• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you love your Mother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxix Von

Loooool. I still live with my folks, God help me, and my own mother hasn't spoken a word to me in over a month.

Both my parents are complete assholes in their own right, although most of my father's issues are squarely attributable to being forced to interact with my crazy mother.

I used to think that I loved her but just didn't like her as a person, but after some distance I'm beginning to feel as if she could drop dead and the only emotion I would feel is elation. So, yeah, I dunno. I don't really give enough of a shit about her life to even really think about whether or not I love her. I guess I actually hate her now that I think about it, in fact she's a fairly loathsome person.

So I guess the answer is noooo?

Frankly the day she stopped talking to me is one of the greatest things to ever happen in my life.

Your mother sounds a lot like my mother was. She was the greatest person I've ever met, my best friend and far and away the most support person in my life. She died of cancer when I was a senior in high school, and 22 years later I still tear up thinking about her.

Hopefully you don't lose your mom for a long time, but if you do don't isolate yourself from everyone else who loves you, let them help. I spiraled out of control and lost a decade trying to drink myself to death and wondering how or why I should go on living and I wish I had that time back.

Anyway, love your mother's people, you only get one and there is no guarantee for how long.

My condolences, Rafterman. I'm really sorry to hear that you went through that at such a young age and how it affected you.

Thank you for the message and support, as well. I truly appreciate it, and this is one of the types of things I like best about GAF.

I hope she'll be okay.

Absolutely. And my father too.

I certainly don't lack very close friends, but I have no shame in saying that both of them are two of my closest friends in addition to being my parents. I wouldn't be where I am, enjoying and doing what I do if it wasn't for their guidance and care.

A couple of smart, witty, nerds, they are.

CloudWolf

It's complicated.

On one hand, she always does her best for me, she paid a large part of our holiday to Arizona, Nevada and Utah last summer, which was one of the best holidays I've ever had, and she always picks me up if I decide to go to my parents on weekends.

On the other, she has been cheating on my dad
with a woman
for the last ten years.

Once again, Mom nags unnecessary information on text message that ticks me off, but still she's done a lot for me. I'm doing my best to be on good behavior.

Can I just text her to stop telling me this thing? Is there a way of saying how to stop telling me something without hurting her?

My mother's pretty cool, she's a very nice person and generally has a good outlook on life. About the only thing I'll never understand is why she kills herself trying to clean every corner of the house whenever she's having company over.

I love her, but I don't like her.

Our relationship isn't nearly as sincere or caring as I wish it were. Much prefer my dad.

For me, it's a yes and no. My mom and dad support me financially and have every step of the way, but they really aren't good at the emotional side. Especially my father. Everything devolves into a screaming match. If I don't have the same goals or aspirations as my dad then it's like I kicked him in the stomach. All his life choices were correct and mine are bad. It just gets to you after awhile. I know he just wants the best for me, but for real, I don't want his life...

My mom, much easier to talk to, I have a lot of good conversations with her, but everything is religious based. The pope said this, the pope said should be like that. And she's paranoid about everything, and always knows someone that's died from this or that so I shouldn't do this or that. She's also really big into bigfoot and the like but I can't stand that kind of stuff. And it makes no sense why she believes it because she's a biology teacher for cripes sake...

I'm certain I'll never hate someone more. I'll be mad hype for her funeral.

Nope. She should be dead. Hope that happens soon.
My father is a hero.

I plan to spit on her grave when she finally dies.

My mother has tried to murder me on multiple occasions.
Everyone I quoted, I'd like to hear more. It also makes me look dumb when I complain considering my problems were never so bad.

Herne

Very much so. She has sacrificed so much for my siblings and I over the years, worked so hard to provide for us, protected us from our father when he was drunk (more emotionally than physically as the latter was rare, but things did happen). She waitressed for decades to support us and now her wrists get swollen and painful every evening, a result of having had to carry so many plates over the years. She's only just moved out of the last house we all called home, sold it and bought a smaller one for herself in a nearby town. The house she sold was out in the countryside, and as someone who couldn't drive she had to rely on us or neighbours to help her get into town, so she's much better suited where she is now. Thanks to sale she has a nice little nest egg to see her through retirement, and I'm so happy that it's worked out for her.

She even gave each of us some money from it, unasked, saying she never could before but had always wanted to. I love her to bits - she is caring, unjudgmental, generous and so supportive of us all. The best possible mother.

norinrad

I don't hate her nor do i love her, there's just no room in my life for her, that ship sailed a very long time ago. It doesn't even bother me if i haven't seen or spoken to hear in years. She has her life and family. She gave me up as a kid anyway. I guess she's a good mother to my half sister but what do i know, am not a member of their family lol. I love my life and my own family and friends and that has made all the difference in my life.

Ya I love my mom with all my heart. I can't talk to her without her going off about how god is going to destroy me come judgement day if I don't repent and become one of his sheep. Makes it hard to maintain a close relationship when she always looks at me with pitty and disappointment. I can't have a simple talk about anything without it turning into a religious debate. I still love her though. It does come from a place of love, she just wants whats best for me but she is too far gone to ever be understanding of my decisions and beliefs.

stressboy

It is hard to say. I can't think of a single moment where I have felt close to her in my entire adult life. She lives less than a mile from me but I hardly ever see her, and when I do, it is just to ask if she can watch the kids for a little while.

I felt closer to my Dad, even though he lived in a different state and I didn't see him as often as I should have. We lost him over a year ago.

Scarecrow

Mine stole all the college money I had been saving all my life so she could buy drugs. She died close to ten years ago. The life insurance money I got from that allowed me to pay off my crummy car and finish college.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I won't cry the day she dies. She tried to be good but she is not. She is the person who gave birth to me and yes she did give me a lot of things, but every single damn good thing came with a bad thing.

The day she dies there will be a heavy weight lifted from my chest.

oneils

She verbally and physically abused me. She neglected me. Locked me in my room very often. Bed time was 5-6pm every night, no matter my age. Hit me in the face and back with wooden spoons, shoved dirty dish clothes and sponges in my face. If I wanted water I had to drink out of the toilet. Wouldn't let me have baths unless my grandma was coming over. Never, not once, walked me to the bus stop or school.Left me emotionally scared and because of her I have trust issues. Didn't want me to get adopted, so could've been abused even more.

Short answer: she can go straight to hell.

Damn. That's awful.

I haven't seen my mother since I was 8 or so. I am now 37. An absent parent is probably better than an abusive one.

I can't honestly answer the ops question. I don't know if I love my mother.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't think I do.

My mother made some very questionable decisions whiel raising us. She did struggle with four children after our idiot father abandoned us at an early age to run off with a younger women (we never heard from him again), and while I can forgive her for her mistakes and understand I don't feel any kind of bond with her.

Makes me feel a little lonley at times. I honestly think if she passed on I'd shrug it off pretty quickly. That's quite sad, really.

I love my mother and wish i had the financial resources to help her out more.

But one thing she does that annoys me is that she creates problems for herself and resigns herself to being miserable and unhappy. For example she has a pinched nerve in her back which has resulted in knee problems. The rest of the family pushed her to go to the doctor and when she came back she said they couldn't help her.

As it turns out she was given a referral to a physiotherapist who could actually fix her problem. The reason she's not going is because the wait in the hospital will be too long and she doesn't think they can do anything (despite being trained to fix these type of problems).

Everyday I realize how much I'm like her more and more.

So I can blame all my flaws on her, but all of my good qualities too.

She's a complicated lady but I'm glad to know her.

So yes OP, I do.

There are some things I wish she had my back on, but she's done so much for me that I can't help but love her. She's 90% of the time a fantastic mom.

Shadybiz

Absolutely! My dad, too. Things were tough with him when we lived in the same house, but after I moved out and got married, we pretty much became best friends. My mom and I have always gotten along, though.

Jhoan

I'm somewhere towards the middle since any human, she has her flaws/quirks. She's helped me financially numerous times and continues to help me with my financial problems to this day by helping me pay off my outstanding tuition. I think she's one of the strongest women I know as raising 3 kids as a single parent is an amazing feat.

However, she's made a bunch of dumb and questionable decisions over the years and is incredibly stubborn to follow any advice my brothers and I try to give to give her. My brothers and I also think that she can and is secretive at times.

I don't see my father all that much but when I do, I can't help but think that I miss him since he's a happy-go-lucky guy despite having lost his father (my grandfather) in the past year and one of my uncles about 3-4 years ago. His smile and enthusiasm is infectious and his skills as a cooking god are amazing. My mother paints him as a villain for being absent growing up and remarrying/having my 2 half-brothers but I've forgiven and forgotten and respect him as a person.

Sami+

I do, but the culture disparity makes things hard with both her and my dad. They're very conservative Muslim immigrants and I'm none of those things so we don't really connect as people much. We live with each other and care about each other but it's rare that we see each other as anything other than our roles. She's mom, he's dad, I'm son.

I honestly get kind of jealous when I visit my friends' house, his parents are lovely.

Mimosa97

I love my mom more than anyone and anything. Even my girlfriend knows that. Can't lie.

She'll always be the love of my life.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yes I love my mother. But we have a very high strung relationship. Over the years, my sister and I have come to suspect that she is some form of a manic or possibly bipolar because she'll have explosive, uncontainable bouts of emotional rage. It takes its toll. She is also emasculating and keen to publicly point out your flaws. One example that always stuck with me - I have chronically dry skin. I'm with my friends and date before prom, taking pictures at my place, and she mentions very loudly that my skin is dry. I know that, I have medication for that. I went to dermatologists for that. It's not news. But she had to announce it in front of my friends, couldn't do it in private.

I get a lot of my aggressive tendencies from her - she's a "I don't take shit from anybody" type. But yes, I love her. She's my mom, at the end of the day, even when we bump heads, she will always be my mom and the first person to go to bat for me in a jam. I wish she was more like my dad - who I would honestly describe as my personal hero - but I still love her.

Krejlooc

Banned
She verbally and physically abused me. She neglected me. Locked me in my room very often. Bed time was 5-6pm every night, no matter my age. Hit me in the face and back with wooden spoons, shoved dirty dish clothes and sponges in my face. If I wanted water I had to drink out of the toilet. Wouldn't let me have baths unless my grandma was coming over. Never, not once, walked me to the bus stop or school.Left me emotionally scared and because of her I have trust issues. Didn't want me to get adopted, so could've been abused even more.

Short answer: she can go straight to hell.

This is awful, my condolences.

wg1DNJG.jpg

lol well played

I do love my mom and my dad. I disagree so much with some of the things they did and how they did them, but I love them dearly, and I believe they did as close to the best they could with the knowledge they had at the time.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
No. She tried very hard, but she's an actual bad person, so her efforts couldn't make up for what she is.

I suppose deep down I do love her, as in if something bad happenes I would be by her side to help and all. but I can't really bring myself to care for her on a day to day bases due to some... family matters... she abandoned and ignored me for more then 2 years, and finially now even thou it seems like she's trying to reconnect with me, there always seems to be some underlying motive there like she wants help with something or she wants to move in with me or what not. right now I'm in the stage of trying to avoid as much contact with her as possible while she's trying to get me to "reacquaint" with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom