• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Give Money to Panhandlers? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe once my hourly wage is above single digits but in the meantime I just don't have the cash to spare. I see pretty much the same homeless people every day and they've learned not to ask. I did once give this one guy money because he was sampling his raps to everybody and said he need a plane ticket to Memphis. His rapping was pretty good. I hope he got there.

SeanC

No. Here in LA it's impossible to not get asked numerous times every day and if I gave money to them I'd go broke fast. Plus I've had bad encounters in the past and that's pretty much made me not want to give money direct to them because a lot of times I don't want to interact with them at all.

Zackat

After a guy tried to use someone else's VA card (he tried to just cover the picture with his finger) to gain my sympathy, I lost a lot of interest. Before that I would give them a few bucks here and there.

I actually do give money to a few people around my area, usually something like $5, sometimes less or more, nothing too crazy. I can spare it, or sometimes I'll roll up to the fast food place near by and pick something out for someone instead. I don't hang around and eat a meal with them(saw a girl do that yesterday, which was super nice), but yeah, I'll help someone out, fuck it. I refuse to let myself get cynical about stuff like this.

Also, food banks, because I remember how helpful that can be.

(i'm not in a city btw, so i don't actually see too many of these folks around, and I've never had any issues)

Hiltz

I haven't done it in a long time cause you don't really know what their going to use it for.

My uncle had a funny story with his encounter of a homeless person when he was younger. He went into McDonalds and saw a homeless guy who was panhandling outside. He decided to buy a hamburger and offered it to the homeless guy who was still waiting outside, but the man got mad when he said he wanted something else instead, and slapped the hamburger out of my uncle's hand. The guy then asked my uncle for a receipt so he could get the kind of food he wanted to order, but my uncle didn't ask for a receipt when he ordered, and was frustrated by the homeless guy's ungrateful response. My uncle then went back inside went back inside to order his own food and put his food down at a table to use the restroom. However, when he came back, my uncle saw the homeless guy sitting down at his seat and eating my uncle's food. My uncle approached him and told the guy that he was eating his food and that he would call the manager to have the homeless guy kicked out of the restaurant. The homeless guy looked up at my uncle and said, "Got a receipt?"

wbsmcs

I'll occasionally give change or a small bill. If they use it for drugs or alcohol so be it. It makes their life a little better for a little bit.

The ones that want to buy food will buy food.

What makes me angry are the people who buy them food, offer it to them, and then when they refuse it, the person gets mad at them saying they only want money for drugs.

Are you buying them food because you genuinely want to help them, or to just feel superior and have the feeling of helping someone out?

kingwingin

Once like 10 years ago me and my friend were at tacobell and this guy comes in asking for money to buy a bus ticket to the next town over to see his dying dad.

My buddy gave him $10, he leaves and we watch him run accross the street to the beer vendor.

i would never give anyone money, ever

I try to walk/drive past panhandlers since I've seen some use the money to buy alchohol/cigs but if one asks me for some money I end up giving that person some money if I have any loose change.

Nudull

Banned
My family keeps insisting that anyone begging on the streets is either a robbery, murder or carjacking waiting to happen. Naturally, I ignore my family and give/donate from time to time.

Mariolee

I always feel bad for them, but then I read how most people who deal with homeless charities etc advise not to give them money.

But then the issue is people don't give money to those charities or shelters either. Are they also all not trustworthy?

T-Matt

I'll occasionally give change or a small bill. If they use it for drugs or alcohol so be it. It makes their life a little better for a little bit.

The ones that want to buy food will buy food.

What makes me angry are the people who buy them food, offer it to them, and then when they refuse it, the person gets mad at them saying they only want money for drugs.

Are you buying them food because you genuinely want to help them, or to just feel superior and have the feeling of helping someone out?

Feel the same way you do. Directly making their day a little better is my aim.

See I don't get this. They don't even act desperate. Most of the ones I see regularly around my neighborhood chill at the same spot every day and deliver the same routine to passers-by. Kinda like a job almost.

I mean if a lady clutching a starving infant came up to me with tears in her eyes, I mean, yeah wallet would be open. But most of the panhandlers I encounter are not like this.

I loathe when beggars abuse their kids to get donations. Not only does the state welfare give them financial aid for them but when it is kids above a certain age they are legally obligated to be in school or kindergarten which is also free where I live.

Hazmat

No. I know it sounds cold, but in my opinion it's simply better to not engage with them at all. My charity dollars are more effective when given to an organization that specifically and professionally works to combat homelessness or hunger than giving directly to someone that may or may not need it and may or may not use it for what they say they will.

Mairu

I live in San Francisco... so no I don't. Homeless problem here is pretty bad, responding to panhandlers isn't going to help.

And I don't carry cash most of the time D:

highrider

Banned
Occasionally. I have no issue with them buying booze or drugs with it. I've been homeless, the stress is pretty crushing.

Gun Animal

i do but only when I'm physically intimidated by them and don't want to risk getting beaten up or stabbed. Kinda fucked up that I'm more likely to give money to an able bodied man than to a vietnam vet in a wheelchair. Oh well.

Takuan

Only to this one dude who hangs out near the highway on-ramp on my way back home. He's always smiling and giving thumb-up signs to people regardless of whether they give him anything. For some reason, he gives off good karma vibes.

Nope. Main one I know on my street is a fake blind guy that was banned from stores for feeling up female employees, so he soured me on the whole thing. I'm nice about it but I always lie and say I have no cash.

styl3s

I absolutely don't but what i do instead is invest some of my free time and money into shelters, food drives etc. because here it's hard to tell who is actually homeless and who does this as a side job on weekends or has a SO who would rather make more un taxed money then getting a real job and some people who have never ran into these types of people will probably thing it's absurd but believe me it's not.

I have met a couple who does this for a living and the guys wife who does this 8 hours a day and he does it on weekends makes a shocking amount of money on our busiest intersection. I would rather be involved and try to help people and make a real difference then potentially feed someones addiction.

If I have some change in my pocket I might. I don't really make enough myself to consider giving more.

Once it's in their hands I don't really care how they spend it. Homelessness has got to suck, I wouldn't want to be sober for it either.

Werd

Occasionally if someone catches my eye, but usually not. I try to be friendly though.

However for a few years when I went to downtown regularly I'd get approached, people actually walking across the street (rarely many people around, later at night in a business area) to ask me for money.. right after I got out of my beat up car at the time. Was also warned that there had been robberies in the area. Didn't enjoy that, it just feels aggressive, but it worked as I ended up keeping a dollar in my pocket so I could give something without getting my wallet out just to try to get on my way quickly without any confrontation/negative remarks. Just encourages the behavior, I know.

I seldom gave money to the homeless until I was homeless myself in 2011.

After seeing the paltry country Human & Health offerings to the destitute, I feel more sympathetic. I should also add that I live in San Francisco where local welfare services are still some of the best in the country.
Especially after I've been seeing the tremendous amount of homeless encampments cropping up around SF and Oakland city center, I know in my heart that a great deal of these people were forced out of their homes because of evaporating rent protections & not all are addicted to alcohol or drugs.

No. We shouldn't see giving handouts as a solution. Instead, we should be pushing our government to do something to give them the help they need. Giving them a few dollars is a drop in the bucket.

I have bought homeless people food though.

If I see a person laying with trash around them, I'll go buy them something and lay it beside them. I also volunteer. If I ever do give cash, it's gotta be someone I think is in actual trouble.

But there are dudes in Chicago who just siphon money off of people. One dude lives in my area, sets up shop by a Walgreens, and just asks for money. In between his speeches, he takes out his cellphone to play games, listens to music, and adjusts his clean cut clothing. Which is fine, because maybe he got lucky to have all that shit.

What set me over the edge was how he openly admitted that he wasn't homeless to one of his friends and bragged about how "I never technically said I was". He then proceeds to make fun of the actual homeless. Dude is a straight up villain.

He has a friend who gets off and on the bus every day, sets up by a busy spot, and asks people to help him out. He's the same as the other dude, expect he's far more plump and doesn't look like the type to have ever starved in his life. Once he's done for the day, he hides his chair behind a dumpster, and hops on the bus back home.

Fucking makes me so mad.

No. We shouldn't see giving handouts as a solution. Instead, we should be pushing our government to do something to give them the help they need. Giving them a few dollars is a drop in the bucket.

I have bought homeless people food though.
The government? Why can't these people learn to take care of themselves.

I give money sometimes to street musicians.
Are they considered panhandlers?

KorrZ

No because I work in my city's downtown area and pass the same ones everyday of the week delivering the exact same lines every time.

besada

Banned
If I have cash on me, I do, but it's rare I have cash. As for why, I've never been asked for money from someone who wasn't clearly worse off than me (except for in Austin where college students panhandle for weed money) and what I give them means very little to me, but might mean them getting a meal for the day. It's not a difficult decision for me.

Dakushi

Neo Member
No because I never carry cash and the vast majority of panhandlers here are rude as all hell, for example every time there has been a big street party in Denmark, they literally block all of the bottle return machines for days. I'm talking 30 big black trash bags filled with cans and of course they don't allow you to turn in anything, before they are done.

Negator

I don't carry cash, and even if I did I would avoid it. In my city it is actually illegal to give panhandlers money,

Clefargle

I do as often as I can afford to. Ive probably given away hundreds over my young life. It doesn't make me moral, it makes me gullible. But I do empathize with their place in life, and I would gladly give a little extra taxes per year to solve homelessness if it were an option so until then I'll just keep giving away Change to these guys because I do actually care about whether they eat or not. I guess I'm gullible

Sometimes. I would much rather lobby for economic growth, in particular, JOBS for these people so that they don't need to panhandle. My dollar can only do so much; these politicians, economic developers, urban planners, and real estate developers need to get off their fucking ass and make jobs for these people.

Also, make affordable housing come to life too.

I once gave a man with a "Hungry! God Bless!" sign a fresh sandwhich I had just bought for myself. As I made a right turn, through my rear view mirror I saw him chuck it into the trash.

Never again.

I once gave a man with a "Hungry! God Bless!" sign a fresh sandwhich I had just bought for myself. As I made a right turn, through my rear view mirror I saw him chuck it into the trash.

Never again.

I'm sorry but that is a hilarious visual. Also pretty much the reason why I don't contribute. I'm pretty sure they're all (trying to) scamming me.

Nope
donald-duck-daisy-coin-begging.gif

I feel like a douche when not doing it but then I remember that a lot of those people do panhandling as their main job. I may give some money to an old person who obviously has no other choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom