• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer busy or understated fighting game backgrounds?

Understated with subtler environmental animations to add ambiance to the scene. Few or no onlookers at all.

There should be no people at all.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I lik both if done well.

But Kim-Wu's stage from Killer Instinct 2013 is probably the best and most detailed fighting game background I've ever seen.

You can see right down the street in the background and then the street that intersects you can then see pedestrians and cars going along it. Amazing.

william-kowach-kimwu.jpg

ScOULaris

Love me some KI 2013 backgrounds. They are definitely the cream of the current crop of fighting games.

They all have a lot of activity happening in the background, but off of the top of my head I don't think there are any onlookers in any of them. Unless you count the narwhals in Tusk's stage. ;)

I'm not sure I'd really call a building burning down around you "understated".

I just like having a lot of cool stuff to look at. If that means crowds of well-animated unique people, neat, if that means a gorgeous waterfall then that's fine too. I'm potentially going to be spending a lot of time on these stages, so they need to reward close examination.

2D favorites: Basically the SNK stuff everybody is already listing. Garou is probably the apex for me, but it's stiff competition. SF3 New Generation and BlazBlue are notable non-SNK examples.

3D favorites: Dead or Alive always had great stages, at least before 5 came out and set half the game on an oil rig. The Soul series always excelled too -- loved the time of day passing in Soul Blade -- 2 being a significant exception.

zoodoo

I dont mind neither as long as its not too distracting. I find Cinder and fulgore's stages in the new KI a little bit distracting because of all the light and fire in the background.

Gren

I generally prefer the busy ones. Even though I may not pay attention to them during an actual fight, it's fun to catch all the little details strewn about during training/single-player.

That second batch of Last Blade backgrounds also looks great to me, but largely because they're full-scale GIFs. When only a fraction of that is visible on the screen at any given time, it loses a bit of its grandeur.

EDIT: For 3D games I definitely go with understated BGs though, as low-poly/detail NPCs are much more of an eyesore. Xrd might be the only exception to that.

Zubz

Banned
I love them both, honestly; both can make the fight intense. So long as a stage isn't so flashy that it's distracting or so simple that it's boring, I'm a fan. I think I prefer busier stages when playing for fun, though, while I prefer understated ones when I'm actually trying to do well/for tournaments.

jett

D-Member
I lik both if done well.

But Kim-Wu's stage from Killer Instinct 2013 is probably the best and most detailed fighting game background I've ever seen.

You can see right down the street in the background and then the street that intersects you can then see pedestrians and cars going along it. Amazing.

william-kowach-kimwu.jpg

I don't understand how SFV ended up with the ugliest FG backgrounds of the generation.

Depends on the game and type of fighter. In 2d fighters moving backgrounds don't bother me at all, but in something like Smash Bros 4. the stages with a lot going on in the background are my least favorite.

Bayonetta's stage in Omega form is the absolute worst. There's just too much distracting things going on.

Gren

No thanks, the lighting in those mods look bad...

Karin's daytime stage is legit though.

ftCNR48.jpg

The stage lighting is a separate mod. You can get the stages with just NPCs removed.

Some don't make much sense afterwards (New York & China look like the Rapture just happened), but they still look better overall, imo.

ScOULaris

No thanks, the lighting in those mods look bad...

Karin's daytime stage is legit though.

ftCNR48.jpg
Yeah that definitely looks a lot better. I really think the biggest problem with most of the SFV stages is the combination of bad lighting in some cases and the infamous 30fps goofy NPC's.

V's has this low-poly thing going on I don't understand, like some are made to be distant but are very close, or a DoF wasn't added one. The onlookers in India look fine but not the dancers in Brazil for example.

vg260

I don't understand how SFV ended up with the ugliest FG backgrounds of the generation.

I know, right?

Anyway, I like a mix of both busy and serene. SFIV's construction stage had a a lot characters and activity and it was awesome.

fernoca

I like a mix if both.

Really like how it changes in Killer Instinct and then destroyed if you perform an ultra.

Mortal Kombat X has some really nice ones too. From calm, to hectic and a few with characters doing random things. Also liked how the arenas are wider.

nded

The stage lighting is a separate mod. You can get the stages with just NPCs removed.

Some don't make much sense afterwards (New York & China look like the Rapture just happened), but they still look better overall, imo.

I wouldn't even mind NPCs being 30fps if they didn't flail around so much. I also feel like people are being a bit unfair to SFV's Brazil stage, which I think looks alright apart from the NPCs.

What event/place is this where a bunch of plus-sized women in dresses? I'm so confused.

That was KOF 12. It and 13 had very, very exaggerated and busy background styles for the most part. Considering the same ladies were used in the France stage in 13, my guess would be France (they could be native French or visiting tourists for all I know).

To answer the OP, depends, but I've often leaned toward understated, or underpopulated stages. Moonlit Wilderness from T5, Grass and thunderstorm stage from Alpha 2, of course the Burning building in Last Blade 2, and most any SNK fighting background (and I love how it became a stealth (not really) SNK background appreciation thread).

Preference to how the bg character models can make or break how well a stage is liked. Most are just average at best, and 2D and 3D artist in my opinion do building/nature much better, so they stand out/get remembered. It feels like several of those modded SFV backgrounds prove my point, for my preference, especially NY stage.

I love how KOF XIV is continuing the trend of beautiful bgs for some its stages for SNK too

Golnei

Understated overall, but I don't mind the busier ones when it's the stage elements and environment themselves being actively animated, as opposed to that coming through the addition of spectators. That fetus stage from Darkstalkers is a good example.

both, but specifically both, the further each type goes in thier own direction the better, like the busy stages absolutely packed with detail, and very energetic crowds, while the restrained maps do all the can to give the sense of peaceful isolation.
the sense of contrast only makes each type feel even better.

on a differant note, i absolutly love KOF 13's Egypt stage

going from this,
KOF_XIII_Egypt_Stage_1.jpg

to this a couple rounds in
KOF_XIII_Egypt_Stage_2.jpg

and finally to this,
KOF_XIII_Egypt_Stage_3.jpg

From very calm and subdued, to frantic and energetic, the gradual changes in lighting causing the colour pallet to literally heat up, the monks(?) frozen in the first stage, beginning to animate in the 2nd, and frenzied movement in the 3rd. it all gives a palpable increasing intensity to any match, even ones as lame as mine (i really suck at KOF).
it really has the best of both worlds.

Top Bottom