• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Have A Favorite New IP?

Södy

Still is Halo, but when God of War released, I removed this as my favorite IP. Before I loved both, God of War and Halo but I am not a fan of the new gameplay, sadly.

Yoboman

Rocket League*

Genuinely can't think of a recent game that pretty much went and developed its own unique genre single handedly. There is nothing else like it, there are no real gameplay tropes you can point to as it taking from another game

Both easy to pick up and one of the highest skill ceilings in gaming

And it did it so well that despite having way over 50 million players, it is so good that nobody has really taken it on in its genre

*technically rocket league is a sequel

GreyHorace

Ghost of Tsushima. I didn't think Sucker Punch could top CDProjektRed and Rockstar in the open world genre this gen. But by God they did by giving us a free roam samurai game that we didn't know we needed. It's personally my GOTY.

T-Barbs

From Grasshopper Manufacture, this underrated gem is still One of my favourite ever:

BoKgVpf.jpg

://youtu.be/pNLxtYnxwAE

In the year 2026 AD, a large tectonic disturbance occurred causing mass destruction around the world. Southwestern Tokyo split off into the ocean and became an island covered by a deep fog. Continuous seismic activity then caused a large spire to rise out of the ocean through the island, creating a tower-like structure that pierces the clouds. Many mysteries remain hidden from the eyes of mankind, awaiting those courageous enough to dare approach the tower...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bloodborne, Nioh, Days Gone, and Death Stranding are all new IPs that I would certainly love to see more games from.

I'd also list Ghost of Tsushima and Sekiro, but they both feel like such one-off titles.

Batiman

Banned
Sea of thieves
Sekiro
Ori
Cuphead
Enter the gungeon

I’ve realized I’m getting sick of long AAA games and just enjoy smaller games as of late.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Days Gone the motorcycle is still the most efficient way to traverse open world beautiful lands

From this generation, both Bloodborne and Horizon left indelible impressions. Control deserves a mention too, love the X-Files vibe.

Also, I can’t skip over OW, even though the broader universe isn’t exactly what I enjoy about the franchise (it’s purely about gameplay).

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Sea of Thieves, bought it day one and hated it, but the updates and having a regular group to play with have made it my favourite game this gen.

Old Retro

All my favorites are sequels or remakes/reboots. The Resident Evils, Tomb Raiders, Call of Duty, Nier: Automata, Bayonetta...

I did pick up Control for PS4 during the summer sale. Also have never played Vanquish, which I got months ago.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Too bad were getting a sequel with a female lead.
??? Nier Gestalt had male lead and in Automata had female lead, in original Drakengard it had male lead and in Drakengard 3 and female lead......What exactly is the problem?

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Tons of great sequels this gen, but I guess my top three new ip's would be:

Divinity Original Sin
Ghosts of Fukushima
Kingdom Come Deliverance

Codswallop_

Neophyte
From Grasshopper Manufacture, this underrated gem is still One of my favourite ever:

BoKgVpf.jpg

://youtu.be/pNLxtYnxwAE

In the year 2026 AD, a large tectonic disturbance occurred causing mass destruction around the world. Southwestern Tokyo split off into the ocean and became an island covered by a deep fog. Continuous seismic activity then caused a large spire to rise out of the ocean through the island, creating a tower-like structure that pierces the clouds. Many mysteries remain hidden from the eyes of mankind, awaiting those courageous enough to dare approach the tower...

Free to play huh? This one looks interesting, will definitely check it out sometime.

junguler

Banned
most of the games i've enjoyed this gen were sequels, the only new ip that i can remember was nioh which i really loved, can't wait for nioh 2 to release on pc.

cireza

I loved Code Vein, Curse of the Moon (preferred the first game), Outer Wilds, Nier Automata (was new for me), Hitman (same). All great games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom