• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Give Money to Panhandlers? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
No. We shouldn't see giving handouts as a solution. Instead, we should be pushing our government to do something to give them the help they need. Giving them a few dollars is a drop in the bucket.

I have bought homeless people food though.

How do you propose this when a political party might argue poverty and homelessness are character weaknesses?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
No because I walk past about the same 10 each day.

Same here. I get off the train at Millennium Station in Chicago Monday through Friday and walk down Michigan Avenue to work. I pass the same ones, in the same location daily. I'll let the tourists and visitors handle it. I don't carry cash either.

I don't. Most of those begging aren't doing anything to improve their lives. You'll see them there begging people for money all the time. They will either spend the money on drugs or booze.

Weirdest moment came when I was at an intersection. While waiting for the light to turn green, this old woman came up to me and asked (in broken English) if I had a penny. I reached into my car's designated change section, and pulled out a dime and handed it over to her.
As soon as she saw the dime, she snapped and yelled, "No! No dime! Penny!".
So I went back into the coin section and pulled out a penny and handed it over to her.
She was so happy she said a prayer in Spanish to me and walked away.

SuperSah

Banned
Once saw a dude trying to look homeless and begging for money.

Next day I saw him in town with a full suit and tons of shopping and a TV.

I hate liars.

Greddleok

No, giving to beggars is just a bandaid on the problem. If people can survive like that it doesn't incentivise the authorities to actually do something about it.

Alphahawk

Man this thread is depressing. I do, when I can, but I usually just have barely enough for me. Also I don't usually carry cash.

I don't really care all that much about people who say they just use if for beer or to get high, the fact that if they;'re out there in the street they feel that they need those things, so who am I to tell them no. Also there's been a couple people who suggested you give to charities that help the homeless, that's good, but you shouldn't do it in lieu of helping these indivisual people.
This thread is making me really upset to be honest.

Edit: Some may not be in an area where there is a soup kitchen and shelters aren't just free beds, people have to wait on a waiting list, and even then they only can stay for a short time till there back on the streets.In short giving to charities is good but they're not magical cure-alls.

Man this thread is depressing. I do, when I can, but I usually just have barely enough for me. Also I don't usually carry cash.

I don't really care all that much about people who say they just use if for beer or to get high, the fact that if they;'re out there in the street they feel that they need those things, so who am I to tell them no.

This thread is making me really upset to be honest.

If you care about their plight you should donate to shelters and volunteer at soup kitchens. Giving pocket change to help enable self-destructive behavior only makes things worse.

Alphahawk

If you care about their plight you should donate to shelters and volunteer at soup kitchens. Giving pocket change to help enable self-destructive behavior only makes things worse.

Read my above edit, These things aren't magic cure-alls . You can't just go in one of these places and ask for a bed, you have to wait in line. They aid in helping, but they are not a guarenteed fix.

Also I really don't care about someone's self destructive behavior. If they want beer than go ahead buy beer. To be honest a lot of people on this board, would probably drink if they were in these situations So I'm not really sure why it's such a taboo thing for homeless people to do..

TomServo

Also I really don't care about someone's self destructive behavior. If they want beer than go ahead buy beer. To be honest a lot of people on this board, would probably drink if they were in these situations So I'm not really sure why it's such a taboo thing for homeless people to do..

That's an incredibly destructive attitude to have. If you facilitate substance abuse for a person with a mental illness and/or addiction, you're hurting them, not helping them.

Alphahawk

That's an incredibly destructive attitude to have. If you facilitate substance abuse for a person with a mental illness and/or addiction, you're hurting them, not helping them.

I'm not enabling anyone. I believe people at face value, if they say they need money-I'm going to assume that they need money. After that, they're adults, they can make there own decisions with it. It's treating them with a little dignity.

Zakalwe

Banned
I do if I have change. Sometimes I go to a store and buy a decent lunch (sandwiches, fruit, drinks, etc...) and leave it next to a sleeping homeless person. I can imagine waking up to that would make the day feel a little better.

No. I donate to the shelters and work charity through my fraternity instead. That way I help the ones who need it.

They all need it. If you don't want to give them money, then you could buy them a little food instead.

They all need it. If you don't want to give them money, then you could buy them a little food instead.
I used to do that, but the ones that hang around in my area are in the same places day and don't want food or anything that's not alcohol. We've tried many times, to no avail. :/

We've caught a few getting into their cars and changing. >.>

knkng

I get ROYALLY PISSED when they don't want my Publix sandwich

I'm not sure if you're just making a joke, but I've actually tried giving food to the homeless several times and every time they've refused and asked for money instead. One of them even said "That's too salty for my diet". Like, what? Your sign says you need money for food, but you only want the money, and not the food. Ugh.

I will sometimes give something to the people who go up to cars near the highway exits, since I've occasionally seen them get rowdy and start kicking cars. Fucking assholes. Better to just pay them off with a buck or two.

Yeah, there's a guy who often sits at the same spot here that i usually give money to if i got cash on paper since i mostly use card. I don't see a problem with it. If he's struggling for money so bad that he has to beg then of course i would like to be of some help if i could. Sure there's probably some people ripping people of by doing this, but i highly doubt there's any "major" amount what so ever, and i find it pretty disgusting when people just downright look down on people who beg.

I can't say i see them doing it "systematically" being very bad either. So what if they have their specific spots because there's more people there? Why the fuck would they not? It's like people want them to get by even worse just 'cause they're begging. Shitty.

Machine

I will give to local groups like shelter associations and food banks but never directly to panhandlers. There are a lot of homeless in my town. It's a college town and apparently students are easy marks so people looking for handouts gravitate towards the campus area. Some are legit homeless but many more are just scam artists.

I had a co-worker who when asked for money for food would offer to buy the panhandler a meal at the local diner. He ended up buying the occasional meal for someone but most told him to fuck off because they just wanted the cash.

Zakalwe

Banned
I used to do that, but the ones that hang around in my area are in the same places day and don't want food or anything that's not alcohol. We've tried many times, to no avail. :/

We've caught a few getting into their cars and changing. >.>

I get it. It's why i tend to leave the food for the sleeping ones, or just drop it next to them and walk away.

I used to work as an sparky in London when I was a teen. There was one guy without legs who sat on a board with wheels, people gave to him generously. He was really friendly and grateful.

Apparently he was seen climbing into an expensive looking car at some point. Not sure if it was true, but he wasn't there again after we heard it.

I've also given food to people and they've asked for money. I get that though, so I don't let it phase me.

My friend gave a twenty to a guy once, and the first thing he did was ask for more.

I gave a guy a few coins (all I had) and he looked disgusted.

It can be disheartening, I understand many of these people are harming themselves and there's no hope it will stop. I understand, but I'm not doing it for the feels (not saying anyone else is). Some of them will legitimately spend it on shelter, or food, or medicine. I have no way to tell before I give, so I do if I can.

TomServo

I'm not enabling anyone. I believe people at face value, if they say they need money-I'm going to assume that they need money. After that, they're adults, they can make there own decisions with it. It's treating them with a little dignity.

I'm shocked at how callous you are towards mental illness and substance abuse.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm shocked at how callous you are towards mental illness and substance abuse.

He's not being callous, if anything his compassion is dictating an action that might be better led by rational.

However, making the assumption that the person is going to use it for abuse could be considered callous.

TomServo

He's not being callous, if anything his compassion is dictating an action that might be better led by rational.

However, making the assumption that the person is going to use it for abuse could be considered callous.

No, it's backed up by statistics.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Not since a bad Mafia scandal came out about them.
Charity directly.

Klyka

Banned
Nah, most of them are in organized begging groups or part of a criminal organization and are not actually "begging" but are just scamming money from people.

This is in Germany at least.

The only people who might get money from me are people who are doing something (like playing music or singing) and who legit impress me with it.

Zakalwe

Banned
No, it's backed up by statistics.

Show me the proof that they all use it for this and you'll have a point. I'm not going to hold back a little charity because I /might/ be enabling something.

