• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think fileplanet's queue's are manufactured?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Fileplanet offers up a bigass long list of reasons why their free users have to wait in line to DL the files, and it seems reasonable enough, but do you guys think it's the truth? It's entirely possible that they just make everyone who doesn't pay for an account wait 30 minutes or so to DL their file, as an incentive to pay.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what they were doing, nor would it even really upset me. They offer a good service and have to get subscribers somehow. I'm just curious as to what some other people think.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What i wonder is, if they use their subscriber servers to help the free servers along if the subscriber servers aren't so busy, to keep queues to a minimum. I always max out my connection on their subscriber servers, though, speedwise..i've never had them go slow. and it's nice not to have to wait in line anymore.

I imagine they probably are just that busy that the queues would often leave you waiting 20 or 30 minutes (or a lot more with some files).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
In fairness to them, though, I'm sure server costs are ever spiralling. I can easily understand them pressing users into subscribing, even if that means setting artificial queues. They're very popular, and serve very big files to lots of people. It's prob impossible to make any money on that without subscription.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Fileplanet's queue is PEOPLE

soylentgreen.jpg

xsarien

daedsiluap
akascream said:
I want to remember not having to wait in line for the non-subscription link on occasion.

I want to remember not having to register to download a fucking patch for a game that should've worked when it went gold anyway.

GDJustin

gofreak said:
In fairness to them, though, I'm sure server costs are ever spiralling. I can easily understand them pressing users into subscribing, even if that means setting artificial queues. They're very popular, and serve very big files to lots of people. It's prob impossible to make any money on that without subscription.

Yeah, I'm not blaming them at all. This wasn't meant to be a thread pointing a big accusing finger at FP. I was just curious if anyone else had considered the lines not being real.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I'm not quite following the point of the thread. Of course they aren't "real", whatever that means. They were instituted to help regulate server usage.

SKluck

Banned
I don't really have any doubt about it. They can do whatever they want to do. I haven't downloaded anything from them in over 2 years. Every free server has 200+ people at 3AM? Suuuure.

GDJustin

fenekku-gitsune said:
I'm not quite following the point of the thread. Of course they aren't "real", whatever that means. They were instituted to help regulate server usage.

Meaning maybe there ISN'T in fact 600 people in line in front of me, and since I don't pay they just make me way a half hour, as an incentive to pay.

duckroll

SKluck said:
I don't really have any doubt about it. They can do whatever they want to do. I haven't downloaded anything from them in over 2 years. Every free server has 200+ people at 3AM? Suuuure.

Errrrrr..... that's some pretty retarded reasoning there. This is the internet, just because it's 3am for you, doesn't mean it's 3am for the rest of the world. In fact, when it's 3am for Americans, it's smack in the late afternoon for Asia including Japan and Korea. I know it's hard to expect for most people, but the world IS larger than your country. :p

GDJustin said:
Meaning maybe there ISN'T in fact 600 people in line in front of me, and since I don't pay they just make me way a half hour, as an incentive to pay.

maybe its

300 free downloads like yourself
300 guests.

just because you want it right now doesn't mean they have to give you anything for free right away. Wait your turn.

* and what's half an hour?

BenT

Since I used to work in the same office FilePlanet was run out of, I know a bit about this.
GDJustin said:
Fileplanet offers up a bigass long list of reasons why their free users have to wait in line to DL the files, and it seems reasonable enough, but do you guys think it's the truth? It's entirely possible that they just make everyone who doesn't pay for an account wait 30 minutes or so to DL their file, as an incentive to pay.
Yes, it is. It's possible to find no queue if you hit the site during an off-peak hour. In addition, hosted site files (you know, websites hosted by the Planet sites and such) have their own public servers with their own queues. These are frequently quite easy to get onto with no or minimum hassle. The lines are not manufactured.

gofreak said:
What i wonder is, if they use their subscriber servers to help the free servers along if the subscriber servers aren't so busy, to keep queues to a minimum.
Nope. That wouldn't make good business sense. All that extra bandwidth is for members only. FP has to strike a fine balance between letting guests download big files for free (bandwidth isn't free for FP!) and making them want to subscribe (which pays the bills).

hobbitx

Those are totally fake lines, I remember a while back you used to just be able to refresh the page a bunch of times and you'd get in. I think they fixed it though because it doesn't really work anymore. I hardly ever need them for anything anyway, a little applied googling can get you anything.

Some more obscure files (for example, older maps for quake2/3) have no waits.

What really gets me...is sometimes I't'll say 30 minute wait...and i'll end up waiting an hour or more because my place in line keeps getting pushed back for no apparent reason.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I believed the "The forum is too busy, please try again" message on GAF was manufactured so that the admins could collect money from us suckers

Fileplanet though, I've actually never been on queue, ever. But then again, I don't really download much from fileplanet except those speedruns videos

SKluck

Banned
duckroll said:
Errrrrr..... that's some pretty retarded reasoning there. This is the internet, just because it's 3am for you, doesn't mean it's 3am for the rest of the world. In fact, when it's 3am for Americans, it's smack in the late afternoon for Asia including Japan and Korea. I know it's hard to expect for most people, but the world IS larger than your country. :p

Oh yeah, I'm sure when its in the middle of the night in NA (3-6AM), all the Korean, Australian, Middle Eastern, Russian, whatever else gamers come out and download all at the same time on an english website. NA gamers dwarf the rest of the world. Yet the download queues are constant. And yes, I understand people can leave it on overnight.

hirokazu

SKluck said:
Oh yeah, I'm sure when its in the middle of the night in NA (3-6AM), all the Korean, Australian, Middle Eastern, Russian, whatever else gamers come out and download all at the same time on an english website.

except that's probably not far from the truth. funny though that apart from Australia, you only mention non-English speaking countries... i'd think there are plenty of people downloading from outside the US (incl. English speaking countries), especially if they're linked to them from forums as is common for files on Japanese servers here...

and the queue length's never been constant for me, sometimes its as long as 40min while other times its about 8-9min.

Top Bottom