash on me & told that to a bum he responded with "well then fuck you motha fucka". I wasn't rude or anything

Now I try to save it for elderly looking people only.
That's when you hit 'em with the good ol'
1454.gif

depths20XX

No. I did one time because the dude was a complete asshole and basically stalking me and I kinda worried that I was gonna get stabbed. Dude followed me for blocks.

ZoronMaro

I'm surprised so many people say yes, but I guess I've been too desensitized to all the wack jobs I see everyday. When you see someone all the time and they give the same story every time it's obvious that giving them money is just enabling them.

I do sometimes give them restaurant gift cards, but 4/5 times they give me the dirtiest look, because they don't want food, they want booze or drugs. That makes it even harder to altruistic, they don't want to get better and fuck you if you try to give them actual help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom