• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you ignore the person David Cage. What do you think of Qauntic dream games?

violence

I really liked Heavy Rain at the time, it looked insane on PS3. Beyond I though was almost as good. I faded off of Detroit, I need to play it when I'm ready.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I dont need to ignore David Cage I'm not a fucking idiot from resetera or twitter. Detroit was awesome, loved it. Heavy Rain was great and then it became utter crap. Beyond Two Souls was pretty decent, nice ending. Fahrenheit had an amazing start and then turned to bat shit stupidity. Also Destroit still has the best fucking main menu ever.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

Fahrenheit was fun just for how mental the story develops into.

It's very hard to ignore David Cage when it feels like he's smearing his ego on the rest.
But ignoring him, I would say they are very middle of the road stories.

Can't really comment on the gameplay as it's the same in all. It is what it is.

Omikron is fantastic and the standout from all the rest. Great Bowie music

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Love Beyond 2 Souls and Detroit. The rest are.... not good.

Playing as Ellen (Elliot) Page in a story driven video game was fun....

Last edited:
I can’t ignore David Cage, he’s the only thing that gives those games any validity. It’s the equivalent of Lars Von Trier‘s films, I only accept the pretentious bullshit because I know it’s coming from an insane European.

Anyways I loved Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain but didn’t care for Beyond Two Souls. I still haven’t given Detroit a shot.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
They barely constitute as a “game” more of an interactive novel. I played Detroit through once and was bored by the end. These games are not for me.

Shakka43

Detroit was their best work and I liked it quite a lot. I enjoyed Beyond Two Souls a bit more than Heavy Rain but they were both solid games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I liked Heavy Rain and Detroit, but they would have been better if they would have had more traditional third person controls instead of gestures and QTE's.

SSfox

Awesome studio, and also what is up with Cage hate? sometimes he talk too much but he's still much better than most directors of nowadays.

Roberts

Only played Detroit. Not a fan of his overly in-your-face writing and dramatics but it wasn’t a bad game. I finished it and even contemplated giving it another playthrough.

bitbydeath

Fantastic games, and extremely memorable, why are we ignoring David though?

Taxidermy > Detroit > Heavy Rain > Beyond

Each game has really interesting stories and concepts, loved every game. Eager to see what's more coming, likely buy day 1.

played detroit and really enjoyed it. better than i thought itd be.
think i played a heavy rain demo way back when and thought it was lame.

no idea who david cage is and dont care.

Last edited:
I see their games as modern takes on point and click adventures, with great options to tailor your own adventure. I completed Heavy Rain two or three times to get different endings, same thing with Detroit.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've only played a demo/trial of Detroit unless I'm completely remembering wrong.

Haven't played enough of any of them to call them good or bad.

I've only played Fahrenheit on PS2 long time ago when it came out due to friends going gaga over it, and the endgame of it, well, that was quite a twist for the worse.

Didn't buy any other game after that (technically FH was a friend's copy I borrowed so didn't buy any of this guy's games), not because of his writing his shit, but just a preference of not being into these type of cinematic QTE games or just cinematic games in general with minimal skill ceiling involved.

I understand that there's a specific audience like you guys, who are a significant portion of the market, in the 10's of millions, waiting for every new release in the genre, which is completely okay and I have no problem with that. Free market and all that.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I dont need to ignore David Cage I'm not a fucking idiot from resetera or twitter. Detroit was awesome, loved it. Heavy Rain was great and then it became utter crap. Beyond Two Souls was pretty decent, nice ending. Fahrenheit had an amazing start and then turned to bat shit stupidity. Also Destroit still has the best fucking main menu ever.

I don't even remember exactly what he was accused of, but I just wanted to discuss the games and not talk about him.

yurinka

Same as if not ignoring him. I played Heavy Rain, Beyond and Detroit at launch and loved them. I think they are a very talented team with a unique style.

Not a fan of their “games”
Please tell me why are "games" and not games. Do you consider that Monkey Island, Ace Attorney or Journey aren't games?

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I really loved Detroit, tried several different things in the story, watched some youtubes about the possibilities like "what happens if X is killed early in game", "what happens if X always loses", "what happens if X is always rude, friendly, behaves strange"... Very impressive game, that they were able to be so extremely flexible and had story even for the least likely events.

I tried Heavy Rains, but I had problems with the controls. It felt like the game does not wanted me to play it.
Never tried the rest.
If they would release another Detroid like game I would probably play it!

Last edited:

SenkiDala

I love all their games since Nomad Soul. They're not GOTY but they're great, I enjoy the fun stories, trying different choices to see what happens.

And what about David Cage ? He's a good dude.

JimboJones

Not really my kind of game, I just ignore them, only ever notice them when he releases a new one and there is a bit of a media buzz about them.

brian0057

Banned
David Cage is the Hideo Kojima of the West.
Or more accurately, Hideo Kojima is the Japanese David Cage.

Last edited:
Detroit Become Human is their best. Heavy Rain is pulp noir in videogame form. Farenheit is entertaining surrealism. Omikron and Beyond Two Souls are not good games or experiences. Three out of five is not bad especially when there is nothing else like them.

Crayon

I've only tried heavy rain. Recently, in fact.

When he lost his other son I about died laughing and shut it off. The game was interesting enough being kind of unique but woof that writing.

Loved heavy rain. The people here calling garbage remind me of when that game came out and the 360 fans back then calling it trash only due to being on the ps3.. They had a intense hatred of that console and games, made no sense... Wonder if it's same people different Gen.

Beyond was good too, I have Detroit never played it yet. Indigo prophecy was great at first never beat it and omnikrom could of been awesome, but it was too early for that game as the controls were shit. I bought the game for cheap at staples in a used bin back in 2000. Also got undying the same day so it wasn't a complete loss.

Last edited:
Also why care about who makes the game? Do you not play God of war because Jaffe said something you don't like? Or gears due to cliff being a pretenous ass? No, if you do that it's resetera behavior... You can seperate art from the artist.

Fbh

Historically not a fan, but Detroit was decent.

Quantic Dream games are like C tier movies that make you sit through all the boring bits that movies usually skip over so they can add more "gameplay".
-Heavy Rain has a good concept but the writing and acting are terrible, it has one of the most hilariously bad plot holes I've seen in a story like this and the "twist" didn't feel earned IMO
-Beyond was boring in both story and gameplay and the lack of permadeath or any real consequences for failing most QTE's took away all the tension. It's also the worst offender at forcing you to play the shit that movies skip over.
- Detroit is the best one by far, the acting and writing is at least decent and the multiple ways in which scenes can play out is quite impressive. They also brought back the multiple protagonists that can actually die so the tension is back. I just think the plot is very generic, it's a generic future setting with a generic "what if robots had feelings" story setup that gets developed in the most cookie cutter way.

Denton

Fahrenheit first half - 9
Fahrenheit second half - 4
Heavy Rain - 8
Beyond - 5
Detroit - 8.5

Detroit is overall their best game of the modern ones.

Then there is Omikron. That is probably their best game and I wish they would remake it in modern tech AAA style. The ideas in that game were so fucking good, it just came out too early before the tech was really there to support the vision.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I have really low tolerance for their gimmicky "gameplay" so I will play one of those like once a decade. But I usually enjoy the atmosphere and intriguing world building. Acting is occassionally good as well.

Where they usually fall flat for me is in terrible, "beat you over the head with my artsy fartsy themes" writing. That plus I hate the cheap sentimentality that dummies usually fall for. There's like nothing interesting about most of these characters but David Cage will always throw in that element of "cute puppy getting kicked" to tug at your heart strings and it's always so fake.

Lokaum D+

Horrible. Can't believe they were given a Star Wars game.

Season 9 No GIF by The Office
well Ubisoft has been given one

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, wasnt the last two majors Ubsoft games a sonre-fest ? like, Watch Dogs Legions and AC Valhalla ?

Watch Dogs Legions? Yes. AC Valhalla? No. But even Watch Dogs Legions had better gameplay than the shit QD produces.

If you are a QD fan then we can just disagree my man.

Lokaum D+

Watch Dogs Legions? Yes. AC Valhalla? No. But even Watch Dogs Legions had better gameplay than the shit QD produces.

If you are a QD fan then we can just disagree my man.
i m not, but Ubsoft is far from a good developer nowadays, but if u are a fan no problem, no one is perfect.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Please tell me why are "games" and not games. Do you consider that Monkey Island, Ace Attorney or Journey aren't games?
I haven’t played Monkey Island but Ace Attorney has very distinct gameplay mechanics. I’m not even sure you can call yourself a videogame designer if you’ve made something like that chase scene or press X to Jason.

FeralEcho

I haven’t played Monkey Island but Ace Attorney has very distinct gameplay mechanics. I’m not even sure you can call yourself a videogame designer if you’ve made something like that chase scene or press X to Jason.
You sound like a 10 year old child who saw some memes about the chase scene and the press x to Jason shit on some youtube compilation and decided that's what the entire game must be like well hardy fucking har.

Heavy Rain also has very distinct game mechanics,especially for its time,how about the investigative aspect of the game not unlike something like point and click adventure games(or are those not games either?) or the consequences for the multiple choices that lead to different endings..Mind you this was a 2010 game,multiple endings werent all that common in the console gaming space back then.

Sure the voice acting for the most part is pretty awful and some scenes are downright hilarious but it had an identity and soul,it tried to tell a story.Not something i can say for 80% of the garbage "games" that get released these days.

And the formula was improved upon with each game until its final form with Detroit which is incredible.(And it rectified Heavy Rain's shortcomings by having amazing voice acting and an amazing chase scene to boot)

Top Bottom