Of course, if they look like a crack-addict then I'll hold off on the money and drop some food.

No. There are resources for people who are down on their luck. Giving panhandlers money directly just creates a negative cycle.

edit:

I used to when I lived in a major city some time ago. Once, on a walk to run an errand somewhere, a woman approached me (when I was still naive) and gave me a sob story about how her children were hungry and she needed money to get food for them, etc. etc. I mean full on tears and the works. So I gave her $20 and hoped that her kids would be ok.

So I finished my errand and, maybe 2 hours later, I was walking back on the same street and that EXACT same woman approached me with the exact same story - tears and everything, I mean this woman should have been in film - and I looked at her squarely and said "NO!" and suddenly the act totally went away. The crying stopped and she stopped stooping over and looked like everything was fine. Again, I was naive, but I couldn't believe this woman dared use children as an excuse to con me for $20. That incident was, I think, the death knell for my giving to beggars.

Apt101

I often do, I feel bad and a few dollars isn't going to hurt me. When I see young kids out there, especially young girls who are often taken advantage of, I might even give them a 20 so that at least one good thing happens to them that week.

RowdyReverb

I don't. I just pass too many every day and I can't afford to pay a toll on my daily commute. Plus, I'm in the area of several social support buildings, which I'm sure is why I see so many homeless

Dali

I offer them a simple job with a reward worth many times what the task is worthy of. They always decline because they're just looking for a handout with nothing required to earn it on their end. Of course they don't know that the "too good to be true" offer would lead to them being hunted which is why they solidify in my mind every time the proposal is put forth and they decline, they're just lazy pieces of shit looking for a handout.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
If I gave money to every one I passed I would end up homeless myself

Not any more.

But then my father isn't in good financial shape, and what spare money I have normally gets given put aside for the next time he needs help, and sorry random street person, but my family is always going to come first.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
No, I don't want to encourage their behaviour. I do, however, donate to groups that help the homeless and are trying to get these people back on their feet(if they're sincere about their own plight).

Absolutely fucking not. My city is currently being invaded by homeless because the populace here are relatively sheltered and naive. This town started out small, but the population has exploded here resulting in people who haven't been around a lot of homeless, and tons of homeless cashing in on this. The word has already spread.

The city's Police Dept. FB page has even acknowledged the huge amount of homeless moving in here and is vehemently advising people to stop supporting their drug addictions with money.

If you need some self satisfaction or feel bad about it or something, there are numerous other ways to give back that don't involve supporting drug addictions.

panhandling.jpg

STOP GIVING THEM MONEY.

Used to, never doing it again.

One quiet night, I gave a guy some change from the grocery store I was at, around 19 cents, and he just stared at me without saying anything. As I walked away, I heard him throw the 4 pennies at the floor. You can still use pennies if you really needed change.

Another time, as I was walking up the stairs to catch my train, there was this man asking for change while trying to guilt everyone who passed by. "Oh, no one cares enough to give me some change?" and more... Like everyone has money to give while there's at least 1 panhandler on every block in the city.

I offer them a simple job with a reward worth many times what the task is worthy of. They always decline because they're just looking for a handout with nothing required to earn it on their end. Of course they don't know that the "too good to be true" offer would lead to them being hunted which is why they solidify in my mind every time the proposal is put forth and they decline, they're just lazy pieces of shit looking for a handout.

Like in the movie Hard Target?

Mathieran

Banned
I rarely have cash, but if I do I will spare a couple bucks. Usually to people at stop lights,
I don't see beggars too often outside of stores I am going into so I can't pick something up for them. I have heard of some people keeping little handout kits with some basic supplies in their car to give to beggars, it's something I've considered.

Plasmid

I live in a not so large southern town. We have some homeless which you mainly see now at gas stations since it's so hot. If i'm there when they're there i'll buy them water and some food, mainly because i never keep cash.

My MIL lives in Jackson and she has a $5 bill, a can of ravioli and some forks she gives to guys that panhandle at traffic lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom