• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Have A Favorite New IP?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Are there any games released in the past five years or less that is a new IP, meaning it's not a reboot, remake or sequel but something entirely new, that you consider to be one of the best game or series?

It has to be something you'd really love or put in your top 10.

For me, it's this.

CFxvyyx.jpg

I've always been a massive fan of Castlevania and I look up to Koji Igarashi so for me this sealed the deal.

Honestly, I think the Curse of the Moon duology is better than Ritual if the Night.

Curse of the Moon 2 is what really pushed me over the edge and sealed it for me as a fan. The story is so strange and amazing.

I can hope there's many more Bloodstained ahead. You don't get much better than this.

Definitely my favorite new IP, perhaps of the last 10 years.

Vandole

Is Splatoon still in that range? I burned a lot of hours on that, so that would have to be a strong contender.

Otherwise probably Hollow Knight. Between the lore, bosses, aesthetic and overall challenge It took the Metroidvania genre to a different level.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Would Ori And The Blind Forest count? I think it is from early 2015 so it is a bit over 5 years, but both Ori and the blind forest and will of the wisps were amazing imho.

If this doesn't count then I would take Sekiro or Fall Guys.
Yeah I guess anything released past 2010.

I would have included Mass Effect and Darksiders but iirc, the first title in those games were released pre-2010.

Edit: oh the first Darksiders was released on January 5th 2010 so yeah that would be my other. I'm still kind of referring to anything from 2015 and up.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Bloodbourne
Sekiro
HZD
Splatoon
Ghosts of Tsushima
Stardew Valley
Rocket League, if you count that as new

Last edited:

Nameless

Bloodborne and Outer Wilds are the two that come to mind first. Both are among my all-time favorites. Really adored the Divinity Original Sin games(II especially), No Man's Sky and Kingdom Come Deliverance as well.

Vawn

Banned
Does "Souls" count?

Edit: oh, five years? Probably not. There are some good new ones though - Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Nioh, Cuphead and Hollow Knight.

Last edited:
really digging astral chain...im not an anime guy, but this game struck a chord with me

from casual play with AI fighting battles for you, to pt. ultimate difficulty, anyone can find a sweet spot for their skill level and enjoy the badassery

the rpg elements are really just a means of teaching you your character, and they even got me interested in the silly detective sequences... I cared about the characters enough to tear up a couple times, in an action game, with cringeworthy anime dialog

the action is just rad though, lots of beating shit up in clever ways, and action cutscenes are off the fucking chain (ahem)

working on S+ ranks is offering some good replayability, even though Im probably not the guy that can complete that goal for all levels

totally impressed, i would definitely be in on a sequel

GonSama

Bloodborne
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon Zero Dawn
DriveClub (was awesome with all the updates)

Still have some new IP to play, but it's this...

Last edited:

Dibils2k

it has to be rocket league, i still play it to this day. Some others to mention:

GoT and HZD i really enjoyed but open world grind took its toll and was kinda playing just to finish them in like the last 30%

sunset overdrive was a big favourite of mine, if that was on PS4 i think we get a sequel

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I want to say Gravity Rush but that game originally came out on Vita, which I don't think its considered current gen.

So I go with....

Bloodborne
Sekiro
Astral Chain
Bloodstained
Octopath Traveler
Ghost of Tsushima

Upcoming:
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
SCARLET NEXUS
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

Last edited:

SCB3

Destiny by far

and if it counts, Dark Souls (2011, technically Demons' Souls make make it not count coming out in 2009)

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think of:

Lone Echo
Control
Insomniac Spider-Man (does this count? Stretching maybe)

BlackTron

Wow I can't believe how much Bloodstained I'm seeing in here. As a guy whose favorite portable games were Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow, I didn't like Ritual of the Night. The idea made it one of my most anticipated games, but for some reason, it just didn't click with me and I only played it a few hours.

Guess I shouldn't have let that discourage me from playing Curse of the Moon.

On topic...damn this gen was LONG and had a ton of new IPs. I'm going to say Overwatch and Towerfall.

CitizenX

Banned
Dying Light
Remenet from The Ashes
Seven The Days Long Gone
Atom
Days Gone

All had some faults but Super fun and I expect all with an improved sequel.

Reactions: MrS
really digging astral chain...im not an anime guy, but this game struck a chord with me

from casual play with AI fighting battles for you, to pt. ultimate difficulty, anyone can find a sweet spot for their skill level and enjoy the badassery

the rpg elements are really just a means of teaching you your character, and they even got me interested in the silly detective sequences... I cared about the characters enough to tear up a couple times, in an action game, with cringeworthy anime dialog

the action is just rad though, lots of beating shit up in clever ways, and action cutscenes are off the fucking chain (ahem)

working on S+ ranks is offering some good replayability, even though Im probably not the guy that can complete that goal for all levels

totally impressed, i would definitely be in on a sequel

too late to edit:

i forgot to mention how badass the music is...it's really fucking good, technically well written, and the music matches what you're doing

little things like a radio matches the cadence of the level music

it's where any real emotion comes from (just like movies)

Codes 208

-bloodborne
-sekiro
-hollowknight
-ori
-cuphead
-splatoon (technically came out six years ago but I’m counting it, dammit)
-titanfall/apex legends

BEERBEER

Neo Member
No, because having no expectations of your "favourite" gaming companies, means there won't be any bad surprises.

Elcid

Banned
Can I claim Spider-Man? Pretty sure it's the only one in the last 5 years. Game was that good. I felt like Spider-Man, I felt his fatigue, his pain, and his love. Such an incredible game I'm creaming in anticipation for the next one.

Top Bottom