• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you love your Mother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my mom and dad, unfortunately I'm not a very lovey dovey person and that really bothers my mom because both of my sisters are way more affectionate and she's the same. I just get embarrassed with that shit and would rather just have a conversation. Basically my dad and I have the same personality type but he's way more into family vacations and the sort because it's his wife and kids. Kind of different when you're the adult son. Guess this functions as part of me being more independent.

Absolutely. I disagree with her about things, but nobody's perfect. She's one of my best friends and hero. Losing her is one of my biggest fears in life.

My mother and father are incredible. My mother is incredibly supportive of my struggling artist lifestyle. My father isn't quite as supportive but he's still wonderful and tells me the door is always open if I fall into hard enough times.

I miss my family :( I'm hoping they can visit me this spring!

Sorry to hear about those who've lost theirs. My condolences.

The short answer is a resounding yes.

The long answer is that I don't know if it would be possible for me to love or care about someone more than I care about her. There's always been a very close bond between us, and she's always been there for me despite my issues. At every school event, every soccer game, and every major event in my life without a second thought. She lives for her family, and is the glue that holds us together. I really respect her for it.

My Mom gave up any sort of a potential career to raise a handicapped daughter from the moment she was born. It wasn't even a choice - family came first and work wasn't even close. Even when she was working and going to school when I was really young, she still did everything with me and took me to everything she could.

Since day one she's been the most important person out there to myself and my family, and has done so much that it would be impossible to even comprehend or list it. She gave up her out-of-the-house life to raise us, and to make sure that her handicapped child has the best life possible, including fighting for disabled rights and doing absolutely anything she could to aid things along.

For the last several years, she's been dealing with health issues. What started with cancer in one area resulted in the removal of a lung, then it metastasized a couple of years later in spots on her brain, which have thankfully(!!!) been treatable through radiation and surgery. Currently, she's cancer free, though it's come at a cost unfortunately. Infection from one surgery years ago returned and hospitalized her for about two months last year, and she's been deconditioned since. Needs help to get up, use the washroom and go to bed. Doesn't walk all that well, so we have a walker and a wheelchair if need be, and help her at all times. A couple of seizures (sensitive brain from all that happened to it, with seizures resulting from lowered medication) have set her back unfortunately, but she's a big time fighter who still cares more about her family than herself.

It's very tough to see and experience, because I'm talking about my best friend and the closest relationship I will ever have. To say that I can't put into words how much she means to me is truth and not an exaggeration, because it can't be quantified. No words mean as much, even in tandem.

To thank her and show her I care, I go to almost every appointment, write her nice notes in cards, buy her flowers and help her every single day. Whether it's helping her to bed, giving her a drink, getting her food or helping her to the washroom or kitchen, it's the LEAST I can do. It's hard, though, because it's killing me inside (depression, anxiety) and I'm constantly worrying I'll lose her and I'm too young. So is she, which is more pivotal. But I want to make sure that she knows how much she means to me regardless.

I honestly think I'll crumble and be inconsolable if I lose her.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I love my parents but they're both mad as hatters and drive me mad in the process. Living with them makes this worse. But that'll only be for the next 6 months or so.

Not nearly as much as I loved my grandparents (who are now dead :( ) but yes.
We don't get along though, I can visit her or she me for a day or two maybe three at most before we'd have a falling out.

I see her only a few times a year.

We used to be super close but after my stepfather died of cancer when I was 11 she hasn't been a good mother anymore. She went out a lot as escapism because she couldn't cope with his death well, +being left with a 2 year old child , my half brother, to care for as well.
Since then she's been a shitty parent and she constantly left me alone with my brother.
I had to play parent to my brother as she wasn't around all that much, they don't have much of a bond either.

We quickly grew apart after that.

I know this makes me seem like a major asshole, but my family has done nothing good for me on the emotional side, they effectively just paid for my upbringing. Between that and quite a few negative events throughout my life caused by them, that I won't go into detail for, make my answer: "No, quite the opposite."

She passed away from cancer 5 years ago but I loved her more than anything.
She was my best friend, I even gave up my social life to be with her (which IV retrospective may have been a bad idea), we played video games together and she never wanted me up move out.
My dad, not so much. :/

She passed away from cancer 5 years ago but I loved her more than anything.
She was my best friend, I even gave up my social life to be with her (which IV retrospective may have been a bad idea), we played video games together and she never wanted me up move out.
My dad, not so much. :/

I'm very sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was an incredible mother and person.

Good on you for helping her out and being there for her. I'm sure she really appreciated it.

Cilla

Yes. My mummy is amazing!
I hated her as a moody teenager but now I love her and I couldn't imagine living far away from her. She's the best and she's going to be the best Nana in the future. :)

Plus as a child she helped me get through the hard castles in Alex Kidd in Miracle World!

Nope, infact there isnt a word strong enough for how much I hate her.

I didn't realize until I was too old but she had manipulated me from age 10-21 about all kinds of things.

The final straw was when he verbally attacked my and my now wife when we didn't tell her first that my wife was expecting. She harassed me at work and my wifes family. When we decided to try to let her see her grandson she didnt like our terms and tried to start shit again. She still has never met him and never will and has resorted to try and stalking me online to get pictures of him.

She has also done a masterful job of doing this to my brother and she convinced him to miss my wedding where he was to be a groomsman because she wasnt invited and was barred from the location.

This is also with doing some truly evil things including faking cancer to get pity and other things that involve conning people out of large sums of money.

Rainy

Banned
I cannot put it into words but she has done everything for me. She worries about me and nags about me when I probably don't need it and definitely don't deserve it. My dad does the same, and I am so spoiled by them.

She's fucking great. My dad too. Whenever they pass, I don't know how I will deal with it.

No. I do not love my 'mother' one bit..

She left me once I was born. I grew up without a mom in my life.. And as I got older, that's when things started hitting me. When I asked about my 'mom' on what happened, my family told me she died..

Every day till 11th grade, I've cried my eyes out because I had nobody to make things for on Mother's Day while everyone in my class had somebody. I had cried every moment when my friends would bring her up, or say momma jokes towards me, I would just cry.. They wonder why, but I never wanted to tell them the reason to make them feel terrible about it.

That's when I got to the 11the grade, I found out through Facebook. Because I remember the name from my birth certificate, she had commented on one of my families status. I was shocked.. But I was so pissed off. I've been lied to for years, and gone through so much from it all.

She never cared to visit me, or see how I was doing.. I had nothing going on from me for years. So, seeing that my mother was alive.. Fuck.. I just can't explain it..

I always talked about how I wish I had a brother/sister, being the only child. Turns out that I have 12 half-brothers and sisters... The fuck man.. And I don't even know any of them either..

Honestly, I'm fucking crying at the thought right now.. I shouldn't be, but I am.. I just wish that was something that part of my life..

It's another reason why I don't like my appearance at all, because I look Nothing like my dad. I even considered myself to actually be adopted.. But no! I look like her all the way..

So, yeah, I don't love her.. I never will.. And it's sad..

My mum told me she wished I was never born. That was 3 years ago and we haven't spoken since. I don't care to see or speak to her at this point and I have no desire to change it.

My mom is literally the only person I'm related to that I still speak with. I don't hate everyone else, I just can't be bothered. I actually care for my mother, and knows she likes hearing from me every month or so.

Rafterman

Banned
Sorry to hear about those who've lost theirs. My condolences.

The short answer is a resounding yes.

The long answer is that I don't know if it would be possible for me to love or care about someone more than I care about her. There's always been a very close bond between us, and she's always been there for me despite my issues. At every school event, every soccer game, and every major event in my life without a second thought. She lives for her family, and is the glue that holds us together. I really respect her for it.

I honestly think I'll crumble and be inconsolable if I lose her.

Your mother sounds a lot like my mother was. She was the greatest person I've ever met, my best friend and far and away the most support person in my life. She died of cancer when I was a senior in high school, and 22 years later I still tear up thinking about her.

Hopefully you don't lose your mom for a long time, but if you do don't isolate yourself from everyone else who loves you, let them help. I spiraled out of control and lost a decade trying to drink myself to death and wondering how or why I should go on living and I wish I had that time back.

Anyway, love your mother's people, you only get one and there is no guarantee for how long.

BIGWORM

Yes, without question.

I lost my mother 2 weeks before my 15th birthday to a sudden heart attack. She was on the track of getting her weight back into control, losing almost 100 pounds in a year's time up to her death. I didn't even have the time to say goodbye like some people do. People, your mothers are not replaceable. Don't stop talking to your mom for whatever petty reason, because they're here one day, and gone the next.

Yeh I love the shit out of my mum (and dad). I'm lucky that we've always had such a good relationship, even when I was a teenager - they were pretty chilled out about most things, and in return I was always home when I said I'd be etc - we had a mutual respect.

Both my parents worked really hard and provided me with so much, I honestly don't know what I would have done without them. They're the best. Though they can be very annoying at times haha. But I know I'm going to be totally devastated when they die.

As a side note, I also love my big sister, even though we are very different people. Think my niece is my favourite person (even though she's only 12 weeks old!) Only baby I've ever liked haha.

Anteater

yeah, but we're not too close, not sure how to explain it, but she has an extremely narrow view that can not be changed, it is not about convincing her to change her perspective, but that she can not comprehend others' opinions.

She's not a bad person but communicating with her over certain issues is extremely frustrating, which would mean we could not talk to each other on a more personal level, and that I just say things she likes to hear or not at all, which is a problem because I don't agree with a lot of the stuff and disagreeing with her will just be nothing but trouble.

I get upset with her and some aspects of her personality, but if I had to I'd probably be willing to kill someone to save her life.

Yes. Although it took me a while to realize that, as we can't really live in the same house and I had to go to college to discover that. We don't have any problems, just completely different personalities that can make it frustrating to live with each other. We talk all of the time though, and we definitely enjoy each other's company. We just didn't make good housemates.

Of course I do.

She's raised me, helped me wherever she can in my entirely life, kept me fed and watered. She's went out of her way to get nice gifts for birthdays and Christmas even when she is kind of skint. Also, despite being part of an older generation, she's very modern on most issues such as racism, sexism etc (a lot of older people I talk to are stuck in their ways)

Certainly do, at the risk of being labeled a momma's boy or whatever the saying is (can't be helped as my mum raised me more than my dad did!).

RangerX

Banned
Yep I love both my parents more than anything. Everything my mam has done since me and my brother were born has been for us. I couldn't have asked for any better. I'm a mamas boy and would do anything for her(and my dad too).

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
No. I do not love my 'mother' one bit..

She left me once I was born. I grew up without a mom in my life.. And as I got older, that's when things started hitting me. When I asked about my 'mom' on what happened, my family told me she died..

Every day till 11th grade, I've cried my eyes out because I had nobody to make things for on Mother's Day while everyone in my class had somebody. I had cried every moment when my friends would bring her up, or say momma jokes towards me, I would just cry.. They wonder why, but I never wanted to tell them the reason to make them feel terrible about it.

That's when I got to the 11the grade, I found out through Facebook. Because I remember the name from my birth certificate, she had commented on one of my families status. I was shocked.. But I was so pissed off. I've been lied to for years, and gone through so much from it all.

She never cared to visit me, or see how I was doing.. I had nothing going on from me for years. So, seeing that my mother was alive.. Fuck.. I just can't explain it..

I always talked about how I wish I had a brother/sister, being the only child. Turns out that I have 12 half-brothers and sisters... The fuck man.. And I don't even know any of them either..

Honestly, I'm fucking crying at the thought right now.. I shouldn't be, but I am.. I just wish that was something that part of my life..

It's another reason why I don't like my appearance at all, because I look Nothing like my dad. I even considered myself to actually be adopted.. But no! I look like her all the way..

So, yeah, I don't love her.. I never will.. And it's sad..
12 half siblings? Are they all from the different fathers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom