• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think CD Projekt Cracow will helm The Witcher 4?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Don't think I want a Witcher 4. I LOVED the third game, but I feel like it's done. Geralt's story is done, and I don't want to play as someone else, honestly. 3 was perfect in almost every way. I want CDPR to concentrate on giving us the best possible Cyberpunk.

I would be utterly unsurprised if Witcher 4 happens within 3 years.

The cyberpunk game seems like a cool idea, but if the budget for it is anywhere near witcher3 (wasn't it around $80m?), that's going to be a massive gamble on a unproven IP. 2 projects side by side, with one being the witcher series, at least in principle sound safer for the company.

Yeah I feel the same. There is always a chance Cyberpunk could bomb. They need Witcher 4 ready to hit soon after just in case imo.

Edit: Though I'm thinking probably 4 years for Witcher 4. 2 years after Cyberpunk

robo

Playing as the young ciri after she disappeared as a little girl could work maybe, different chapters as she grows.

As a newcomer to the series, maybe something from when the conjunction first appeared?

This sounded random until books in job requirements.

It pretty much gives it away they're doing something related to Witcher, but it's hard to say what exactly. It may not necessarily be "Witcher 4" as we're imagining it - as in, a WRPG. It can be a spin-off of some sorts, though with my knowledge of everything Witcher, I refuse to speculate of what sorts.

Cue Witcher Vs Cracow Air Pollution educational minigame for iOS

At this point, if they pull it off, it *will* be successful.

Not necessarily. I mean slapping "From the creator's of the Witcher series" on the box guarantees a couple million sold but new IPs in gaming are always a risk. Yes I know Cyberpunk is an established lore but not in gaming.

I dont doubt CDProjekt Red, they are incredible devs but the consumers may not respond as strong. Witcher 4 however is a guaranteed hit at this point.

boskee

Remember that they're still working on the second expansion, so that job offer does not necessarily mean they're working on TW4. As far as I know CDPR Krakow contributed to the first expansion and the main game.

Nestunt

I am a bit ambivalent on this one

Loved the way they ended the third entry, and wouldnt mind for that to be the finale

and yet, more Witcher like that would be very welcome

Makareu

Ciri is basically GOD at the end of W3. Unless they strip her away from her powers, how can she be the protagonist? She can kill dozens in the blink of an eye.

What if we say that Ciri is now simply a witcher as
the price of stopping the white frost was her powers
?

Actually she would even be an undepowered witcher as she did not take the trial.

Maybe for the second dlc?

There is a chance, but barring (slightly) exceptional circumstances they shouldn't be looking for them right now, I think? Entirely speculation on my part, but I assume they would have already at least hired people needed for that.

There is a chance, but barring (slightly) exceptional circumstances they shouldn't be looking for them right now, I think? Entirely speculation on my part, but I assume they would have already at least hired people needed for that.

Yeah the hiring being for DLC doesn't really make sense. Given its release time frame and the size its supposed to be it should already be well under development. Also the hiring adds wanting someone who has shipped a AAA RPG is a pretty high metric. The hiring looks a lot more like a new title than DLC imo

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I subscribe to this theory.

Skelter

Banned
Would like a original character as the MC. Maybe even a character creator. It was the original plan for the first game before they went with Geralt.

Plus Ciri is too OP to be the lead.
And her voice actress was terrible

Meh, I say go with the whole "reviving the Viper school" thing and make a sandbox style RPG. I forget why Emhry turned sour on Letho though. Can someone tell me? It's been awhile since I've played.

tuxfool

Banned
Meh, I say go with the whole "reviving the Viper school" thing and make a sandbox style RPG. I forget why Emhry turned sour on Letho though. Can someone tell me? It's been awhile since I've played.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it was something along the lines it is easier to kill them than give them a new Viper school.

They're done with Geralt. Witcher 3 (and the books) set up an extremely likely protagonist for future games in a way that's kind of hard to miss.

yes and no. Especially with the wildly varying endings for the game.

Personally if they make a new one I'd rather they make a game you can customize/create your own witcher and be a new no name not-savior-of-the-universe witcher.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
yes and no. Especially with the wildly varying endings for the game.

Personally if they make a new one I'd rather they make a game you can customize/create your own witcher and be a new no name not-savior-of-the-universe witcher.

I'd prefer they didnt go the same direction of every other WRPG. I like that Witcher's protagonist is a person with a history and personality.

I'd prefer they didnt go the same direction of every other WRPG. I like that Witcher's protagonist is a person with a history and personality.

But the cast of characters already had their plotlines closed for the most part, except for secondary characters.

If they need to make a character star, then create a whole new one with their own backstory then. I don't want a new tale shoehorned in for say
Ciri
when the Witcher 3 ended the tale.

Sitris

Don't think will The Witcher 4. That would mean that it has to be a gigantic step up from the Witcher 3 which I think is a bit too much too expect from a newly founded studio. Could be a spin-off game set in The Witcher universe, like Mass Effect Andromeda.
Isn't Mass Effect Andromeda effectively Mass Effect 4, just with the number removed to entice new players to jump in? To me a spin off is a new game concept, either gameplay or narratively (telling a tale from a different perspective or different genre entirely, example Metal Gear Rising). Andromeda seems to be an extension of Mass Effect 3.

While whatever this game is, it could be a spin off but it would make more sense to just be witcher 4.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Isn't Mass Effect Andromeda effectively Mass Effect 4, just with the number removed to entice new players to jump in? To me a spin off is a new game concept, either gameplay or narratively (telling a tale from a different perspective or different genre entirely, example Metal Gear Rising). Andromeda seems to be an extension of Mass Effect 3.

While whatever this game is, it could be a spin off but it would make more sense to just be witcher 4.

Andromeda is a new galaxy, an entirely new roster of squadmates, a new lead character, a new ship... it is very much separate from ME3!

I'm actually fairly certain that when (and it's a "when", not an "if") they make the next Witcher game they'll drop "4". Geralt won't be the protagonist anymore, even if the game could be a continuation of sorts. The Witcher brand is now recognizable worldwide and they want to capitalize on that, not scare off newcomers.

Or they're just working on the third DLC. If the sales of Hearts of Stone are that good, they would be happy to have something to drop in the end of 2016/beginning of 2017. Cyberpunk is still far off and they'd want to keep the buzz around their studio going.

Andromeda is a new galaxy, an entirely new roster of squadmates, a new lead character, a new ship... it is very much separate from ME3!

Yeah but its still a "mainline game"

While the next Witcher game may not be titled Witcher 4 it will be for all intents and purposes. I doubt they do "spin off games".

Exentryk

Would be nice if Witcher 4 was already under way. As far as the game itself goes, I only really care for the following two things:
- A pre-determinted character (no character creator nonsense)
- Sword based action RPG combat (like Witcher 3, but addressing the issues that W3 had)

I am not really expecting W4 to be out until after 2020 tho.

P.S. - I'd even happily take more yearly expansions for Witcher 3 like HoS and BaW.

gabbo

Yeah but its still a "mainline game"

While the next Witcher game may not be titled Witcher 4 it will be for all intents and purposes. I doubt they do "spin off games".
one day they will fulfill the Saviour of Queens joke they made a few years back and we will have our Dandilion game.

Karl Hawk

Banned
''Ciri's too OP'' is not a good reason to not allow her as a playable main character (Neither the criticism about her outfit).

That said, a Witcher game with young Vesemir or Lambert would be neat as well.

phaze

He has written other novels as well, like the Hussite Trilogy. But I doubt the job posting is refering to those. They surely mean the Witcher novels.

I'm also expecting CDPR to continue making games set in the Witcher universe with other protagonists.

Hussite Trilogy and Sharley as the main character or bust.

Has Andrzej Sapkowski only written Witcher books?

No. He wrote another trilogy where Hussite war is background for action. Books are very good, but I don't think that they will use this theme. I don't think that people outside of Middle-Eastern Europe are interest in this setting :) He also wrote short novel about Russia-Afghan war. All books are fantasy.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I'd like to know why some people wouldn't like the idea of Ciri as a playable character in the next Witcher game. I won't accept ''she's a mary-sue'', ''she's too OP'', nor ''her outfit design is sexist/misogynistic/whatever'' as anwers

Banned
An excellent theory and one I agree with. Cyberpunk and witcher 4 being worked on simultaneously would be great. Or perhaps another universe that author has written.

No. He wrote another trilogy where Hussite war is background for action. Books are very good, but I don't think that they will use this theme. I don't think that people outside of Middle-Eastern Europe are interest in this setting :) He also wrote short novel about Russia-Afghan war. All books are fantasy.

Doubtful indeed. By the way, Warhorse Studios is already working on Kingdome Come: Deliverance which heavily features the Bohemian Hussite Wars.

Stoze

He is by far the best thing about the IP/games, though. Would be stupid.

I don't think too many would agree that just Geralt by himself is the best thing about the games. It's the world and other characters he interacts with that heightens him as a character/slate to put yourself in.

CDPR certainly has the talent to create a main character from the ground up and have them be fun to play as.

This is pretty interesting, for some odd reason I am kinda hoping for The Witcher 1 Remake in the style of TW3, that would be absolutely great, TW2 for PS4 would be great as well, and I bet we will be seeing The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition some time in 2016 or something.

But as far as the future of TW franchise is considered, I'm interested where they go next, if they choose Ciri, they'd probably strip her of all her powers that made her so overpowered, and she can make an interesting character and take on the world.

I hope they focus on giving us an established character to play with, a character with a strong voice, history, and a worth while story to tell.

LooZ

Neo Member
As far as I remember, these announcements are at least a few months old.

The Krakow branch has definitely been working and is still working on addons for TW3. The main person in the Krakow studio will be Michał Madej, who returned to CDPR a month ago.

He was born in Krakow and worked on The Witcher 1, then in Techland on, among others, Dead Island or Call of Juares, later on Far Cry 3 at Ubisoft.

The Krakow branch is very experienced, with developers mostly from Reality Pump, who created, among others, Two Worlds 1/2.

Top Bottom