• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you sometimes look at your life and wonder when it all started falling apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damerman

not at the moment no, but a year or a year and a half ago i did. It feels like it's coming together finally, hopefully i don't become complacent.

Uh, maybe 2008 when I majored in English, but to be honest, that was less falling apart and more a poor life choice that I've been living with :p

Granted, it's been a fucked up last few years, but I'm in a better spot now, both financially and just general doing shit I like to do. I still don't really feel happy though, and I certainly don't feel satisfied. I thought that would change when I found a job I didn't hate.

I think things will continue to get better, but I don't know if I"ll ever really be happy happy.

AntoneM

I fucked up everything at age 22. I had dropped out of about 1/3 of my classes at University over the span of 2.5 years (I was 19 when I started) and was on track to do the same again so I just dropped out completely. Moved in with my parents who had moved across country while I was away in school.

I was in a new city and didn't know anyone, had no friends, had no money. I lucked into a job through a connection my mother had made. I was in my mid 20's and was living with my parents and couldn't date because of that fact and since I had no friends I basically just spent my free time playing games and watching TV. I worked that job for about 1.5 years before deciding to go back to school at the local state university. Had to spend another 2.5 years in school to get my degree. Graduated when I was 26.

Then I decided that since this second stint at school went so well I would go to law school, so, that's what I did. Moved across country again to go to law school and fell into the old bad habits of my first time at university and finished in the bottom 1/3 of my class after the first year so I dropped out of that and moved back in with my parents at age 27.

Luckily one of the friends I made while I was in college tipped me off that his employer was hiring and told me I should apply. In the fall of 2008 at the age of 27 I landed a good job, the one my friend suggested. I was paying $900 a month in student loan debt (which I later consolidated into a longer term loan so I could afford rent, gas, and food).

Now I'm a "home owner" (mortgage), married, and have advanced significantly in my career.

All this is saying is that 19 is so young, so so so young. Keep your head up... everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom