• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer art work for a video game cover or just the logo by itself?

Do you prefer art work for a video game cover or just the logo by itself?

• Just the logo by itself, it's minimalistic that way.

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Art work, just the logo by itself is boring.

Votes: 55 59.1%
  • I don't give a shit as long as the game is good.

Votes: 30 32.3%

• Total voters

levyjl1988

Banned
examples.

just the logo by itself.

V0zWldg.png
8ykpTCl.jpg

or

art work

8GaE4gq.jpg
obn6TaL.jpg

ReBurn

Gold Member
I remember the days when all you had was the artwork and logo and maybe a screenshot on the back of the box to make a decision about whether to buy the game. These days I'm digital only so I don't care too much about the artwork and logo.

carlosrox

Banned
I mean, as long as it looks good I'm down with it.

OOT example may be iconic, but it's kinda boring. With Half-Life though it works well.

However the boxart examples in the OP are probably more interesting so I think I'll lean boxart.

FourEyesGod

Neo Member
hmmmm it depends, some games a very nice logo which look simple and detailed at the same time. But i like some artwork too. So both i will say.

ZywyPL

Banned
Minimalistic design for me. A logo and some simple, not overdone background always works well, whereas artworks are often very busy, crowded

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Art work, I would say. But if the game had lots of entries the logo with some minor design can work well.

8679b333-ee2e-4240-86bd-dd4333ab780d.jpg

I don't give a shit for physical games anymore, and think that the PS1 had the best physical packaging with these thick covers and mini books.

YWIxNzdiNGJmYmU3ZTg5NzkwMmE1OGJlNmExNDc1MzC1YCdCF6AA1b5mAyeBXCo6aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNjhjMzAzYzNmYjMwNjM2OTRmNTViZGRmZjI2MTVjOTMyNzA1NDVhMmFmYTYyZDEzYzZhMTJhNDUzZTkzY2I1OC5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Last edited:

Myths

I’m 100% sure most of us who were gonna go with Option 1: Logo opted for Option 3 once we saw it. Cause that’s all that matters really .

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
If the logo features beautiful art like those from Yoshitaka Amano on FF then yeah a logo on a white background is perfect.

But i also like covers that have illustrations like the original cover of Ico for example. In general i tend to not like CG covers much but those can also be aesthetically pleasing in the hands of a good graphic designer.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Old Intellivision boxes were good too. Most of their early boxes had this kind of look. Fit the era where movie posters had montage style. A circle or two of art to compliment an overall art pic. Looked nice. Too bad the games looked nothing like it. lol

The great thing too is the artist got material from the dev to make the cover because the content was accurate. The shit you see in Sea Batlle an AD&D were in the game. The hockey pic is generic though. That game was shallow, so the only thing the artist could had added was a penalty box.

220px-Sea_Battle_cover.jpg
71r4aOQ3uIS._AC_SY606_.jpg
220px-Ad%26d_cm_cover.png

Last edited:
What I do not want are CG renders on the cover. Everything else has the potential to be great.
I think it depends what we mean by cg.

Have you seen artbreeder? That can basically do almost any style.

Advanced enough CG is indistinguishable from real or any artstyle. But pretty Cg such as in ancient prerendered backgrounds of games and VR games does also have its place.

Top Bottom